North Carolina: Outgoing governor signs bill(s) gutting successors power

cr47t

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/16/us/pat-mccrory-roy-cooper-north-carolina.html?_r=0

Personally I disapprove of this -- it is a true sign of hyperpartisan sabotage. It's an example of putting your party over your country (or in this case, your state), and in my opinion if you do so you shouldn't be holding public office.

What do you think? Discuss.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/16/us/pat-mccrory-roy-cooper-north-carolina.html?_r=0

Personally I disapprove of this -- it is a true sign of hyperpartisan sabotage. It's an example of putting your party over your country (or in this case, your state), and in my opinion if you do so you shouldn't be holding public office.

What do you think? Discuss.

Objectively: It wasn't right

Subjectively: keep cooper's power limited

I'm also questioning how a governor conveniently lost a close race in a state that Trump won by 4, and the GOP senator won by even more. 

Either-way, when you concede the election, you should be a man about it irregardless of the train-wreck of a successor that follows you

I'm also questioning how a governor conveniently lost a close race in a state that Trump won by 4, and the GOP senator won by even more. 

Either-way, when you concede the election, you should be a man about it irregardless of the train-wreck of a successor that follows you

I mean Schwarzenegger was a Republican who won two terms in California (It was admittedly less left leaning then, but still by like a 10 point margin in 2004). The person matters more than the party line. It's not an outright indication of vote rigging to see a state swing in the opposite direction to it's norm.

This was a dick move, but the idea of him limiting the powers of the office aren't out of the normal swing of things for conservatives, the idea of minimising the powers of the government kinda fits the whole MO for the viewpoint. But the timing of it makes it just a dick move, you shouldn't leave a terrible position in your wake just to score some future political points.

Maryland has a Republican governor despite being overwhelmingly Democratic.

The guy was probably just really unpopular, especially considering that he kickstarted the whole "bathroom ordeal" bullshit.

Maryland has a Republican governor despite being overwhelmingly Democratic.

The guy was probably just really unpopular, especially considering that he kickstarted the whole "bathroom ordeal" bullshit.

Oh, I'm not fan of McCory. And I agree.

I think any other republican could have won in North Carolina seeing that Trump and the Senator took completely different pathways in the state to winning. There's no absence of willing republican voters. He did the H2B, but a lot of states have that kinda law. He didn't handle the fallout right, and he didn't compromise. And he let his state down. NC lost a lot of revenue based on how he handled the situation

This however, doesn't magically validate his successor in my eyes. And I don't entirely blame the NCGOP for taking measures to protect against him, even if, objectively it is not fair or correct

I mean Schwarzenegger was a Republican who won two terms in California (It was admittedly less left leaning then, but still by like a 10 point margin in 2004). The person matters more than the party line. It's not an outright indication of vote rigging to see a state swing in the opposite direction to it's norm.

This was a dick move, but the idea of him limiting the powers of the office aren't out of the normal swing of things for conservatives, the idea of minimising the powers of the government kinda fits the whole MO for the viewpoint. But the timing of it makes it just a dick move, you shouldn't leave a terrible position in your wake just to score some future political points.

True, but when you look at the pathways President Trump and Senator Burr took to win the state. They're completely different. 

Somehow the guy managed not tap either of the pathways to victory. It's remarkable how incompetent he was

Archived