[MTG] Jace, Master of the Mind

Flame Dragon

An idea I've had for a Jace card for a while. We've never seen his cards do something with his illusion abilities and his ability to pinpoint and remove select memories seems cool to do on a card.

Jace, Master of the Mind 3UU

Planeswalker - Jace

+1: Target player puts the top four cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. If one or more creatures is sent to the graveyard this way, draw a card.

-2: Create a 0/1 blue Illusion creature token. It has "Sacrifice Illusion: Counter target spell or ability that targets a creature, player, or planeswalker you control.".

-7: Exile up to 10 cards from target players library.

Really loving the take on exiling as a boss effect, especially its power. Requiring 4 uses for a useful planeswalker and the main ability works well. Although, I must ask, why does the Illusion counter targeting? Is that something lore wise, or just something that would be helpful? Also, does it Sacrifice any Illusion, or just itself?

Really loving the take on exiling as a boss effect, especially its power. Requiring 4 uses for a useful planeswalker and the main ability works well. Although, I must ask, why does the Illusion counter targeting? Is that something lore wise, or just something that would be helpful? Also, does it Sacrifice any Illusion, or just itself?

The flavor idea behind it is that the play mistakingly targets the illusion thinking it is the creature/player/planeswalker they wanted to target and when they do it pops. I figured the cleanest way to do that on a card would be to have it sacrifice itself and just stop the spell since the range of effects you'd want to stop with this can't always target a creature (such as discard).

Just sacrifices itself. The effect is built into the token. The token pushes what kind of effects a token can have, but I think its in the range of acceptable.

Templating time!

+1: Target player puts the top four cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. If one or more creatures is sent put into the a graveyard this way, draw a card.
-2: Create a 0/1 blue Illusion creature token. It has "Sacrifice Illusion this creature: Counter target spell or ability that targets a creature, player, or planeswalker you control.".
-7: Exile Search target player's library for up to 10 cards, and exile them. That from target players then shuffles his or her library.

Ult is cleared up to ensure that you actually pick out those cards a la Sadistic Sacrament instead of being misread as exile-milling 10. Unless you intended it that way which makes it a rather weak ult. Also makes it weak to things that block searching, like Stranglehold.

Anyway, it's a pretty good Jace that rolls together a little bit of every ability that we've seen him do. -2 is novel and a good way to adapt the whole Illusion thing.

Templating time!

Ult is cleared up to ensure that you actually pick out those cards a la Sadistic Sacrament instead of being misread as exile-milling 10. Unless you intended it that way which makes it a rather weak ult. Also makes it weak to things that block searching, like Stranglehold.

Anyway, it's a pretty good Jace that rolls together a little bit of every ability that we've seen him do. -2 is novel and a good way to adapt the whole Illusion thing.

Thanks for cleaning up the template. Yea, thats what I want.

As I said earlier I just want to see a Jace that does something with illusions since its a really major part of his power set and over 7 cards none have.

• 2 weeks later...

THat's not really in-flavor for blue, though, search and exile is more a black thing. Maybe exile top ten and cast one without paying it's mana cost?

THat's not really in-flavor for blue, though, search and exile is more a black thing. Maybe exile top ten and cast one without paying it's mana cost?

While I agree it isn't really in flavor for Blue it is VERY in flavor for Jace. Jace has been shown to be able to pin pointedly remove memories. It is a bleed, but I wouldn't call it a break.

Archived