A Super-Hypothetical Fan-Driven Yugioh Reboot and Interest Check

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a suggestion for your Javamancer card. How about instead of its current effect of "target attacks twice per BP this turn", you do something like this?

Once per turn, while you control this Tribute Summoned card: You can target 1 face-up monster on the field; this turn, it can attack once more per BP, after that until your next turn's EP it can attack once less per BP.

^ the idea is that it induces caffeine rush first and then caffeine crash after. It goes +/- 1 in the wording because that way we could stack it with other similarly worded effects. A monster that could already attack a second time affected will go to 3 attacks on the rush and 1 on the crash.

Also, the way I worded it makes it able to force coffee on opponent monsters so their rush time expires during your turn when they couldn't attack anyways, and they suffer from the crash during their own turn.

How about it? xP

Hmm... I think we can work with that. How about this for the two decks we're making:

Caffeine Rush: Focused on protecting and enhancing a deck of low-level monsters through the effects of Tribute monsters and continuous S/T support.

Dawn of Nature: Focused on quickly getting out high-level Tribute monsters and keeping them on the field for use with Matcha Dragon's effect.

Matcha Dragon has this effect (tentatively)

Matcha Dragon

FOREST Level 8

2800/2300

[Ignition-Quick] During the Battle Phase, you can Tribute 1 monster you control: monsters your Opponent controls lose DEF Equal to that monster's ATK until the End Phase.

[Continuous] This monster inflicts Piercing Damage.

This is a little bit more random and probably less productive compared to all the discussion on effects and mechanics that's been going on, but here's a sketchy kinda thing of my attempt at visualizing a coffee themed magician. Also, looked up letters that'd spell Java or Coffee in alphabets typically incorporated in magic circles and spells (Wicca, Enochian, and nordic Runes)

It has a giant spoon with 2 sugar cubes, a hat that dubs as a cream/milk pot, and a barista-like attire because IDK xD
Might take it up to ink and coloring later on.
mFpIA8y.jpg

For when we get to Special Summoning types, I wrote up a little design guide on how we should probably handle the generic ones. When and if we get to specific archetypes or series, we'll have to take care to make sure that specific ones aren't too useful outside what they're meant for. For the generic ones, I want most decks to be able to use generic Special monsters if they want, so what I have here is for those monsters specifically.

Extra Deck monsters, in general, should be more powerful the harder they are to summon and maintain. This difficulty is a measure of the number of materials required, the specificity of those materials, and the access to those materials.

Fusion and Synchro will largely fill the same roles, those being Walls and Beaters. Xyz monsters

Will be supportive at lower, easier ranks, and disruptive at higher ranks, in order to prevent R4nk sp4m omni-negate shenanigans.

Fusion monsters need Fusion spells, Synchro monsters need Tuner monsters, and Xyz monsters need special cards to regulate Xyz Material usage and Rank-ups.

Fusion:

Fusion Monsters should be partially generic. For Generic Fusions, the first material is a semi-specific requirement (for example, 1 Level 6 or higher Beast) and the second may be less specific (1 WATER monster). While there will be specific fusions, we should focus on making generic ones first so that a wider variety of decks can use them. 

Synchro:

Generic Synchro Monsters are generic beaters, typically with high stats or simple continuous and opt ignition effects. Odd-numbered synchros should typically be more useful than even-numbered ones, to make it harder for decks to abuse both Synchro and Xyz. Mid-level Synchros are the easiest to make, and high or low-level are the hardest.

Xyz:

Generic Xyz monsters do not possess continuous effects. They will have effects that require the use of their Xyz materials, and once they’re gone they’re gone. To compensate, Xyz monster’s detach effects will not typically have OPT clauses and will often be very useful. The player will have to use Spell and Trap support to replenish Xyz materials, or summon a second copy. Rank-ups will be done exclusively with Spell effects, never as an alternative summoning condition. If you want that rank 6, you have to use a RUM on a 5, no buts.

Link:

Generic Link Monsters fill an entirely supportive role, utilizing their Link Arrows for support to recover materials, protect or empower specific monsters, and enable Special Summons. Links will have very low stats and rely on your other monsters to protect and recover them. Due to the ease at which Links are Summoned, they will have no inherent self-protection at links less than 3.

