Yugioh Story Archetypes [WRITTEN]

Tinkerer

Hello, fine peoples!

I mentioned this in a status, but I'd found an old Yugioh story that I'd started a few years back (early pendulum era, I believe).  I'm thinking of continuing it or maybe rewriting it, but I thought that I might as well post some of the archetype ideas alongside maybe a little bit about the character that used 'em.  I plan on streamlining the cards, so they are probably going to be more straightforward than they were in the story.  I also plan on putting only a handful of cards so you can get a gist of 'em.

Sidenote: On top of certain experimental mechanics (which I'll try to explain when I get to 'em), I also have 2 additional monster types: Aero and Shadow.  They act as "elemental types" alongside Pyro, Aqua, Thunder, and Rock.  Also, I'm putting the cards in Quote sections so you can open/close 'em. Why is there still no good way to spoiler things?

This first archetype was pretty close to my heart.  Out of all the archetypes and concepts from the story, I never really forgot about this one, even after I stopped writing the story.  It's undergone several iterations (including one where it had a Level 50 Ritual monster), but on the whole its true gimmick remained the same.

Hypermassive Archetype

Hypermassive Moonface
DARK 7*
Rock/Effect
If you have no Level/Rank 6 or lower monsters in your GY: You can Normal Summon this card without tributes.  You can tribute this card; Special Summon 1 "Hypermassive" monster from your Deck, but destroy it during the End Phase of the next turn.
2100/2600

This card's name and Level has stayed the same throughout all the archetype's changes.  I kinda picture a giant baby with a moon for a head and a grotesque-looking face.  Think one of the Helios Trice Megistus x Majora's Moon. If any of this character's cards gets an upgrade, this will be the one.

Hypermassive Ironside
EARTH 8*
Rock/Effect
You can Normal Summon this card without tributes, but its ATK is halved.  If this card battles a monster while you have no Level/Rank 6 or lower monsters in your GY; halve the ATK/DEF of the monster this card battles.  If this card is destroyed: You can destroy 1 monster on the field.
2600/2500

Hypermassive Wyrmhole
LIGHT 9*
Wyrm/Effect
If this card is sent to your GY, and all monsters in your GY are Level/Rank 7 or higher: You can Special Summon 1 "Hypermassive" monster from your hand, and if you do, you can banish cards from either GY up to the Summoned monster's Level.
3100/2300

Hypermassive Starstreak
FIRE 10*
Pyro/Effect
Halve this card's ATK/DEF if you have a monster in your GY whose Level/Rank is 6 or lower.  Once per turn: You can send the top 3 cards from your Deck to the GY; destroy 1 card on the field, and if you do, banish it.  You must have no Level/Rank 6 or lower monsters in your GY to activate and resolve this effect.
3200/3000

The ace monster.  Essentially a higher stat (but weaker) version of Orbital Hydralander.

Hypermassive Alignment - Solis Dominio
Spell
Add 1 "Hypermassive" monster from your Deck to your hand.  If you have no Level/Rank 6 or lower monsters in your GY when this effect resolves, you can send 1 "Hypermassive" monster from your Deck to the GY.

I was in a phase where I had to give every archetype its own RotA.  I could leave this out when I start over, but that kinda feels disingenuous.

I had 3 more cards, but this feels good enough to show off the gimmick.

Character/Story stuff

Contrary to what I probably should have done, this is NOT the MC's archetype.  The MC (TJ) uses a specific gimmick that I'm still trying to figure out how I want to word.  The Hypermassives belong to TJ's best friend: Anfernee.

Anfernee falls under the "Genki Guy" trope.  Happy-go-lucky and energetic, he's outgoing and sociable.  However, his antics tend to drive people away as much as they gather people to him.  He's also not what you would call "detail oriented".  The spectacle around the Hypermassives fit this over-the-top personality.  However, because he tends to be a bit sloppy in his duels, he likes using the Hypermassives' high power and grotesque appearances to compensate and throw off his opponents.  Fortunately, this strategy has worked well for him and he can rightfully claim that he's one of the better duelists in the school.

That's it for now!  I dunno if I'll be able to post more on a regular basis, but I'll see if I can figure out something consistent.  I'll probably have to rework a few of the archetypes from the ground-up, so that should be interesting.  Anyways, as always, CnC much appreciated!

Cheers!

Interesting. This seems like a cool archetype, and I love the idea of the Duelist using their appearances in his strategies. I do have one idea to add: since these cards have limitations based on Levels in the GY, perhaps there is a card that allows you to manipulate that?

"Hypermassive Blackout"

Continuous Spell

While you have a "Hypermassive" monster in your GY: all monsters in your GY with an original Level/Rank of 6 or lower become Level/Rank 7 while they remain in your GY.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:54 AM, morrisoni4 said:

Interesting. This seems like a cool archetype, and I love the idea of the Duelist using their appearances in his strategies. I do have one idea to add: since these cards have limitations based on Levels in the GY, perhaps there is a card that allows you to manipulate that?

"Hypermassive Blackout"

Continuous Spell

While you have a "Hypermassive" monster in your GY: all monsters in your GY with an original Level/Rank of 6 or lower become Level/Rank 7 while they remain in your GY.

Thanks!

Since the story was a bit more anime-esque than practical, I'd think that irl something like Blackout would be necessary for the deck.  For now, though, I think I'll stick to the bare bones and I'll figure out if I wanna expand the archetype later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of which, I guess I should get on to the MC's archetype, shouldn't I?

Before I show the cards, I should explain a little.  I had made this a long time ago when the only card (I think) that banished things face-down was Ghostrick Skeleton.  Because that concept had not been explored further at the time, I decided to jump on it and create the idea of the "Deep Graveyard" and the "Deep Banished Zone" (Yes, I know Banished Zone is not a thing, but it made writing cards easier, so work with me on this 😋).  Basically, cards that are in the Deep GY/BZ, are face-down and are always under the face-up cards in the GY/BZ.  In the game, you are not technically allowed to mix up the order of stuff in your GY/BZ, so this would enable you to reorder things.

That said, stuff in the Deep GY/BZ operate in the same way as face-down banished cards work.  The player can look at them, but the cards are not considered to have any card type/attribute/level/etc.  It's not super revolutionary, but it allowed for some interesting stuff and made the MC's boss monster way ahead of its time.

Without further ado, onto the cards!

Hidden Magician of the Deep Realm
DARK 7*
Spellcaster/Effect
Gains 200 ATK/DEF for each card in the Deep Banished Zone.  When this card is Summoned: Flip all face-up cards in the GY and Banished Zone face-down.
2500/2000

I am actually serious.  I took out one of its extra effects to streamline the card, but this was the original effect that I made all those years ago.  It'd actually make for a great anti-meta card today considering how well it shuts down GY/Banishing strategies.  Based on Dark Magician.

Deep Warrior of the Hidden Realm
DARK 8*
Warrior/Effect
Gains 100 ATK/DEF for each card in the Deep GY.  You can return 3 cards from your Deep Banished Zone to your Deep GY; destroy 2 cards on the field and banish thiem face-down.  You can only use this effect of "Deep Warrior of the Hidden Realm" once per turn.
2300/2100

I don't remember this guy's original effects and it had not come up in the story yet.  I do remember originally giving it Buster Blader stats and a higher level ATK-gain effect, but I decided to make it a bit more practical and make it an homage to both Buster Blader and Gaia.

The remaining cards are ones that I just made to give a simplified idea of his cards.  I don't actually have the pieces of the story where he's dueling so...

