[MtG] 25th Anniversary Announcement Day

Rodrigo

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/25th-anniversary-announcement-day-2017-06-14

Hold on to your butts, people. This is insanity.

• Brave the Unknown as you venture to the new world of Ixalan, where all we know so far is that Pirate Vraska battles Dinosaurs. But do you need anything more? Find out when Ixalan releases September 29.
  • Stake Your Claim on January 19, 2018, as the second set in Ixalan block releases with Rivals of Ixalan.
  • Explorers of Ixalan is an out-of-the-box multiplayer Magic experience that challenges you to defeat your opponents along the way as you search for the lost city. Begin your exploration on November 24, 2017.
  • The Art of Magic: The Gathering—Ixalan will be available January 2, 2018. Set sail for the uncharted jungles of Ixalan, where dangerous beasts, magnificent ruins, and lost treasures lie waiting to be discovered. Saddle up your Dinosaur mount and brave the unknown as you search the plane for a prize forgotten by history . . . until now!
  • Duel Decks: Merfolk vs. Goblins, which releases November 10, 2017, pits two of the most recognizable tribes in the history of Magic against one another with two ready-to-play 60-card decks. Will you side with the reckless and wily Goblins or the graceful and cunning Merfolk?
  • From the Vault: Transform takes the From the Vault series and, well, flips it. From the Vault: Transform, which releases November 24, 2017, collects fifteen of our favorite transforming cards, each with its own story to tell.
  • On April 28, 2018, we look to the past to move forward as we return to Dominaria with our next large set!
  • As part of our celebration of our 25th anniversary, we will be releasing a 25th anniversary–edition Masters set on March 16, 2018. The product will contain 249 cards from across Magic's entire history and will provide a drafting experience like previous Masters products. Available in English, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese.
  • On July 20, 2018, we once again will be introducing core sets back into Magic. We've got some tweaks to the formula prepared, so look for more information as we get closer.
  • We're (finally) traveling back to the wacky world of silver-bordered cards when Unstable releases December 8, 2017.

Pirate Vraska battles Dinosaurs. Yep. I'm done.

Explorers of Ixalan sounds interesting.

Goblins return after a SUPER long time. Also take it to mean we'll be getting Goblins and Merfolk on Ixalan. Hopefully we'll also see Elves too.

From the Vault Transform is....weird. I think they barely have 15 high profile flip cards to make this work.

I think anyone could have called return to Dominaria between the 3 new sets in a row and it a perfect time given the 25th anniversary.

MARK DID IT!!!!!

First off, let's put that list in chronological order:

• Jul. 14: Hour of Devastation
  • Aug. 25: Commander 2017
  • Sep. 29: Ixalan
  • Nov. 10: Duel Decks: Merfolk vs. Goblins
  • Nov. 17: Iconic Masters
  • Nov. 24: Explorers of Ixalan (multiplayer precon)
  • Nov. 24: From the Vault: Transform
  • Dec. 8: Unstable
  • Jan. 2, 2018: Ixalan artbook
  • Jan. 19: Rivals of Ixalan
  • Mar. 16: "'Magic Turns 25' Masters"
  • Apr. 28: Dominaria
  • Jul. 20: "Core Set 2018"
One important note: the "'Magic Turns 25' Masters" isn't the same thing as Iconic Masters. I wonder if this is just their attempt at branding the second coming of EMA differently...

Super hype for all these announcements, though. Can't wait to see what the hell Unstable looks like.

Contents for Explorers of Ixalan is interesting.

4 60-card decks

20 double-sided tokens

50 game tiles

40 counter pieces

4 deck boxes

Curious indeed...

Everything else is awesome. Glad the Unstable release day is relatively close, that'll be awesome.

25th Anniversary Masters should do away with the reserved list and print a bunch of that. Maybe not power 9 or duals, not yet, but other stuff.

Its funny, I kept thinking "maybe they'll do an Un-set as part of the anniversary celebration" but dismissed it because the Un-sets have a niche appeal.

And, now for the ask Maro corner.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/161816584373/oh-my-god-are-you-okay

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/161821904138/how-long-has-unstable-had-the-green-light

Can't wait for the full story on this getting made.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/161822379283/are-the-dinosaurs-in-ixalan-lizards-lizard-beasts

DINOSAURS!!!

I'm pretty sure explores is some kind of adaptation of Frontier magic. (not the Frontier format, it's a custom ruleset for magic, look it up.) Which is alright with me. Frontier magic is actually a pretty fun ruleset.

From the Vault Transform is....weird. I think they barely have 15 high profile flip cards to make this work.

i mean the baby walkers are already 5, add in maybe Arlin and the flip Garruk, Archangel Avacyn, Elbrus, Hanweir the Writhing Township, Brisela, Westvale Abbey, Sage of Ancient Lore, Ulrich, Docent of Perfection, Thing in the Ice, Huntmaster of the Fells is pretty cool..

i mean the baby walkers are already 5, add in maybe Arlin and the flip Garruk, Archangel Avacyn, Elbrus, Hanweir the Writhing Township, Brisela, Westvale Abbey, Sage of Ancient Lore, Ulrich, Docent of Perfection, Thing in the Ice, Huntmaster of the Fells is pretty cool..

I'd forgotten about the flip walkers so that helps, but one of the draws is the cards are super cool and often pretty old. Most of the ones you named are still in standard, cheap, and not really good.

For now, the locked slots are the Flip Walkers, Delver, and Avacyn. Not sure what to expect past that.

I'd forgotten about the flip walkers so that helps, but one of the draws is the cards are super cool and often pretty old. Most of the ones you named are still in standard, cheap, and not really good.

For now, the locked slots are the Flip Walkers, Delver, and Avacyn. Not sure what to expect past that.

hunt master for sure. Imo Delve, Jace, Nissa, Avacyn and Hunt master will be the big ticket cards. The rest will be filler.

hunt master for sure. Imo Delve, Jace, Nissa, Avacyn and Hunt master will be the big ticket cards. The rest will be filler.

I don't pay SUPER close attention to the From the Vaults, but I feel like only 5 solid cards (one of which is a common and another currently in standard) is pretty lack luster. This isn't helped by my not really liking Huntmaster.

Anyway, I tried to figure out the most likely list of cards

Kytheon, Hero of Akro

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

Liliana Heretical Healer

Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh

Nissa, Vastwood Seer

Delver of Secrets

Garruk Relentless

Huntermaster of the Fells

Elbrus the Binding Blade

Arlinn Kord

Archangel Avacyn

Westvale Abbey

Duskwatch Recruiter

Gisela, the Broken Blade

Brune, the Fading Light

I think this is more or less the best selection. I think thats another issue, its REALLY easy to narrow it down to like 18 cards for possible inclusion. Makes the product a lot less exciting when you can pretty accurately predict what will be in it.

Archived