Gospeline Archetype (Xmas Event)

morrisoni4

This archetype is a creation based on the Biblical Christmas story, the birth of Jesus. For those unfamiliar, I'll include some explanations after each card explaining the inspiration in Italics. The archetype as a whole is mostly Level 5+ Warriors, with a lot of support for lower-level Warrior and Spellcaster monsters, because that's what younger humans are usually represented as in-game.

“Gospeline Mother Mary”

Level 5/Warrior/LIGHT/1500/1800

During your End Phase, if this card was Summoned this turn: Special Summon one Level 4 or lower Warrior or Spellcaster-Type monster from your hand.

The Virgin Mary, Jesus's mother - Summoning the "child" being akin to giving birth in this scenario.

“Gospeline Carpenter Joseph”

Level 5/Warrior/LIGHT/1800/1500

You can banish 1 Trap from your Deck, and Set 1 card with the same name directly from your Deck. You can only use this effect of “Gospeline Carpenter Joseph” once per turn.

Mary's husband, Joseph, was a simple carpenter. In this interpretation, he's able to create things using these skills - by way of "creating" the Trap. The effect used "Trap Trick" as a baseline.

“Gospeline Magi Caspar, Melchior, and Balthasar”

Level 5/Warrior/LIGHT/1900/1400

Once per turn, during the Standby Phase, each player draws one card for each Level 4 or lower Warrior or Spellcaster monster they control.

The Magi, also known as the Three Kings or Three Wise Men. Though unnamed (and in fact unnumbered) in the original, these names have become associated with them over the years. The idea of them giving gifts to the baby king is the inspiration for their effect.

“Gospeline Shepherds”
Level 4/Warrior/EARTH/1200/1400

Beast-Type monsters you control cannot be targeted for attacks or card effects.

The outcast shepherds were the first group the angelic hosts told about the birth of Jesus. The effect is based on their job - they protect their sheep.

“Gospeline Messenger Gabriel”

Level 8/Fairy/LIGHT/2500/2600

Once per turn, you can look at the top 3 cards of your Deck, then return them to the top or bottom of the Deck in any order.

The archangel Gabriel ("angel" literally meaning "messenger") told Mary that she was going to be the Savior's mother. The prediction thereof is referenced in the effect.

“Gospeline Newborn Savior”

Level 4/Spellcaster/LIGHT/500/500

Cannot be Normal Summoned. LIGHT monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle or your opponent’s card effects.

This one is the Baby Jesus himself. Because of the Biblical imagery of the protecting king, this is meant to be representing the Savior protecting those who are with him.

“Gospeline Prophet Isaiah”

Level 5/Warrior/LIGHT/1500/1500

You can Tribute this card, add one Level 4 or lower Warrior or Spellcaster monster from your Deck to your hand.

The only character here from the Old Testament, Isaiah was one of God's prophets, who had some of the earliest and most prominent prophecies about Jesus' birth and life. Similarly to Gabriel, the prophetic element is played up in the effect of searching for the expected child.

“Gospeline Tyrant Herod”

Level 6/Warrior/DARK/2000/2000

When this card is attacked, destroy all Level 4 or lower Warrior or Spellcaster monsters on the field.

The king of Judea at the time, Herod found out about the prophecies of Jesus' birth from the Magi, and he ordered the slaughter of all the babies in Bethlehem, where Jesus was born, because he was paranoid about this prophesied "King" growing up to oust him from power. The darkest of my cards in this archetype by far.

“Gospeline Gift of Gold”

Equip Spell

A “Gospeline” monster equipped with this card gains 1000 ATK and DEF. Once per turn, during the End Phase of the player who controls the Equipped monster, that player draws 1 card.

“Gospeline Gift of Incense”

Equip Spell

A “Gospeline” monster equipped with this card gains 1000 ATK and DEF. Once per turn, during the End Phase of the player who controls the Equipped monster, that player gains 1000 LP.

“Gospeline Gift of Myrrh”

Equip Spell

A “Gospeline” monster equipped with this card gains 1000 ATK and DEF. Once per turn, during the End Phase of the player who controls the Equipped monster, that player can add 1 monster from their GY to their hand.

