Column Play, as a Rule?

Considering Konami's new push for column play cards and archetypes (ex. Mikuratori, and the Jack Knights), should Konami let players move monsters on their field as a rule?

​This is the rule I would put into the Master Rules if I could:
​Once per the turn player's turn, that player can move 1 monster they control in a Main Monster Zone to another of their unused Main Monster Zones, except a monster that was Normal, Flip, or Special Summoned that same turn. This only applies to 1 monster per turn.

​What do you think? Should we consider this going forward into VRAINS, or just forgot what I said.

​NOTE: I did just lift the existing rule for changing battle positions but applied to only one monster per turn.

IDK about how it doesn't have to be an adjacent zone, how it isn't an ability inherent to any card (for Extra Monster Zone and Pendulum Zone relief purposes).

I mean, those would be the core uses one would want .... other than cards from Cyberdark Impact! and left/right arrow Links opening up new Zones.

I'd like it as a general "1 card move to adjacent empty viable zone)" and have it be an unlockable ability (like how for example Pendulum Summon is an inherent ability but you need scales to Unlock it) through situation-based means or something.... I don't really have useful specific suggestions to further this though.

Not your worst idea by far, but I think they should leave it as is.

I just made this post because of Konami pushing column play as hard as they have been, plus honestly I don't know if it even matters if they did because this push their doing for column play might just be until VRAINS ends.

IDK about how it doesn't have to be an adjacent zone, how it isn't an ability inherent to any card (for Extra Monster Zone and Pendulum Zone relief purposes).

As far as moving the monsters freely, that's for the sake of powercreep in the game; most players don't want to be too constrained with how they play the game (thank you Konami for the Link Monster Rule about Extra Deck Summoning) so I didn't think it would be a bad thing to have players move their monsters freely. And for the Extra Deck Zone and Pendulum Zone, the Pendulum Zone is now also in the Spell & Trap Zone and to date, not 1 card made in the game has an effect that moves cards in the Spell & Trap Zone, which is the basis for this post, all the cards being made that move monsters in the Main Monster Zone and that rely on where they are on the field. If I (or Konami) made the rule to include the Extra Monster Zone, they that actually defeats the purpose of Konami making it in the first place; I think they made the Extra Monster Zone and the rule about Summoning monsters there to slow the game down a bit (which never happened) by forcing players to only be able to Summon 1 monster from the Extra Deck at a time without using Link Monsters, but if they then allowed you to at best freely move 1 monster from there then it would almost be like playing during any point before VRAINS with the player still being able to pull off big combos involving Summoning multiple monsters from the Extra Deck each turn. Granted that still happens now, but not as often if you don't include Decks that run at least a small handful of Link Monsters.

I wouldn't support this change, personally. Column-based archetypes encourages players to think twice before placing a card in a Zone. If both players are then allowed to freely move their cards to another Zone once per turn, then this psychological impact, so to speak, of said archetypes would be lost and become moot.

If a link monster is summoned from the GY, you place it in the Main monster zone. So, one of those staple link monster with a effect to move stuff around the board could come around? An example would be something like this:

Vamp DIO, The World

DARK Link 1 Zombie/Link/1500/Link-1

link points West

1 monster

During either player's turn, you can 1 tribute monster you control except "Vamp DIO, the World" to Special Summon 1 link 3 or lower Link monster in your GY. You can only activate this effect of "Vamp Dio, the World" once per turn. If a monster is co-linked to this card, this card can not be targeted by your opponent's cards or effects.

I wouldn't support this change, personally. Column-based archetypes encourages players to think twice before placing a card in a Zone. If both players are then allowed to freely move their cards to another Zone once per turn, then this psychological impact, so to speak, of said archetypes would be lost and become moot.

Those same archetypes could also be powercreeped out if Konami abandons this concept entirely like they did all the back in Cyberdark Impact. I think you would still have the psychological impact with this rule, but then Konami would have to start churning out cards and archetypes by the ton for each main series booster set that heavily rely on where they are on the field, like Mikuratori.

If a link monster is summoned from the GY, you place it in the Main monster zone. So, one of those staple link monster with a effect to move stuff around the board could come around? An example would be something like this:

Vamp DIO, The World

DARK Link 1 Zombie/Link/1500/Link-1

link points West

1 monster

During either player's turn, you can 1 tribute monster you control except "Vamp DIO, the World" to Special Summon 1 link 3 or lower Link monster in your GY. You can only activate this effect of "Vamp Dio, the World" once per turn. If a monster is co-linked to this card, this card can not be targeted by your opponent's cards or effects.

holy funk the brokenness is on a whole nother level here

Archived