[CC Event] ZPD Field Exam

Flash Flyer - Sakura

To be fair, I was originally grading these at 1 am in the morning (and hell knows what happens when you grade stuff after being up all day). Should know what I'm doing though. 

First two were more/less graded earlier; latter half was just now while I am at the library. 

Next up: a monster that supports all the Fabled, Dark World and even Chaos-themed decks out there, while doubling as a reincarnated version of the forever-banned Change of Heart! Hopefully she isn't as ban-worthy as her predecessor!

kqRaVV9.jpg

Harlequin of Hearts
LIGHT - Link 2 [T/D]
Fiend/Link/Effect
1 Fiend monster + 1 LIGHT monster
While face-up on the field, this card is also DARK-Attribute. If this card is Link Summoned to the Extra Monster Zone while both players control monsters this card points to: Swap control of the monsters. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Fiend-Type monster from your Deck, then discard 1 card.
1400 ATK

This is more of a Creature Swap deal than Change of Heart; Swap is fairer.

I suppose the Deck you call Fableds (and Magibullet / Magical Musketeer; please make up your minds, Konami of America) can make some use with this in terms of actual usage. Though the general gripe here is if your opponent has something good you want, and if there's something on your end that you want blown up to trigger. Seems more of a late game card when you got everything set up. Dark Worlds, as you say, can trigger this off, but more for Special Summon capacities.

Card is fine in terms of application, as it at least floats and gives Fableds something to start with. Another issue MIGHT be with the lack of hard OPT on its float effect.

YmU51rh.png

If only YCM had a Link template.

[spoiler=Blue-Eyes Link Dragon]Blue-Eyes Link Dragon
Link 2
Southwest / Southeast
LIGHT Dragon / Link / Effect
3000 ATK
2 LIGHT Effect monsters
This card’s name becomes “Blue-Eyes White Dragon” while it is on the field or in the GY. Once per turn, during your Main Phase 1, you can target 1 other Dragon-type monster you control that was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck: During your next Battle Phase, it gains an additional attack, but this card cannot attack. When this card is sent to the GY: You can activate 1 of the following effects:
• Target 1 “with Eyes of Blue” monster in your GY: Special Summon it.
• Add 1 “with Eyes of Blue” monster from your GY to your hand.

In this case, I'm going to have to vote no on this one.

Issue here is that the requirements are pretty much generic as-is, with consideration to Magibullets existing as a spam LIGHT effect Deck, 'tellars can get a free 3K out (assuming no Altair), standard LS and yes, Blue-Eyes. Card technically does not do much outside Blue-Eyes (or Felgrand builds or something), yes, but within that, it just gives them more toys to OTK.

Blue-Eyes do need support, but I think they're proficient enough to run on their own without needing to spam the ED (a la Spirit Dragon, Crystal Wing, BE Twin). They already got Chaos MAX to make up for it. I guess you can cycle Sages and stuff though after the triggers.

In all, issue lies with this card's stats being awfully high for a Link 2 monster with a myriad of viable target Decks. See Jack Knight of the World Scars; that is a Link 3 but requires monsters that are already a pain in the neck to summon on their own.

This makes me sad because I can't make a Link Monster because no template/photoshop. :(
But here's my entry for this round:

Fire King High Avatar Agni ffy4WKr.png?1
[South] [Southeast]
Beast-Warrior
2000 / LINK-2
2 FIRE monsters
Cannot be destroyed by card effects. If this card is Link Summoned: You can destroy 1 FIRE Beast, Beast-Warrior, or Winged-Beast monster in your Deck. If a "Fire King" monster you control would be destroyed by battle: You can destroy 1 monster this card points to instead. If this card is destroyed by battle: You can target 1 "Fire King" monster in your GY, except "Fire King High Avatar Agni"; Special Summon it, but it is destroyed during the End Phase.

Helps keep field presence when Garunix explodes and helps maintain Arvata (Ganesha)'s OPT negation. Also gets Nephthys/Garunix out faster.

[spoiler=Flavor Notes]

• Agni is the Hindu god of FIRE.
  • Also refers to one of the guardian deities of direction, found in Southeast corners of temples. (Makes it perfect for Links and arrows.)

Yeah, I know about the flavor notes (well, if Cubics didn't already do that).

In all, I don't have any complaints about how this card is designed. Er, maybe a small one because it gives them an on-summon Lost World-esque effect, but unlike Dinosaurs post-SR04, they should be fine as it's on-summon only.

YmU51rh.png

Well I have no experience with Link monsters as my internet sucks, so lets see how I do.

