PS5 Discussion Thread

November 20 is the guessed release date. For context: The PS4 hit shelves on November 15, 2013. According to a recent leak, the exact PS5 launch date might be November 20. A prolific source on Twitter claimed that the DualSense controller, by itself, was slated to come out on November 20, and cost $60. Analyst predictions have placed the PS5 price in the region of $499 / £449 / AU$749, which would make sense given a generational leap as significant as Sony is currently touting.

Discuss the PS5

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm considering holding off in case a PS5 Slim might come up later down the line. I get that the PS5 has practical reasons to be gigantic, but it's more than a little unwieldy for my liking, and I seriously doubt it would fit comfortably with my TV.

I think Microsoft is doing well to distinguish the Series X and Series X, but for some reason, I just can't get behind the idea of the All-Digital PS5. I get that a lot of people prefer digital media, but I would rather that they kept physical media on the table. Though I'm a little bitter that the PS5's backwards compatibility doesn't come close to Microsoft's ambitions for Xbox, especially with the PlayStation Store downplaying PS3, PSP, and Vita games. I get it, those are older games and you want the market to focus on your newer consoles, but it comes across as acting like those old systems simply don't exist.

I'll probably get a PS5 eventually, but I hope the All-Digital version ends up as nothing more than a one-off experiment that won't persist throughout the next generation.

PS4 Players Warned Not To Insert PS5 Game Discs Into Their Consoles

Warning to all PlayStation players: it is unwise to put a PlayStation 5 disc into a PlayStation 4, as there is a good chance it will get stuck. 

An experiment to see if a PlayStaion 5 game disc could be read by PlayStation 4 has not ended well. As a result, gamers with both systems are being warned not to try this at home as it will likely end in the same way or potentially worse.

The backwards compatibility capabilities of the PlayStation 5 have been a major selling point for Sony's newest console. Many older PlayStation 4 games are playable on the next-gen console with some receiving load time and graphical improvements thanks to the better hardware. However, all the talk of backwards compatibility has created a little confusion when it comes to newer games that will be released on both console generations. On the surface, a PS4 version of a new release like Assassin's Creed: Valhalla is the same as a PS5 version, but that is not the case from a technical perspective. TLDR: Don't do it. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Thar said:

Can't wait until the next 10 second window to buy one during the next restock

Sony could really do better with that issue.

Don't they want our money? The better they can supply the consumer with PS5s the more money they make, feels like a win-win sort of thing but no let's just make it a complicated mess Sony

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived