YU-GI-OH golden age  

9 members have voted

1. 1. When did YU-GI-OH peak

• Fusion/Ritual
    • Synchro
    • XYZ
    • Pendulum
    • Link

It went massively up near the end of ZeXal, when they finally started supporting old mechanics like Synchros, however it was not before Arc V that they started supporting all mechanics almost equally (admittedly Arc V undersupported Pendulums and Rituals for most of its duration, however with Magicians, Qliphort and Nekroz there were Tier 1 and above archtypes for those mechanics as well).

Furthermore Arc V started adding a lot of support (including but not limited to the new archtypes) ensuring that games would not regularly end on topdeck wars in an unenjoyable gindgame.

Vrains later added another support mechanic in Links, which is a lot more generic than Pendulums were.

I would honestly argue that the game got better and better as time progressed, if you ignore boring 15-30 minute turn 1 combos, which got progressively worse and worse as the game progressed (honestly here I would like a mechanic to limit how much you can do in one turn, e.g. a flat limit on the number of Summons you can conduct per turn etc), however in terms of pure diversity the game amazing, given how many viable archtypes we currently have.

• 4 weeks later...

No love for Synchros eh... not too surprised to be honest. I have a lot of friends who gave up on the game when synchro monsters came out; synchro monsters were very controversial when they came out and I think a lot of players outside of my friend circle may have given up on the game at the point too. I have no data to support my speculation though.

for me there's no such thing

each era has things i like and the things i don't fond of. and to listing it require extensive time

but if i may add, despite its differences Yugioh do get better in each format in some ways. while powercreep and messing up some stuff still prevalent but they can get things done creatively when they want to

• 3 weeks later...

As the game evolved over the years, I did enjoy the addition of Synchro and XYZ. They made sense to me in that they weren't anymore complex than Fusion or Ritual, but once Pendulum came around I stopped playing the "current version". In my head, they stopped at XYZ and that is how I will treat the game until the end of time 😁

Archived