Hidden Rebel
DARK ****
Psychic/Effect
Once per turn: You can target 1 Level 4 or lower monster in your GY; send the top 3 cards from your Deck to the GY face-down, and if you do, add that target to your hand.
1500/1000

Deep Brute
FIRE ****
Warrior/Effect
You can banish 1 card from your Deep GY face-down to Special Summon this card from your hand.  Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can flip 1 card in your Deep Banished Zone face-up; this card gains 400 ATK until the End Phase.
1900/100

Deeply Hidden Pot
Continuous Spell
During your Draw Phase, draw the top card in your Deep GY, then banish 1 card from your hand face-down.  If you cannot, send this card to the GY and flip all cards in your GY face-down, then you take damage equal to half your LP.

The "Hiddens" are supposed to use the Deep GY, while the "Deeps" are meant to use Deep Banishment.

Character/Story Stuff

These cards (along with the "Wannabe" archetype) comprise the deck of TJ, the main character of the story.

The "Hiddens" and "Deeps" are not really meant to be an archetype, but they are meant to be a bit like the Zombie type in that they all have a certain theme that ties them together.  This is much like how TJ is.  He is a dabbler, average at almost everything except Yugioh, of which he's somewhat of a prodigy.  His father designs cards and his older brother is heading for a pro league, but despite his natural talent for it and being surrounded by the game, TJ never gets his own deck until after the start of the story.

If the "Hiddens/Deeps" represent TJ's dabbling nature, the "Wannabes" are meant to show his potential ("Wannabes" are generally considered garbage-level cards, but they have very powerful effects under very specific circumstances).  All three "archetypes" (as well as the next character's archetype) were designed by TJ's father.

Personality-wise, TJ generally overanalyzes things and can often get nervous and tripped up.  He is also very much a people-pleaser which sometimes gets him into situations where others tread on him.  His nondescript face/body/hair also make him easy to overlook.  A lot of this demeanor changes when he duels though; he tends to be precise and a fairly sure of himself, even when lots of people are watching.

I'm not really sure I like how the Level 4s turned out, but w/e.  There's a ton of cards I could make for Hiddens/Deeps and a few of 'em are probably saved on my account whenever YCMaker restores the saved cards.

Anyways, as always, CnC much appreciated!  I think the next character had one of my favorite archetypal concepts so I should definitely try to do it justice.

I like this idea a lot. However, I think you might be overcomplicating things a bit. Just having face-down banished cards is common enough now that the Deep Zone might not be necessary. Although I don't know of any cards that place cards in the GY face-down off the top of my head, the idea wouldn't be too hard to implement in the current game, even without a new subzone. And if you just have it banish cards face-down normally, that would allow him to combo the "Deeps" with cards like "Eater of Millions". Just a thought. Your story, your call.

2 hours ago, morrisoni4 said:

I like this idea a lot. However, I think you might be overcomplicating things a bit. Just having face-down banished cards is common enough now that the Deep Zone might not be necessary. Although I don't know of any cards that place cards in the GY face-down off the top of my head, the idea wouldn't be too hard to implement in the current game, even without a new subzone. And if you just have it banish cards face-down normally, that would allow him to combo the "Deeps" with cards like "Eater of Millions". Just a thought. Your story, your call.

Yeah, this was pretty much why I had trouble figuring out how I wanted to word stuff and if I wanted to keep the old terms at all. Again, when I first moved forward with the concept, the only card that banished things face-down was Ghostrick Skeleton, so the idea was fairly novel back then.

That said, I had made 2 ruling differences between how Deep Banishment operates vs banish face-down:

1. For stuff in the Deep Banished Zone/Deep GY, they are forced to be put on the bottom of their respective location (i.e. No face-down banished cards can exist on top of face-up banished cards). Irl, this means nothing, but it was something I aimed to explore when combined with other ideas in the story.

2. Neither player could look at the cards in the Deep GYs/Banished Zones. This is much more relevant and could seriously impact how people would play vs. how it's played now.

