Parallel Summon

Problamatico

10 minutes ago, Problamatico said:

What do you mean?

"Select a word in its card name"

You know this will allow for different targets, sometimes more, sometimes less, based on whether or not your cards are all in one of English, Portuguese, German, Japanese, and that if you mix languages, it gets more janky. "Time Wizard of Tomorrow" doesn't even have "Time Wizard" in its name in Japanese.  In German, "Dark Magician" and "Dark Calling" do not share the same word for "Dark". 

8 hours ago, DifferentDimensionVanessa said:

"Select a word in its card name"

You know this will allow for different targets, sometimes more, sometimes less, based on whether or not your cards are all in one of English, Portuguese, German, Japanese, and that if you mix languages, it gets more janky. "Time Wizard of Tomorrow" doesn't even have "Time Wizard" in its name in Japanese.  In German, "Dark Magician" and "Dark Calling" do not share the same word for "Dark". 

Ah. Yh that would be quite unique. 

I have 2 suggestions for this janky concept:
-That you cannot Summon a card with the exact name as the target (extra copies)
-That you cannot choose a preposition... as in, you cannot choose the red words in these samples:
 Dark Magician of Chaos
Tour Guide from the Underworld
Left Leg of the forbidden One

I'd even go as far as to suggest the names only have the 1 selected word in common.... 

- - - -

All in all, a Special Summon from the Deck is still a pretty strong thing to do even after these suggestions, this is like a stronger "Last Will". So the janky spirit is there and I like the concept for the fun of it, but the balance of the card still needs a little something....  nothing comes to mind but it definitely needs something xD

On 11/29/2022 at 1:26 AM, Sleepy said:

All in all, a Special Summon from the Deck is still a pretty strong thing to do even after these suggestions, this is like a stronger "Last Will". So the janky spirit is there and I like the concept for the fun of it, but the balance of the card still needs a little something....  nothing comes to mind but it definitely needs something xD

Maybe returning the first targeted monster to the hand?

6 minutes ago, Lone mouse said:

Maybe we could make this card similar to how the gladiator beast work where they get shuffled into the deck to summon out the new monster

that would greatly limit the power of the card but the more I think about it, it is quick effect interaction and an exchange of body with a high ceiling I think that may be what this card needs. (at that point you can drop the LP cost)

3 minutes ago, Loleo said:

that would greatly limit the power of the card but the more I think about it, it is quick effect interaction and an exchange of body with a high ceiling I think that may be what this card needs. (at that point you can drop the LP cost)

It would be a -1 in card advantage right -2 for the card itself and the monster then +1 for  the summoned monster also their could be some weird interactions if you returned to hand like in trickstars for example (do agree at that point get rid of the lp cost)

9 minutes ago, Lone mouse said:

It would be a -1 in card advantage right -2 for the card itself and the monster then +1 for  the summoned monster also their could be some weird interactions if you returned to hand like in trickstars for example (do agree at that point get rid of the lp cost)

It would but the biggest pluss is getting to proc on summon effects during your opponent's turn or swapping really small awful cards out that are useless after using their effects into something devastating.

In all honesty, 1000 LP as the LP cost has never really mattered much. The card could have no cost and the balance in terms of what it does would have been much the same. Early to mid-game it might as well not exist, so I don't mind if you keep that bit or not.

Even if it was a more absurd amount like "you lose LP equal to the combined ATK of the target and the Summoned monster" (at which point it'd need to go at the end of the effect like Soul Charge does it and no longer be "pay" because there wouldn't be an in-game way to confirm the amount prior to it resolving), it'd still be as useful, with the only result being not being able to easily use this a second or third time, which matters not in a fast pace game where the early turns decide the game more often than not.

Shuffling the target into the Deck or placing it on the bottom of the Deck would be a good drawback, but don't do it as a "cost" because making getting it negated AND losing the target anyways would be a potentially unacceptable risk for players. As long as it is part of the effect, it is gonna be good. It has the additional drawback that it fizzles any effect of the monster returning to the Deck iirc. If it instead was moved in a way that placed it on the GY or banished, you'd be able to use this card to have the monster "dodge" negation like Skill Drain by abandoning the field before resolution, so BECAUSE it would go to the Deck, the rules give it a full on fizzle.

It is still pretty chainable and flexible with a wide arrange of targets so it'd be worth it, even at the downside of losing the first monster I think.....

Archived