Fate/ Kalleid Liner Dr3i (the 4th season)

well, it aired today ladies and gentlemen, the beginning of the current pinnacle of the nasuverse, kalleid liner drei, in my opinion is currently the greatest series in the fateverse, and silver link is upping their work with redesigned characters, repairs to what was season 3's horrible anime original ending, and the introduction of the newest (non servant) cast members of the fateverse. if the OP and the leaked ost was anything to go by, this season is where silver link puts their budget where their mouth is. (and so far they are)

EDIT: at this point in time (episode 11), it appears i was wrong, they are still adapting faithfully, but it appears their overall budget is elsewhere at the moment.

for those who hate the loli fanservice of the past two seasons, rejoice, there is less of it here, for those who enjoyed the loli fanservice of the past two seasons, rejoice, because there' still enough badass loli fights to make up for the lack of fanservice also the cops will be with you momentarily. The season's confirmed for 12 episodes, so if my judgement's correct, they might have to skim over a few details to get to where they hint at, but i have faith in silver link, and the episodes to come will be a real treat. if you generally enjoy the fateverse, but have yet to start the kalleid liner series, i suggest you do so now, because this is where it proves it's worth. there's new characters, veteran characters make reappearances in the strangest ways, and the story goes from that of an IV drip into a full on info dump of action and badassery. this is where heavens feel and unlimitad blade works meet. do you have enough swords? it does not matter, because you will by the end of this adaptation.

[spoiler=OP, not as weak as the previous ones, but not quite competing with the better ones of the season imo]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pqNKcHi_Us

there's not video of the ED at the time of posting this, the ED is decent, but hopefully they evolve it as the story goes along, or it'll really be boring. in a few episodes time.

[spoiler=alternate OP] https://a.pomf.cat/zqbtqs.webm 

Not as hyped as I would be for this because of how 2wei ended. Plus I haven't been following anime news as much recently, so I didn't even know this was coming out this season.

And well, 2wei was just a little disappointing overall. Still excited to watch this, though!

is drei the one where shirou goes full mind of steel?

no, mind of steel was where shirou kills one for the sake of many, this would be heaven's feel, where he fights many for the sake of one.

And well, 2wei was just a little disappointing overall. Still excited to watch this, though!

Zwei was not supposed to end that way. which is why a lot of people were confused at the ending.the events of this episode (the thorough beatdown and miyu's abduction) should have been the ending of last season. the studio apparently wanted to fluff up the endng, so we just got the watered down generic version you saw at the end of zwei.

Saw the first episode! Was rather enjoyable so I'd pretty much forgotten about the 2wei stuff by the time the plot started happening.

Looks like they fixed Shirou's design. Sapphire had to get a new seiyuu as well.

Girl after the credits scared the CRAP out of me. I don't know why I reacted so strongly to that, but it shocked me real bad. :c

So I decided to bite the bullet, become a pleb, and gave Drei a watch without having went through Ein and Zwei. yesiknowimdumbillgettotheearlierpartssoon

I feel pretty lost but holy sheet that was hype. Illya finds herself in a new unknown world and this Miyu friend of hers who is totally crushing on Shirou is nowhere to be found, I feel that sorta plot has some universal appeal even if some of the background info is lost on me. I can sorta infer the Illya clone of darker complexion used to be an enemy or something and they probably had a big fight at the end of the previous season, leaving some damage behind and stuff. And this Miyu chick (who I'm fairly sure is the kiss victim from that famous GIF from Zwei) is apparently a parallel worlder. Is this a twist I kinda should be surprised at or no?

The episode gave me some serious Nanoha vibes, which is not a bad thing at all. The action scenes were done damn well and the show in general just looks pretty. Fem gil looks weird af though. Hot, but weird.

really, if you want to get an understanding, just watch the first season, the second season, and the last 4 episodes of the third season. so, about 24 episodes total. but yeah, even if you only watch the first season, that should be enough to give you an understanding of the mechanics of this universe. you'll miss out on bazett being awesome, but small sacrifices

Welp I spent most of today reading through Illya's manga. Just finished 2wei so now I have all the context I need to understand 3rei.

HOLY sheet WHAT THE funk WAS THAT LAST BATTLE? I'm guessing the anime version of 2wei ended differently, considering how 3rei's anime started and all. Rewatching the 3rei episode, I have to say I'm very satisfied with how the designs are adapted.

Can't wait for more Bazett. She was awesome.