That said, I pretty much based everything else about Deep banishment off of what little I knew about banish face-down, so now I'm not sure what to do with it. 😅

Hmm... Let's just say that moving forward, any cards in this thread that involve banishing /sending to Grave face-down comes with the above 2 Rulings attached. No irl cards were in the story, so I won't have to differentiate.

Hmm. You put some thought into this concept, didn't you?  And if you didn't use any official cards in the story, you must have a lot more up your sleeve... Would love to see those "Wannabe" cards you referenced earlier. Overall, these seem like good cards, that would make interesting gameplay. Nice job.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:10 AM, morrisoni4 said:

Would love to see those "Wannabe" cards you referenced earlier.

Eventually, my good friend.  Eventually.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now onto my favorite archetype concept!  The archetype itself is pretty self-explanatory, so I'll let 'em speak for themselves.

Kaleidoscope 

Kaleidoscope Recruiter Ladybug
FIRE **
Insect/Effect
If you control no Spell/Trap cards: You can add 1 "Kaleidoscope" monster from your Deck to your hand, then discard the same number of cards. You can only use this effect of "Kaleidoscope Recruiter Ladybug" once per turn.
300/1200

Kaleidoscope Larva Constructor
FIRE ***
Insect/Effect
If you control no Spell/Trap cards: You can send 1 card from the top of your Deck to your GY.  If a "Kaleidoscope" card(s) is sent to your GY by this effect, you can add 1 "Kaleidoscope" card from your GY to your hand.  You can only us this effect of "Kaleidoscope Larva Constructor" once per turn.
200/2000

Kaleidoscope Agent Mantis
FIRE ****
Insect/Effect
If you control no Spell/Trap cards: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; switch control of that target(s) and an equal number of "Kaleidoscope" monster(s) you control.  You can only use this effect of "Kaleidoscope Agent Mantis" once per turn.
1400/1000

Kaleidoscope Hive
Field Spell
"Kaleidoscope" monsters you control gain 200 ATK.  "Kaleidoscope" monsters your opponent controls lose 200 ATK.  Change the text of all "Kaleidoscope" monsters you control from "If you control no Spell/Trap cards" to "For each Spell/Trap card you control".

Kaleidoscope Glory Wing
Equip Spell
Activate this card by targeting 1 "Kaleidoscope" monster in your GY; Special Summon it and equip it with this card.  Change the text of the equipped monster from "If you control no Spell/Trap cards" to "For each Spell/Trap card you control".  When this card leaves the field, destroy that monster.  You can only activate 1 "Kaleidoscope Glory Wing" per turn.

Mwahahaha!  A complete 180 in strategy at the play of a single card!

I'd ended up making this archetype much later than the others (mid-late Arc-V era), so - mechanically - this was a lot more comprehensive than the Hypermassives and the Hiddens/Deeps.

Character/Story Stuff (I wish I wrote this archetype for a more important character...)

The Kaleidoscopes were used by Mariah (nicknamed Mags).  She was a former child star whose parents had squandered her fame and wealth.  Now over the age to be used, she and her family were tossed aside and now she attends a public high school.

Due to her circumstances and how far she's fallen, she tends to be cold and prickly. She gets aggressive if people recognize her and bring up her pas, so she tries to dress in a way so people don't recognize her.  That said, she is just a sad and lonely girl who misses her child stardom because it made her feel like she was part of something big.  She joined the school's duel club because yugioh did bring back that old feeling of connectedness.  Only the leader of the duel club, a kindhearted punk nicknamed "Ragweed", knows all these things about her.  The Kaleidoscopes reflect how her internal feelings completely oppose what she actually shows.

Narratively: TJ and co. challenges Mariah's school's duel club.  They decide on a best of three and she ends up facing Anfernee and his Hypermassives.  Anfernee, however, has always had a huge crush on Mariah and ends up losing badly.

I think planned to make Mariah a recurring character, but I dunno if I aimed to actually put her in the main cast.

Thanks for looking through these!  I think I'll add the actual Rival's archetypes next.

