Finally, set rotation in Yu-Gi-Oh!?

X amount of time, new sets of cards are released and added to game. Once and while when the new set releases, the older sets will just rotate out.

Set rotation would solve power creep and get the game developers to be more creative. 

Ban list/limited will get a complete overhaul that it desperately needs.

Reprints will keep beloved cards like blues white dragon and dark magician in rotation.

What do you think about introducing set rotation into Yu-Gi-Oh!?

It already has a virtual rotation. The Banned List changes drastically twice a year. What would set rotation provide? There is no Core Set where a lot of cards have importance in the game from metagame to metagame, many being staples. I think it is a rather obscure manner to look at Yu-Gi-Oh with a set rotation, since part it isn't exactly power creep that draws the game to more linearity. Sure, attribute Trap Cards being irrelevant to power creep. It wouldn't really be solved with set rotation, though. Power creep is defined by the card and set development/creation process, not within the point of the metagame. It is a common effect to keep the game interesting because of creative stifling.

I think a major point of argument is that you're looking at it only through set rotation and not the metrics on why games like MtG and Pokemon work with set rotation while Yu-Gi-Oh! solves the virtual rotation; The game is persistent as a form of narrative parallel to the actual anime, that they work to sell each other while existing for different purposes. Rotation could conflict with that as it tries to attempt a universal standard for formats that rigorously project into new stories over each new set, instead of trying to create a linearity of printings.

I think that the Banned List needs be more progressive there is going to be any point of change within the game. That is the space that maintains the metagame and should be reworked to correspond to a changing game, as it sets the limits for the creative role in playerbase.

I've actually flipped back and forth about the idea throughout the years, considering benefits and likelihood of things improving.
My current stance is that I don't have very much faith on its benefits if it ended up introduced. If we take some of the precedents...

Pokemon is one of the harsh advocates of Set Rotation. It reprints some Trainer cards like "Switch" so they can remain in the game, but for the most part any actual Pokemon is permanently illegal after 2 years, and there are no alternatives like older or extended formats even among fan-made territory (other than gen 1 set at least). Everything essentially becomes trash after some time.  Also, this doesn't stop power-creep and I'd say Pokemon has had it pretty bad since gen 5 of the card game. During Unova days stage 3 pokemon with 120 HP went from "ace/boss of the deck" to "if it has just 120 I can 1 hit KO it in some way". 
Gen 4 had these "prime" versions of some last evolutions that were just a bit better than the non-prime ones but otherwise had to go through the same everything to get there. Then I started noticing more of the EX that could even be last stage mons but treated as "basic" and with cheap moves for their energy cost, and in exchange for double prizes when knocked out, which in a format where EX becomes the norm, it means your games are x2 as fast to end.
Then the game broke the 200 HP stat mark, and now iirc the top HP is like 340, with "tag team" mons that give 3 prizes upon nockout so you kill 2 off those? you win. A bit of a bad direction.

Pokemon is offset a bit by the fact the cards are mostly not very expensive, and the events have actual prize support, but if we talk about in-game balance? errr.... not my favorite model.

Then there's MTG, which has a bunch of format from what I hear. It has the "2 years" I think there's a 4 and/or a 10 year range on another format, then the "commander decks", the "highlander decks", the "play a specific era of the game past" or "play anything in the game so long as you respect this banlist" OR "play everything ever, and 1 copy of any banned card". I don't think they REALLY support all of these, but they do allow more than 1 which is something, and they have powercreep regardless, which is weird because they do have certain card effects from waaaaay back setup as examples of what power level to not ever reach again with new creations.

- - - - - - -

Really the lack of rotation is IMO part of the strong points of Yugioh. If some samples of rotation will STILL do power-creep and aim for newer product being better, might as well allow older cards for the sake of casual joy and collection value. If old cards start seeing some play again they usually reprint them like they did with that "Spell Chronicle" card, on a weird whim.....

Set rotations is actually one of the potential reasons some lesser card games die off (granted that tends to be because they decide to implement it when their game is like 1 year old).

Another thing to balance out is that people do end up finding some things stale and moving on from them, so we can't entirely dodge power-creep in favor of ideally spreading out unexplored options. I'm one of the players that would love it if they did, but I understand not all the community would be into it. When things in games tend to remain similar, sure people don't complain of the power-creep, but I've found some random old players will be like "huh, I haven't played in 10 years, I wonder if I can still go back to kick some ass". Then they get back to it for a very short amount of time before moving on again, almost like just revisiting the past. Generating interest is sometimes complicated.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived