[PHRA] The Souten Style

For fans of Martial Arts themes

Note: Souten is something like “Twin Heavens” but since it’s a form of martial arts, we’re leaving it in Japanese.

Souten.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

PHRA-JP014 Soutenken no Yuubi / Yuubi of the Souten Fists
Level 4 LIGHT Warrior Effect Monster
ATK 1800
DEF 1000

You can only use this card name’s (1) and (2) effects once per turn each.
(1) You can target 1 “Souten” monster you control; destroy it, and if you do, add 1 “Souten” Spell from your Deck to your hand.
(2) If a face-up “Souten” Fusion Monster(s) you control that was Fusion Summoned by using an Effect Monster(s) is destroyed by battle or your opponent’s card effect, and this card is in your GY: You can add this card to your hand.

Note: 熊羆 means Bear but it can also refer to someone valiant.

Souten-3.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

PHRA-JP015 Soutenkyaku no Koukoku / Koukoku of the Souten Kicks
Level 3 LIGHT Warrior Effect Monster
ATK 800
DEF 2000

You can only use this card name’s (1) and (2) effects once per turn each.
(1) If a face-up “Souten” monster you control, except “Koukoku of the Souten Kicks”, is destroyed by battle or card effect during your opponent’s turn: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, then, apply this effect.
• Destroy 1 “Souten” monster you control, and if you do, Special Summon 1 “Souten” Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck.
(2) If this card is Normal/Special Summoned: You can add 1 “Souten” Trap from your Deck to your hand.

Note: 鴻鵠 means Swan but it can also refer to someone with great aspirations.

RedFist.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

PHRA-JP032 Soutenken Gaia / Gaia of the Souten Fists
Level 6 LIGHT Warrior Fusion Effect Monster
ATK 2100
DEF 1500

Materials: 2 “Souten” monsters
You can only use this card name’s (1) effect once per turn.
(1) If this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 Attack Position monster your opponent controls; destroy it, also this card cannot attack directly for the rest of this turn.
(2) While you control a “Souten” Fusion Monster that was Fusion Summoned using an Effect Monster(s) as material, “Souten” Fusion Monsters you control gain 300 ATK/DEF.

BlueFist.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

PHRA-JP033 Soutenkyaku Gaiun / Gaiun of the Souten Kicks
Level 5 LIGHT Warrior Fusion Effect Monster
ATK 1700
DEF 2100

Materials: 2 “Souten” monsters
You can only use this card name’s (2) effect once per turn.
(1) If a “Souten” Fusion Monster you control would be destroyed by a card effect, you can destroy 1 other “Souten” monster you control instead.
(2) During the Main Phase, if you control a “Souten” Fusion Monster that was Fusion Summoned using an Effect Monster(s) as material (Quick Effect): You can target 1 face-up monster that was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck; negate its effects until the end of this turn.

GoldFistKick.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

Soutenshou Kongou / Kongou, Heavenly General of the Souten
Level 8 LIGHT Warrior Fusion Effect Monster
ATK 3000
DEF 1700

Materials: “Yuubi of the Souten Fists” + 2 “Souten” monsters
You can only use this card name’s (3) effect once per turn.
(1) If this card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.
(2) At the end of the damage calculation that this card attacked: You can return 1 monster your opponent controls to the hand.
(3) When a Spell/Trap card or effect that targets this card on the field is activated and you control 2 or more Fusion Monsters (Quick Effect): You can negate its activation.

Note: His name is reference to more Chinese/Buddhism stuff, but basically’s Yuubi ascended to the mastery of the Souten style.

Note: Kongou (金剛) can mean Diamond, Thunderbolt, or Vajra (an unbreakable substance in Hinduism/Buddhism), but it’s also a Buddhist symbol of an indestructible truth.

