[MtG] [EMN] Daily Spoilers 30/06

Rodrigo

Lupine Prototype will be tested by Modern Affinity players. Might not be good enough, but it's got enough pros. Doesn't die to Bolts like Steel Overseer for those who hate the tempo loss. Although, Ensoul Artifact only sees play in a few rogue Affinity lists. Might at least replace Ensoul in those lists.

Also, as the the resident "vampire expert" I can say that Condemned is ridiculous. Very well may be what the deck needed to work. Especially when you consider that if you discard a vampire to the effect and cast it with madness, it will receive the buff as well, allowing for explosive turns with Olivia.

Also, as the the resident "vampire expert" I can say that Condemned is ridiculous. Very well may be what the deck needed to work. Especially when you consider that if you discard a vampire to the effect and cast it with madness, it will receive the buff as well, allowing for explosive turns with Olivia.

Although, gotta say, double black makes the deck that much less consistent.

I don't know s*** about Magic: The Gathering lore, and I clicked to go here by accident, but if that is what this Emrakul chick does on a regular basis, I may just get into the game.

emmy doesn't show up often, and she's only on innistrad because of a little spat between old planeswalkers

here's a lore crash course

there's three eldrazi titans: ulamog, kozilek, and emrakul. all of them are enormous forces of nature that devastate entire worlds just by existing there. ulamog consumes, kozilek warps reality, and emrakul warps living minds and bodies.

so anyway, there's a world called zendikar, where the trio of titans were imprisoned by three planeswalkers a loooooooong time ago, like thousands of years ago. sorin, nahiri, and ugin all went their separate ways after the trap was complete, and a beacon of sorts was planted by ugin so if nahiri, the native zendikari, needed help keeping the titans in jail, she could call both of them

a few thousand years later, nahiri wakes up from a rock slumber (she's a lithomancer, a rock mage) and notices the eldrazi are a little loose. broods are starting to crawl about and the titans are looking like they're going to burst. nahiri calls out to the other two, but no response. ugin is dead (until some time travel magic brings him back way later) and sorin is just a dick and doesn't answer. nahiri manages to imprison them again, and then planeswalks to innistrad (sorin's home plane) to see if he's like, dead or something.

he's not, of course, and after the initial pleasantries nahiri gets pissed off that he brushed her off. sorin in the meantime created two things to protect innistrad and keep it off the radar--the helavault, a giant piece of silver that could imprison people, and avacyn, an archangel protector and beacon of light. avacyn intervenes in their battle and after a couple more close calls on sorin's part, nahiri gets slammed and jammed into the helavault, where she remains imprisoned for a looooooong time.

during her capture, avacyn ends up in the helavault too, for some reason. lots of demons too. the helavault is basically sorin's timeout zone that he sends whatever he doesn't want into. there's also the mending, which greatly inhibits the abilities and powers planeswalkers have, so nahiri is confused when she suffers mortal wounds when the helavault is finally shattered in the present day.

nahiri quickly planeswalks over to zendikar, and sees that her absence has given the titans enough time to completely break their bonds. zendikar is basically a wasteland, where it used to be a lush, adventurous world. nahiri gets summarily more pissed that zendikar got messed up because sorin tossed her away, so she heads back over to innistrad and starts building fancy rocks that beckon old emrakul, who was absent from zendikar, to come to innistrad to mess it up. all the planes mana causes people, werewolves, vampires, and even the angels to go crazy, including avacyn. she starts to kill people instead of protecting them. sorin unmakes her from existence, therefore unintentionally removing the last barrier of protection from the plane.

and now all the crazy gothic horrors are becoming lovecraftian horrors, all because of a little spat between planeswalkers regarding the containment procedures of the most destructive forces in the mutliverse.

Although, gotta say, double black makes the deck that much less consistent.

On the bright side, ally color mana is pretty good right now, and Drana already has the focus on black.

That said, since both insolent and Gorger are red, it makes curving difficult. Hell, crumbling vestige might even make it to help this color heavy game.

On the bright side, ally color mana is pretty good right now, and Drana already has the focus on black.

That said, since both insolent and Gorger are red, it makes curving difficult. Hell, crumbling vestige might even make it to help this color heavy game.

still got foreboding ruins, which is p bad but its the dream if you have a swamp in hand. lets you go gorger -> condemned -> drana/olivia

Honestly I think the handlands are amazing. The real question is whether they are enough with tangos, because this deck simply can't afford the tempo loss from evolving wilds.

Also the real dream is t1 Gorger, t2 condemned, t3 discard Olivia to condemned and cast her, t4 discard Drana to condemned, cast her, discard insolent or another Gorger to Olivia, cast them, then give them haste with Olivia as well before the condemned trigger resolves. Can you funking imagine.

decimator of provinces seems a bit ehh to be mythic, and the 3 green emerge cost seems extremely bad.

(doesn't mean i'm not gonna play it, though. I'm DEFIANTLY going to play it.)

I dunno, it's a slightly worse Craterhoof Behemoth. But Craterhoof Behemoth is incredibly good, so that's not saying much. I'm a fan.

I dunno, it's a slightly worse Craterhoof Behemoth. But Craterhoof Behemoth is incredibly good, so that's not saying much. I'm a fan.

yeah, i still like it. 3 green and a sacrifice is still good, for a 7/7 trample haste. it can probably win games easily.

