Toon Catalog

Sleepy

F6VoMMe.png
Toon Catalog
[Continuous Spell]

This card is treated as "Toon World" while on the field. Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up banished "Toon" card; flip it face-down.  Once per turn: You can reveal up to 4 face-down banished cards, then apply a number of the following effects equal to the number of "Toon" cards revealed, once each. 
●1+: Shuffle 1 of your revealed cards into your Deck 
●2+: Set 1 of your revealed Spell/Traps in your field. 
●3+: Add 1 of your revealed cards to your hand. 
●4: Special Summon 1 of your revealed monsters.

Notes:
The main idea is that it can recycle Toon Bookmark while also getting back the cards lost  by Toon Kingdom's effect. Yes it can become a very easy +3 but only if your deck is so packed with Toon cards you have a 100% chance of all your face-down banished cards being Toon cards that can be retrieved this way.... but all Toon decks nowadays at the very least have Necroface and handtraps so that's a consistency minus. On top of the need for setup since Kingdom only banishes 3 when entering the field, and from there on it depends on the opponent going after the monsters themselves in a way kindgom can attempt to protect them.... kinda reactive. That's my theory on why this much plus should not be a big issue.

Originally I wanted all toon monsters to gain the name of their non-toon counterparts, but the issue is that most of them aren't written in a way that can just work for all. Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon without "toon" becomes "Blue-Eyes Dragon" instead of "Blue-Eyes White Dragon". Red Archery Girl vs Toon Mermaid aren't even similar either.....so I couldn't go through xD

Toon World and Toon Kingdom both come with costs. It's kind of awkward that this one doesn't have one. Maybe banish a card from the hand or field? Or cards from your Deck like Toon Kingdom, but not face-down like Kingdom?

Also, if I recall, card text doesn't exactly register whether a card that was banished face-down has any particular name, Type, Attribute, or any other of those traits. You may want to do some text changes. I have a suggestion:

"Once per turn: You can reveal up to four face-down banished cards, then you can apply the following effects for each "Toon" card revealed. 

● 1: Shuffle 1 of your revealed cards into your Deck

● 2+: Set 1 of your revealed Spell/Traps in your Spell & Trap Zone.

● 3+: Add 1 of your revealed cards to your hand.

● 4: Special Summon 1 of your revealed "Toon" monsters.

Nyx beat me to it, as the first thing I was going to say is that face-down cards lose identity, thus you wouldn't be able to target "Toon" cards regardless if they're being revealed, because they're only "Toon" after they're on sight. So yeah, Nyx's suggestion is right on track. The good thing is that the rule says the possessor of face-down banished cards can look at 'em, so even if your Toon cards get mixed up with other effects, such as Pot of Extravagance's, you can still target the correct ones. The one thing I didn't like in either of the current versions, yours or Nyx's, is the sequence. In both cases, though worded differently, you got to reach Card 4 to apply the Special Summoning. I'm not sure if you truly want to keep this order, it's not like the card is bad because of that, but I'd rather give it more flexibility.

Once per turn: You can reveal up to 4 face-down banished cards, then apply a number of the following effects equal to the number of "Toon" cards revealed, once each.

So you can reveal 3 Toons, including a monster, and Special Summon it without needing the 4th one.

P.D. I love the artwork, it's just so fun and colourful! I like the smiling planet, specially xD 

On 3/21/2021 at 5:02 PM, The Nyx Avatar said:

Toon World and Toon Kingdom both come with costs. It's kind of awkward that this one doesn't have one. Maybe banish a card from the hand or field? Or cards from your Deck like Toon Kingdom, but not face-down like Kingdom?

Also, if I recall, card text doesn't exactly register whether a card that was banished face-down has any particular name, Type, Attribute, or any other of those traits. You may want to do some text changes. I have a suggestion:

"Once per turn: You can reveal up to four face-down banished cards, then you can apply the following effects for each "Toon" card revealed. 

● 1: Shuffle 1 of your revealed cards into your Deck

● 2+: Set 1 of your revealed Spell/Traps in your Spell & Trap Zone.

● 3+: Add 1 of your revealed cards to your hand.

● 4: Special Summon 1 of your revealed "Toon" monsters.

I don't really agree with it having a cost of entry just because the others do. It's not really something I'd put into the "flavor points". I'd give it a cost for balance reasons on the other hand, but it banishing more cards is like feeding its own effect....... umm which doesn't sound like a bad idea actually xD

On the subject of the reword. It's not a bad idea, though your wording seems to favor also supporting non-Toon cards. Since face-down banished cards are always able to be checked by their owner, you are not gonna be flipping random slots there, so you can always flip 4, have 2 of those be "Toon" cards and set that Monster Reborn or Raigeki that Pot of Desires had previously banished, because even if it isn't a Toon card itself, you still did fulfill the 2+ condition. If 3 "Toon" cards got revealed, there goes back Evenly Matched or a hand trap like Ash or Snow Rabbit. xD

If that's what your intention was, I have to admit it is actually a tempting way to boost my card's power. If not, I can always just slap the "Toon" word in those bullet effects and nerf it, but I'm gonna check Rayfield's suggestion before settling for the idea xP
Thanks for the post and sorry I took a while to respond. I've dropped dead for days during my "free time" and even now I just woke up from a nap that consisted on as long as I could reach my bed hehe.....