Souten-Spell-1.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=

PHRA-JP057 Souten Shourai / Souten Calling
Spell Normal

You can only activate 1 card with this card’s name per turn.
(1) Discard 1 card, and if you do, Special Summon as many “Souten Spirit Tokens” (Warrior/LIGHT/Level 2/ATK 0/DEF 0) as possible to your field, also for the rest of this turn, you cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck, except Fusion Monsters, you cannot Tribute Tokens you control, and all Tokens you control are destroyed during the End Phase. Then, you can apply this effect up to 2 times.
• Fusion Summon 1 “Souten” Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters you control or have in your hand as materials.

Souten-Spell-2.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=

PHRA-JP058 Aun no Kokyuu / Two as One
Field Spell Card

You can only use this card name’s (2) effect once per turn.
(1) When this card is activated: You can add 1 “Souten” monster from your Deck to your hand.
(2) If you control a “Souten” Effect Monster: You can Special Summon 1 “Souten Spirit Token” (Warrior/LIGHT/Level 2/ATK 0/DEF 0), also you cannot Special Summon monsters from your Extra Deck for the rest of this turn, except Fusion Monsters.

Note: 阿吽 is more Buddhism references (look up Om/Aun), for western folks it would be comparable to Alpha and Omega, making the Red and Blue Fusions something like “Armor Alpha” and “Armor Omega”.

Souten-Spell-3.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=

PHRA-JP059 Souten no Choubuku / Souten Exorcism
Quick-Play Spell Card

(1) Target 1 “Souten” monster you control and 1 card your opponent controls; destroy them, then, if you destroyed a “Souten” Fusion Monster you controlled, you can apply 1 of these effects.
• Draw 1 card.
• Banish 1 card from your opponent’s GY.

Note: The name’s apparently a fair bit of Buddhism references so we kinda simplified the meaning to make it easier to understand.

Souten-Trap-1.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

PHRA-JP073 Souten no Sairai / Souten Returns
Normal Trap Card

(1) Target 1 “Souten” monster in your GY; Special Summon it, then, if you Special Summoned a monster with an original Level of 4 or less, you can Special Summon 1 “Souten Spirit Token” (Warrior/LIGHT/Level 2/ATK 0/DEF 0).

Souten-Trap-2.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

PHRA-JP074 Souten no Shimei / Souten’s Duty
Normal Trap Card

(1) During the Main Phase: Banish 1 “Souten” Spell/Trap from your GY, except “Souten’s Duty”; this card’s effect becomes that card’s effect when it activates.

Source:

https://ygorganization.com/soyouwantmoreryozanpakudecksforyourarcvfanfics/

Ok, random leap here, but I'm wondering if (lore-wise) these guys are going to combat the Hakai/Unchained monsters, or if these are going to somehow relate to the Tenyi cards.  I'd like to think the former since these are much more closely tied to destruction, but I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of anime-esque Tournament Arc card with the Souten vs the Tenyi. 😄

As cards, these are quite unique.  I'm not entirely sure what to think about 'em yet, but just from my gut, these don't feel complete.  The boss is pretty sub-par, and the deck needs Calling in order to get plays going at all.  At the same time, getting 2 Fusions off 1 card is solid, and you could combo the tokens with the Tenyi field spell for easy draws.  A bit less relevant now, but the Kick Fusion can be summoned off Instant Fusion and you can protect it from self-destruction with its own effect.

All that said, I do wanna reserve judgment on 'em for now.  Maybe I'm missing some really cool interaction with these.

Jeez, what is it with this set and its correlations with NECH? (Yes I am committing to this bit)
Both sets introduced a new fusion theme and the highest rarity fusion among them required at least 1 named material

On a serious note, I certainly got Tenyi-vibes from these guys but by that same token (not intentional I swear), these guys have potential, at some point down the line.
On another note, we finally get a card that can do more than 1 fusion summon, but the concept of doing that existed WAY back in the GX anime.

this reminds me of the arc-V fusion series, the combat stars, but with lower levels. i think the two decks might have some decent synergy if they combine.

as for their lore, there is a decent chance they could link tenyi and unchained together somehow, they all share similar art styles and have close enough themes

Archived