A Distortion in Time v2.0

601858691_ADistortioninTime2.0.thumb.png.9e718c3dcbae859eb6163842f74574c2.png

A Distortion in Time

Counter Trap

Activate only as Chain Link 3 or higher. Each of the effects activated by your opponent during this Chain become 1 of the following effects (your call).
⚪ You cannot activate cards or effects that negate your opponent''s monster effects for the rest of this turn.
⚪ You cannot activate cards or effects that negate your opponent's Summons for the rest of this turn.

Version 2.0 of the card. Removed the "Spell Speed 4" -Super Poly like effect, and toned down bulleted effects. Credits to Sleepy and Tinkerer

Critique n' Comment welcome :) 

I personally find the card to be on the overpowered side.
The fact it is a Counter Trap just means it can respond to other Counter Traps in the chain, but otherwise the ability for your opponent to retaliate against it remains the same, as it has the extra super poly clause (the one that says the opponent can't respond to it). Honestly I think for something that can modify multiple opponent effects in one go, making them fizzle as they turn into Foolish Burials, generic GY retrieve effects, and extra draws, that's strong enough to warrant the ability to respond to it. 

Filling up the conditions is as easy as having this card set and an MST and waiting for your opponent to do any single effect at all. Though that'd only work towards achieving the lowest value you can out of it. Said value is still a very powerful one though. You ensure your other effect resolves, your opponent's doesn't, you get a bonus out of it (in the form of an effect that mimics spell cards from the limited list), and your opponent simply can no longer tamper with the chain. In fact, the more they did prior to this card, the more this power swing play multiplies.

My suggestion is that you get rid of the Counter Trap status and the "cannot be responded to" part... maaaaybe I think it'd be fair if this is not entirely removed but nerfed into eliminating the easiest form or response. Something like "your opponent cannot activate cards or effects from monsters in response to this card's activation."
This would not make it an imminent effect although it'd still resolve plenty of times. But I think this much of a powerful effect warrants allowing the opponent to try to get around it.

Second, I suggest you make the morphed effects less versatile. I'm not sure what the best nerf would be because we have options. You can force a specific pattern of bullets you have to go through in order that will loop as you run the course, OR you can flat out give your opponent the right to decide which beneficial effect you get to resolve. You have "Upstart Goblin", "Foolish Burial" or "any card from your GY to hand". All these effects are among the most generically good effects out there so even giving the opponent the choice to pick their poison, it'd be a pretty strong thing to do.

Well, there is an argument for keeping it as a Counter Trap, which is not making it searchable by "Trap Trick" or "Lilith Lady of Lament". 

NOTE: The moment I started writing this and when I finished it have an interval of hours soooo I don't think I'll re-read this time to cut the trim xD
I'll make corrections in the next reply if something comes to mind ^^"
To be honest, I believe my suggestions are insufficient at the moment to balance the card, but I'd rather see if there's any third opinion on the card before I go further n.n

Aww, c'mon!  I thought you'd know me better than to get mad at stuff like that. :P 

Anyway, looking on EDOpro, there is one Counter Trap that changes a card's effects: Graydle Combat.  It also has a negate effect, but Counter Traps don't necessarily need to negate things (Parthian Shot).  Most Counter Traps negate, so it's always odd to see one that doesn't, but it's not a deal breaker.

In terms of the card's power, I do have to echo Sleepy for most of it.  The "Spell Speed 4" aspect seems like overkill, especially since the card is already Counter Trap (and therefore already difficult to counter).  I would also recommend toning down the effects that you can get out of it. 

Given that you need to have this card Set for a turn, it would most likely be used to either a) stop your opponent from countering your already established board OR b) counter a handtrap preventing a comeback.  Maybe you can rework the effects to more directly benefit those scenarios?

18 hours ago, Sleepy said:

I personally find the card to be on the overpowered side.
The fact it is a Counter Trap just means it can respond to other Counter Traps in the chain, but otherwise the ability for your opponent to retaliate against it remains the same, as it has the extra super poly clause (the one that says the opponent can't respond to it). Honestly I think for something that can modify multiple opponent effects in one go, making them fizzle as they turn into Foolish Burials, generic GY retrieve effects, and extra draws, that's strong enough to warrant the ability to respond to it. 

