Liquid Water on Pluto

Ryusei the Morning Star

I guess? I mean stuff lives in the deadsea on Earth, so I don't see why something cant live on Pluto

isn't the temp on pluto always below zero though? is it even possible for life to start in such an environment? i mean, earth has life in frigid temps, but i'm pretty sure the earths life started out from far warmer areas that pluto is capable of providing.

isn't the temp on pluto always below zero though? is it even possible for life to start in such an environment? i mean, earth has life in frigid temps, but i'm pretty sure the earths life started out from far warmer areas that pluto is capable of providing.

Well sorta -400 degrees F is the surface temp, you can't survive on that easily, but the subterranean ocean is much warmer due to pluto's inner geological activity. A higher salt content also makes freezing harder (think them applying salt to ice to melt it in the winter). No doubt it will be cold, but life can survive under those conditions fairly easily

• 3 weeks later...

It is important to note that this is in absolutely no way evidence of life. The first linked article makes it quite clear. Pluto still isn't a prime candidate, even among this solar system.

IF

>pluto's internal radiation is sufficient to provide enough energy input to sustain life

>there is indeed a sea of liquid ammonia

>ammonia-based life is even possible

IF all three of those are true, none of which are confirmed, then, maybe, just maybe, there is an extremely small chance that there could be potential for perhaps some life there.

• 1 month later...

Archived