the 1619 project and american educatiom

cr47t

I can agree that pushing an agenda onto children for the sake of political advantage isn't ethical, I revert back to saying, "Honest politicians don't exist". Also, the goal is to institutionalize the children, not educate them. And well, historical accuracy has no value in the institution unless it fits the agenda. All the more, the American Education System is about as close to ethical as Pluto is to the sun. If the Education System was really ethical, you would receive training/education based on your desired career. But that's if you actually desire an intelligent and innovative workforce as opposed to a bunch of zombies that attend Harvard just to go work at McDonald's flipping burgers.

Just a thought. Nothing more. Nothing less. That's pretty much all I have to offer right now.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Horu said:

I can agree that pushing an agenda onto children for the sake of political advantage isn't ethical, I revert back to saying, "Honest politicians don't exist". Also, the goal is to institutionalize the children, not educate them. And well, historical accuracy has no value in the institution unless it fits the agenda. All the more, the American Education System is about as close to ethical as Pluto is to the sun. If the Education System was really ethical, you would receive training/education based on your desired career. But that's if you actually desire an intelligent and innovative workforce as opposed to a bunch of zombies that attend Harvard just to go work at McDonald's flipping burgers.

Just a thought. Nothing more. Nothing less. That's pretty much all I have to offer right now.

Cheers.

wait a minute, who's the one pushing the agenda in the education with no regard for historical accuracy? the 1619 guys? the opponents? some other guys?

i do agree that america's education is especially ridiculous in the field of history - esp. since politicians and political school people are both more concerned with imposing a narrative into the thought process of the next generation, knowing theirs will be out of power, and what is the way to do it most likely to slip by scrutiny? it's 'education'; nobody cares about that right?

there are other ways that education in the US has stagnated. don't know how to compress it all into a post here, but what makes me mad is that the few people who do pay attention don't do jack squat about it even in principle, because who can imagine the horror if The Youth actually could figure out to manage money and do their jobs instead of memorizing a periodic table, or algebra, or something else, that won't have any relevance to their postschool lives?

on a final note, thought you'd all find this interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/12/us/texas-vs-california-history-textbooks.html

1 hour ago, cr47t said:

wait a minute, who's the one pushing the agenda in the education with no regard for historical accuracy? the 1619 guys? the opponents? some other guys?

i do agree that america's education is especially ridiculous in the field of history - esp. since politicians and political school people are both more concerned with imposing a narrative into the thought process of the next generation, knowing theirs will be out of power, and what is the way to do it most likely to slip by scrutiny? it's 'education'; nobody cares about that right?

there are other ways that education in the US has stagnated. don't know how to compress it all into a post here, but what makes me mad is that the few people who do pay attention don't do jack squat about it even in principle, because who can imagine the horror if The Youth actually could figure out to manage money and do their jobs instead of memorizing a periodic table, or algebra, or something else, that won't have any relevance to their postschool lives?

on a final note, thought you'd all find this interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/12/us/texas-vs-california-history-textbooks.html

That actually is pretty interesting. And still proves what I mentioned above. Historical accuracy only matters when it fits the agenda.

Seriously, by the time my daughter attends high school, the Revolution will be chalked down to a paintball match where everyone got a participation trophy.

• 4 months later...

The Hannah-Jones essay is at once an argument for black distinctiveness and for black American-ness. “More than any other group in this country’s history, we have served, generation after generation, in an overlooked but vital role: It is we who have been the perfecters of this democracy,” she writes. The essay concludes with the claim, “It was by virtue of our bondage that we became the most American of all.” When I was looking for the best dissertation writing services I came across reviews from one expert who has a lot of experience in the field of education, notice he has a good point.

Most American of all? Or, both for better and for worse, just as American as anybody else? If there’s a bottom line to the story of The 1619 Project, it’s that in its lack of care with history, conflicted attitude toward capitalism, and embrace of celebrity and of identity politics, the venture seems less about perfecting America than about embodying some of its more exasperating and less constructive contemporary ailments.

Archived