Petition to Ban Shounen Genre RPs/Who's Looking for Something Else?

Aix

Ban Shounen RPs  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should we ban these generic shounen RPs from our glorious section?

• Definitely.
    • Ehhhh, maybe not.
  2. 2. Would you be interested in other types of RP?

3. 3. What would you be interested in? (You can pick more than one)

Currently our roleplay section is oversaturated with shounen action roleplays, leaving those who aren't interested in that feeling quite discouraged. If you're one of these people, or you're simply looking for a little variety, speak up. Detail what sort of things you're interested in below as well as any potential plans to bring a little variety to our section.

It's a dumb idea to flat out ban them, but maybe actively encouraging other types would be a good solution.

I in particular am looking for stuff like Space Operas, or RPs with varied and interesting MECHANICS beyond just "a story." Like, actual involved stuff.

I really do want to give romance a shot, though.

#banthemallALLALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

not that i'm actually free to RP or anything right now but anything that doesn't involve combat as a main form of interaction with the host's world and other characters is pretty damn A-OK with me. and by anything I mean mystery. Doesn't have to be a murder mystery but it should be about a case.

As for other genres listed, an SoL would feel plain. An SoL setting, with mundane people and mundane objects and mundane(but strangely interesting!) tasks can probably be great but an SoL plot(an oxymoron in itself) conceptually doesn't mesh with an RP's nature as both creative writing and a game. At that point it's just collaborative writing. Romance I'm personally icky on but I can't see anything wrong with it. Josei, the hell's a Josei RP? What's 'josei' in this context? Psychological, I also can't exactly envision what counts. Horror would  be interesting but I feel this one's way too hard to do with an RP. I imagine it's hard to feel scared in this medium.

I guess I should make with the words.

While I feel it could be cool to have non-action RPs the question comes down to.

Do we have enough people who can write, and stick with, something without action? I've seen all too much people trying to do non-action things but then getting bored and rushing to the action.

And then of course we need people willing and able to come up with a lot of more in depth stuff for any of those other genres. Which there may not be as many people who would want to try.

More/less I would like to see it happen but am unsure it is feasible. If anyone tried it they'd have to really want it. Not just "This could be cool and new let's mess around with it".

Edit: I'm sure it's a joke/exaggeration but if the shonen RPs are outright banned I'm packing up and leaving RP behind. That's just silly.

Edit 2: Alternatively if someone wants to try a different genre while I might not be able to join I would be more than willing to be around for idea bouncing, and forcing them to stick with it best I can.

While I don't want to straight up ban shounen style rps (because a good shounen is nice every once in a while) I do think seeing a little variety the types of rps we have would help spice things up. Seeing as I'm one of the people who voted in the other catagory I'd like to see more dark fantasy rps. Something that would mix up the usually adventurers going on a quest to stop the big bad kind of thing. 

Only Mitcher and CowCow (sorta) got I was facetious. >.>

Guys...here me out here...what if there was an RP where the posters were the bad guys trying to do something evil? Like topple governments? Take over the world? It's a simple idea that could EASILY blossom into something beautiful.

Here: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/348327-undertakers-icnot-accepting/

Mystery is very difficult to pull off, especially with lots of players, how many would still be willing if it was Limited Acceptance?

Mystery's thing is that often the players don't actually have the mindset to do one when in one, or the host don't have proper ways to solve a stuck case so when the players get stuck, everything stalled and people got bored of it.

I'd really like a mystery focused RP, although a slice of life is also pretty good, although maybe not related to travel this time.

Anyway, how would a romance RP even work anyway?

>Says we have too many shounen RP's

>Is hosting a massive shounen RP

But I'm with Mako on this one....except on the whole mechanical mumbo jumbo.  Like a sci-fi military thing would be fun.  But yeah, I'm getting really tired of "people get *insert thing here* and then generate super powers and are apart of an organization."  Romance and SoL can't be good RPs because they're too mundane...you can just put those in the middle of a more supernatural story.  

>Says we have too many shounen RP's

>Is hosting a massive shounen RP

Someone's being selfish :P

OT: Personally, I don't see a ban on Shounen RPs being necessary. If people are tired of it that much, they can always just ignore the RPs themselves and leave them to not even hit official OOC status, never mind IC. But other genres would indeed be nice. Although I'm in no position to join any other RPs right now due to IRL issues (or host my own for that matter), I'd like to see a psychological or a horror theme in place. SoL's are nice too, but I haven't seen any hit all that well; not since the Advanced Clause officially came into effect anyway. They were more effective back several years ago... maybe 4-5?

Archived