Pendulum:

Generic Pendulum Monsters should have levels ranging from around 2-6 and run strategies focused on enabling other summoning types. The name of the game is swarm and combo, and so these monsters should never be large beatsticks that can handle a fight by themselves. Instead, they’ll rely on combo plays and enhancements from their Scales to fight as a team or use themselves as Materials to bring out the monsters that can. High-level monsters meant to work with Pendulums will be regular effect monsters and the player will have to manage resources to recover them if they end up in the Grave.

As a sidenote, thematically it might be cool to make a lot of generic pendulums into either direct Tribute support or direct Normal support, with the Normal Pendulums following a trend of being a combination of two things, and thus showing off the fact that monsters can have two types now.

Ritual:

These cards can be just about anything really. Realistically they should be relatively well-protected, as a combo wall-beatstick, to make up for the large investment needed to summon them. A whole deck of Ritual monsters is out of the question for generics, so their Ritual Spells should have multiple uses as well.

For this first set, we're not planning to add any Extra Deck or Ritual stuff, but this is for future consideration.

I'm far from perfect on this type of thing and I don't want to drown out other people's ideas, so if there's anything here you don't like or wanna add to, please be my guest.

I'll post the progress of the sketch while I reply xP
IDK how much this paper is gonna handle any coloring from my markers and I very much don't like the common socks in the design but I'll see what I can do and if I don't ruin the image on the last bit lol.
ndcBeDh.jpg

I will keep those guides in mind but I get the feeling it'll take reaching the point of actually working on them to really define them. In the specific case of Rituals, I am hoping we can come up with something that can help the mechanic be a little more alive. As it stands right now, Rituals have never really been used without it having to be a "Ritual Deck". Which Ritual Decks are fine but if we could find a way to make them a little more accessible to splash as a mechanic without the effects doing all the heavy lifting, that'd be awesome (If it can't happen well, I guess it is still usable as the IRL game does it, even if not ideal).

15 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

I'll post the progress of the sketch while I reply xP
IDK how much this paper is gonna handle any coloring from my markers and I very much don't like the common socks in the design but I'll see what I can do and if I don't ruin the image on the last bit lol.
ndcBeDh.jpg

I will keep those guides in mind but I get the feeling it'll take reaching the point of actually working on them to really define them. In the specific case of Rituals, I am hoping we can come up with something that can help the mechanic be a little more alive. As it stands right now, Rituals have never really been used without it having to be a "Ritual Deck". Which Ritual Decks are fine but if we could find a way to make them a little more accessible to splash as a mechanic without the effects doing all the heavy lifting, that'd be awesome (If it can't happen well, I guess it is still usable as the IRL game does it, even if not ideal).

I think what weneed to do with rituals is to make them genuinly stand as a boss. THeir main problem is that they are main deck monsters so hard to access, and are mostly weaker than anyxyz/fusion/synchro counter part, take for example odd-eyes. They have the odd-eyes gravity dragon, very good boss, but not worth it and is easy to beat over. THen you have the odd-eyes rebellion dragon or something. Powerful beatstick with good effects and can resummon itself with pend. OP

Odd-Eyes Gravity Dragon isn't the best example. It's not meant to be a boss. You bring it out as a distraction so that your opponent has to either waste resources getting rid of it or live with the effect damage, meanwhile you combine it with Meteorburst, Vortex, and Absolute Dragon to continually revive each other. It's not supposed to be a boss, it's a combo piece, and a damn good one at that. 

Generic Rituals will be absurdly tricky to balance properly, and I think the types of things they should do will become more clear as we codify the types of actions different decks tend to take.

All that being said, if anyone has card suggestions for this first set, please post so we can workshop them together. (On that subject, should we dedicate a thread in the card game workshop specifically for these?)

Hmmm I think workshop here is fine. If anything, I'd like a different thread to post ONLY the stuff that successfully cemented its place into the format, or any official changes being done (after discussing them here). Something to keep track of what's in the card pool and what's just tentative suggestions.

Speaking Rituals: The main issue they have as a generic mechanic is that they drain advantage a bit much. Going for the absolute cheapest you can have, Relinquished as Level 1 will still lose you 1 Tribute and 1 Ritual Spell, on top of the Ritual Spells being nothing but partial pieces of the Summon condition, dead at any other point in the game.

