[FINISHED] [Leaderboard] JamesMuddy vs Archlight Lux

JessicaMuddy

Rules:
-All Leaderboard rules apply.
First to 3 votes or most votes by the deadline wins.
All voters must elaborate on their votes.
Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.
-Written cards are allowed. (Must be in written format, cards with blank pictures are not acceptable)
-Cards must be PM'd to me.
-Remove any evidence of the card being made by you to ensure anonymity.
-In case a downtime happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Rewards:
-The winner gets a rep from the loser.
-All voters get a rep for voting.

Deadlines:
-Contestants have 48 hours to submit their entries.
-The contest ends a week after it starts.

Requirement:

A retrain of a WATER monster.

Card A

VpY6x2E.jpg

Card B

rXF0rQY.jpg

Okay, this is somewhat hard to decide, but I'll be judging this based on the current meta.

Card A has the advantage of being used in Mermail/Atlantean deck because of their various effects in moving WATER monsters around for effects. It's good fodder to get out after discarding for Abyssmegalo or Abyssteus. Being a Level 4, it's much more attractive as it provides a higher chance for Xyz Summoning Rank 4, mainly Abyss Dweller or Bahamut Shark. Of course, this in turn leads to a higher advantage for the player who is using it.

Card B has the advantage of a +1, which makes it already quite attractive in a WATER deck. However, because the secondary effect is mandatory, and although it does trigger effects, it's only available to activate during the End Phase. This is a turn-off because most decks would be able to recover on the next turn in today's meta, and WATER monsters focus on swarming to beat the opponent down. Otherwise, they make a big monster that locks or beats down the opponent down somehow.

In terms of usability, Card A has the advantage. So voting for Card A.

Edit: I screwed up. Card A wouldn't even resolve used in a Mermail/Atlantean deck. Changing vote to B.

Thanks to Dova for pointing out my mistake.

I get the flavour of Card A, considering it is a Dark World related card and its effect is similar. However, viability there is limited due to the fact that it works with fiends almost only, so let's look at Mermailanteans. The card would be surprisingly good, however, the card A) Doesn't work on being sent to the graveyard, so rip Nepta and B) only works on being discarded by a card effect, however Mermailanteans need to discard by costs, so no effect activation there.

B is just CALLING for abuse in Banifish.dek, I mean, if you get it banished somehow, and you can repeatedly banish it, you really can increase your hand advantage a lot. I would say its OP, but it has no summon for itself effect, and a slight debuff, which no one would actually ever pay, so I think all in all, it's balanced.

Vote for B because it can actually be used in some form, and I think Yuuji's vote should be redone considering Mermailanteans can't use A.

I get the flavour of Card A, considering it is a Dark World related card and its effect is similar. However, viability there is limited due to the fact that it works with fiends almost only, so let's look at Mermailanteans. The card would be surprisingly good, however, the card A) Doesn't work on being sent to the graveyard, so rip Nepta and B) only works on being discarded by a card effect, however Mermailanteans need to discard by costs, so no effect activation there.

B is just CALLING for abuse in Banifish.dek, I mean, if you get it banished somehow, and you can repeatedly banish it, you really can increase your hand advantage a lot. I would say its OP, but it has no summon for itself effect, and a slight debuff, which no one would actually ever pay, so I think all in all, it's balanced.

Vote for B because it can actually be used in some form, and I think Yuuji's vote should be redone considering Mermailanteans can't use A.

s*** forgotten it was a cost! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Nvm, voting for B. Card A can't be used at all in a decent WATER deck. Most of the discard effects are costs or either sending from the hand to the Graveyard, not discard. I screwed up.

Changing vote to B.

Archived