Ultra Athletes in Phantom Rage [PHRA-JP]

the real MVP

PHRA-JP018.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1
PHRA-JP018
Ultra Athlete Libero Spiker / U.A. Libero Spiker
Level 4 EARTH Warrior Effect Monster
ATK 1800
DEF 1800

You can Special Summon using the procedure written in the 1)st effect with this card’s name only once per turn.
You can use the (2)nd effect with this card’s name only once per turn.
(1) You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 “U.A.” monster you control to the hand, except “U.A. Libero Spiker”.
(2) During your opponent’s Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can shuffle 1 Level 5 or higher “U.A.” monster from your hand into the Deck, and if you do, Special Summon 1 “U.A.” monster with a different name from that monster from your Deck, then, return this card from the field to your hand.

PHRA-JP019.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1
PHRA-JP019
Ultra Athlete Playing Manager / U.A. Playing Manager
Level 8 EARTH Warrior Effect Monster
ATK 2000
DEF 2600

You can use each effect among the (1)st and (2)nd effects with this card’s name only once per turn.
(1) If you Normal or Special Summon a “U.A.” monster(s): You can Special Summon this card from your hand.
(2) If this card is Special Summoned: You can activate 1 of these effects;
– Target 1 card on the field; destroy it.
– Negate the effects of all face-up monsters on the field, except “U.A.” monsters.

PHRA-JP061.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1
PHRA-JP061
Ultra Athlete Hyper Stadium / U.A. Hyper Stadium
Field Spell

(This card is also always treated as an “F.A.” card.)
You can only activate 1 card with this card’s name per turn.
(1) When this card resolves, you can add to your hand 1 “U.A.” monster from your Deck, 1 “F.A.” monster from your Deck, or 1 “U.A. Stadium” from your GY.
(2) You can reveal 1 Field Spell in your hand and pay 1000 LP; during your Main Phase this turn, you can Normal Summon 1 “U.A.” or “F.A.” monster face-up, in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)

PHRA-JP062.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1
PHRA-JP062
U.A. Locker Room
Quick-Play Spell

This card is also always treated as an “F.A.” card.
You can only activate 1 of this card’s name oncer per turn.
1) Target 1 “U.A.” or “F.A.” monster on your field or in your GY; Return it to the hand, and if you do, gain 500 LP, then you can apply the following effect.
– Reveal any number of “U.A.” and/or “F.A.” monsters in your hand to your opponent, and if you do, shuffle those revealed cards into the Deck, then draw cards equal to the number returned to the Deck.

PHRA-JP076-1.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1
Ultra Athlete Man of the Match / U.A. MVP
Normal Trap

(This card is also always treated as an “F.A.” card.)
You can only activate 1 card with this card’s name per turn.
(1) If a “U.A.” or “F.A.” monster you control destroys an opponent’s monster by battle or inflicts battle damage to your opponent, after damage calculation: You can Special Summon any number of “U.A.” and/or “F.A.” monsters with different names from your hand and/or GY in Defense Position.

Source:

https://ygorganization.com/awinnerisyou/

I love the theme of this pack.  Combining archetypes that are thematically appropriate, even if their play styles don't necessarily match.

As for these cards specifically, U.A. finally got its other low level and the new Stadium is a RotA, so they've got enough consistency to finally work.  Playing Manager is thematically hilarious.  "You guys can't get things done?  Fine, I'll do it myself!"  It also solidifies plays and combos super well with Spiker to shut down the opponent's turn.  That's about the best support one could expect.

Haven't played F.A. since Ancient Fairy Dragon got banned, so I'm not 100% sure how much this supports them specifically.  You get a search and you'd likely get the extra Normal Summon effect off of Hyper Stadium, but I can't tell how much that helps the deck.

30 minutes ago, Tythe Scora said:

I love the theme of this pack.  Combining archetypes that are thematically appropriate, even if their play styles don't necessarily match.

What I find amusing about these is that we have another correlation with this set and NECH;
Yesterday PHRA's cover card was revealed; ARXD, the pack colour is yellow, and in the TCG it will be the last core set this year.
 - NECH was a yellow pack, the cover card was DRXD and was our last core set in 2014
Today we get U.A. support in PHRA and U.A.s also got support in NECH

14 hours ago, Tythe Scora said:

Haven't played F.A. since Ancient Fairy Dragon got banned, so I'm not 100% sure how much this supports them specifically.  You get a search and you'd likely get the extra Normal Summon effect off of Hyper Stadium, but I can't tell how much that helps the deck.

tremendously. they have a lot of field spells, but this one searches for them, and let's them get more field presence. on top of that, this is treated as an F.A. so it still gives them their level buffs, meaning it's just a really solid card to buff their abysmal consistency.

Honestly, it does leagues more for U'A. than F.A., but that's more because one was literally only missing a level 4 monster to be at least playable, and the other relies on a gimmick that requires several additional investments. still, it's solid stuff all around.

Archived