If the mechanic as a whole used the Main Deck as the Ritual equivalent of the Extra Deck (as in, if all Ritual Monsters could naturally be Ritual Summoned "from your hand or Deck") AND the Ritual Spells became generic decent regular spells that simply triggered the Ritual Summon as a bonus like "banish this card from your GY; Ritual Summon by..." We'd still probably not be touching the levels of "this is broken". With the Level 4 or lower Rituals becoming as easy to bring out as a Link 1 would be, and higher Level Rituals still being a similar investment to that of bringing out your typical Level 8 Synchro. Only Rituals being a Main Deck mechanic risks drawing them and wasting the potential advantage of coming from the Deck.

So yeah, there's not a lot going for in terms of Rituals improving without heavily improving every aspect of their Summon protocols.

- - - -

Hmm in terms of what to suggest for a base set(s) here..... Let me suggest stuff that doesn't qualify as the most essential forms of staples. For example: Instead of MST, I wanna suggest "Spell Shattering Arrow" to cover for the face-up Spell removal front, with the chance of punishing overinvestment of them. 
^It is a lamer form of removal but it might open up the door to help us know what other Spells we might design that could interact with it and make it a little more worthwhile in this base deck.

As an equip idea: "Infernoble Arms - Hauteclere"
This can be equipped to any monster, and it gives it 2 effects.
-Either you can make it attack twice per BP but nothing else can attack that turn and the equip itself is destroyed after you use this effect.
-Or if the monster is destroyed while the card was equipped, you destroy 1 card on the field. (punishable by the above removal I suggested).

The double attack effect has the bonus of countering the "caffeine crash" state Javamancer induces.
I think eventually we should replace the card for something worded in a way that can stack with the "caffeine rush" side to a whooping 3 attacks per turn.

I'll leave the suggestions at that until my next post.
Im avoiding with all my might some of the potential ideas. Mainly the ones that revolve around facilitating the Summon of the high level monsters. Which in this case are "Legendary Ocean" making the current Ace a Level 6 WATER with 2500 ATK able to target itself by its own effect.... and Wind-Up Shark that can insta increase its own Level to 5 where it will count as 2 Tributes right away. Not to mention retrievable via "Salvage".... Stuff like that is something I'm trying to not go towards at the moment, if only to help test the Tribute Summon mechanic as is.

On the other hand, I don't know if my ATK stat chart was accepted or not buuuuuut, what do you think about Froztosaurus? Level 6 vanilla WATER with 2600 ATK.

1 hour ago, Sleepy said:

On the other hand, I don't know if my ATK stat chart was accepted or not buuuuuut, what do you think about Froztosaurus? Level 6 vanilla WATER with 2600 ATK.

Seems like prime material for an ICE monster if ever I've seen it.

I think we should focus on the things we want to show off with these two decks.

First: we want to show that Tribute Summons are viable now, so we should probably have one of the decks focus on tributing, and maybe have low-level monsters that get effects off when either the player performs a Tribute Summon or uses that monster as a Tribute, kind of like how some monsters in the actual game get bonuses for being used as Ritual materials.

Second: we should emphasize that battle effects are important in this format, so the second deck could focus on boosting damage with equips and stopping attacks. I'll be damned if I let this format be dominated by thirty-seven forms of removal, and so Battle is the most reliable method.

I like your idea for Javamancer's effect change, but if we do I'd say remove the level restriction since the caffeine crash becomes something of a drawback, and since it can be used on the opponent too, it can be a risky but rewarding weapon. How's this?

[Ignition] Once per turn, you can Target 1 monster that the Turn Player controls (Quick Effect): That Target can make 1 additional attack during its Owner's next Battle Phase, but it cannot Attack during its Owner's next Battle Phase after that.

This will also interact with cards that add additional BPs, just in case we add them. We probably won't anytime soon, but the real game has a couple cards like that and the wording will matter if we ever make it to that point. I'm not making this a hard OTP because a slower format won't be chain-summoning and recycle-summoning enough times to really make it matter. If we find a way to make that combo happen, we've done something wrong.

Given the circumstances, I agree with the dropping of the Level restriction either way for the effect.
Hmm your suggestion gives me an idea. We can go for both variations of the same sorta card, as I think they have enough differences.