[spoiler=Chimeratech Wyvern]Chimeratech Wyvern
DARK
[south-East] / [south-West]
Machine/Link/Effect

2 LIGHT Machine-type monsters
When this card is Link Summoned: You can target 1 "Cyber Dragon" in your GY; Special Summon it. If you Special Summon a Machine-type Fusion monster: You can target 1 card on the field; send it to the GY. You can only activate each effect of "Chimeratech Wyvern" once per turn. This card's name becomes "Cyber Dragon" while it is on the field.
2100 / Link 2

That's fine, a lot of people probably can't test Links because Duelingbook has a few "undesirables", Percy just GOT Links (but no AI) and yeah, DP testing is hit/miss. Moving on.

I think there are some other Decks that can make this besides Cyber Dragons, but only they would want this. (Um, maybe only that one Deck). As a whole, it does help with them surviving in Link format, albeit they got Megafleet now to do things (even if only for a beater). At least you can Instant Fusion into Panzer, and then trigger the removal effect, so there's that to be considered. 

It's fine, so you pass.

YmU51rh.png

===

Using Firewall as a stamp makes sense because one of the first Links we ever got, and main character stuff. Not like Yusaku ever used it much lately...

Ah yes. so 3 of you passed on the first try, whereas one of you needs to resubmit due to balancing issues. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really like Links, considering that they ruined a few mechanics in yugioh. But anyway, for my Link monster I decided to go with some basic LIGHT support.

http://eskipaper.com/images/anime-angel-1.jpg

Alana, the Angelic Pop Star

Type:Spellcaster/Link/Effect

Link:2

Link Arrows: SW, SE.

Attribute:Light/ATK:1800

Summoning Conditions:2 LIGHT monsters

Effect: All LIGHT monsters on the field gain 300 ATK. If a monster that this card's Link Arrow points to would be destroyed: You can pay 800 LP, and if you do; it is not destroyed. If this card is destroyed by card effect: You can target 1 LIGHT monster in your graveyard, except "Alana, the Angelic Pop Star"; add it to your hand.

Here’s some edits.

Blue-Eyes Link Dragon

Link 3

Southwest / South / Southeast

3000 ATK

1+ LIGHT Effect monsters + 1+ LIGHT Dragon-type Normal Monsters

This card’s name becomes “Blue-Eyes White Dragon” while it is on the field or in the GY. Once per turn, during your Main Phase 1, you can target 1 other Dragon-type monster you control that was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck: During your next Battle Phase, it gains an additional attack, but this card cannot attack. When this card is sent to the GY: You can activate 1 of the following effects:

I don't really like Links, considering that they ruined a few mechanics in yugioh. But anyway, for my Link monster I decided to go with some basic LIGHT support.

http://eskipaper.com/images/anime-angel-1.jpg

Alana, the Angelic Pop Star

Type:Spellcaster/Link/Effect

Link:2

Link Arrows: SW, SE.

Attribute:Light/ATK:1800

Summoning Conditions:2 LIGHT monsters

Effect: All LIGHT monsters on the field gain 300 ATK. If a monster that this card's Link Arrow points to would be destroyed: You can pay 800 LP, and if you do; it is not destroyed. If this card is destroyed by card effect: You can target 1 LIGHT monster in your graveyard, except "Alana, the Angelic Pop Star"; add it to your hand.

Well, a lot of people don't like Links (half of the AGM included), but as Konami will not make a legacy format for anyone; eventually, people will have to adapt. 

But the card is technically fine as-is, though to be fair, we are going to get the Hoshiningen retrain Link at a later time (albeit I think this one is far more creative). Only gripe is the ATK being a bit high considering the stat boost. I have no issues with a 2100 Link 2 as we likely will push the power level later anyway. 

Card is fine, so you pass.

YmU51rh.png

Here’s some edits.

Blue-Eyes Link Dragon

Link 3

Southwest / South / Southeast

3000 ATK

1+ LIGHT Effect monsters + 1+ LIGHT Dragon-type Normal Monsters

The only issue was more/less the summon requirements. 

But yeah, it's fine now. Granted, there are some other Normal LIGHT Dragons besides Blue-Eyes that can be used, but a few of them are either outdated or got better things to be doing. Then again, at least Blue-Eyes / Felgrand.dek can ED if they really want to (though I think they didn't require too much ED because Blue-Eyes is already deadly on its own in terms of Main Deck, and Spirit is just there to say "screw you Pendulums" and stuff; also the Cipher Dragon stuff.)

