[MtG] Announcement Day

Rodrigo

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/announcement-day-2016-08-31

• "Rise Among the Worthy" on the plane of Amonkhet. Discover a world ruled by Nicol Bolas when the first set of the Amonkhet block releases April 28, 2017.
  • Nicol Bolas is among the most powerful beings in the Multiverse—don't face him alone! Much like the originalArchenemy release, Archenemy: Nicol Bolas pits you and two friends against a single powerful foe where you must work together to survive—or fall to Nicol Bolas himself.
  • The second set in the Amonkhet block, Hour of Devastation, releases July 14, 2017.
  • In the same spirit as Duel Decks: Anthology and Planechase Anthology, Commander Anthology gathers four previous Commander products together in one convenient package, releasing June 9, 2017.
  • Draft like a master once more as we release Modern Masters 2017 Edition March 17, 2017—featuring cards from Eighth Edition through Magic 2014, including new trips through Innistrad and Return to Ravnica.
  • Brains or brawn? Cunning or strength? Test your guile and brute force with Duel Decks: Mind vs. Might, releasing in May of 2017.
  • Updates to Magic: The Gathering: Puzzle Quest are here, with Kaladesh content!

EGYPTIAN PLANE HYPE

Also, seeing as how the block's storylines have become more continuous/segued recently, I wouldn't be surprised if Nicky B is behind the Æther Revolt...

*Aether. The ligature was removed from mtg when aforementioned set was announced.

Also, I am almost certain that the revolt will be led by the "good guys". Dovin's explanation of Kaladesh's utopic society is very clearly at odds with what we learned when the plane was introduced. Chandra is not going to be the villain.

Well I do believe they plan sets nine years in advance, iirc.

Pharaoh implies we will be seeing mummy zombies at least to a degree.

I think its closer to 7. Though plans that far out are VERY rough. Still wouldn't put it past them though.

Also, seeing as how the block's storylines have become more continuous/segued recently, I wouldn't be surprised if Nicky B is behind the Æther Revolt...

It hit me recently that we've had Tezzeret on all the artifact based worlds and him being involved wouldn't be THAT out there.

*Aether. The ligature was removed from mtg when aforementioned set was announced.

Also, I am almost certain that the revolt will be led by the "good guys". Dovin's explanation of Kaladesh's utopic society is very clearly at odds with what we learned when the plane was introduced. Chandra is not going to be the villain.

Its a rule of fiction that whenever you see a "utopia" all the terrible is hiding just slightly out of frame. Agree Chandra has 0% to be the bad guy.

Anyway, when I first saw the announcement for the new block it TOTALLY went over my head that it was the Egypt set. The name just didn't click and when I read the little blurb for it I didn't think "desert = Egypt". In hindsight I feel very dumb. Super sweet to see. As is Bolas' return.

Not super excited for Archenemy, but the possible build for a Bolas themed deck to head it sounds really cool. Curious how they'll build the other decks. Also, 4 planeswalkers.

MM3 is to be expected. It coming out in March was unexpected though.

Commander Anthology is pretty needed since some of the older commanders are really getting up there in price. Not to mention getting 4 decks at once basically gives a playgroup a set of deck to have go at it.

Not interested in the Vs. deck since they've been pretty underwhelming of late.

i would hate for tezzeret to be involved

i really dont want like three separate artifact planeswalkers in one block, especially since we also had another daretti in the most recent supplemental too

tezzeret could be saved for later

That is a totally valid point. Does kind of suck though since Tezz has a pretty small window for places he can work and this would have been a good place.

i would hate for tezzeret to be involved

i really dont want like three separate artifact planeswalkers in one block, especially since we also had another daretti in the most recent supplemental too

tezzeret could be saved for later

As mentioned, there aren't that many opportunities for Tezzeret to really shine, and Kaladesh would be one of them.  It doesn't mean that Kaladesh has to be one of those opportunities, but artifact blocks aren't very common (which isn't a bad thing).

I'm not complaining about it, because I prefer knowing to being in the dark (and I'm most certainly hyped), but isn't it a bit too soon to reveal Amonkhet? It might distract people from Kaladesh, considering it's the Egypt plane that's been asked for, and it has Bolas. 

From a lore standpoint, it doesn't actually connect that Tezzeret should be here. Bolas has him spying on New Phyrexia at the moment, trying (and failing) to keep any one Praetor from rising above the others. I don't expect to see his return until we get closer to either a return to New Phyrexia or an invasion.

Though, if a Phyrexian invasion is on the way in Aether Revolt, then Tezxzeret could make an appearance, if only for the Gatwatch to follow him to Amonhket.

Just because he was in two artifact sets doesn't mean he has to be exclusive to them.

He kind of does those. Tezz's design space is built around artifacts so for him to be at all viable (which they always aim for with their walkers) he needs the volume of artifacts that you'll only see with an artifact block.

That being said, making two more artifact based planeswalkers is really interesting since they will be playing in similar design space to Tezz so they need to be careful about how they divide up the various abilities.

From a lore standpoint, it doesn't actually connect that Tezzeret should be here. Bolas has him spying on New Phyrexia at the moment, trying (and failing) to keep any one Praetor from rising above the others. I don't expect to see his return until we get closer to either a return to New Phyrexia or an invasion.

Though, if a Phyrexian invasion is on the way in Aether Revolt, then Tezxzeret could make an appearance, if only for the Gatwatch to follow him to Amonhket.

We actually have a winner on New Phyrexia. Norn is now the new Mother of Machines. Mark has also said that a return to New Phyrexia isn't SUPER likely.

The reason Tezz works in my mind is because it better bridges the story. IE: Going from having one of Bolas' agents involved to going to a world ruled by Bolas.

He kind of does those. Tezz's design space is built around artifacts so for him to be at all viable (which they always aim for with their walkers) he needs the volume of artifacts that you'll only see with an artifact block.

That being said, making two more artifact based planeswalkers is really interesting since they will be playing in similar design space to Tezz so they need to be careful about how they divide up the various abilities.

We actually have a winner on New Phyrexia. Norn is now the new Mother of Machines. Mark has also said that a return to New Phyrexia isn't SUPER likely.

The reason Tezz works in my mind is because it better bridges the story. IE: Going from having one of Bolas' agents involved to going to a world ruled by Bolas.

Notice I did say he failed at his mission.

Also notice I did say it would potentially make sense for the Gatewatch to follow him to Bolas.

Notice I did say he failed at his mission.

Also notice I did say it would potentially make sense for the Gatewatch to follow him to Bolas.

If he failed at his mission why would he still be hanging around NPH? He would have left to report to Bolas and gotten new marching orders.

I did miss you saying that. Though I don't think the Phyrexians will be involved here.

If he failed at his mission why would he still be hanging around NPH? He would have left to report to Bolas and gotten new marching orders.

I did miss you saying that. Though I don't think the Phyrexians will be involved here.

Capture, insanity, managed to regain a bit of disobedience. I merely assumed that he's going to be out of the story unless related to more news of New Phyrexia's present/future goals. Due to his last relevance being with them.

Capture, insanity, managed to regain a bit of disobedience. I merely assumed that he's going to be out of the story unless related to more news of New Phyrexia's present/future goals. Due to his last relevance being with them.

Again, this issue with that is NPH likely isn't getting revisited. We will likely get snapshots of the plane (we already have), but outlook is bleak on a block revisit.

Archived