What is your religion?

Horu

I have made it a goal to remain open minded and accept people from all walks of life. But to truly appreciate somebody, you must also be able to appreciate and respect their faith. So this thread is not about who has the best religion. But simply a way for us to simply discuss the positive aspects of our religions.

Personally, I was raised Baptist and converted to Catholicism. Although, I don't attend church because I want to become a better person through my own efforts and learn as much as I possibly can. Remember, this thread is not for the purpose of criticism or conversion. This is simply an effort to discuss the positive aspects of our faith. On that note, all belief systems are welcome to the discussion.

Heh.  Religious belief is one of the very few things that I will willingly share about my personal self in public online.

I am non-denominationalist Christian.

I do believe in God as depicted in the Bible.  I take the Bible literally in as many places as applicable, metaphorically and symbolically on things that are obviously turn of phrase or symbolism.  Using the Bible to justify flat earth and geocentric conspiracies annoys me to no end.

Of course, there comes the harsher, more critical moments in the Bible which... I do believe as well.  Heaven and hell, a good God allowing war, famine, and disease, a good God demanding genocide in the Old Testament, etc.  These aren't happy things, but they are true things (insofar as I believe them).  While I can argue and justify my beliefs in different ways, doing so misses the very simple point of Christianity.

Humanity is evil and we cannot "become good" on our own.  God sent His Son to save us from destruction (that comes from being evil).  All we need to do is accept and believe that He saved us and we will be seen as perfect in God's eyes: nothing more.

Yes, I will still mess up.  My evil will be inherent in myself until I slough off this mortal coil, but if I truly accept being saved, God's spirit will change me into a more perfect version of me, little by little.

And you, sir, have just explained why I chose to learn from folks of many different religions. God wouldn't put holy scriptures if he didn't want us to learn them. This is why I feel it is necessary to go through life and have many teachers. The bible gives a solid foundation on which to build. But it is important to continue building.

Archived