Pass.

YmU51rh.png

====

Yeah, I technically broke character a bit from Judy and just graded it with my normal quirks (hence why I wrote in BLUE as opposed to navy). 

====

Anyway...

Those of you who want to submit something for part 2, please do it within the next 24 hours (well 23.75, but I'm not going to be pedantic about the time differences).

Reminder that while you don't HAVE to compete in all tasks, doing all of them will net you a permanent membership and another prize. (You all like a prize worth 40,000 points, right?)

Arpeggia, The Melodious Conductress

LIGHT

Link-2

(Points Bottom Left and Bottom Right)

Fairy/Link/Effect

2 "Melodious" Monsters

"Melodious" Monsters this card points to cannot be destroyed by card effects. You take no battle damage with attacks involving this card. When this card is destroyed by an opponent's card effect, you can Special Summon one Level 4 or lower "Melodious" Monster from your Graveyard in Attack Position.

1900ATK

Wildsove Avian
WIND / Winged Beast / ATK 2200 / LINK-2 / Effect
Link arrows: Down right  -  Down

2 monsters with the same Attribute
You can Special Summon (from your hand), or Normal Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Winged Beast monster during the turn this card is Link Summoned in addition to your Normal Summon/Set (you can only gain this effect once per turn). All monsters you control in the same column as this card are unaffected by your opponent Spell/Trap Cards. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn, if your opponent controls more monsters than you do: You can take 1 Level 4 or lower Winged Beast monster from your Deck, and either add it to your hand or send it to the Graveyard.

Arpeggia, The Melodious Conductress

LIGHT

Link-2

(Points Bottom Left and Bottom Right)

Fairy/Link/Effect

2 "Melodious" Monsters

"Melodious" Monsters this card points to cannot be destroyed by card effects. You take no battle damage with attacks involving this card. When this card is destroyed by an opponent's card effect, you can Special Summon one Level 4 or lower "Melodious" Monster from your Graveyard in Attack Position.

1900ATK

Hmm, card seems fine based on what I know about this Deck. At least you can protect the Fusions or something and floats, while compounding Aria's protection further. Right, and recycling Aria / Solo seems good too, though there are challenges in being able to handle stuff afterwards. Other targets are either meh or not ideal in most cases when this does get blown up. 

(Flavor-wise, this should probably be named after a composer, but...since it's technically in its own class, yeah. You at least kept the music stuff, so...)

You pass.

YmU51rh.png

Wildsove Avian

WIND / Winged Beast / ATK 2200 / LINK-2 / Effect

Link arrows: Down right  -  Down

2 monsters with the same Attribute

You can Special Summon (from your hand), or Normal Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Winged Beast monster during the turn this card is Link Summoned in addition to your Normal Summon/Set (you can only gain this effect once per turn). All monsters you control in the same column as this card are unaffected by your opponent Spell/Trap Cards. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn, if your opponent controls more monsters than you do: You can take 1 Level 4 or lower Winged Beast monster from your Deck, and either add it to your hand or send it to the Graveyard.

Considering that we still have Blackwings, Raidraptor and Harpies as proficient Winged Beast decks, these do have to factored into consideration for this card. In the case of the former, recall that they technically do have an archetypal Honest in Kalut, but that's about it. RRs have Last Strix and some other stuff, but those don't raise any red flags. Lyriluscs would enjoy having a bigger boss for themselves, and having summon speed. Protection is fine, though to be fair, it only protects one monster at a time.

Then again, it is a generic Link 2 for the most part. Some concerns are the higher than normal ATK for a Link 2 (but that is being conservative due to the early game nature of Links in general) with good markers. I personally don't mind the Link-3 ATK on this card because it is just a 200 ATK increase, though the protection may be an issue, depending on how fast the Decks in question can summon a new monster there. 

The Winged-Beast decks that can make use of everything else aren't particularly dangerous (outside Blackwings, but they're already powerful enough with their summons even without this aiding it). For everything else, it's just a free Link 2 with good markers that provides some protection.

===

So Judy, what's your verdict on this? Seems you have quite a few things to say about this one. 

===

I mean, I shouldn't be knocking this card down because Blackwings and RRs can abuse it to an extent (as it helps some of the weaker ones in the process). It's definitely going to see play if only to provide setup and all. 

At least the kid tried, Hopps. Cannot be helped if these people at Konami design make Decks that can abuse good designs that are intended to give the rest a boost. I'd give him a pass for effort. 