First of all... you had me google nondescript. Word added to vocabulary.

You knew how I am and attacked a weak spot: archetypes based on a story. Gameplay-wise, I find Hypermassive the most attractive, due to them being simple and devastating.. I felt something was off about Ironside's first effect, so I made a quick search and found this ocg card for the card grammar. I remember back in my tender youth, like 367 years ago, we had a friend that kept losing duels, because he had like 8 or more Lv 7 or higher Vanilla monsters in his Deck. Dark Magician, REBD, BEWD, etc.

- "Remove some, dude"

- "Nooooo"

- "Whyyyyy?" 

- "it's just... they're so powerful".

Well, with this archetype, he would have been happy. High level monsters that won't just stay in the hand while a Magician of Faith and a Hane-Hane clobbers you closer to death every turn XD.

The only effect in this archetype that I found a bit too strong was Wyrmhole's. Activate Solis Dominio -> Add Starstreak/Send Wyrmhole to GY -> SS Starstreak -> banish 10 whopping cards from your opponent's GY = profit. Rough.

In order to understand how free or limited this archetype is in general, I'd like to know if the Deck can consist of basically only Lv 7+ monster cards, because if it does, the conditions for their effects are a bit meaningless. I suppose it can be troublesome since it won't let you play hand traps for instance, though.

I'll be completely honest and say I found the Hidden/Deep archetype a bit too complicated/strange. While I'm playing, I get distracted kinda easily, so the idea of having 4 zones to deposit cards... well, I'd have to be very attentive in order to not mix up stuff ^_^'. Imo, the ace of the Deck, the Magician, cannot exist in the game of today, it's effect is too extreme. All in all, it seems this archetype is one of those who can become extremely though mid-game. Magician and Warrior are too dangerous, but so far there is no support that let them SS easily, which at least should slow down the Deck.

Finally, our cute, Find Her Name. Allow me to give a name suggestion, but don't feel obliged to use it if you don't like it: Geminia.

While reading, I was going to say "Why do these effects say the same number of" until I reached Hive and Glory Wing. So, all in all, this archetype seems more about being on the defensive and add Spell/Traps until you can steal some juicy strong monster your opponent's controls. While I don't meet the other members of the archetype, I can only say so. Mantis is the only relatively strong member, so the +200/-200 ATK fits the kaleidoscope idea but seems a bit pointless, as only Mantis can take down stuff by itself.

Oh, before I forget, despite what I said about Deeps, one of the effects I found to be pretty cool was Deeply Hidden Pot's. The idea of drawing from somewhere else that's not your Deck is fun. I was a bit confused about it at first, because I felt at first the drawing from the Deep GY was instead of the Normal Draw, but I guess you make a double draw, since it doesn't say "instead".

It'd be nice if you had some drawings of these 3 characters 🙂 

13 hours ago, Redro said:

Mwahahaha!  A complete 180 in strategy at the play of a single card!

Nice. It's cool that you can change your strategy to fit your needs, but it is worth noting that you have a distinct lack of continuous support cards to take advantage of for their effects. Also, Rayfield Luma is kind of right: "Mantis" is the only one with strong enough stats to effectively defend itself unsupported, but if you used something like "Shield & Sword", "Larva" and "Ladybug" would become much more viable. So overall, not bad. If there was some kind of ace, like an Extra Deck monster or a (semi?)Nomi Main Deck monster, it might make it a slightly more useable archetype. For instance (don't feel obliged to take this, just an idea):

"Kaleidoscope General Bombardier Beetle"

Level 8/FIRE/Insect/Effect/2500/2300

If you control no Spell or Trap Cards: This card gains 500 ATK.

(If you have "Hive" on the field, that alone grants it 500 extra ATK, so you break even. If you have that combined with a full back row, you get a whopping 3000 extra ATK. I didn't specify the Summoning method, just to give you a little more freedom of design if you choose to use this.)

