• "Other"
  2. 2. Should 6-year-olds be asswhooped?

• You bet your ass!
    • Absolutely positively.
    • It's for their own good.
    • They had it coming.
    • Nah
    • "Other"

Reading the bit about the mom saying how the kid was nice everywhere else kinda pissed me off.

That's confirmation bias about how shitty your daughter is.

As for the poll, it obviously shouldn't be the first option, but restraint is a nonviolent way to stop someone from acting violently themselves. Not like they tazed her or anything.

Winter, she is 6. Get that sheet out of here ffs.

It'll prepare her for the best things later in life ;)

I got cuffed by the cops as a kid at school as part of a demonstration of sorts. Maybe that explains a few things.

Reading the bit about the mom saying how the kid was nice everywhere else kinda pissed me off.

That's confirmation bias about how shitty your daughter is.

She's saying her daughter's generally not shitty though right? Are you saying the mother's stance is "I KNEW SHE SEEMED TOO NICE TO BE TRUE" or some such? 

Either way regardless of whether 6-years-old is too young for cuffs I should certainly hope it's too young for an ultimate moral judgement. 

She's saying her daughter's generally not shitty though right? Are you saying the mother's stance is "I KNEW SHE SEEMED TOO NICE TO BE TRUE" or some such? 

Either way regardless of whether 6-years-old is too young for cuffs I should certainly hope it's too young for an ultimate moral judgement. 

Disclaimer: I worked with children and families for around a year and a half, so I am speaking from observational experience, rather than education on the matter.

Parents have this thing they do, where when their child misbehaves, they go on about how they are a perfect little angel everywhere else, either to discredit accounts of them misbehaving or to blame the environment.

And no, I'm not blaming the child, not at all. As I said, she is 6. 6 year olds do stupid stuff for very little reason. However, the response a parent should have to said behavior isn't denial that the child has a habit of causing problems, instead it should be to work with the child to help them understand that said behavior is not to be tolerated.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. I don't know these people. But from what I have seen in my own personal and professional experience, those are the words of a passive-enabler.

I mean, if someone is being violent to the point where they need restraints, hand cuffs seem as good a way as any, no matter the age of the recipient. Like, what else were they going to do, just hold her by the wrists and ankles themselves? Hand cuffs are something police easily have on hand that'll get the job done just fine.

I checked another article for more information and apparently:

"Since the age of four the child has been suspended four times, with police being called twice before the latest incident when she was handcuffed. Peel police say officers tried de-escalation techniques with the little girl and handcuffed her because she was banging her head and they feared for her safety."

To me that seems like a fine reason to need restraints.

Disclaimer: I worked with children and families for around a year and a half, so I am speaking from observational experience, rather than education on the matter.

Parents have this thing they do, where when their child misbehaves, they go on about how they are a perfect little angel everywhere else, either to discredit accounts of them misbehaving or to blame the environment.

And no, I'm not blaming the child, not at all. As I said, she is 6. 6 year olds do stupid stuff for very little reason. However, the response a parent should have to said behavior isn't denial that the child has a habit of causing problems, instead it should be to work with the child to help them understand that said behavior is not to be tolerated.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. I don't know these people. But from what I have seen in my own personal and professional experience, those are the words of a passive-enabler.

Is this the sort of thing you're talking about? It's a quote from the other article I read:

“No six-year-old little girl deserves that,” the child’s mother said in an exclusive interview with CityNews. “I’m ashamed for her, I tell her everyday it wasn’t her fault, she’s a good kid”

The other article I read, btw: http://www.citynews.ca/2017/02/02/exclusive-mom-outraged-six-year-old-daughter-handcuffed-police-school/

If I was six and cut up like that, all they had to do was mention my daddy.  I would become a straight face little angel from God.  She prolly need a asswhoopin.  Betcha she won't act up like that again.  Parents today scared to whoop they kids.  That's bullshit.

Is this the sort of thing you're talking about? It's a quote from the other article I read:

“No six-year-old little girl deserves that,” the child’s mother said in an exclusive interview with CityNews. “I’m ashamed for her, I tell her everyday it wasn’t her fault, she’s a good kid”

The other article I read, btw: http://www.citynews.ca/2017/02/02/exclusive-mom-outraged-six-year-old-daughter-handcuffed-police-school/

Wow. Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. That's actually terrible parenting (says the single 20 year old male)

If I was six and cut up like that, all they had to do was mention my daddy.  I would become a straight face little angel from God.  She prolly need a asswhoopin.  Betcha she won't act up like that again.  Parents today scared to whoop they kids.  That's bullshit.

Well, discipline doesn't necessarily need to be physical, but yes, parents are often far too lenient.

She doesn't have a father, actually. Quote from the article I linked:

"The child’s father died when she was six months old. Her mother started having health problems as she began junior kindergarten, eventually being diagnosed with Thyroid cancer. She says a social worker told her that her daughter may have been experiencing separation anxiety. Her mother also wonders if bullying at the school triggered the behavioural issues."

You raise an interesting point! I've added a second poll question. 

Archived