Video games that were better or worse than you thought they'd be

The Nyx Avatar

We've all heard the old saying "Don't judge a book by its cover". But that's hard to do. So of course we're still gonna judge a book by its cover. Well, until we delve into it or learn about it via secondhand knowledge.

The same applies to other forms of media, like video games.

With all that said: What are some games that were better or worse than the cover led you to believe?

game-video-games.gif

On 9/12/2021 at 8:42 PM, The Nyx Avatar said:

That works. You just say what you thought about it before you played it.

ok

i recently bought spiritfarer on steam and i'm liking it so far. i thought it would be a nice diversion but when i pick it up i just get lost for a while exploring and meeting new people. in its minimal-conflict world-focused idea executed superbly (and how it does it) it's reminded me more than once of spirited away

22 hours ago, cr47t said:

ok

i recently bought spiritfarer on steam and i'm liking it so far. i thought it would be a nice diversion but when i pick it up i just get lost for a while exploring and meeting new people. in its minimal-conflict world-focused idea executed superbly (and how it does it) it's reminded me more than once of spirited away

Is it better than you thought it'd be?

Alright.

Well, if there's one game that didn't meet my expectations, it was Splatoon. I really didn't care for the game back when it was first announced. In late 2015, I bought a Wii U bundle with it. I didn't get the hype, and thought the game was gonna be silly. I played it, and I was hooked on it for months. And sure, the story (or what comes close to a story in the game) wasn't anything compelling, nothing in an actual match or round made the gameplay come off as silly. Just some nice good fun. I came into the the game with...really no expectations, and left with good impressions.

• 3 months later...

I’m playing mythology game Hades. Like all SGG creations, the game is distinguished by gorgeous visuals, a cool soundtrack authored by Darren Korb and unique mechanics. The game's plot is quite simple. The game does not have a specific genre - it is a mixture of action and slasher. There are six types of weapons, but each has four types. It is more convenient to play on the joystick, since the dynamics of the game are quite frantic. However, the difficulty of the game is not so high, sooner or later it will turn out to escape. The game has only four worlds with several rooms in each and a boss at the end, which change. In general, if you were looking for something similar, then you should not pass by. The game is really worth your attention.

Archived