These three are based on the gifts of the Magi - Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh. As with the card of the Magi themselves, the gift-giving focus is prominent, while still boosting the archetype themselves with the specific ATK/DEF boost.

“Gospeline Village Bethlehem”

Field Spell

Once per turn, the turn player can Special Summon one Warrior or Spellcaster monster from their hand. If that monster is a “Gospeline” monster, that player gains 500 LP.

“No Room in the Gospeline Inn”

Continuous Spell

Once per turn, when your opponent would Special Summon a monster with a Level less than or equal to the number of Gospeline monsters you control, you can activate this effect: Negate that Special Summon.

The Little Town of Bethlehem - the City of David where Jesus was born, in accordance with the prophecies. There were an unreal number of people there at the time, because the census rules said everyone had to go to their ancestral home to register. Thus why there was no room in the inn, and the baby was born in the stable.

Alright @Rayfield Lumina Sorry this took so long; the weekend was busier than I anticipated. Anyway, here it is, finally! Enjoy my latest Christmas addition!

First of all, pretty nice of you to add the lore of each card, it really adds to the experience of going through the archetype.

Having said that, when you analyze each member of the archetype, it's a rollercoaster in terms of power level, certain effects are slightly OP, some others pretty underwhelming, and some others that you could consider strong but have little to do with the overall strategy/essence of the archetype.

Mary - I believe she can be far more powerful, in every aspect. While its true she can be SS'ed by others, it's pretty inconvenient she's Lv 5, something which surprised me as she has very low stats for a monster of that Level (considering there's stuff out there like Dinomist Rex with 2400/2200. Then you can consider Marauding Captain, relic of old that has a much stronger effect as it happens at Summon and SS any Level 4 or lower, while Mary is locked to 2 types, being the only advantage of Mary that her effect applies by generic summoning. I'd say she should do her own effect at Summoning, and it'd be better if she was Lv 4

Joseph - Having trouble to determine this card's power, but definitely more powerful than the previous. It's strength lies in the generic of the effect, literally brings every Trap in existence to your field by the price of another dying. I'll leave it at this: Stronk, but perhaps not OP.

The Magi - Umm... Caspar? wasn't it Gaspar or Casper? Well, IDK, sometimes the names are spelled differently depending on origin. Anywho, remember what I said about OP? Here. In this case, the intended balancing factor is, "but the opponent can do it too". Welp, and if your opponent doesn't run Warrior or Spellcasters? Their problem. You can't normally do this because it's just a case of Deck by Deck, so some people will be relieved and some 100% screwed. Meanwhile, if you manage to control 3 or 4 monsters, +4 every turn. And btw, this card has not HOPT (hard once per turn), so if you manage to have 2 copies of this while controlling 3/4 mobs, that's at least that's a +6 or +8 in your Standby Phase while your opponent stays there yearning to have Sword or Wand bearers xD

Shepherds - This is a case of "the flavour of the card is cute, but it has 0 use in the archetype".
Morris: B-B-But this card protects the sheeps!
The sheeps:
754879636567228486.png?v=1

Gabriel - I think there's a a Spell which does this... AH, I remember, Spellbook Organization. There's also Gishki Molusk, but only applies the effect when sent to the GY by card effect, and can send the cards to the bottom as well. My suggestion for this monster: This card is also always treated as a Warrior-Type monster. (note: when talking about mon types, you don't use -Type anymore, BUT, I'm using it here because when talking about multiple Attributes, you use -Attribute, and there is not a single official mon treated as multiple Types, hence I'm copying the structure used by Attributes). Next, despite the cards I mentioned, powercreep is powercreep. I daresay it's fine to adjust this effect to become stronger: Once per turn You can excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck, and if you do, add 1 excavated "Gospeline" monster to your hand, also shuffle the rest into your Deck."

Newborn Saviour - Owww, lil Jesus, cute. Despite being newborn, Level 4, powerful xD. The effect is strong protection, but hey, it's Jesus!

Isaiah - Those stats... sadness :v The effect... I suppose it's fine. Many Witchcrafters Special Summon from Deck by Tributing themselves, but they also cost a Spell discard, while this only requires the self Tribute. Nut make it Level 4, please.

