Spiritual Temple of the Ice Barrier

Rayfield Lumina

1466924171_SpiritualTempleoftheIceBarrierF.thumb.png.5392e73422440f430ace47dfe601e872.png

Spiritual Temple of the Ice Barrier

Field Spell

When this card is activated: You can target 1 of your "Ice Barrier" monsters that was sent to the GY or was banished by the effect of an “Ice Barrier” card this turn and hasn't changed place since; Special Summon it. You can place a number of cards in your hand on the bottom of your Deck in any order up to the number of "Ice Barrier" monsters you control, and if you do, draw that same number of cards +1. You can banish 1 "Ice Barrier" card from your GY, then target 1 monster you control; apply 1 of the following effects depending on if the target is Tuner or non-Tuner.
⚪ Tuner: Increase or decrease the target's Level by 1.
⚪ Non-Tuner: The target becomes Tuner until the end of this turn.
You can only use each effect of "Spiritual Temple of the Ice Barrier" once per turn.

❄️ So, this card tries to aid the archetype in many aspects. I decided to make this in spite of the recently released cards because I'm not too convinced about 'em, though 4 or so definitely help. So, for starters, the Field is not your typical lame +300 ATK/DEF or something, unfortunately lol, but it supports right away at activation with a Summoning that is easily fuelled by the effect of cards such as Gungnir, Brionac, Prior, Hexa Spirit, Zuijin, Speaker. By the way, I used a bit of a funny grammar in this effect, but I think is quite precise, as it mentions a card "not changing place". This is something rather uncommon, but you can see something similar in "Necrovalley". The effect just wants to make sure the card than was sent to the GY or was banished is still in the same place.I decided to be conservative with the second effect, making the shuffle go before the drawing. I think that way the effect is not as powerful as you don't have that many resources in the first place to accommodate your hand so freely, but I'm open to change this if people more experienced thinks it can be adjusted. Finally, what I consider the most controverted effect in the card, as it can turn non-Tuners a Tuner for a turn, this for the cost of 2 banishments (which funnily enough could be Summoned by this card if it is returned to the hand by Dewloren) OR adjust a Tuner's Level, which can lead to greater flexibility for Synchro Summoning and even more access to Rank 4 Xyzs in the unlikely case you're running Defender/Geomancer of the IB, or a Rank 3 like Leviair that will salivate at this card's effect 3 cost.

Critiques and Comment welcome as usual n.n

The card's concept is a welcomed one but I have a couple notes that could make it a little more potent, and I think it does kinda need it.
-I think the hand-refreshing effect being "shuffle first, draw after" is not ideal. I'd rather opt for first returning the unwanted cards to the bottom and then drawing from the top to ensure a bigger chance of reducing randomness screwing you with more copies of what you just returned.
-I think I've seen other ways to approach the target in GY must not move for this to work", like, when you say something like target 1 card in your GY that was sent there from the field for example is a sort of effect that assumes the card has remained that way without the awkward wording.... I know this isn't the same kind of effect being resolved here but the principle is about the same.
-I think banishing 2 Ice Barriers is kind of a big cost for this. I like the +/- 1 Level change or the shift from tuner/non-tuner, they are useful, but Ice Barriers aren't exactly able to turbo their deck into the GY and most of their new monsters banish themselves from the GY already. That combined with how we got Salvage, Surface, Prior of the Ice Barrier, Freezing Chains of the Ice Barrier, Winds of the Ice Barrier, and General Gantala of the Ice Barrier, all grabbing the remaining monsters from the GY and putting them into your hand/field.... it becomes a very valuable resource to not deplete them too badly. That's plus the disruption they'd get from opponent plays (Called by the Grave, D.D. Crow, Dark Law, or themed stuff like Shaddoll Ariel) crippling things further, we end up with a non-advantage-generating play that is great for helping you toolbox through the extra deck but whose cost might be a bit tall. Your field is the only on-theme way to retrieve banished members and is a hard OPT that only works when it enters the field for its revival so it won't be enough to offset the cost IMO.

The deck can do Leviair but would probably prioritize getting out Ice Barrier Synchros or some of the Main Deck Generals now. Dewloren works beautifully with Freezing Chains and with your Field Spell (grateful it's a Field btw). They even gave the deck a trap that gradually grows into a trap version of Trishula the more of those Synchros you have out and dubs as target protection from the GY.

Don't worry, the tuner transformation isn't controversial or anything. Just look at all the "White Aura" Synchros.

All in all despite this wall of text I just concocted, the basic idea is that the general card is good, but needs like 2 small tweaks... the one I bolded up there isn't even one I really deem all that crucial so yeah xD
Overall good job, and the art is in theme enough to be worth praising too xD IDK if it was easy or not to find but I think it works well.