Huh. I just had an epiphany. You both are completely right; I was so focused on simplifying the cards to show off their specific gimmick that I did not really show 'em in a way that you could actually use irl (except maybe Hypermassives). I'll try to be more aware of that moving forward.

For Kaleidoscopes specifically: when I looked back through my notebook this morning, I realized that I had at least 3 other cards that I could've added and that almost all the monsters had a secondary effect that fit more with how the Kaleidoscope strategy is supposed to work.

The strategy is mostly hinted with Mantis: steal opponent's monsters and deal damage with their own stuff. I wrote one monster that reflects battle damage, and I think Recruiter Ladybug had a floating effect that helped keep monsters on board. I only remembered the last move of the duel where Mariah swapped all her monsters with Anfernee and beat him with his own giants.

Since Kaleidoscope is my favorite archetype of the bunch, I think I'll make a whole separate post with the cards as they were originally designed. Maybe tweak their power level slightly (because some are absolutely ridiculous). Expect to see it... maybe today?

I've got to hand it to ya though @morrisoni4 , I actually do have a monster in the story with that exact effect (a passive 500 boost)!

It'd be nice if you had some drawings of these 3 characters  

I make no promises.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I cannot actually find the notebook where I wrote down the rival's archetypes.

I did, however, find the prompt that I used for his cards. It was a dual archetype: Conglomerates and Amalgamations. Conglomerates were a highly aggro archetype of Level 4s that used Level 8 (and potentially Level 12) Synchros. Amalgamations were also Level 4s and they basically stole opponent's resources for their Level 8 omni Fusions. Both archetypes prevented using the Level 4s for Xyz's.

Neither archetype really had gimmicks. Most of their effects were just generic goodstuff. I don't exactly remember how I mixed them together.

Sorry. This was pretty anticlimactic...

On the plus side, I did find the archetype concept of another character, and I kinda wanna reimagine it, so expect an actual post... Sometime! 😋

Aha!  Bet you were expecting me to forget this for another month!  Well, the joke's on you because I... well, I almost did, so...

Anyway, I actually came up with this archetype concept quite a bit later.  I hadn't really thought it through though so I had to reimagine it and make sure it received its proper limitations.  I could still be missing something very obvious though, so if you see anything, please let me know.

Without further ado, let's get right into the 10acious Archetype!

10acious Lion - "Ghimba"
FIRE ****
Beast/Effect
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can send 1 "10acious" card from your Deck to the GY.  If this card is the top card of the GY, it is treated as though it is face-up on the field in attack position, but it cannot be used as Material nor change battle positions.  If this face-up card in the GY would be sent to the GY, banish it instead.
1900/200

10acious Mare - "Philly"
WIND ****
Beast/Effect
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target a number of Spell/Traps your opponent controls up to the number of "10acious" monsters you control; return them to the hand.  If this card is the top card of the GY, it is treated as though it is face-up on the field in attack position, but it cannot be used as Material nor change battle positions.  If this face-up card in the GY would be sent to the GY, banish it instead.
1700/1600

10acious Tasmanian Archfiend - "Raz"
DARK ***
Beast/Effect
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can reveal 3 "10acious" cards in your Deck, your opponent randomly picks 1 for you to add to your hand, then you place 1 on top of your Deck and send the third to the GY.  If this card is the top card of the GY, it is treated as though it is face-up on the field in attack position, but it cannot be used as Material nor change battle positions.  If this face-up card in the GY would be sent to the GY, banish it instead.
1600/0

10acious Grizzly - "Urza"
EARTH 6*
Beast/Effect
When this card battles, at the end of the damage step, you can look at the top 3 cards of your Deck.  Send 1 of those cards to the GY, place 1 of the cards on top of your Deck, and place 1 of the cards on the bottom of your Deck.  If this card is the top card of the GY, it is treated as though it is face-up on the field in attack position, but it cannot be used as Material nor change battle positions.  If this face-up card in the GY would be sent to the GY, banish it instead.
2400/1000