PD: Just back from thinking and I kinda like the generic approach being suggested xD

On 3/21/2021 at 5:59 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

Nyx beat me to it, as the first thing I was going to say is that face-down cards lose identity, thus you wouldn't be able to target "Toon" cards regardless if they're being revealed, because they're only "Toon" after they're on sight. So yeah, Nyx's suggestion is right on track. The good thing is that the rule says the possessor of face-down banished cards can look at 'em, so even if your Toon cards get mixed up with other effects, such as Pot of Extravagance's, you can still target the correct ones. The one thing I didn't like in either of the current versions, yours or Nyx's, is the sequence. In both cases, though worded differently, you got to reach Card 4 to apply the Special Summoning. I'm not sure if you truly want to keep this order, it's not like the card is bad because of that, but I'd rather give it more flexibility.

So you can reveal 3 Toons, including a monster, and Special Summon it without needing the 4th one.

P.D. I love the artwork, it's just so fun and colourful! I like the smiling planet, specially xD 

Similar to what I said to Nyx: Thanks for commenting and sorry for the wait! Now on to the points xD
The target bit is a non-issue since only the first effect is targeting a "Toon" card that is banished face-up (normal banished). Those can be target and it does so because it flips it down, so now you have an extra card to feed its main effect. The idea is that Toon Bookmark banishes itself to protect a "Toon" from destruction, but it is face-up banished and it is one of the best cards to retrieve (even more so than Toon Table of Contents).

Hmmm you did not suggest a specific change to the reveal requirements so if I understood correctly, what you are trying to say is for it to still require 4 reveals to happen, but to be able to resolve them in any way we want? Like, Special Summoning before I add to hand, and stuff like that? Sounds good to me. I think I'll implement both suggestions at once.

Now for the idea behind the card's modus operandi xP

1 ) The Took Deck can banish via
-Pot of Desires (10 off the top of Main Deck)
-Pot of Extravagance (6 off the Extra Deck, which they don't really care much about)
-Kingdom (3 off the top of Main Deck +1 for each Toon monster protected throughout)

2 ) Banish face-up:
-Necroface (a staple to recover what the above engines lose to randomness, it can also banish a ton of stuff via things like Gold Sarcophagus and stack with other Necrofaces for a deckout play after a certain point).
-Toon Bookmark (other than hard OPT clause, it's honestly better than Table of Contents, as it can protect a Toon card by self-banishing from GY).
-Toon BLS (only with the classic "I steal your BLS to have it banish itself" play from old school xD )

3 ) Benefits for my card's effects:
-It is more likely to Special Summon Toon Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning or Toon Angient Gear Golem, though it is acceptable to go after Toon Red-Eyes Black Dragon or Toon Dark Magician as well due to their recruiting effects.
-The Set to your field effect is the most likely one to benefit from the "flip down a banished Toon card OPT". Cards you wanna have back but they don't make themselves easy targets for it like Toon Mask, Toon Bookmark, "Toon Page Flip", Toon Terror, Shadow Toon, Toon Rollback, etc.
-The "add to hand" is meant to give you a second shot to either of the above bullets in this part, but they otherwise are indifferent to your method to getting them back. This effect was made with the idea of giving a little edge to "Toon Harpie Lady" that when dropped from hand can destroy 1 S/T (and self-Special Summons also).
-The shuffle effect is just damage control, but I love the idea of Nyx's suggestion getting more generic stuff back potentially.

1 hour ago, Sleepy said:

The target bit is a non-issue since only the first effect is targeting a "Toon" card that is banished face-up (normal banished).

Umm... didn't the second effect, the one that reveals face-down cards , said "Reveal 4 banished face-down "Toon" cards... ? Well, maybe I got it confused with the first one, but Nyx also mentioned the problem with targeting cards with characteristics... oh well, I'm crazy, nvm xD.

1 hour ago, Sleepy said:

Hmmm you did not suggest a specific change to the reveal requirements so if I understood correctly, what you are trying to say is for it to still require 4 reveals to happen, but to be able to resolve them in any way we want? Like, Special Summoning before I add to hand, and stuff like that? Sounds good to me. I think I'll implement both suggestions at once.

