Prison reform.

vla1ne

well, it's no secret that american prisons are badly in need of reform, so the discussion i wish to foster today, is the best way to go about said reform. not sure if this discussion would be better off in debates or in general, but considering the nature of the discussion, i decided to go down the safer route. so, with that said:

what do you guys think is most in need of reform in prisons, and what do you think would be the best manner to go about it. not asking for extreme detail (though it's welcome if you wish to go into it) just asking for an outline, what do you think needs to go, what do you think needs improvement, and what do you think is fine, in relation to prisons (i personally mean american prisons, but really, prison in general works too,)

just wanted to post it while the idea was in my head, before i forget it, so i'll post my own opinion a little later on. will also add stats and figures if anybody sees fit to request them.

For one, I think people end up in them all to easily. The first way to "reform" prisons is to make them not needed as much. Which means ending the war on drugs. Decriminalize Weed and Cocaine, have those two be government sanctions, treated (so no cutting) and taxed.

For hard Drugs, we should follow the Swiss method of treatment, instead of chucking people in jail. That'll clean up a lot (and maybe ease some racial tension too)

Seriously though, a killer and dude smoking weed shouldn't be in jail for the same time

Prison shouldn't be about punishment, it should be about rehabilitation. As it stands Prisons in the US, despite the US having the largest imprisoned population globally, you make far too little an attempt to reform people in jail. Instead you have this weird focus on making them suffer for there crime instead, to the extent where you can legally use prisoners for work against there will (Thanks 13th Amendment. You actually gave less rights to criminals than Slaves there). 

You stop focusing on the punishment, you start focusing on rehabilitation, you give prisoners back some of there liberties once they leave jail (I.E. the ability to work as easily and the ability to vote). 

Because there really is no better way to force people back into crime than to just throw them on the street with no real opportunities or support. They still need food and money, so turning to crime will naturally be there best solution.

• 2 weeks later...
strong start, but it does indeed require more. always good to have a first step, but the follow-up is what's potentially going to convince me that this is a step in the direction of actual correction instead of just them wanting to avoid bad press and lawsuits.

the world is a horrible place.

While this seems like a good idea at first, I wonder, where do you house people who have violated a law if they can't afford bail?  I mean, if they break the law you don't just let them walk free, right?

I'm all for prison reform if they aren't treated humanely, but there is a fine line between punishment and rehabilitation in comfort. An example of this is Sweden where criminals live in some high-rise "humane" prison with a much higher standard of living than those in poverty. That's a red flag.

I for one applaud the message, but I do not trust the messengers to not go overboard and all of a sudden start to belittle murder or any other heinous crime.

Archived