I share the same thoughts as you, Judy. Some general issues given the nature of Links at this time (but they are likely going to push the power level up later) among possible offenders that don't need it. I'm looking over the Winged Beast cards right now; yeah, that's about it. Also because deadline is approaching in about 27 minutes and I am assuming he is asleep right now or in school (and cannot make another card that fast).

Alright, I think we can ignore the possible abusers for this card for right now, but I do implore him to try harder next round, as by then, I will be scoring based on marks and he may have to redo. Up until now, I have not given a precise score.

Pass.

YmU51rh.png

=====

Ah right, and you all are more than welcome to post what you made into Custom Cards to see what others have to say about your works. 

Will have your next task up soon.

Judy's busy with a few things right now, so she told me to hand out your third task.

"Create a support card for an underdeveloped Archetype or series."

(This is defined as a Deck that currently is less than tier 3, or in less tournament-oriented terminology, something that is limited to casual matches.)

Please do not design a card that will literally push them to tier 0 to 1 on its own. You should give the Deck something to function on its own, but make sure it's fair enough. 

This basically means: Don't give support cards to stuff that's already gotten a consistency booster lately or do not deserve support (i.e. DM legacy stuff, Kozmo, SPYRAL, Lightsworn, BA, Monarchs, Blackwing, Raidraptors, Zoo, True King, Pendulum Magicians / PPal, etc.). Also, don't make something that makes them become top-tier with only one card. 

Think side character stuff and I guess a few old cards that never got developed after their series ended. This list is technically vague because some Decks have gotten new toys lately, but don't necessarily help with what they're supposed to be doing.

If you have questions about what is permittable, please ask.

Stuff noted above is a list of what I know that got a heavy boost lately, and/or has been shown in the competitive scene often in the ARC-V / VRAINS eras.

====

Get this done by November 9th, 2017 @ 10:15 pm HST

Dark Scorpion Hideout

Field Spell Card

Once per turn, when "Don Zaloog" or a "Dark Scorpion" monster is successfully Normal Summoned to your side of the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Don Zaloog" or "Dark Scorpion" monster (from your hand). Each face-up monster your opponent controls loses 400 ATK for each "Don Zaloog" or "Dark Scorpion" monster you control. You cannot control more than 1 "Don Zaloog" or "Dark Scorpion" monster with the same name.

This one's a pretty... dope support. :P

hLH8jgC.png

[spoiler=Lore]If you control a "Penguin" monster, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. While you control another monster, this card cannot be attacked. Other "Penguin" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle. During either player's turn: You can target 1 "Penguin" monster you control; change that target to face-down Defense Position. You can only use this effect of "Dopenguin" once per turn.

Anyone remember the original Bonding card? Used to Summon "Water Dragon"? New support as of 2017, and a new "Water Dragon Cluster"? No? Okay.

Honestly, I feel like it's underpowered as far as support goes, so here's some support.

[spoiler='Bonding - H2O2]qG0hfWw.png

Bonding - H2O2

Normal Trap

Tribute 2 "Hydrogeddon" and 2 "Oxygeddon"; Special Summon 1 "Water Dragon Cluster" from your hand, deck, or GY, and if you do, equip this card on to it. A monster equipped with this card by this effect gains 200 ATK, and other monsters in its column lose 500 ATK. During your Main Phase, except during the turn it was sent to the GY, you can banish this card from your GY: Add 1 "Bonding" card from your GY to your hand, except "Bonding - H2O2".

Yes, I realize that H2O2 isn't water (it's hydrogen peroxide), which is why I added the "gains 200 ATK" effect (signifying the extra oxygen atom) and the effect that lowers other monsters' ATK (the acidic nature of H2O2).

Also, Edd is best scientist.

[spoiler=Grading scale]

I'm going to be grading this out of 40 (basically, scaling my usual one by 0.4)

Balance: 15

Usability: 15

Creativity: 10

(OCG got removed this time, but please try to use correct terminology whenever possible [and spellcheck], So far, all of you have used proper wording.)

====

Multiply your score by 2.5 to get your final grade. You need at least 30 marks, so that equates to 75% here.

Dark Scorpion Hideout
Field Spell Card
Once per turn, when "Don Zaloog" or a "Dark Scorpion" monster is successfully Normal Summoned to your side of the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Don Zaloog" or "Dark Scorpion" monster (from your hand). Each face-up monster your opponent controls loses 400 ATK for each "Don Zaloog" or "Dark Scorpion" monster you control. You cannot control more than 1 "Don Zaloog" or "Dark Scorpion" monster with the same name.

