Aethereal Archetype [WRITTEN]

Tinkerer

Hello, fine peoples!

I was looking through a backlog of some of my old card designs. This one is technically an unfinished archetype, but it's "complete" enough as-is and it's unlikely that I'll expand on it, so... Might as well post it right?

My prompt:

An archetype of ritual spells devoid of monsters. The ritual spells tribute other ritual spells to Summon tokens. They also have GY effects to give the tokens some power.

Cards:

Aethereal Connection
Ritual Spell
Tribute any number of Ritual Spells from your hand or side of the field; Ritual Summon 1 "Aethereal Avatar Token" (Psychic/WIND/Level 6/ATK 2000/DEF 2000) for each Spell tributed. "Aethereal Avatar Tokens" cannot be used as material. While this card is in the GY, "Aethereal Avatar Tokens" you control gain 100 ATK. While you control an "Aethereal Avatar Token", you can banish this card from your GY and target 1 Set card your opponent controls; destroy it. You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn.

Aethereal Possession
Ritual Spell
Tribute any number of Ritual Spells from your hand or side of the field; Ritual Summon 1 "Aethereal Avatar Token" (Psychic/WIND/Level 6/ATK 2000/DEF 2000) for each Spell tributed. "Aethereal Avatar Tokens" cannot be used as material. While this card is in the GY, "Aethereal Avatar Tokens" you control gain 100 ATK. While you control an "Aethereal Avatar Token", you can banish this card from your GY and target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; return it to the hand. You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn.

Aethereal Alteration
Ritual Spell
Tribute any number of Ritual Spells from your hand or side of the field; Ritual Summon 1 "Aethereal Avatar Token" (Psychic/WIND/Level 6/ATK 2000/DEF 2000) for each Spell tributed. "Aethereal Avatar Tokens" cannot be used as material. While this card is in the GY, "Aethereal Avatar Tokens" you control gain 100 ATK. While you control an "Aethereal Avatar Token", you can banish this card from your GY and target 1 banished "Aethereal" card; add it to your hand. You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn.

Aethereal Liberation
Ritual Spell
Tribute any number of Ritual Spells from your hand or side of the field; Ritual Summon 1 "Aethereal Avatar Token" (Psychic/WIND/Level 6/ATK 2000/DEF 2000) for each Spell tributed. "Aethereal Avatar Tokens" cannot be used as material. While this card is in the GY, "Aethereal Avatar Tokens" you control gain 100 ATK. While you control an "Aethereal Avatar Token", you can banish this card from your GY; add 1 "Aethereal" card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn.

Aethereal Reincarnation
Ritual Spell
Banish any number of Ritual Spells from your GY; Ritual Summon 1 "Aethereal Avatar Token" (Psychic/WIND/Level 6/ATK 2000/DEF 2000) for each Spell tributed. "Aethereal Avatar Tokens" cannot be used as material. While this card is in the GY, "Aethereal Avatar Tokens" you control gain 100 ATK. While you control an "Aethereal Avatar Token", you can target 3 banished "Aethereal" cards except "Aethereal Reincarnation"; banish this card from the GY, then shuffle those targets into the Deck, and if you do, draw 2 cards.  You can only use one effect of this card's name per turn and only once per turn.

Aethereal Assimilation
Ritual Spell
Tribute 1 Ritual Spell from your hand or side of the field; Ritual Summon 1 "Aethereal Avatar Token" (Psychic/WIND/Level 6/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). "Aethereal Avatar Tokens" cannot be used as material. While this card is in the GY, "Aethereal Avatar Tokens" you control gain 300 ATK. While you control an "Aethereal Avatar Token" (Quick Effect), you can banish this card from your GY and target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; negate that target's effects until the End Phase.  You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn.

There's some things I'd tweak about 'em now, but I think this set made a good baseline.

Thanks for the look and, as always, CnC much appreciated!

Cheers!

Currently, this archetype doesn't do much. I have to agree though, this concept is super neat! I'd really love to see you expand on it more. I also like the idea that you can recycle Liberation with Alteration, making this deck able to consistently search the cards it needs (if it gets more, of course.)

Again, definitely would love to see more support for this archetype!

Thank you both.  Getting positive feedback for the cards pushed me into adding a couple more cards to it.

Reincarnation and Assimilation are a little different from the above four.  Reincarnation allows you to kill your GY resources to summon a bunch of tokens at once, while Assimilation limits you to only summoning 1 Token but has a powerful disruptive GY effect.

What an interesting twist for Ritual Spells! What I liked the most was that you made me imagine of mystical rituals performed by some bearded archmages in a heavenly altar or something (lol, please pay me no mind).  Anyway, great job. I'm looking forward to more members of the archetype, seems very fun to use. I also liked how you use You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn instead of the typical You can only use each effect of "Aetherial Reincarnation" once per turn. I wonder if such a grammar could become a thing in official cards.

Haha!  Admittedly, there is something to that visual, even if the names don't really have anything to do with it.  That reminds me... I should post that other weird mechanic of mine...

Anyways, if I'm remembering correctly, that grammar bit is something that I picked up from hard translations of leaked Japanese cards.  This page gives an example (under "Common phrases in card text").  In a sense, it is official grammar, but it isn't used in the TCG.  Either way, it's a real time saver for custom cards! 😁

Indeed it is! Since I tend to make my card names AND lores pretty long, it's really annoying to use the full name of cards for exceptions and limitations, so the form you use looks nice.

I didn't really know much about the differences in japanese cards, except for the numbers they use to differentiate each effect. By the way, since I'm beginning to learn japanese and can understand hiragana and katagana, THANK YOU for posting that link, I'm actually enjoying learning the terms they use, which also works for practicing.

Please don't leave us with the intrigue and post that "Weird mechanic of yours" already, eh?😊

Archived