Herrod - I get the flavour behind the effect, but goodness, you wanna commit suicide? xD This is pretty much the opposite to the Magi effect, could has its uses against people running the types required, but it's not gonna happen so often, much less because this effect only applies when attacked, so it's a passive the opponent won't trigger if they're in danger. I suggest another effect that reflects its nasty personality and goals: Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 Warrior or Spellcaster monster you control; draw 1 card. The man is decided to kill anything in order to keep its wealth, sooo...

Gifts - Powerful -> Not very powerful -> Powerful. The balancing factor for Gold and Myrrh is how it has to wait until the End Phase, so the opponent has ways to prevent it. The archetype needs the power, not opposed to them.

Bethlehem - The most valuable card in the set from a real life perspective if the card was official. It supports all Warrior and Spellcasters, and the bonus from the SS'ed monster being Gospeline is essentially negligible for the main support they confer. I have my worries about it, though. Compare it to Valhalla, Halls of the Fallen. Supports a single type of monster, and requires your Monster Zones empty. Pretty big of a disadvantage, though this one is a Continuous Spell. This card is searchable by Terraforming and grants quite the support. It probably needs an adjustment... something like "If your opponent controls more monster than you do etc". This at least keeps more flexibility than Valhalla. Oh, and btw, this lone card doesn't justify the Lv 5s if that was your intention, the opponent gets rid of this card and then what? xD

No Room, get REKT - A fun effect, but weaker than you'd imagine. It'll be hard to keep the field presence advantage, but some archetypes consisting mostly of Level 2 or 3 can be hurt. Problem is, this effect won't stop links or Xyz, and it's only 1 per turn. Not a very strong floodgate, after all.

Whew, I'm done, thanks for making this.

9 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

First of all, pretty nice of you to add the lore of each card, it really adds to the experience of going through the archetype.

Having said that, when you analyze each member of the archetype, it's a rollercoaster in terms of power level, certain effects are slightly OP, some others pretty underwhelming, and some others that you could consider strong but have little to do with the overall strategy/essence of the archetype.

Mary - I believe she can be far more powerful, in every aspect. While its true she can be SS'ed by others, it's pretty inconvenient she's Lv 5, something which surprised me as she has very low stats for a monster of that Level (considering there's stuff out there like Dinomist Rex with 2400/2200. Then you can consider Marauding Captain, relic of old that has a much stronger effect as it happens at Summon and SS any Level 4 or lower, while Mary is locked to 2 types, being the only advantage of Mary that her effect applies by generic summoning. I'd say she should do her own effect at Summoning, and it'd be better if she was Lv 4

Joseph - Having trouble to determine this card's power, but definitely more powerful than the previous. It's strength lies in the generic of the effect, literally brings every Trap in existence to your field by the price of another dying. I'll leave it at this: Stronk, but perhaps not OP.

The Magi - Umm... Caspar? wasn't it Gaspar or Casper? Well, IDK, sometimes the names are spelled differently depending on origin. Anywho, remember what I said about OP? Here. In this case, the intended balancing factor is, "but the opponent can do it too". Welp, and if your opponent doesn't run Warrior or Spellcasters? Their problem. You can't normally do this because it's just a case of Deck by Deck, so some people will be relieved and some 100% screwed. Meanwhile, if you manage to control 3 or 4 monsters, +4 every turn. And btw, this card has not HOPT (hard once per turn), so if you manage to have 2 copies of this while controlling 3/4 mobs, that's at least that's a +6 or +8 in your Standby Phase while your opponent stays there yearning to have Sword or Wand bearers xD

Shepherds - This is a case of "the flavour of the card is cute, but it has 0 use in the archetype".
Morris: B-B-But this card protects the sheeps!
The sheeps:
754879636567228486.png?v=1

Gabriel - I think there's a a Spell which does this... AH, I remember, Spellbook Organization. There's also Gishki Molusk, but only applies the effect when sent to the GY by card effect, and can send the cards to the bottom as well. My suggestion for this monster: This card is also always treated as a Warrior-Type monster. (note: when talking about mon types, you don't use -Type anymore, BUT, I'm using it here because when talking about multiple Attributes, you use -Attribute, and there is not a single official mon treated as multiple Types, hence I'm copying the structure used by Attributes). Next, despite the cards I mentioned, powercreep is powercreep. I daresay it's fine to adjust this effect to become stronger: Once per turn You can excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck, and if you do, add 1 excavated "Gospeline" monster to your hand, also shuffle the rest into your Deck."