Honestly speaking, I think the limitation clause at the end is unnecessary, given their low number of members and the unlikely event that you even get 2 out in the first place. (Thematically, I suppose it makes some sense).

The added summoning power is always appreciated, and weakening helps to get their effects going considering their less than impressive stats (for this era anyway). I don't know; this is definitely helpful for them and should be maximized, but it'll take far more than this to make them competent

But for what it's worth, it's something. Considering their nature, you probably could've gone with a new member and all (Meanae target, etc).

====

15 + 10 + 8 = 35

87.5 marks

Pass.

Kq94G0o.png

This one's a pretty... dope support. :P

hLH8jgC.png

[spoiler=Lore]If you control a "Penguin" monster, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. While you control another monster, this card cannot be attacked. Other "Penguin" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle. During either player's turn: You can target 1 "Penguin" monster you control; change that target to face-down Defense Position. You can only use this effect of "Dopenguin" once per turn.

Part of me has concerns about the second and third effects being linked with each other (get another Penguin out, that protects this card from being attacked and in return, said monster won't get blown up in battle). Though, if there's any consolation, at least the opponent can actually ATTACK instead of this forming a double wall (two copies prevent attacking anything) and effect removal still exists. (It is my understanding that this game has gotten rather...spammy). Fourth effect is fine, at least for recycling Soldier and Nightmare's effects if needed.

It's a lot of things on a low Level monster, and second and third effects combo'ing with each other is an issue. While opponent can attack, in the instance you can get 2 copies out via Emperor, they prevent each other from being attacked or destroyed (though your LP is still open if nothing else exists). I think you could probably remove the second effect, and card would still do its intended job in Penguins.

====

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you here. Probably cut that one out, and it'd be fine. In terms of meta usage, it'll fall against the heavier OTK decks, but the fault still lies on Konami for making the game how it is now.

====

10 + 12 + 8 = 30

75 marks

Pass (you just made it)

I wanted to give more because it does provide needed help for them, but I have to acknowledge my concerns about the 2 and 3 effects (and more/less seems to do too much at once).

Kq94G0o.png

Anyone remember the original Bonding card? Used to Summon "Water Dragon"? New support as of 2017, and a new "Water Dragon Cluster"? No? Okay.

Honestly, I feel like it's underpowered as far as support goes, so here's some support.

[spoiler='Bonding - H2O2]qG0hfWw.png

Bonding - H2O2

Normal Trap

Tribute 2 "Hydrogeddon" and 2 "Oxygeddon"; Special Summon 1 "Water Dragon Cluster" from your hand, deck, or GY, and if you do, equip this card on to it. A monster equipped with this card by this effect gains 200 ATK, and other monsters in its column lose 500 ATK. During your Main Phase, except during the turn it was sent to the GY, you can banish this card from your GY: Add 1 "Bonding" card from your GY to your hand, except "Bonding - H2O2".

Yes, I realize that H2O2 isn't water (it's hydrogen peroxide), which is why I added the "gains 200 ATK" effect (signifying the extra oxygen atom) and the effect that lowers other monsters' ATK (the acidic nature of H2O2).

Also, Edd is best scientist.

Issue here is how are you even going to get those 4 on the field quickly enough (though I do know how hydrogen peroxide forms, so makes sense). Cluster is impressive, I'll admit that, but being column-related doesn't really help (unless you have this under the Extra Monster Zone), though the stat dropping helps. I do feel that the boost could be increased (as oxygen is relatively larger than hydrogen); dropping effect is alright (since peroxide isn't as potent as say...sulfur or hydrochloric acid), but considering the effort, you could probably afford to just

At least it's another target for Deuterion to search, and another option to enable Cluster. Ah right, and Foolish Belongings say hi.

===

11 + 9 + 10 = 30

75 marks

Pass (you just made it)

Kq94G0o.png

Card technically works, but again, main issue is that this doesn't help to alleviate getting the materials out in the first place [or a reason why you wouldn't choose to LN-4 instead, given the opportunity cost for making Cluster over something else]

You're on the right track, but provide more incentive to use this card to make Cluster with 4 monsters.

=====

I did say that I would be giving actual scores now, and yes, two of you just barely made the cutoff. They aren't bad, but either they do a bit too much or given their card pool, need to either get better members to utilize support or incentivize usage.

Those of you who still want to design, you got a little less than 2 days.

Well since we can do series how about some Three Musketeers of Face Cards (Poker Knights) support in the form of the Ace.