17 hours ago, Sleepy said:

The card's concept is a welcomed one but I have a couple notes that could make it a little more potent, and I think it does kinda need it.
-I think the hand-refreshing effect being "shuffle first, draw after" is not ideal. I'd rather opt for first returning the unwanted cards to the bottom and then drawing from the top to ensure a bigger chance of reducing randomness screwing you with more copies of what you just returned.
-I think I've seen other ways to approach the target in GY must not move for this to work", like, when you say something like target 1 card in your GY that was sent there from the field for example is a sort of effect that assumes the card has remained that way without the awkward wording.... I know this isn't the same kind of effect being resolved here but the principle is about the same.
-I think banishing 2 Ice Barriers is kind of a big cost for this. I like the +/- 1 Level change or the shift from tuner/non-tuner, they are useful, but Ice Barriers aren't exactly able to turbo their deck into the GY and most of their new monsters banish themselves from the GY already. That combined with how we got Salvage, Surface, Prior of the Ice Barrier, Freezing Chains of the Ice Barrier, Winds of the Ice Barrier, and General Gantala of the Ice Barrier, all grabbing the remaining monsters from the GY and putting them into your hand/field.... it becomes a very valuable resource to not deplete them too badly. That's plus the disruption they'd get from opponent plays (Called by the Grave, D.D. Crow, Dark Law, or themed stuff like Shaddoll Ariel) crippling things further, we end up with a non-advantage-generating play that is great for helping you toolbox through the extra deck but whose cost might be a bit tall. Your field is the only on-theme way to retrieve banished members and is a hard OPT that only works when it enters the field for its revival so it won't be enough to offset the cost IMO.

The deck can do Leviair but would probably prioritize getting out Ice Barrier Synchros or some of the Main Deck Generals now. Dewloren works beautifully with Freezing Chains and with your Field Spell (grateful it's a Field btw). They even gave the deck a trap that gradually grows into a trap version of Trishula the more of those Synchros you have out and dubs as target protection from the GY.

Don't worry, the tuner transformation isn't controversial or anything. Just look at all the "White Aura" Synchros.

All in all despite this wall of text I just concocted, the basic idea is that the general card is good, but needs like 2 small tweaks... the one I bolded up there isn't even one I really deem all that crucial so yeah xD
Overall good job, and the art is in theme enough to be worth praising too xD IDK if it was easy or not to find but I think it works well.

Heck, Sleepie, what am I gonna do if you ever get tired of replying to my cards? Your feedback is so good and accurate it's scary xD.

Alrighty, I agree with just about everything said above, bar the little wording part, as I don't share it's awkward, hehe. I based that part from an existing card's wording, and even though the situation and exact words aren't the same, I feel they work accurately. Unfortunately we don't have (or at least I don't remember) more instances of similar wording, so I opted for going with it to include both banishment and GY possibilities in a single relatively short line of text xD.

So yeah, I adjusted the card to do the crafty bottom of the deck part and reduced the banishment cost to 1. Hopefully now is looking good and ready to go!

Thanks, Sleepy n.n

On 3/14/2021 at 5:35 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

When this card is activated: You can target 1 of your "Ice Barrier" monsters that was sent to the GY or was banished by the effect of an “Ice Barrier” card this turn and haven't changed place since; Special Summon it

Critiques and Comment welcome as usual n.n

Please tell me if in the future you don't want grammar help. It should be hasn't not haven't or for for formality has not.

PS. I appreciate grammar checking my cards because I'm not perfect but I find it important.

EDIT: nvm the above fixes are indeed scary accurate. Sleepy's idea is one way to fix the grammar (albeit better than mine) but the reason it's not haven't is because of plurality. You can pick my fix to the grammar if you want to keep it closer to the original or leave it as is.

29 minutes ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

Please tell me if in the future you don't want grammar help. It should be hasn't not haven't or for for formality has not.

PS. I appreciate grammar checking my cards because I'm not perfect but I find it important.

EDIT: nvm the above fixes are indeed scary accurate. Sleepy's idea is one way to fix the grammar (albeit better than mine) but the reason it's not haven't is because of plurality. You can pick my fix to the grammar if you want to keep it closer to the original or leave it as is.

You're right, I made that lil' mistake. Fixed, thanks n.n.

And yeah, Sleepy's suggestion is indeed pretty good, yet for the reasons mentioned before I decided to keep the structure of that effect as it is, though I made the other adjustments she listed.

Nice I really want to get Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier or any of his Other Synchro Forms not his Garbage Fusion Form The Synchro Froms are Stronger xD and to Snipe Cards out of My Opponents Hand xD My you gotta Love this guy Trishula thinks he can rip cards out of someone's hand who is he a Villain?

image.png.8b2083459e6ec583146abcc7f1fc6d22.png

Edit: Ha-Ha-Ha Just kinda Had a Funny idea This is the Yu-gi-oh Version of Kyurem I just Wonder... If Kyurem and Trishula would be Friends or Enemies Probably Enemies with each other... Just maybe a little off Topic but there Still both Ice Dragons just a Fun Fact I want you to Know

image.thumb.png.ae3a04f0cc5e756fa596665a4152ec23.png

Archived