Newborn Saviour - Owww, lil Jesus, cute. Despite being newborn, Level 4, powerful xD. The effect is strong protection, but hey, it's Jesus!

Isaiah - Those stats... sadness :v The effect... I suppose it's fine. Many Witchcrafters Special Summon from Deck by Tributing themselves, but they also cost a Spell discard, while this only requires the self Tribute. Nut make it Level 4, please.

Herrod - I get the flavour behind the effect, but goodness, you wanna commit suicide? xD This is pretty much the opposite to the Magi effect, could has its uses against people running the types required, but it's not gonna happen so often, much less because this effect only applies when attacked, so it's a passive the opponent won't trigger if they're in danger. I suggest another effect that reflects its nasty personality and goals: Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 Warrior or Spellcaster monster you control; draw 1 card. The man is decided to kill anything in order to keep its wealth, sooo...

Gifts - Powerful -> Not very powerful -> Powerful. The balancing factor for Gold and Myrrh is how it has to wait until the End Phase, so the opponent has ways to prevent it. The archetype needs the power, not opposed to them.

Bethlehem - The most valuable card in the set from a real life perspective if the card was official. It supports all Warrior and Spellcasters, and the bonus from the SS'ed monster being Gospeline is essentially negligible for the main support they confer. I have my worries about it, though. Compare it to Valhalla, Halls of the Fallen. Supports a single type of monster, and requires your Monster Zones empty. Pretty big of a disadvantage, though this one is a Continuous Spell. This card is searchable by Terraforming and grants quite the support. It probably needs an adjustment... something like "If your opponent controls more monster than you do etc". This at least keeps more flexibility than Valhalla. Oh, and btw, this lone card doesn't justify the Lv 5s if that was your intention, the opponent gets rid of this card and then what? xD

No Room, get REKT - A fun effect, but weaker than you'd imagine. It'll be hard to keep the field presence advantage, but some archetypes consisting mostly of Level 2 or 3 can be hurt. Problem is, this effect won't stop links or Xyz, and it's only 1 per turn. Not a very strong floodgate, after all.

Whew, I'm done, thanks for making this.

Thanks for the feedback! Okay, so I should bring most of them down to Level 4 is the biggest thing I'm hearing. Makes sense. Makes them eligible for their own effects, at least.

The changes to Mary seem logical.

Joseph is probably going to stay the same.

Yeah, the Magi probably should have an HOPT. Might remove the Level and Type requirement for that card in particular.

Shepherds... You're not wrong. I couldn't really think of much for an effect, so I went with that. Not the most useful card in the archetype, but it could work well in other decks I suppose. Then again, maybe the sheep are alright on their own xD

The multitype thing for Gabriel is actually a really good idea, thanks! I also considered giving it an effect that did basically what you're suggesting, but I wondered if it was too much. I suppose not. Let's do that.

Newborn - Yeah. Exactly.

Isaiah - Level 4 it is.

Herod - The idea behind this effect was, from a gameplay standpoint, that you could use something like "DNA Surgery" to wipe out anything your opponent has that's of a lower level. However, I like this new idea too much to not use it, thank you!

Gifts - Glad you like them!

Bethlehem - Your concern is valid, but I feel like the Level restriction and the fact that both players can use it (although still deck-dependent) help somewhat. Either way, the more monsters restriction seems fair.

No Room - You make a good point. I wonder if I should make it ATK-based instead? Like, you have to Tribute monsters with combined ATK greater than or equal to that of the monster your opponent is trying to Summon (Say goodbye to your "Armityle the Chaos Phantasm," "Winged Dragon of Ra" and the like). I should probably remove the OPT too.

Archived