Filling up the conditions is as easy as having this card set and an MST and waiting for your opponent to do any single effect at all. Though that'd only work towards achieving the lowest value you can out of it. Said value is still a very powerful one though. You ensure your other effect resolves, your opponent's doesn't, you get a bonus out of it (in the form of an effect that mimics spell cards from the limited list), and your opponent simply can no longer tamper with the chain. In fact, the more they did prior to this card, the more this power swing play multiplies.

My suggestion is that you get rid of the Counter Trap status and the "cannot be responded to" part... maaaaybe I think it'd be fair if this is not entirely removed but nerfed into eliminating the easiest form or response. Something like "your opponent cannot activate cards or effects from monsters in response to this card's activation."
This would not make it an imminent effect although it'd still resolve plenty of times. But I think this much of a powerful effect warrants allowing the opponent to try to get around it.

Second, I suggest you make the morphed effects less versatile. I'm not sure what the best nerf would be because we have options. You can force a specific pattern of bullets you have to go through in order that will loop as you run the course, OR you can flat out give your opponent the right to decide which beneficial effect you get to resolve. You have "Upstart Goblin", "Foolish Burial" or "any card from your GY to hand". All these effects are among the most generically good effects out there so even giving the opponent the choice to pick their poison, it'd be a pretty strong thing to do.

Well, there is an argument for keeping it as a Counter Trap, which is not making it searchable by "Trap Trick" or "Lilith Lady of Lament". 

NOTE: The moment I started writing this and when I finished it have an interval of hours soooo I don't think I'll re-read this time to cut the trim xD
I'll make corrections in the next reply if something comes to mind ^^"
To be honest, I believe my suggestions are insufficient at the moment to balance the card, but I'd rather see if there's any third opinion on the card before I go further n.n

17 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

Aww, c'mon!  I thought you'd know me better than to get mad at stuff like that. :P 

Anyway, looking on EDOpro, there is one Counter Trap that changes a card's effects: Graydle Combat.  It also has a negate effect, but Counter Traps don't necessarily need to negate things (Parthian Shot).  Most Counter Traps negate, so it's always odd to see one that doesn't, but it's not a deal breaker.

In terms of the card's power, I do have to echo Sleepy for most of it.  The "Spell Speed 4" aspect seems like overkill, especially since the card is already Counter Trap (and therefore already difficult to counter).  I would also recommend toning down the effects that you can get out of it. 

Given that you need to have this card Set for a turn, it would most likely be used to either a) stop your opponent from countering your already established board OR b) counter a handtrap preventing a comeback.  Maybe you can rework the effects to more directly benefit those scenarios?

Thanks a lot for taking your time in replying to this card n.n

Looks like this time I overdid it and made the card too powerful, you guys are making sense. Perhaps I knew this in a corner of my mind, because I normally add the artwork in my Image editor and save from there, and I save it with 97% quality to greatly reduce the file's size at the cost of slightly less image quality. This time I saved it at 100% because I had the feeling it needed rework xD.

Interesting to learn of Graydle Combat and Parthian Shot (Subterror Nemesis Archer, yay). How the hell do you guys know so many cards? lol

So, after reading the replies, I made a mixture and went with the following:

Removed the super poly clause altogether, BUT it's still a Counter Trap. I feel it requires that status. Bulleted effects were changed completely, becoming obstacles to the opponent for responding to your actions rather than powerful automatic +1s. Not too many Traps out there, but normally if you find one, they will be Solemn Judgement/Warning/Strike. Perhaps you could argue that, given the new effects, it would have been better to negate negations altogether, but somehow the bulleted part (still your call) seduced me. It'll be funny to convert a Solemn Strike Effect to anti monster effect negation, killing two birds with one stone.

So, what do you guys think? Is it better now? Pls let me know n.n

I like the change a lot more than before. It is still a good effect to pull off just on the basis that is 1 or 2 effects your opponent is not resolving the way intended. There are scenarios in old school cards that allowed to miss the timing for the opponent's reacrion. Example: you were allowed iirc to go MST > chain call of the haunted, and the opponent could not bottomless your monster. Either it chained to call (can't since nothing is yet Summoned) or realize after the monster revives MST needs to resolve before any new stuff can happen and start a new chain, so by then it is too late..... sooooo I like how your card just says "why not screw both effects?" XD

Of course this protection effect is a good one too. Card allows outs but isn't guaranteed to lose to them too much. Not everyone runs counters even if they are a one shot "stop anything". And Summon removal is more common than Summon negation. Would have to test the card somehow. 

Overall good job xP

Archived