10acious Apeman - "Z"
EARTH 7*
Beast/Effect
If a "10acious" monster attacks, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.  If another monster declares an attack, shuffle that monster into the Deck at the end of the damage step, and if you do, this card gains 100 ATK.  If this card is the top card of the GY, it is treated as though it is face-up on the field in attack position, but it cannot be used as Material nor change battle positions.  If this face-up card in the GY would be sent to the GY, banish it instead.
2500/1800

10acious Rampage
Spell
Send the top card from your Deck to the GY.  If it is a "10acious" monster, all monsters you control gain ATK equal to the sent monster's Level x 100.  During your Main Phase: You can banish this card and target 1 "10acious" monster you control; it gains piercing until the End Phase.

10acious Heritage
Spell
Target 1 "10acious" monster you control; Special Summon 1 "10acious" monster from your Deck or GY with the same name as that target.  If you control 1 monster with that name when this card resolves, it gains 1000 ATK.  You cannot Special Summon monsters from your Extra Deck the turn you activate this effect.  During your Main Phase: You can banish this card and target 1 "10acious" monster you control; it can declare 2 attacks on monsters this turn.  You can only activate 1 "10acious Heritage" per turn.

10acious Charge
Quick-Play Spell
Add the top card from your GY to your hand.  If the added card is a "10acious" monster, all "10acious" monsters you control gain 300 ATK.  Banish this card instead of sending it to the GY.  You can only activate 1 "10acious Charge" per turn.

10acious Tether
Quick-Play Spell
Target 1 "10acious" monster in your GY.  During the next Battle Phase, you can Special Summon that target, but its ATK is halved until the End Phase.  Banish this card instead of sending it to the GY.  You can only activate 1 "10acious Tether" per turn.

The deck is super aggro, though you can change the deck's playstyle as long as you keep your GY organized.  This came from the idea of the GY being "a second hand".  I wanted to take it a step further and ask: What if the GY was an extra field?

As the name implies, there are supposed to be 10 10acious monsters, but that's a lot to dump at once.

Character/Story Stuff

TJ's older brother, Brandon, went to public school.  The school was known to be rough and full of punks.  Brandon grew in this environment, and though he didn't like to, he became quite charismatic and good at mitigating confrontation (with strength if he had to).  With this capacity, in his junior year, he started the school's first duel club.

One of the first members of the club was a rough punk nicknamed "Ragweed".  He loved the rush of getting into scraps, but he had no direction or reason to fight.  Brandon kept trying to convince him to turn some of that external energy into dueling; eventually, after a lot of convincing, Ragweed became a duelist.

Two years later, after Brandon graduated, Ragweed became the leader of the duel club.  His "gang leader" pride has him stick up for all his fellow duel club members and his tough upbringing and raw determination don't let him back down, no matter how many duels he loses.  Despite that, everyone in the club knows he has a soft side.  He doesn't like to show it, but Ragweed does care for all the friends he's made in the club and still looks up to Brandon as "the king".

Still, if cards won't convince a person to stop messing with him, his friends, and his ideals, he's got no problem letting his fists do the talking instead.

Sidenote: Ragweed does know TJ.  Brandon showed him around the school and the duel club a few times.  Even when he was that young, TJ destroyed most of the duel club members in duels.  Ragweed nicknamed TJ "Prince".

Hmm, so I'm realizing that I've got maybe 3 more (basically no-name) characters with actual decks, a couple characters with vague deck ideas, and a whole bunch of minor to major characters without any deck at all because I was gonna write 'em later.  😅

I'm not sure how I wanna move forward for next time.  The three characters with decks are "Jester", "Bouncer", and Jeremy.  None of them had overly unique decks or anything, so unless anyone wants to see 'em, I think I'll end things here with the 10acious and maybe actually write a summary of the story in the writing section.

Archived