Which religion are you? Debate inside

Static

Which is Better?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which is Better?

• Firefox
    • Opera
    • Microsoft

I am a non-denominational Christian. Basically all that means is that I accept the basic Christian beliefs (ex: Jesus died to save us all, the Bible is truth, yada yada) but do not accept one particular branch of Christianity (ex: Catholic, Pentacostal, Baptist) to be the "right form of Christianity." My family and I agree on that if you have accepted Christ as your personal Savior and follow what's in the Bible and apply it to your life, you'll be going to heaven.

With that aside, I would like to say I do NOT push my religion on others, something that many over-zealous Christians do on a regular basis. You have your beliefs and I have mine, and I won't force you to change them.

I do also find medidtation to be a soothing expierience and mind opener.

To quote Forest Gump

"...and that's all I have to say about that."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You spelt Atheist wrong, and it means no religion, so the "No Religion " choice is useless.

I voted No Religion' date=' I do believe in higher power (aka "Gods") to an extent, but not to a point of worship.

[/quote']

That would be agnostic.

heh' date=' im a christian. Who isn`t? I don`t go to a religeon. I teach my self by reading bibles.

[/quote']

Wow, ethnocentric much?

I voted No Religion' date=' I do believe in higher power (aka "Gods") to an extent, but not to a point of worship.

[/quote']

That would be agnostic.

I disagree, simply believing in such a thing to the incredibly limited extent of which I do, which happens to be rarely thinking of it, in my opinion does not class me as Agnostic.

[/quote']

That would be agnostic.

I disagree, simply believing in such a thing to the incredibly limited extent of which I do, which happens to be rarely thinking of it, in my opinion does not class me as Agnostic.

whats agnostic

[/quote']

That would be agnostic.

The way you stated it, that you believe in a higher power, but not a specific god? That's what agnostic is...

• Administrators
Which religion is the fastest way to inner peace?

LOL

BTW, you missed a TON of religions that deserve more than just "other".

To all you Christians: I suggest you take a closer look at the bible. You can find some interesting passages here:

http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/nbwposath.htm

I would like to say I do NOT push my religion on others,

Nice!! Too bad 99% percent of your Christian brethren don't follow your example.

You spelt Atheist wrong, and it means no religion, so the "No Religion " choice is useless.

No it does not. Athiest (spg?) means that you DO NOT believe in a higher power or god, it has nothing to do with wether you follow a religion. Metaphorically, there could be a Athiest cult, I for one am an Athiest jew (Jaytheist). I play along with the holidays (dont believe a word of em), but Don't believe in god. ( I guess that makes me Athiest, but whatever)

I would like to say I do NOT push my religion on others' date='[/quote']

Nice!! Too bad 99% percent of your Christian brethren don't follow your example.

I don't want to push my religion onto others. I'm very tolerent when it comes to religion. The only thing I can't tolerate is extremists(sp?)

To all you Christians: I suggest you take a closer look at the bible. You can find some interesting passages here:

http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/nbwposath.htm

The only thing I have to say about that is two things.

1. Many parts of the original Bible were removed for a reason. Many of those that this site posts are such verses. They are removed because either they were unimportant events, or were too graphic for the general public to view, mainly for the fact that it would get in the way of the religious message. This is not to say that there are not immoral things in the Bible. Those that are in the Bible are there, which are mainly in the Old Testament, remain because they directly affect the course of Chirstian history. If you are unfamilliar with the Bible, think of the Old Testament as more of a history book, and the New Testament as a spiritual guidebook.

2. Many such verses like these have been taken out of context, especially in the New Testament. Many of these..acts were used as a literal interpretaion of something spirtual. For example, in Luke 14:26, it says that if any person does not hate his entire family, he cannot be Christ's disciple. This is not to be taken literally. It has an inner meaning. Truthfully, it means that if you are not willing to give up anything and everything that you own, you are not ready to follow God's calling.

I'm sorry if I offended or bored anyone with this, but it was something I felt I should put up. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll answer them the best I can.

If you really feel that there's no reasoning with me, Falling Pizza, then go ahead. If you have a comment or question that isn't a direct insult to me or Chirstianity, then please go ahead and say it. I only put the above post in defense of my faith, which you can easily do for yourself, and is my right just as it is yours. If you have a productive debate, I am intrigued to hear it.

If you have a productive debate' date=' I am intrigued to hear it.

[/quote']

As am I. I did make this thread to start a debate.

