[MTG] Cymede, Prophet of Storms

Cymede, Prophet of Storms 1RU
Legendary Creature - Human Spellshaper
T R, Discard a card: Cymede, Prophet of Storms deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
When noncombat damage is dealt to another creature, except by this ability, Cymede, Prophet of Storms deals that much damage to target creature or player.
Only with the passing of my beloved do I see the futility in revering gods as mundane as Iroas. This will be a great new age for Akros!
2/4

I don't know magic rulings that well, but it sounds like you could infinitely deal damage if you had two of these guys, since they would each continue to inflict damage when the other one would inflict damage. Does the "except by this ability" mean for other copies of itself, like "you can only this effect of..." does in YGO?

I don't know magic rulings that well, but it sounds like you could infinitely deal damage if you had two of these guys, since they would each continue to inflict damage when the other one would inflict damage. Does the "except by this ability" mean for other copies of itself, like "you can only this effect of..." does in YGO?

You can only have 1 of the same legendary creature out at a time.

Ah, that explains it, I am not familiar enough with the concept of legendaries

Even so, you're right that this would be infinite damage to creatures if you had two copies of this, as 'this ability' only refers to that card itself rather than all cards with that card's name.

Spinda's right in saying that getting two copies of this is difficult because of the legendary rule. Clones can bypass this, as an example, though.

Even so, you're right that this would be infinite damage to creatures if you had two copies of this, as 'this ability' only refers to that card itself rather than all cards with that card's name.

Spinda's right in saying that getting two copies of this is difficult because of the legendary rule. Clones can bypass this, as an example, though.

The only clone that lets you bypass the legend rule altogether resulting in 2 or more copies of this card is Sakashima the Impostor. Unless stated otherwise, all clones copy everything of their source card, including the name.

Yes, she goes infinite with Sakashima, but that is still a two card combo, and she doesn't trigger on players being burned, so it doesn't necessarily get the kill anyway.

I noticed that after posting, which does make it a little bit less crazy, if you could have pulled it off. Would have been a fun combo though, even if stupid.

I noticed that after posting, which does make it a little bit less crazy, if you could have pulled it off. Would have been a fun combo though, even if stupid.

Tbh, the real reason she doesn't trigger on damage to players is because Repercussion is a thing, and that just felt to be too strong of a synergy.

Tbh, the real reason she doesn't trigger on damage to players is because Repercussion is a thing, and that just felt to be too strong of a synergy.

True, you would run out of creatures eventually, and the opponent may be more careful when you have a combo like that at your disposal, so probably not that big of a deal, but then again, I'm new to the game, could be a more powerful thing than I'm making it out to be.

Cymede, Prophet of Storms 1RU

Legendary Creature - Human Spellshaper

T R, Discard a card: Cymede, Prophet of Storms deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

When noncombat damage is dealt to another creature, except by this ability, Cymede, Prophet of Storms deals that much damage to target creature or player.

Only with the passing of my beloved do I see the futility in revering gods as mundane as Iroas. This will be a great new age for Akros!

2/4

Unfortunately, it does go pretty close to "infinite" in multiplayer if two players decide to cooperate with their Cymedes or somebody has a Sakashima or a Lazav.

Officially, it would be worded similarly to "Damage dealt this way doesn't trigger abilities of permanents named Cymede, Prophet of Storms", but that doesn't account for the two legendaries that can copy names.

A wording that might work may be "Damage dealt this way doesn't trigger abilities of permanents named Cymede, Prophet of Storms or permanents that copy a card named Cymede, Prophet of Storms", but that does get somewhat technical.

As for the card itself, Spellshapers pretty much died out with Dominaria and never appeared anyone else.

I don't really see the blue in this. Given that Anax and Cymede is just red and white, you could probably just stick him to mono-R.

Unfortunately, it does go pretty close to "infinite" in multiplayer if two players decide to cooperate with their Cymedes or somebody has a Sakashima or a Lazav.

Combos like this are honestly so bad they don't need to be taken into account.

Officially, it would be worded similarly to "Damage dealt this way doesn't trigger abilities of permanents named Cymede, Prophet of Storms"

You are correct on this account, per psychic battle.

As for the card itself, Spellshapers pretty much died out with Dominaria and never appeared anyone else.

Goldmeadow Lookout is actually flavored for Lorwynn, but that is just semantics. In any case, there really is nothing that prevents the mechanic from returning. It isn't flavor-locked in any way.

I don't really see the blue in this. Given that Anax and Cymede is just red and white, you could probably just stick him to mono-R.

First off, Cymede is female.

Second, she isn't an intrinsically mono-red character. Multiple cards demonstrate her to be a follower of Keranos, the Theros god of storms, who is UR aligned. Though her abilities do both fit within mono-red, her power and toughness do not, and adding blue to her color identity expands on flavor, serves as a balancing factor, and increases appeal for Commander purposes.

Combos like this are honestly so bad they don't need to be taken into account. You are correct on this account, per psychic battle.

Goldmeadow Lookout is actually flavored for Lorwynn, but that is just semantics. In any case, there really is nothing that prevents the mechanic from returning. It isn't flavor-locked in any way.

First off, Cymede is female. Second, she isn't an intrinsically mono-red character. Multiple cards demonstrate her to be a follower of Keranos, the Theros god of storms, who is UR aligned.

Though her abilities do both fit within mono-red, her power and toughness do not, and adding blue to her color identity expands on flavor, serves as a balancing factor, and increases appeal for Commander purposes.

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure the entire spellshaper idea has even been revisited since Future Sight, let alone the Spellshaper type. I think the timing of New World Order being implemented just as they were leaving Dominaria had part of the reason over the general idea's entire disappearance, likely attributing to it causing gameplay to become easily repetitive.

Cymede is the chick? My apologies - the art of Anax and Cymede doesn't make it easy to tell.

I guess maybe I'm not so much a fan of the toughness being the only blue part, but stat boosts from a second color worked for Watchwolf in the past (even though they've since printed a mono-G variant), so I guess it can work here too. Also, it at least provides more options for UR, which it currently lacks.

Archived