[spoiler=Ace's Mageknight]86YcjaH.png

Ace's Mageknight

Level 11/LIGHT
Spellcaster/Effect

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summon (from your hand) by sending 1 "Queen's Knight", 1 "Jack's Knight" and 1 "King's Knight" from your hand or field to the GY. If your opponent activates a Spell, Trap, or Monster Effect: You can send 1 card from your hand to the GY; add 1 LIGHT Normal monster from your deck to your hand. If this card is sent to the GY by an opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect): Target 1 "Queen's Knight", "Jack's Knight" and "King's Knight" in your GY; Special Summon them. You can banish this card from your GY: Send 1 "Queen's Knight", "Jack's Knight" and "King's Knight" from your hand, Deck or your side of the field; Fusion Summon 1 "Arcana Knight Joker" from your Extra Deck.

Yikes, that was close. I'll do better next time.

So since we got the stamp, we can post these on Advanced/Casual right?

Yeah, if you got the stamp, you can post them for further reviewing. Otherwise, you have to wait until the deadline passes. (So yeah, those of you who made stuff for tasks 1 and 2 can post them, and everyone who got a stamp for this one can post what you made here.)

To be honest, I generally consider anything 70% and over to be passable and stuff; standards are just getting higher. 

Well since we can do series how about some Three Musketeers of Face Cards (Poker Knights) support in the form of the Ace.

Ace's Mageknight

Level 11/LIGHT

Spellcaster/Effect

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summon (from your hand) by sending 1 "Queen's Knight", 1 "Jack's Knight" and 1 "King's Knight" from your hand or field to the GY. If your opponent activates a Spell, Trap, or Monster Effect: You can send 1 card from your hand to the GY; add 1 LIGHT Normal monster from your deck to your hand. If this card is sent to the GY by an opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect): Target 1 "Queen's Knight", "Jack's Knight" and "King's Knight" in your GY; Special Summon them. You can banish this card from your GY: Send 1 "Queen's Knight", "Jack's Knight" and "King's Knight" from your hand, Deck or your side of the field; Fusion Summon 1 "Arcana Knight Joker" from your Extra Deck.

I'll review this later, but this is permissible for the task so...you're fine.

The first thing that came to my mind as an underdeveloped archetype was the Super Defense Robot archetype(which only has 3 cards).

Name: Super Defense Robot Panter

Type: Machine/Effect

Level: 4

Attribute: EARTH/ ATK: 1000 DEF: 1800

Effect: When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Super Defense Robot" or "Orbital 7" from your hand. Once per turn: You can discard 1 card and then target 1 "Super Defense Robot" monster or "Orbital 7" in your Graveyard, except "Super Defense Robot Panter"; add it to your hand. If this card is destroyed by battle or opponent's card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Super Defense Robot" monster or "Orbital 7" from your Deck to your hand, except "Super Defense Robot Panter".

With only 3 cards in the archetype, it lacks a searcher. So I made Panter's last effect to cover that. As for the second effect, I made it to help activate Lio's effect more often. Finally, the first effect is the standard effect that all Super Defense Robots share.

Worm Preparations
Continuous Spell Card

Once per turn: You can discard 1 card, and if you do, draw 1 card. Once per turn, if you control no monsters, or if a Reptile "Worm" monster(s) is sent to your Graveyard (except during the Damage Step): You can Special Summon 1 Reptile "Worm" monster from your Graveyard in face-down Defense Position. You can activate this effect: Send this card from your hand or your side of the field to your Graveyard; Fusion Summon 1 "Worm" Fusion Monster, using monsters from your hand or the field as Fusion Materials. It cannot be destroyed by battle until the end of the next turn.

Sorry I don't have a picture for this one, this is writtenThis is for the Iron Chain Archetype, an underdeveloped archetype based on mill-based burn damage.

Bessemer Chain
Field Spell
"Iron Chain" Monsters gain 500DEF. Once per turn, during your End Phase, you may draw three cards. If you draw any "Chain" cards, reveal them, then inflict 300 Life Points to your opponent for each "Chain" card drawn, then discard any card without "chain" in its name that was drawn. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, both players send the top card of their Deck to the Graveyard, then they both can shuffle one card in their Graveyard into their Deck.

Ace's Mageknight

Level 11/LIGHT

Spellcaster/Effect

To be fair, it seems Konami does not find this as iconic as Dark Magicians, hence the lack of support. But as a whole, card is fine considering the low pool for them and the summon conditions aren't busted. Also Joker needed some support anyway.

15 + 12 + 10 = 37

92.5 marks

Pass!

