Pokemon Sword & Pokemon Shield

~British Soul~

I already have some ideas for names:

- Corviknight: Nevermore

- Zacian: Sleygal

- Eldegoss: notWhimsicot (I know Whimsicott has two t's, but that's one too many characters)

Also, on the note of Max raid battles:

If three other Trainers aren’t available to participate in Max Raid Battles, support Trainers will automatically be added to your side to help you battle the wild Dynamax Pokémon.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the designs of Corviknight and Drednaw. Corviknight likely is final form, but I can see Drednaw evolving. Still find the idea of getting final forms before base, but they've don that before.

Not sure how I feel about Dynamax. I'm hopeful it isn't just better Z-Moves.

Also, having both overworld and random encounters is really cool. Makes the world more dynamic while keep the games to their roots.

I already have some ideas for names:

- Corviknight: Nevermore

- Zacian: Sleygal

- Eldegoss: notWhimsicot (I know Whimsicott has two t's, but that's one too many characters)

Also, on the note of Max raid battles:

If three other Trainers aren’t available to participate in Max Raid Battles, support Trainers will automatically be added to your side to help you battle the wild Dynamax Pokémon.

Can.....can I steel that Corviknight name?

Speaking of steeling. Corviknight is a Steel/Flying type. Turtle Water/Rock. Flowers Grass (shocking). And sheep is normal.

Super nice you don't need friends to do raids.

^ That will NOT be a meme, I guarantee that.

extended thoughts post direct:

The wild area looks pretty interesting and beautiful as well (can't praise the art style enough), having an open-world BotW style element, especially when you can control the camera is cool. BotW was great in its own right, so having something like that in Pokémon is a good idea. I'm still a bit iffy on the idea of Dynamaxing. We had giant Pokémon in the form of balloons in XY, and SwSh is like "hold our beers" by having proper giant Pokémon (Now any Pokémon can be a Kaiju). One silver lining about Dynamaxing, or should I say Max Raid battles is that if you don't have three other players, you get support trainers to fill the quota, and I like that Nintendo did that, especially since some Pokémon can only be acquired via Max Raid battles. Rotom Phone, I'm hoping isn't as chatty as the Rotomdex, because it was somewhat irritating. As for the Pokémon itself, Wooloo is adorable, Drednaw looks pretty cool, though its Water/Rock typing may make it vulnerable. Corviknight's design is awesome, definitely my favourite of the bunch thus far. Gossifleur is interesting, whilst Eldegoss to me, is discount Whimsicott. Onto the characters, Leon's design is neat (Not sure why he has a Charizard though), Hop is another Hau/Trace so I'm not surprised they're continuing the trend of friendly rivals that they've had since XY. I like that we've got another older professor (last time being Rowan, so maybe DP remakes confirmed?), and I wasn't expecting Magnolia for the name tbph. As for her granddaughter, Sonia, I like that we have a relative as an assistant in the games (I know in the anime Gary became a researcher post-Johto), and Milo looks like a relative of Ramos. Finally onto the legendaries, their designs look cool, though slightly over the top.

On another note, I like that James Turner is the art director for these games, and it's fitting as he's British and the region is based on the UK.

It is really good name.

It is yeah, and literally was the first thing I thought of when I saw it. I'm definitely going to use it on my final team at least.

The fact that Wooloo is trending on twitter suggests you're not alone in the good sheep being your favorite. Personally I'm more interesting in turtle and crow, but sheep is indeed precious.

Also, I forgot that with new Pokemon games comes new waifus. Sonia is the new hotness.

Two new pokemon were revealed in the demo:

Yamper, an electric-type

yamper.jpg

Impidimp, a dark/fairy

impidimp2.jpg

I think it's interesting that they made a dark/fairy

pokemon went full garbage. You can't transfer non-galar pokemon into the game

Yeah, I don't like that either, but I think that's for game balance.

No Non-Galar and no Megas is legit killing my interest in the game and is SUPER deflating. Like, Mega Pokemon ARE different Pokemon. Even if the Dex is the largest of any gens at over 500 that still leaves a bit under half the Pokemon unobtainable. And yea, I'm fine with that being the case from the start. Bank didn't go live for Gen 6 and 7 right away. But what even is the point of Home if it only moves Pokemon into Sw/Sh if they are already there. Why am I going to want to move my Pokemon on a one way trip into Home if half of them are stuck there. If they didn't want non-Galar Pokemon and Megas and Z-Moves useable in competitive play they could have just made that the rule. Taking away the ability to even have them in the game is just an awful feeling.

Some further details about Pokémon Sword & Shield were revealed in Famitsu. Within the interview with Masuda and Ohmori, it was confirmed that there is currently no decision to bring the existing Pokémon that can't be in Sword & Shield back into the game using patches, but those that don't will still have an active role in Pokémon HOME.

