2 members have voted

1. 1. Next Archetype?

• Flamvell
    • Iron Chain
    • Mist Valley
    • Other (Comment the archetype)
    • I don't care, but I felt like pressing a button

Hello, fine peoples!

Decided I wanted to continue this 1 Pendulum, 1 Link support challenge thing I started here.  This time, I went with Cloudians.

Without any more preamble, here are the cards:

Cloudian Stratoman
WATER ****
Scale: 2<>2
Fairy/Pendulum/Effect
PE: When a monster(s) with a Fog Counter(s) leaves the field, place all the Fog Counters on this card or 1 face-up monster your opponent controls. "Cloudian" monsters you control gain 100 ATK for each Fog Counter on this card.  You can Normal Summon 1 "Cloudian" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set.  You can only gain this effect once per turn.
ME: Cannot be destroyed by battle.  If this card is in face-up Defense Position, destroy it.  When you Normal Summon this card, place 1 Fog Counter on it for each "Cloudian" monster on the field.  You can remove 2 Fog Counters from anywhere on the field; add 1 "Cloudian" monster from your Deck to your hand.
600/0

Cloudian Cumulos
WATER Links: S E
Fairy/Link/Effect
2 WATER monsters
Cannot be destroyed by battle.  If this card is Link Summoned: You can add 1 "Cloudian Squall" from your Deck or GY to your hand.  Negate the effects of monsters with Fog Counters except "Cloudian" monsters.  If this card is in your GY (Quick Effect): You can Tribute 1 "Cloudian" monster; Special Summon this card.  You can only use each effect of "Cloudian Cumulos" once per turn.
1000/LINK 2

Not much to say about these.  Stratoman gives the deck a way to hold onto counters and increases the deck's speed through both searching and an extra Normal Summon.  Cumulos cripples other decks by turning opponent's monsters into glorified Normal monsters once Cloudian Squall gets going.  Once the monsters' effects are negated, all they can do is attack (and Cloudians have the battle phase pretty covered).

Thanks for checking these out!  As always, CnC is much appreciated.  Cheers!

I don't have any interesting comments about these two jewels, except that they seems perfectly balanced and well made. Incidentally, seeing a Pendulum made me remember of a thread I saw once about how the Cloudians are supposed to be the weakest of the weak archetypes, and only the manliest of the manliest men with a lot of hair on chest could use it xD. But preferably, with Pendulums.

Can you make Ice Barrier support next. It's pretty hard to do it in a balanced way. Since they're so bad, it often requires very strong support to make 'em viable, but I've got confidence you can do it 🙂 

Looks like solid support to me. I can't say it's off-theme because Koomy alao gives archetypes the odd Pendulum or Link support so you are fine from that standpoint. The effects are sweet too. Extra NSs and search support is what IMO they need the most, and both are provided by the Pendulum. My only nitpick is that the search is not fast enough, but perhaps it's for the best because with just a little push the archetype can get stupid good through Turbulence and Smoke Ball spam.

Meanwhile the Link is a nice icing on cake. A self-revivable Skill Drain of sorts, damn good. Grabbing Squall doesn't sound that good though, since Squall itself is slow. If it could grab any Spell/Trap with "Cloudian" in its card text, it would be a step better.

On the other hand, the support on Squall made me think they would greatly appreciate a hand trap monster that SS itself from hand and activates Squall from Deck. That way you would be able to use both as soon as your first Standby Phase. But that would have to be a 3rd support card.

5 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

I don't have any interesting comments about these two jewels, except that they seems perfectly balanced and well made. Incidentally, seeing a Pendulum made me remember of a thread I saw once about how the Cloudians are supposed to be the weakest of the weak archetypes, and only the manliest of the manliest men with a lot of hair on chest could use it xD. But preferably, with Pendulums.

Can you make Ice Barrier support next. It's pretty hard to do it in a balanced way. Since they're so bad, it often requires very strong support to make 'em viable, but I've got confidence you can do it 🙂 

You underestimate Ice Barriers. Check out builds with the Level4s and Prior. Prior is spammy and the drawback doesn't affect your Xyz and now Link plays, so it can lead to boards with Link4s like Bahamut Shark, and Link2s like Toadally (Prior is a Level 2 Aqua, bte). Not to mention Prior is retrievable by Salvage so 1 Salvage can translate to 1 Xyz with some GY setup. It was nerfed in MR4 but with MR5 they theoretically got good again. They may not be top tier and lose to hand traps, but making boards with 2~3 Xyzs including Bahamut Shark is no joke either. If there is support they would want, IMO it is floaty power to preserve resources, and some Xyzs with "Ice Barrier" in their names just so Prior can SS itself. Something like a Miracle Fusion for a Synchro Summon would be welcomed too, to stay in the Synchro Summon theme and surprise Trishulas.

Archived