Kq94G0o.png

The first thing that came to my mind as an underdeveloped archetype was the Super Defense Robot archetype(which only has 3 cards).

Name: Super Defense Robot Panter

Type: Machine/Effect

Level: 4

Attribute: EARTH/ ATK: 1000 DEF: 1800

Effect: When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Super Defense Robot" or "Orbital 7" from your hand. Once per turn: You can discard 1 card and then target 1 "Super Defense Robot" monster or "Orbital 7" in your Graveyard, except "Super Defense Robot Panter"; add it to your hand. If this card is destroyed by battle or opponent's card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Super Defense Robot" monster or "Orbital 7" from your Deck to your hand, except "Super Defense Robot Panter".

With only 3 cards in the archetype, it lacks a searcher. So I made Panter's last effect to cover that. As for the second effect, I made it to help activate Lio's effect more often. Finally, the first effect is the standard effect that all Super Defense Robots share.

At least you can Rank 4 with Lio or 8 with Elephan if you can get it going, so it helps. Though, even with the searching help, they need far more support to make themselves useful even in casual. For what it does, it'll see play and not busted. I do feel that it should have some GY recovery as well, seeing the new rules don't do justice for their boss. 

However, I suppose Orbital 7 himself not dueling more led to lack of development.

15 + 13 + 10 = 38

95 marks

Pass!

Kq94G0o.png

Worm Preparations

Continuous Spell Card

Once per turn: You can discard 1 card, and if you do, draw 1 card. Once per turn, if you control no monsters, or if a Reptile "Worm" monster(s) is sent to your Graveyard (except during the Damage Step): You can Special Summon 1 Reptile "Worm" monster from your Graveyard in face-down Defense Position. You can activate this effect: Send this card from your hand or your side of the field to your Graveyard; Fusion Summon 1 "Worm" Fusion Monster, using monsters from your hand or the field as Fusion Materials. It cannot be destroyed by battle until the end of the next turn.

To be fair to Worms, they only have Zero as a target for last effect. That being said, I am slightly skeptical about the first effect; because of the potential for abuse in other Decks that LIKE the GY. Also issue with first two effects synergizing with each other (though in their defense), they do need it to an extent so...I don't know if this needs to be powered down or not. 

But if it helps, they do get an archetypal Fusion card that protects Zero, so...

10 + 12 + 8 = 32

80 marks

Pass!

Kq94G0o.png

Sorry I don't have a picture for this one, this is writtenThis is for the Iron Chain Archetype, an underdeveloped archetype based on mill-based burn damage.

Bessemer Chain

Field Spell

"Iron Chain" Monsters gain 500DEF. Once per turn, during your End Phase, you may draw three cards. If you draw any "Chain" cards, reveal them, then inflict 300 Life Points to your opponent for each "Chain" card drawn, then discard any card without "chain" in its name that was drawn. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, both players send the top card of their Deck to the Graveyard, then they both can shuffle one card in their Graveyard into their Deck.

No problem, you aren't required to have an image for cards. 

But that being said, milling is actually counterproductive on your end (as the opponent) because a lot of Decks like being in the GY to trigger stuff. Not keen on the "draw 3" effect, since it does amount to a better Pot of Greed for them if you get lucky (among other things that can trigger; though the chances of those Decks teching this card for the GY triggers is low). However, I suppose it does make Coil a bit stronger, but in the long run, you may have been better off choosing an Archetype that doesn't require a total 180 to work, or give them another monster (as you already noted, they are ill supported).

I suppose it's another toy they can use (considering how Takasu was a forgettable character after the Detention Center mini-plot and didn't get more than a single pack), albeit lack the power to make full benefit of.

10 + 10 + 10 = 30

75 marks

Pass (barely)

Kq94G0o.png

=====

I shall have your final task at a later time.

Ah yes, it's time for the final part of the exam. Cadets, are you prepared for it?

Your final will consist of the following:

Design an animal-themed monster card.

You can either choose to make one based on a full-on animal, an anthro / Beast-Warrior or something else if you so choose. Please make sure that the effects make sense, and design responsibly (take into account any existing support cards).

[For clarification purposes, you may also design cards based on myself, Nick, Chief Bogo and/or my colleagues at the ZPD if you desire. Reminder that we're anthropomorphic animals and fit the theme.]

====

You have until November 18th, 2017 @ 11:00 pm HST to submit your entry

Please ask if you have any questions about what is acceptable.

====

Be warned that you will require at least 80 marks to receive a stamp.

Any lower will result in you needing to redo your work.