Ehhh... not exactly. I'd like the card to have more flexibility. The 4 effects are ordered in 1+, 2+, 3+, 4. In other words, the next effect is always harder to attain than the previous as you require more Toons to be revealed. Meanwhile, you can reveal up to 4 always as long as you got enough targets, so you can reveal other cards and apply the effects on them even if not Toon. With the suggestion I made, Once per turn: You can reveal up to 4 face-down banished cards, then apply a number of the following effects equal to the number of "Toon" cards revealed, once each. the "order" is removed and the, uhhh... number requirement per effect is removed as well. That way, even if you reveal only 1 Toon, and the Toon is a monster, you can SS it, something that you cannot with the current version. As I understand it, if you allow me, what's wrong in the card right now is the numbers. With the wording suggested, they should only be bulleted, as they're just a list of possible effects you can apply, regardless of the total number of cards revealed, then, as you reveal more, like the suggestion says, apply a number equal to the number of Toons revealed, once each.

3 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Umm... didn't the second effect, the one that reveals face-down cards , said "Reveal 4 banished face-down "Toon" cards... ? Well, maybe I got it confused with the first one, but Nyx also mentioned the problem with targeting cards with characteristics... oh well, I'm crazy, nvm xD.

Ehhh... not exactly. I'd like the card to have more flexibility. The 4 effects are ordered in 1+, 2+, 3+, 4. In other words, the next effect is always harder to attain than the previous as you require more Toons to be revealed. Meanwhile, you can reveal up to 4 always as long as you got enough targets, so you can reveal other cards and apply the effects on them even if not Toon. With the suggestion I made, Once per turn: You can reveal up to 4 face-down banished cards, then apply a number of the following effects equal to the number of "Toon" cards revealed, once each. the "order" is removed and the, uhhh... number requirement per effect is removed as well. That way, even if you reveal only 1 Toon, and the Toon is a monster, you can SS it, something that you cannot with the current version. As I understand it, if you allow me, what's wrong in the card right now is the numbers. With the wording suggested, they should only be bulleted, as they're just a list of possible effects you can apply, regardless of the total number of cards revealed, then, as you reveal more, like the suggestion says, apply a number equal to the number of Toons revealed, once each.

Yeah the first version did say "reveal up to 4 face-down banished "Toon" cards" for the main effect iirc. As the owner you can always look at your face-down banished cards to confirm they are Toons and reveal them even if the opponent has to wait for them to turn face-up. It's not the same as targeting them so I'm not really sure what the issue was mechanic-wise there. Hmmm...

Ah, I see now what you meant with that suggestion. I'm not really sure about giving more flexibility to a card that can net you a +3 every turn that has no strings attached after giving you the cards (locking you into certain Summons or preventing you from using the cards you get from it). That laddering sequence was really made to be part of the drawback (starting with a lame "shuffle 1 into deck" effect). Especially after the newest update made it able to affect non-Toon cards (so long as x needed amount of Toons revealed is fulfilled to unlock that bullet effect).

Not saying no but I'm gonna have to think about it....

10 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Yeah the first version did say "reveal up to 4 face-down banished "Toon" cards" for the main effect iirc. As the owner you can always look at your face-down banished cards to confirm they are Toons and reveal them even if the opponent has to wait for them to turn face-up. It's not the same as targeting them so I'm not really sure what the issue was mechanic-wise there. Hmmm...

Ah, I see now what you meant with that suggestion. I'm not really sure about giving more flexibility to a card that can net you a +3 every turn that has no strings attached after giving you the cards (locking you into certain Summons or preventing you from using the cards you get from it). That laddering sequence was really made to be part of the drawback (starting with a lame "shuffle 1 into deck" effect). Especially after the newest update made it able to affect non-Toon cards (so long as x needed amount of Toons revealed is fulfilled to unlock that bullet effect).

Not saying no but I'm gonna have to think about it....

Sure, sure, more flexibility is something I'd like, but doesn't necessarily is the most balanced idea, so I leave it to your consideration n.n. At least I'm seeing the conversation is leading to try and find the best possible version of the card, so I think stuff's going fine regardless if the suggestion is used in the end.

Hope you don't mind, but I'll have to insist in the revealing of face-down banished cards. IIRC, the original effect said "You can reveal up to 4 of your banished face-down "Toon" cards, etc., which in essence is impossible. As I understand it, it doesn't matter if, as their possessor,  you can look a them at any moment to "confirm" they're Toons... as long as they're banished face-down, they're nothing, except face-down banished cards. They don't have a card type, or any other characteristic, not even a name, thus revealing banished face-down "Toon" cards is not doable, it doesn't matter of you have the information that they're in truth Toon cards because, as I've said before, they don't have an identity. It's kinda like... an order in which stuff is done, like when you target something with X characteristics, but first to target you must check the card is suitable to be targeted. In this case, you try to check the characteristic of the card because the effect is asking you for Toons, but they're not Toons, until you reveal them... see the contradiction? xD.

At any rate, as the wording is right now none of this matter, so it's just friendly chat of a ruling n.n

Archived