I think at the very least, the Boar will be another budget option for people who want a Craterhoof effect without dropping $25 on it. Plus the emerge ability is likely going to be somewhat relevant.

Decimator of Provinces is a lot better than people give him credit for. If you've been curving out well, you sac your T4 drop on T5 to emerge this guy, and suddenly you have a 7/7 with haste ready to beat down your opponent's doors - plus whatever else you have lying around, made that much more powerful. And your opponent can't counter that second effect.

He's of course not as good as Craterhoof, but Craterhoof was a mistake (much like the other AVR mythics). If the Eldrazi ramp deck continues to see Standard play, I'm certain Decimator will find his home there.

Decimator of Provinces is a lot better than people give him credit for. If you've been curving out well, you sac your T4 drop on T5 to emerge this guy, and suddenly you have a 7/7 with haste ready to beat down your opponent's doors - plus whatever else you have lying around, made that much more powerful. And your opponent can't counter that second effect.

He's of course not as good as Craterhoof, but Craterhoof was a mistake (much like the other AVR mythics). If the Eldrazi ramp deck continues to see Standard play, I'm certain Decimator will find his home there.

Having played a fair bit of Hoof in standard I can say that the difference for standard is actually pretty tiny. I would normally get +4/+4 max. I've had times where I happily fired it off for only +2/+2. Though that often involved Resto shinanagin. The lose of the scaling is most felt in commander where it giving +10/+10 is not at all uncommon and is something that is just really hard to replace.

Also, between Grapple, Avacyn, and this we've gotten 3 cards that do a decent imitation of some of my favorite cards in magic. (I may or may not have loved Abzan reanimator when it was in Standard).

emmy doesn't show up often, and she's only on innistrad because of a little spat between old planeswalkers

here's a lore crash course

there's three eldrazi titans: ulamog, kozilek, and emrakul. all of them are enormous forces of nature that devastate entire worlds just by existing there. ulamog consumes, kozilek warps reality, and emrakul warps living minds and bodies.

so anyway, there's a world called zendikar, where the trio of titans were imprisoned by three planeswalkers a loooooooong time ago, like thousands of years ago. sorin, nahiri, and ugin all went their separate ways after the trap was complete, and a beacon of sorts was planted by ugin so if nahiri, the native zendikari, needed help keeping the titans in jail, she could call both of them

a few thousand years later, nahiri wakes up from a rock slumber (she's a lithomancer, a rock mage) and notices the eldrazi are a little loose. broods are starting to crawl about and the titans are looking like they're going to burst. nahiri calls out to the other two, but no response. ugin is dead (until some time travel magic brings him back way later) and sorin is just a dick and doesn't answer. nahiri manages to imprison them again, and then planeswalks to innistrad (sorin's home plane) to see if he's like, dead or something.

he's not, of course, and after the initial pleasantries nahiri gets pissed off that he brushed her off. sorin in the meantime created two things to protect innistrad and keep it off the radar--the helavault, a giant piece of silver that could imprison people, and avacyn, an archangel protector and beacon of light. avacyn intervenes in their battle and after a couple more close calls on sorin's part, nahiri gets slammed and jammed into the helavault, where she remains imprisoned for a looooooong time.

during her capture, avacyn ends up in the helavault too, for some reason. lots of demons too. the helavault is basically sorin's timeout zone that he sends whatever he doesn't want into. there's also the mending, which greatly inhibits the abilities and powers planeswalkers have, so nahiri is confused when she suffers mortal wounds when the helavault is finally shattered in the present day.

nahiri quickly planeswalks over to zendikar, and sees that her absence has given the titans enough time to completely break their bonds. zendikar is basically a wasteland, where it used to be a lush, adventurous world. nahiri gets summarily more pissed that zendikar got messed up because sorin tossed her away, so she heads back over to innistrad and starts building fancy rocks that beckon old emrakul, who was absent from zendikar, to come to innistrad to mess it up. all the planes mana causes people, werewolves, vampires, and even the angels to go crazy, including avacyn. she starts to kill people instead of protecting them. sorin unmakes her from existence, therefore unintentionally removing the last barrier of protection from the plane.

and now all the crazy gothic horrors are becoming lovecraftian horrors, all because of a little spat between planeswalkers regarding the containment procedures of the most destructive forces in the mutliverse.

I am a terrible person for not replying sooner. Thanks for the lore crash course. If Emmy is here, where are the other two titans? Also, what starter decks would you recommend getting?

I am a terrible person for not replying sooner. Thanks for the lore crash course. If Emmy is here, where are the other two titans? Also, what starter decks would you recommend getting?

Ulamog and Kozilek were burninated by Chandra at the end of OGW. We presume they're dead but it's unclear if "dead" can even apply to the titans.

kozi and ulamog were still romping around on zendikar, but a group of "newwalkers" (post mending) created a group called the Gatewatch which is basically the avengers of the multiverse, dedicated to serving and protecting the planes from threats like the eldrazi. they did a huge power play on the two and destroyed them, so emmy's the only one who is still roaming

a good place to begin is to buy an intro deck or a deckbuilder's toolkit, both will get you on your way to playing casually

Archived