-Your effect is quick and chainable, which is a big bonus, but it'll allow the owner of the target to get the benefits no matter what, and in turn also the drawback.
-My version is a slower effect, but it did not allow the opponent's monster it targeted to enjoy the extra attack per battle phase, since by then it would have expired and be in the "tired" mode.

So I was thinking....
Let's go for your idea here, Quick Effect that always lets the monster's owner to get the extra attack effect. Maybe plus a clause for "must attack if able". That way we can also make effects that support that "benefit" on the opponent's side. Stuff like:
[Quick Play Spell]
Target 1 face-up monster on the field; this turn, halve its ATK. Also, it cannot be destroyed by battle each time a monster battles with it for the first time this turn

On the other hand, I think I got a possible variation of this sort of thing. One that works much the same way but instead of gaining/losing an attack per battle phase, one that gains/loses ATK points. This one could have the slower effect type from my version to avoid making them too similar. We'd just have to work on what the base stats would be and the typing differences and stuff like that xP

I do want to give her a smolboy apprentice a la Dark Magician Girl. Was gonna call him Javamancer Apprentice, and I haven't decided on his effect, just that he would have some synergy with Javamancer. Also, I had a concept for a Level 1 monster in the coffee theme who can put Level 7+ monsters from the GY back into the Hand for more Tribute Summoning.

I'm compiling a format codec as we go, I might just need a little help organizing it so it includes everything and is easy to read. I'm going to use PSCT for now until we write down and agree on all the changes for the PSCT2 revisions. Meanwhile, I've started work on some of the cards for both decks. Here's what I have thus far for Javamancer's Deck:

Javamancer

WATER Level 7

Spellcaster/Effect

2300/1400

Once per turn, while you control this Tribute Summoned monster, you can Target 1 Level 6 or lower monster you control: That monster can attack twice per Battle Phase this turn.

Gachapon Fairy

AETHER Level 2

Fairy/Effect

1000/1000

When this monster is Normal Summoned, you can Discard 1 card: excavate the top 10 cards of your Deck and Special Summon 1 Level 5 or Higher monster that was excavated this way, then Shuffle your Deck. If you did not excavate a Level 5 or Higher monster, Draw 1 card.

Truthseer Tortoise

AETHER Level 4

Reptile/Effect

500/1800

When you Normal Summon a monster, you can take from your Deck 1 monster with the Same Level but different Attribute and Add it to your Hand. You cannot Special Summon the added monster or monsters with the same name as the added monster’s until the End Phase.

Gelotter

ICE Level 3

Beast/Effect

1000/300

If your Opponent activates a Trap card, you can Discard 1 card: Negate the effects of that Trap, and set it on its Owner’s side of the Field.

Library Owl

AETHER Level 2

Avian/Effect

300/300

Once per turn, if you control a Spellcaster monster, you can add 1 Spell card from your GY to your Hand.

Clericalcat

AETHER Level 1

Beast-Spellcaster/Effect

100/100

When this monster is Normal Summoned, you can return 1 Level 5 or Higher monster from your GY to your Hand. Also, if you Tribute Summon the chosen monster this turn, it is unaffected by your Opponent’s card Effects until your next Standby Phase.

The words "discard", "opponent", "owner", "effect", and "higher" are not capitalized on their own in card text.
like, you might find a card saying "Monster Card" but the word "monster" by itself is not capitalized. Same with "effect" unless it is "Effect Monster" for some reason.....

Sooo Javamancer still doesn't have the revised effect in your list?

I've got a suggestion for Gachapon Fairy. What do you think of this?
If this card is Normal Summoned: You can discard 1 monster from your hand; excavate cards from the top of your Deck equal to its Level, and add 1 monster among those cards to your hand.

^I took pff the for sure +0 effect of "if you can't, draw 1" but made it so you can add any monster, although the excavated cards are much lower. To be honest, excavating a third of your deck is a bit much and you'd have to be way too unlucky to fail at 10 cards.... 

