Planning new deck (advice request)

cr47t

i've started planning to make a new deck that I actually plan to spend some $ on (planning on an $100 or less build, but if more is neccesary please lemme know how much). The idea is to make an antimeta deck that can stand up to other decks, with an especially trollish result if the opponent is "playing on autopilot" (i.e. decks that effectively build and play themselves, all speed and little strategy, etc. - its felt like that at my locals for years, even before covid) i'm also planning to focus on nerfing the main weaknesses with my other decks; being too slow for the current meta and not having much to do about if an opponent does something devastating before i can get out the win condition (ex. vanity's or majesty's with my current deck).

cards I am currently considering at time of post (haven't checked prices yet);

MONSTERS - Effect Veiler, Fossil Dyna, Inspector Boarder (got one today for a buck)

SPELLS - Moon Mirror Shield, Super Poly

TRAPS - Infinite Impermanence, There Can Be Only One, Waking the Dragon

EXTRA - Last Warrior from Another Planet, Naturia Exterio, Starving Venom Fusion Dragon

i'm particularly excited about using "Waking" and super poly to bring out things like Naturia, Last Warrior and Starving (granted, former + last warrior can only be accessed through waking, so i am interested in more accessable-via-superpoly fusions), but i am a bit unsure about fossil dyna (just seems a bit obstructive given the special-ing i may need to do), infinite impermanence (would want that or effect veiler, and i'm leaning toward latter), Only One (similar problem as dyna), and last warrior - i want to make a build that has an advantage in/against the meta but also relatively fast and with cards that can play off eachother in an attempt to reduce bricking.

if anyone has thoughts or advice, please share them, whether they be about budget, cards to add or remove from wishlist, or strategies with said cards, anything goes as long as it isn't mean.

For me, it's kinda difficult to suggest a specific deck without exactly knowing what your locals are like.

Given the budget and your intention, it sounds like you'd ideally want a deck that wants to go first (the more powerful handtraps are out of budget range), but works under your own Stun/slowdown effects. I really don't think full Stun is the way to go though. If your locals players play currently tiered archetypes, all of them have ways to get around common Stun cards (Swordsoul + Striker have backrow-based removal options, Flunder doesn't Special Summon, Shaddoll variants have Schism to break boards, Brave Token can beat over monsters with Stun effects, etc.).

Instead, I'd probably suggest some kind of pseudo-Stun. Floodgates like Gozen Match, Rivalry of Warlords, There Can be Only One, etc. can be built around but can also completely shut down certain decks in the right situation. Think about the types of decks you see at locals, choose the appropriate floodgate, and you can probably find a nice cheap deck to build around that floodgate.

If you do end up going second/wanting to go second and your locals has a lot of Verte plays, then Super Poly > Starving Venom is probably your best bet. Aside from that... You sound like you'd probably enjoy using Mystic Mine xD 

8 hours ago, Lazarus IV said:

For me, it's kinda difficult to suggest a specific deck without exactly knowing what your locals are like.

Given the budget and your intention, it sounds like you'd ideally want a deck that wants to go first (the more powerful handtraps are out of budget range), but works under your own Stun/slowdown effects. I really don't think full Stun is the way to go though. If your locals players play currently tiered archetypes, all of them have ways to get around common Stun cards (Swordsoul + Striker have backrow-based removal options, Flunder doesn't Special Summon, Shaddoll variants have Schism to break boards, Brave Token can beat over monsters with Stun effects, etc.).

Instead, I'd probably suggest some kind of pseudo-Stun. Floodgates like Gozen Match, Rivalry of Warlords, There Can be Only One, etc. can be built around but can also completely shut down certain decks in the right situation. Think about the types of decks you see at locals, choose the appropriate floodgate, and you can probably find a nice cheap deck to build around that floodgate.

If you do end up going second/wanting to go second and your locals has a lot of Verte plays, then Super Poly > Starving Venom is probably your best bet. Aside from that... You sound like you'd probably enjoy using Mystic Mine xD 

just looked up mystic mine and im actually kind of thrown off that i never saw this against yosenju or burn deck because it would make perfect sense in one; in a more risky combo i could also see it used in conjunction with lava golem

to clarify my intention with the deck - it's not meant to be particularly stun, but it is true that a particularly appealing concept (to me) is finding ways to react to opponent plays that not only counters them but (at least a good portion of the time) actually causes said plays to backfire (e.g. super poly + starving against slower dark-attribute decks, or waking the dragon for s/t removal (which i have had a particularly hard time dealing with or dealing out)). it's meant to be kind of trollish against autopilot play, encouraging the opponent to start introducing some more (however small an amount) strategy into how they play against it, which i think would make for more fun matches.. point is, i'm trying to avoid getting steamrolled every match every week and hoping to have more evenly matched matches (sorry for pun).

as for the specific advice, i don't know what to say - the issue with building decks around certain cards is when you can't get those win condition cards, your play is basically stunned, which happens to me all the time; as a result i'm growing numb to YGO itself, and i think this is my best bet to reverse that effect it's having on me. with that in mind;

i think the deck should, whether going first or second, not be based around two or three cards, but could work in a variety of ways depending on what's drawn. it could have 2 win conditions, a) backfire opponent's usual combos in order to make my own, but also i want the deck to allow for b) a less passive, more taking-the-initiative kind of play when a backfire isn't possible at the moment. i know this paragraph so far sounds like something every YGO playet wants to do, and i think it is, but it's a particular problem for me as, perhaps due to a combination of deckbuilding and slow play, i often can't get the specific win condition cards out in time (i.e. i get vanity's/majesty's out when an opponent has a counter trap set or a monster with higher atk; not to mention effects as i actually can't get march of the monarchs out before game's over)

does this help at all?

EDIT: this is just an idea, if it could be a large hinder lemme know so i dont do it, but i'm thinking perhaps, with main deck monsters, go for some DARK or LIGHT types, particularly; with DARKs i imagine mask change 2 + dark law would work if starving venom can't be gotten out, or with LIGHTs there's always honest, rai-oh and probably some other stuffs. it does seem that anti-meta chaos decks are kind of a thing and actually able to make a go-second initative. thoughts?

Archived