Reasons I disagree with Christianity and it's Ethics:

1. The afterlife:

Theres no factual proof that it exists. The main reason I have a problem with this belief (in heaven and hell) is because of the Christian idea that god can/will judge. The idea that a Greater being in HUMAN likeness is a disposable theory created by, guess what? Humans! The idea that Humans are superior to other objects and that deities are in our likeness is so obsurd due to the fact that there are other living things that have lived before us, live now, and will live when the human race goes extinct.

2. Evolution:

In this sect, there is much proof along the debate of science. Igneious (volanic rock), Fossil and Ice records prove that the earth is at least 4.8 Billion years old and that life existed before human written history began. If this is true, then how can a God Judge the same way that a being that has only been around for 27,000 years does, when it is believed that it has existed since the beginning of time? (and perhaps before to some. IDK??)

My theory:

The way I see it. People wanted a way to control the population, leading to the creation of the ten commandments and Hamurabbi's code (one of the most Foolhearty pieces of mishap ever written). Then years passed, and along came Jesus Christ. nothing special about him, he just went to India/Tibet, (PROOF: he returned to Israel in KASHMIR robes) and probably agreed with many Buddhist philosophies. Then he returned to the Middleeastern area and ended up Crucified (by ROMANS, not Jews) for preaching beliefs different than the Roman ones. 300 Years later, Constantine, one of the filtheist men ever to live, Wrote (or rewrote) the bible so that he could excuse his actions and keep his people in fear. (and kill 5 million women)

And today, the bible is taken far too literally by its followers.

Debate :)

You have some very valid points Static. Allow me to say this as a rebuttle.

The Afterlife

True, there is no factual proof that it exsists. However, there is no factual proof that it doesn't exsist either. Your wording in this area is a tad confusing, but let me clarify to you that God made us based on his image. Orginally, we were to be, basically, little versions of Christ, which is what Christian means: "little Christ". Unfortunately, thanks to Adam and Eve, that was ruined and we were forced to live here on Earth without that direct relationship with God. There are many details to this issue, but either I don't understand them fully or they'd take to long to wite down. There is one last thing I want to do with this issue. The belief of an afterlife is based on faith, no matter what the description of that afterlife or lack of it may be.

Evolution

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but it has never been proven that our planet is that old. It's a guess. Not a fact. In fact, it seems very unlikely, at least to me anyway. Let me give you this little scienfic tidbit: As we all know, the Grand Canyon is a natural landmark, formed by erosion from the river that flows through it. It is also true that such a canyon would take a very long time to form. However, based on the fact that the river at one time in the past was much larger than it is now, after several million years of erosion, the Grand Canyon would be much, much deeper, than it is now. And take this famous riddle: If we evolved from monkeys, then how come there are still monkeys?? Here is what I've concluded to. Evolution and Creation have some very large holes that they need to fill, and probably will never be totally filled due to lack of evidence. Once again, it's based off faith in whichever one you believe to make sense, which, as long as you think there are spiritual forces, they both do.

Your theroy does make some sense, however there are some problems with. First off, Hamurabbi and his code have nothing to do with the Ten Commandments, therefore it gains you very little, if any ground. Second, it is stated nowhere in history that Jesus went to India or Tibet. Kashmir was actually a common trade item during this time period. You are right on one point. He was killed for the fact he believed and taught something that the Roman leaders, as well as the Jewish Pharisees, did not want the public to be a part of. Once again, however, it hasn't been proven that Constantine ever rewrote or wrote the Bible, and if so, it would only seem that he wrote very little of it. Most of the Bible is either a history book, deep inspirational letters, or philosophy.

This is a very good debate. I'm actually quite enjoying it. You've posed some very good questions.

http://www.mala.bc.ca/~johnstoi/essays/courtenay1.htm

I enjoyed reading that ^^

Also, I believe in evolution as well as a higher power.

Although I'm not entirely sure about religion in general.

I don't know if Jesus had special powers, but it doesn't really matter, he taught a lot of good things, and those teachings are good enough for me. Although, admittedly, I ignore some of the ones I don't like.

First off, Hamurabbi and his code have nothing to do with the Ten Commandments, therefore it gains you very little, if any ground.

That had nothing to do with my point. It was meant to be an example of a different set of rules, comparing the ten commandmants (which some believe to be written by god and others (myself included) believe to be manwritten) to a Known Man written set of laws. The reasoning behind the statement was to show that other sets of "true law" were made at the time, different reigion, but unless for faith, theres no reason to believe that the ten commandments were written by god.

Thanks for not anywhere saying "god will damn you for disagreeing with me, and something rather about molten steel in a dungeon of lava for sin" or something ridiculous.

Archived