Truthseer Tortoise can very much target itself. If that is on purpose, I think it is a bit too generic for a Level 4, which is the broadest Level in the game. If it wasn't on purpose, then the way to make it so that it doesn't search itself would be along the lines of:
Once per turn, while this card is face-up on your side of the field, if you Normal Summon a monster:  
Although the way the format has been into Tribute Summons, I'd say the best way to have an effect like this one is to let it trigger off its own Summon, but make it a higher Level monster (something like a Level 5) so it breaks even on the first Summon, without someday searching for generic Level 4s or low Level stuff which are more likely to someday be as necessary somewhere as handtraps IRL. Not to mention Level 5 usually tends to be a crappier alternative to Level 6 when it comes to mid-Level beaters old school, so this card would have an edge there.
I understand the idea is a bit of a radical change so I of course will ask about what you think of the suggestion.

Gelotter overall is not my favorite kind of deal at the moment.
How about we keep it on standby for now until we make a couple Trap Cards? You see the thing is, I'm not super excited about right off the bat going the "negate x effect" route. I mean, it's fiiiiiiiiiine but if we can help it, I'd like it if the card could achieve getting in the way of traps by doing something the Trap effects really wouldn't want to happen in the gamestate. This idea is a lot more short-sighted from a design perspective but while it we are on the base it should prove a bit more fun for this bubble. 
Even as a negation though, it is low stats and a discard for a more Red Reboot-like negation so it really is all loses for momentum in a way that'll bite you back next turn when the effect of the trap becomes live again.... Red Reboot is good in the faster formats where you can say "there won't be a next turn" but huh.... yeah.

Library Owl:
Is Avian the new "Winged Beast"? 
but anyways....  There's a Spellcaster focused theme here that's not being carried over by the other monsters I've seen so far other than Javamancer herself. Fairies, Beasts... This owl has a reason to not be Spellcaster but I hope the grounds of balance are not "because I have very few Spellcasters in the set right now". Eventually there'll be more if we think long run, and eventually an effect might change Types/Attributes on cards so eventually this will be a faster once per turn Magician of Faith.... I know Magician of Faith is basically nothing in today's IRL game but the card was worthy of the list attention it got at mostly any point of the game from 2011 going back. The more generic and good Spells can ever be, the harsher this card will probably be.

I'm gonna suggest sticking to a specific Icon of Spell Card. It can be like a made-up Icon for the sake of this format that only exists to be more recruitable, but as is, gotta keep an eye on it because it is waiting for something to break somewhere.

Clericalcat:
Hmm so "unaffected by card effects" hmmmm?
I'm just gonna say, this one sounds like it was designed to allow this strategy to aspire to survive the current IRL game.
I'm out of juice for suggestions in this post for now. I might come up with something later but would need to see how the rest of my commentary does first. As much as I don't really like to say "IDK about this one" without being productive with a suggestion/idea of my own.

Now to finish this post I'm gonna have to ask:
- So a Magician sidekick that's lower Level for Javamancer.... Soooo a shota for the milf saying "ara ar- shot**
*cough anyways.....

6 cards is a good pace. 

Javamancer: You know, I 100% forgot to update the effect when I posted this, my bad

Truthseer Tortoise: I forgot to make it self-nontargetable and I like your suggestions. I think as we make more cards and get a feel for where the format even is we can adjust as needed, and that goes for all of these. I kinda just wrote down what I thought might be cool as a starting point, these are by no means final.

Gelotter: Yeah big agree, it was something that came to mind and I wanted a way to show an Ice monster doing some freezing.

Library Owl: Yes, Avian is the new Winged-beast. If we're doing two types max for cards, we can't have winged-beast because it overlaps with beast-warrior, which is now two separate types on one card. I've co-opted the hyphen to denote that. Avian felt like the broadest category of winged descriptor I could think of. I didn't make it a Spellcaster so that you have to have another monster out to use the effect in order to make it less abuseable in a non-spellcaster deck. I like the idea of making a new spell type exclusively for recoverable Normal spells, but I'd rather hold off on that for now until it becomes clear we have a lot of spell searchers. Not sure what to do to balance this.

Clericalcat: Yeah idk about this one either. Maybe battle protection would be best for it as a way of preserving important materials for one crucial turn. Again, I took an idea I thought was cool and just wrote it down with the purpose of being refined in workshop. I wanted this to be another card to encourage Tribute Summoning over Special Summons.