(This basically means getting 32/40 from that rubric earlier)

====

Best of luck, everyone!

Right, and I believe I need to go rep those of you who submitted an entry.

(All of you got three reps)

[i was going to make you guys do a card themed on law enforcement, but that might've ended up being more restrictive than intended. If there is still interest after this round, suppose we can do this one as a special, or save it for another tournament. Was going to do it in honor of HPD getting a new chief after the drama surrounding previous one and the department's image.]

This is my perspective of "animal-themed monster card": Being an animal which effects resolve (partially and not only) around other animals, a.k.a. Beast/Beast Warrior/Winged Beast (and synergetic cards), even itself.

FhJ2sK8.jpg?1

LORE: While face-up on the field, this card is also EARTH-Attribute. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can declare a number from 1 to 4; this card's Level becomes the declared number. When this card is Tributed or destroyed and sent to your Graveyard: Special Summon 1 Level 1 monster from your Deck in face-up Attack Position, but its effects are negated, also banish it when it leaves the field. You can only activate this effect of "Loria Tibiarrot" once per turn. A Beast, Beast Warrior or Winged Beast Monster that used this card as a Material for its Fusion/Synchro/Xyz Summon cannot be tageted by card effects.

Some trivia: The original name is Lorius Tibialis, maybe an endangered species of parrots. If so, maybe the effect that can potentially replenish itself is meant to.... keep the species going?

I decided to change my card from the pig. I like this one more.

[spoiler=Jörmungandr, the Serpent of the End]46Rk95U.png

Jörmungandr, the Serpent of the End

Level 10

DARK Reptile / Effect

4000 / 4000

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand or GY) by Tributing 3 DARK monsters you control. Unaffected by card effects. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can target 1 Level/Rank 8 or higher monster on the field: Place 1 Venomous Counter on that monster. A monster with a Venomous Counter is banished during the third End Phase after the Venomous Counter was placed on it.

Couldn't help but go into the Norse mythology. The main effect is based on the myth that its venom is destined to kill Thor as well as just the fact that many snakes have venom. Note that the "Aesir" monsters are all Level 10 monsters and can be targeted by this card's effect, including Thor.

It's a rabbit! And a samurai! And samurai are like the police--there might be a joke here somewhere...

cLmENtd.png
[spoiler=Lore]2 Level 2 Beast monsters
This card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each. If this card battles an opponent's monster: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; this card's ATK becomes equal to the ATK of the opponent's battling monster +100 until the end of this turn. If this card is sent to the GY: You can add 1 Beast monster from your GY to your hand.

It was meant to synergize with Number 64 and Missus Radiant--obviously giving the Level 2 Beasts some support. Acts as an option for an offensive (whereas Sandayu promotes more of a grinding type of play) and gives you back a monster if you use it for a Link Summon (of Missus Radiant, probably). ATK boost lasts until the EP to help Sandayu get out beefy tokens.

As for quick flavor notes:
I'm sure you know what Usagi means.
Breaker because it can break boards via battle :)

Z3gD3a4.jpg[spoiler=Effect]
Sagittabound Eques
Level 4/Fire
Beast-Warrior/Effect
If this card is Normal or Flip Summoned: You can target 1 monster on the field; Special Summon 1 Beast-Warrior from your hand whose level is equal to the targeted monster. If this card is Special Summoned from your GY: You can target 1 monster on the field; send it to the GY. You can only activate each effect of "Sagittabound Eques" once per turn.

[spoiler=Optional design notes]Went with a horse because it was the first thing that popped into my head, which then lead to doing a centaur. Sagitta and Eques are Latin for arrow and knight respectively, which then lead to deciding the attribute to be fire. This was done based of the zodiac Sagittarius, which is the archer and has the element fire.

Effect is split into two. The first is based off scouting and is used to reinforce your board providing you have at least a level 4 in your hand. The second effect is based off assassination and is used for a quick kill.

Stats are fairly generic, 1900 ATK to allow for it to hit a fair bit, and 200 DEF to allow synergy with Rekindling.

Bifron Lamb
EARTH - ✪✪
Beast/Effect
This card can be treated as 2 Tributes or 2 Materials for the Tribute, Fusion, Synchro, or Link Summon of a Beast, Beast-Warrior, or Winged-Beast monster; you cannot declare an attack the turn you activate this effect. If you only control Beast, Beast-Warrior, or Winged-Beast monsters: You can Special Summon this card from the GY, but banish it when it leaves the field. You can only use this effect of "Bifron Lamb" once per turn.
[200/200]

Archived