I have never cared about the feature, though I always thought it was a neat feature, and that it made you want to keep your team forever, and I believe I read that you can still transfer them to Home, just not to Sword and Shield, I know that people want to use their competitive teams, so that sucks, especially due to how difficult it is to get a team together with max IVs and all that stuff.

That being said, I personally don't want to use the members, if I were to do it early game, that would defeat the purpose of a whole new world to explore, and late them, it just feels like cheating, the only thing is to fill out the Dex, though it feels a bit cheap to just do that instead of catching the Pokemon instead. It doesn't have any impact on me, and won't ever have any.

I doubt they'll change it too, while people did manage to make them change Mario Maker 2 to allow online co-op, this feels like a more design oriented decision from the get-go, since they have said that they don't want so many Pokemon that it feels overwhelming, and that the amount of work that goes into 1000+ Pokemon animation is just getting out of hand, especially when moving unto a whole new platform, I can get that, and it was probably inevitable. it doesn't look great for them, and I don't really know how they could have handled it better, because the decision was probably made a long time ago, they most likely have thought about doing it for a while, but that now with new system in place, they had little choice in the matter.

You know, the Galar only thing really does suck behind to obvious reason. This is going to be the discourse around the game at basically all points until they backpedal. And it is deflating since the game looks really good. The new Pokemon look amazing. The wild area is really cool. The idea of a new competitive format is exciting. The music is stupidly good. But we're going to keep coming back to this and talk in circles. Sigh....

I have never cared about the feature, though I always thought it was a neat feature, and that it made you want to keep your team forever, and I believe I read that you can still transfer them to Home, just not to Sword and Shield, I know that people want to use their competitive teams, so that sucks, especially due to how difficult it is to get a team together with max IVs and all that stuff.

That being said, I personally don't want to use the members, if I were to do it early game, that would defeat the purpose of a whole new world to explore, and late them, it just feels like cheating, the only thing is to fill out the Dex, though it feels a bit cheap to just do that instead of catching the Pokemon instead. It doesn't have any impact on me, and won't ever have any.

I doubt they'll change it too, while people did manage to make them change Mario Maker 2 to allow online co-op, this feels like a more design oriented decision from the get-go, since they have said that they don't want so many Pokemon that it feels overwhelming, and that the amount of work that goes into 1000+ Pokemon animation is just getting out of hand, especially when moving unto a whole new platform, I can get that, and it was probably inevitable. it doesn't look great for them, and I don't really know how they could have handled it better, because the decision was probably made a long time ago, they most likely have thought about doing it for a while, but that now with new system in place, they had little choice in the matter.

I mean, you can still use any of the competitive Pokemon you breed in past gens now. Like my Clefable in Y is more or less going to be the same as one I'd want in SwSh.

The issue isn't the main game. I almost always exclusively use the new Pokemon when I play the game proper. Even if I wanted to it wouldn't be until early next year that I even could so for most people not having access right away isn't an issue either. That was expected. It's one thing to know eventually all Pokemon will be in SwSh, another to know that, no, it isn't happening. And what is lost is the ability to play with friends and not having access to past favorites. It is having caught them all and having no use for half the Pokemon suddenly (this is the one that bothers me). I don't even mind that completive Pokemon is going to have half them banned. Honestly, I think that is a good thing. It allows for new environments and can help fight against power creep since lord knows that's been a major issue for the franchise for years. When MTG introduced Standard and rotation people rioted, but the new stuff was still being add to the old in older formats. That isn't the case anymore. Everything that isn't making it into SwSh is frozen in time for in game play and that feels bad.

I honestly don't fault them for the amount of work moving over 910 functionally unique Pokemon into SwSh on top of adding what is likely to be another 100 odd Pokemon. And the Mario Maker 2 comparison isn't the best since they've said they were intending to having online friend play, but couldn't get it finished for release. Here I fully agree they didn't have any plans to bring them over. Them having no plans at present to bring in the old Pokemon means no work has been begone. Doing models and animation for 500 odd Pokemon is not a small endeavor. At the earliest I imagine they might be able to get most of them for the game coming out in 2020. Though this will only make the first versions that much more inferior to the 3rd version which has been an issue for the games forever.

I will note two things though. First, that online battlers like Pokemon Showdown can very easily just ignore this. If they wanted to make a format that just added the new stuff to the stuff in limbo they can. To use the MTG analogy, it would be Legacy to SwSh's standard. Second, as brought up by British, Home is going to give the limbo Pokemon something to do if they are put into it. This is REALLY important since moving them into what is basically a jail for half of them is dumb and awful. What that is I honestly have no idea, but maybe they aren't dead just yet. What I do know is this has been met with damn near universal unhappiness I doubt they can just ignore that.

Archived