HOLY s*** WHAT THE f*** WAS THAT LAST BATTLE? I'm guessing the anime version of 2wei ended differently, considering how 3rei's anime started and all. Rewatching the 3rei episode, I have to say I'm very satisfied with how the designs are adapted.

yep. it pissed off fans that they went with filler fluff for one of the most amazingly pivotal moments of the manga. the fight itself was nice, but they essentially cut out the end of the fight where everybody got stomped by the two invaders.

for reference, if you want to be pleasantly surprised, don't start 3rei yet, if you want to be extremely hyped, go catch up on 3rei right now.

yep. it pissed off fans that they went with filler fluff for one of the most amazingly pivotal moments of the manga. the fight itself was nice, but they essentially cut out the end of the fight where everybody got stomped by the two invaders.

for reference, if you want to be pleasantly surprised, don't start 3rei yet, if you want to be extremely hyped, go catch up on 3rei right now.

Before I realized it, it was midnight for me and I read up to where the 3rei anime'll probably end(might have to cut a few things tho).

[spoiler=3rei stuff]sheet I haven't felt so excited since Heaven's Feel. I'm not even sure where to start. From the very moment Shirou went Nine Lives there was no turning back, my eyes were glued to the screen until the end of the battle. In more ways than one, 3rei feels like a thematic continuation of F/SN and that is brilliant. Seeing a parallel world Shirou fight against a doll using Gilgamesh's card was hype considering UBW. Seeing that insane chick who is probably Sakura threaten child Gil was spine-chilling considering Gil's fate in HF. Hell, Shirou in general in this is pretty much what happens when you take HF Shirou to its logical conclusion and make him less frail. I want to say this is the Illya route I've been waiting for but I guess it's more like the Miyu route.

On a lighter note Kirei is for now, a gag character, and I love that. Truly this manga is a continuation to Heaven's Feel, for if you take Kirei's character in HF to his logical conclusion he becomes this. A mapo-obsessed ramen chef.

Before I realized it, it was midnight for me and I read up to where the 3rei anime'll probably end(might have to cut a few things tho).

[spoiler=3rei stuff]s*** I haven't felt so excited since Heaven's Feel. I'm not even sure where to start. From the very moment Shirou went Nine Lives there was no turning back, my eyes were glued to the screen until the end of the battle. In more ways than one, 3rei feels like a thematic continuation of F/SN and that is brilliant. Seeing a parallel world Shirou fight against a doll using Gilgamesh's card was hype considering UBW. Seeing that insane chick who is probably Sakura threaten child Gil was spine-chilling considering Gil's fate in HF. Hell, Shirou in general in this is pretty much what happens when you take HF Shirou to its logical conclusion and make him less frail. I want to say this is the Illya route I've been waiting for but I guess it's more like the Miyu route.

On a lighter note Kirei is for now, a gag character, and I love that. Truly this manga is a continuation to Heaven's Feel, for if you take Kirei's character in HF to his logical conclusion he becomes this. A mapo-obsessed ramen chef.

[spoiler=3rei stuff]

assuming you stopped there, i have to say:

i said it before, and i' believe it bears repeating, 3rei is what 2wei and ein were made for. the first two, were cardcaptor and nanoha levels respectively, this is madoka level, with the familiar tinge of heavens feel, UBW and a bit of zero tossed in. there's more to the cards than that fight lets on, and the things from shirous flashback are heartrendingly badass. this is still essentially the illya route, it's just that both her and shirou are fighting for the same person/ people. if they make it up to the ig alima/ roll cancel scene, i would be more than satisfied with this season.

kirei is not just for gags, he actually has his own role to play, and if things go the way i think they will, kirei will have his time in the spotlight in the future.

[spoiler=3rei stuff]

assuming you stopped there, i have to say:

i said it before, and i' believe it bears repeating, 3rei is what 2wei and ein were made for. the first two, were cardcaptor and nanoha levels respectively, this is madoka level, with the familiar tinge of heavens feel, UBW and a bit of zero tossed in. there's more to the cards than that fight lets on, and the things from shirous flashback are heartrendingly badass. this is still essentially the illya route, it's just that both her and shirou are fighting for the same person/ people. if they make it up to the ig alima/ roll cancel scene, i would be more than satisfied with this season.

kirei is not just for gags, he actually has his own role to play, and if things go the way i think they will, kirei will have his time in the spotlight in the future.

[spoiler=3rei stuff]funk funk funk funk

I THINK I CAUGHT UP. UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS.

"An older brother has to protect his little sister, doesn't he?" Damnit this line is great. Think I'm crying right now. Damnit, the end of HF with Illya doing the same was sad enough.

Felt kinda bad for Shinji at the end there. funk the Ainsworths.

Yeah, Kirei's jumped up to relevancy pretty quick. I hope to god he doesn't become the main villain or final boss in this iteration for once. .

