YCM May Have Given Me My Life's Passion

David Crowie

Hello all.

Nearly ten years ago and back in 2007, I was a seventh grader who wished to create cards for the TCG that I could not play with anyone in my Middle Eastern country - there was no social media, internet access for 13-year-olds was not all that common, and I could only play it online and share my creations right here. I found a lot of internet friends that stay with me to this day right here, I enhanced my first minuscule analytical reading abilities by paying attention to the grammar of my custom cards, and my first entrance ever into literature was by reading fan-fictions posted in the section designated for that on YCM. My first written thing was a fan-fiction series on YCM. Back then, I had never thought of this as something that will make me achieve anything later in life; it was a hobby I enjoyed after school and homework.

Surprise, surprise. A fan-fiction led into an interest in fantasy games, World of Warcraft then led into me reading my first novels (The Lord of the Rings), and then, a decade later, I am sitting on top of 400 books read, a high honors degree, respect from my professors, and people often asking me how I ever got into this. Today, I am a graduate in English Language and Literature, simultaneously working on a chapbook of poetry and a novel, both addressing the societal issues of my country, and I am preparing for a Masters scholarship in Canada. While indirect, this would have not been possible without my stumbling upon this website in my childhood.

I do not remember what my username exactly was; I went by many nicknames online, and Mare and Slaryn are the only ones from this time period that I remember. I was also obsessed with 5Ds before I forgot about Yugioh, so I sometimes used the nickname Yusei Fudo. I vaguely remember that I, near the end of my membership, was banned for participating in some sort of flaming movement - again, it has been so long ago and I did not come here to open up whatever stupid things I had committed as a 13-year-old. But I remembered YCM upon a conversation in which I was asked about my first written work, and after playing Hearthstone for a while with that ringing in my head, I could not resist to come here and offer my thanks. This forum is capable of moulding the most unexpected stories into the people that are members, this forum has been a home for a child with a separated home in an under-privileged country for at least a year or two, and this forum accidentally introduced me to the thing I most love: literature. 

Thank you. 

(P.S.: If I am violating any rules by creating this account, I accept any continuation of the ban from a decade ago. I just wanted to pass by, say my thanks, and put another thorn in the lie that gaming, online communities, and so on create nothing useful)

Hello all.

Nearly ten years ago and back in 2007, I was a seventh grader who wished to create cards for the TCG that I could not play with anyone in my Middle Eastern country - there was no social media, internet access for 13-year-olds was not all that common, and I could only play it online and share my creations right here. I found a lot of internet friends that stay with me to this day right here, I enhanced my first minuscule analytical reading abilities by paying attention to the grammar of my custom cards, and my first entrance ever into literature was by reading fan-fictions posted in the section designated for that on YCM. My first written thing was a fan-fiction series on YCM. Back then, I had never thought of this as something that will make me achieve anything later in life; it was a hobby I enjoyed after school and homework.

Surprise, surprise. A fan-fiction led into an interest in fantasy games, World of Warcraft then led into me reading my first novels (The Lord of the Rings), and then, a decade later, I am sitting on top of 400 books read, a high honors degree, respect from my professors, and people often asking me how I ever got into this. Today, I am a graduate in English Language and Literature, simultaneously working on a chapbook of poetry and a novel, both addressing the societal issues of my country, and I am preparing for a Masters scholarship in Canada. While indirect, this would have not been possible without my stumbling upon this website in my childhood.

I do not remember what my username exactly was; I went by many nicknames online, and Mare and Slaryn are the only ones from this time period that I remember. I was also obsessed with 5Ds before I forgot about Yugioh, so I sometimes used the nickname Yusei Fudo. I vaguely remember that I, near the end of my membership, was banned for participating in some sort of flaming movement - again, it has been so long ago and I did not come here to open up whatever stupid things I had committed as a 13-year-old. But I remembered YCM upon a conversation in which I was asked about my first written work, and after playing Hearthstone for a while with that ringing in my head, I could not resist to come here and offer my thanks. This forum is capable of moulding the most unexpected stories into the people that are members, this forum has been a home for a child with a separated home in an under-privileged country for at least a year or two, and this forum accidentally introduced me to the thing I most love: literature. 

Thank you. 

(P.S.: If I am violating any rules by creating this account, I accept any continuation of the ban from a decade ago. I just wanted to pass by, say my thanks, and put another thorn in the lie that gaming, online communities, and so on create nothing useful)

Welcome back mate. It's been like 9 years, I'm sure most of the mods who might have banned you are long gone. Enjoy the fresh start and I hope to see some cool sheet from you :)

Guys, don't turn this into a spamhole. 

======

But anyway, as much as we'd like to figure out what happened back then that got you banned (at this time, all of the mods who could've banned you are long gone and/or demoted; likely the former [if you were axed in 2007]). I don't think Flame was staff back then (he's the oldest staff member [in terms of registration]), so can't really ask him for insight. That being said, whatever happened way back then is in the past, and don't think there's anyone here who would remember. 

Hopefully you've learned from what happened back then, whatever that might've been, and can enjoy your stay here this time. 

Archived