Sh*ta Javamancer: Huehuehuehuehue that's funny. I was thinking that yeah, but more in the adorkable apprentice way than a pervy one, kinda like a genderswapped Dark Magicians.

The reason the type is "Winged Beast" is because "Avian" is specifically birds. You have to consider other flying creatures like bats, griffins, gargoyles, etc.

Lots of mythical flying creatures that aren't birds.

By all means, separate the Avians from the Winged Beasts though. After all, Konami separated Psychics from Spellcasters, Wyrms from Dragons, and Cyberse from Machines.

5 hours ago, Horu said:

The reason the type is "Winged Beast" is because "Avian" is specifically birds. You have to consider other flying creatures like bats, griffins, gargoyles, etc.

Lots of mythical flying creatures that aren't birds.

By all means, separate the Avians from the Winged Beasts though. After all, Konami separated Psychics from Spellcasters, Wyrms from Dragons, and Cyberse from Machines.

Avian could mean something that isnt necesarily a bird. anything "Aviary" is something that can fly, so I think the term would work. Also We are planning on making cards with multiple types, so it would create confusion

2 hours ago, Ankh_Dev said:

Avian could mean something that isnt necesarily a bird. anything "Aviary" is something that can fly, so I think the term would work. Also We are planning on making cards with multiple types, so it would create confusion

I was more suggesting the separation because it has been done plenty of times as I pointed out. Also, I said to split it because you have cards that can clearly fit nicely into the Avian category (various bird cards, Harpies, Griffins, etc) and cards that fit nicely into the Winged Beast category ("Tyhone", "Winged Dragon, Guardian of the Fortress #2", various bat cards, etc). So very little confusion. Just re-classing monsters to their proper categories.

2 hours ago, Horu said:

I was more suggesting the separation because it has been done plenty of times as I pointed out. Also, I said to split it because you have cards that can clearly fit nicely into the Avian category (various bird cards, Harpies, Griffins, etc) and cards that fit nicely into the Winged Beast category ("Tyhone", "Winged Dragon, Guardian of the Fortress #2", various bat cards, etc). So very little confusion. Just re-classing monsters to their proper categories.

I see your point so maybe we sj=hould change winged beast to something either wihtout the hyphen or look for a soloution. But avian is a good alternative i think

I don't mind the word Avian... we could also use "Flying" like Pokemon does. 
The important thing from a technical standpoint is that it is a 1 word Type that can get rid of the - sign. I'll leave it to you guys to decide that. I've got not particularly strong feelings on that subject in particular.

Also wanna note that I'll be waiting for the sheets that are being prepared and stuff. Or any other IRL card imports or custom card concepts to be worked on or updated in any way. However, I will have less time this upcoming week. I had a bit more free time this week from work due to half my family testing positive and me waiting for a test result to allow me to make sure everything's a-ok. Tomorrow I'll be back at work though, and will only be around on the afternoons and maybe check without commenting through my lunch breaks.

Not to mention this friday is the deadline for my Fusion contest, and I will not only spend my free time that day making the judgment, but I'll also most likely spend a good chunk of the weekend drawing the prize for the winner.

As of right now I've sorted through my IRL card collection of Yugioh and Pokemon cards, looking for effects I deem interesting that I could twist up/nerf into something less "staple-ish" that is still worth using. I'm re-writing ideas. I'll share one example of what I mean:

There's this card called "Unending Nightmare". It is a Continuous Trap that allows you to pay 1000 LP whenever to destroy face-up Spell/Trap Cards, so long as it is not used more than once in the same chain.
Now this card is waaaaaay too powerful here. It just renders any S/T that needs to be face-up unusable. So I was thinking on nerfing this concept and doing something like this (btw, with another name and flavor... a different card, I'm must grabbing the effect as a starting point):
[Continous Trap]
Once per turn: You can pay 1000 LP to target 1 Continuous, Equip, or Field Spell OR a Continuous Trap on the field; its effect is negated until the end of the turn. 

^Temporary stun, and doesn't do it on ANY face-up because I want normal and quick play cards to not be affected by virtue of this being a chainable effect. This is still not a final version either though even if it is quite weaker than the IRL card. I'm not all that convinced on just "negating". I will be replacing it most likely with doing something else that still manages to be disruptive... but I'll see what I can think of. 

Soooo yeah, that's my update so far.

Archived