Waiting each month for a new chapter is going to be painful now. Assuming this flashback arc'll end in a couple of chapters, I can see the anime adapting up to Shirou getting freed(would be an incredible way to end a cour), and then announcing a second season that'll adapt from then onwards to the end of the flashback.

Y O R O K O B E S H O U J O

R E J O I C E G I R L

[spoiler=New ep aired. that episode was good.]After having caught up to 3rei's manga, seeing early 3rei's Shirou again brought a tear to my eye. That was some great voice acting. Heil onii-sama.

Speaking of voices, Gil's was more feminine than I imagined, although the 'Mongrel!' in the episode preview was sublime too. And naturally, Kirei is as perfect of a human being as ever. Being an anime, the show naturally has less detail in its visuals than the manga by default and it was a little jarring at first but I got used to it.

Now will the retreat and reunion with Kuro/Bazett happen next episode or the episode after?

Tanaka's butt is also a miracle.

I'm in love with the ED song. The visuals itself is okay, a little plain, but the song is great. That 90's pop vibe really, really gets me.

[spoiler=ep2] this episode felt weaker than the manga until that last scene. the kirei comedy was decently timed, but i guess the manga just had the larger impact on me. either way, this is where it should be going from good to amazing. i can't wait for the full friend scene.

odds are the retreat'll be the last, or second to last scene of the next episode at the pace they're going.

For whatever reason they didn't adapt this page, which is a shame. I guess they were really hardpressed for time with trying to fit everything else in but still. They could go the Re:Zero route and like, not show the OP/ED very often and fit in some extra minutes, that would be nice.

knew there was something that felt like it was missing from the ramen shop scene. couldn't tell what though. yeah, the ED is nice, but really lackluster imo. they'd definitely do better with including actual content. won't complain though, they do this rather often in the anime (the first season left out a ton of info from the manga, even if it was still relatively good), so long as they don't cut it up like the ending of 2wei, i can live with it. hell, they do more inner exposition per season than UBW at least, so i can't say they aren't trying.

They actually adapted 3 chapters and it mostly didn't feel too rushed, which is a miracle if you ask me. The seconds leading up to the transformation scene was a bit off-putting, and some scenes didn't have as much weight as the manga, but in general it was a fun episode. Ko-Gil's 'ZASSHU' was great, Beatrice was great, everyone in general was pretty great.

[spoiler=dat darius voice]can't wait to hear julian's

little gil won the episode. hands down. and i loved the entire episode. they highlighted some scenes amazingly, like miyu in the window, and the subtle changes in gils personality as the fight went on. the attention to minor details is pretty astounding, even if they somewhat gloss the more brutal scenes (like tanaka's damage). the animation's not UFOTable quality, but it's definitely passable, and really, that's all i ask for outside of fight scenes, and the casting is good too. hopefully, they don't gloss the ritual prep, since that was one of the scenes that drew me into the world further. would understand if they did, but hopefully, they don't.

as far as comparing it to the manga. seeing as i read the manga first, it doesn't hold the same weight in comparison. i already know what's going to happen, and while it's still being adapted amazingly well, my hype probably isn't gonna be rising fast until we get to the real introductions. episode still gets a 4/5 from me. proper adaptations are never something to sneer at, the actual scene adaptation is pretty much panel for panel, and the fights are pretty well done. not the best from silverlink, but not the worst by any measure.

• 2 weeks later...

the gears slowly wind up for the finale. went back because something felt off about the episode. turns out they cut gils' hot spring portions in favor of the new loli. sadness. either way, wasn't a bad episode, so things will finally begin to pick up.

Haven't caught up for a while. I blame /Grand Order, that sheet is addicting. But anyways, finally found time to catch up to several shows just a few hours ago.

turns out they cut gils' hot spring portions in favor of the new loli. sadness

jesus christ, no wonder i felt something was missing. i was anticipating it and then somehow i forgot. at least we got to see bazett in the bath, i'm happy with that

erika's voice wasn't quite what I was expecting, but as long as she does the happyface-sadface transition page well enough I have no complaints

[spoiler=manga stuff]Also I'm not quite sure but I could've sworn they tried a little harder to hide Darius' 'secret' in the manga. As the dude walks away with Erika we even see him dispelling his illusion. And Tanaka's drawing on the wall, was it always that clearly shown? and while we're at it, what exactly was the point of Darius again? Why not just appear as Julian from the get-go? What was the point? Did they say why and I just forgot?

• 3 weeks later...

i see it's time for me to catch up to the series then. i've been holding off on it, i'm about 3 episodes back by now, waiting till i can marathon up to the last scene. 

also, for the manga, [spoiler=manga] if you've caught up to it, that entire battle with emiya and angela was glorious. and i need it animated now. i will wait, but i really wish it could be animated immediately.

Archived