I remade a bunch of Iron Chain cards

Marslaven

It's no secret that Iron Chain is one of my favorite archetypes because there aren't a lot of them that focus on milling the opponent out. Just in general, I like decks that play around with the deck. So I decided to write erratas/updates for them (except for coil because that is unsalvagable and snake because it's fine as it is imo) because they lowkey suck.

[Iron Chain Dragon]

Level 6 /  EARTH

Dragon / Synchro / Effect

1300 ATK / 2600 DEF

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can Special Summon one Level 4 or lower "Iron Chain" monster from your GY. At the end of your turn, If this card did not attack, banish the top 3 cards of your opponent's deck face-down.

IronChainDragon.thumb.jpeg.9be3edebba2cf3366f4f7b0b719883a4.jpeg

[Iron Chain Repairman]

Level 4 / EARTH

Warrior / Effect

1800 ATK / 1200 DEF

You can Special Summon up to 2 Level 4 or lower "Iron Chain" monsters from your Graveyard, except "Iron Chain Repairman". This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect. At the end of your turn, if this card did not attack, you can banish the top 2 cards of your opponent's deck face down. You can only use the first "Iron Chain Repairman" effect once per turn. 

IronChainRepairman(1).thumb.jpeg.3ccfea85d85df4434ce4be1722b0162d.jpeg

[Iron Chain Blaster}

Level 2 / EARTH

Machine / Effect

1400 ATK / 0 DEF

You can discard 1 "Iron Chain" card from your hand to inflict 300 damage to your opponent and banish the top 2 cards of your opponent's deck face-down. You can use this effect of "Iron Chain Blaster" once per turn, and only once. 

IronChainBlaster.thumb.jpeg.28f07707a74ee4c610db7c344cd72859.jpeg

[Binding Chain (Poison Chain)] 

Continuous Spell

During the End Phase of your turn, if you did not attack, you can make your opponent banish cards face-down equal to the number of face-up "Iron Chain" monsters you control from the top of their Deck.

BindingChain.thumb.jpeg.679a0947d2f2518068b07ad0d0d25a0f.jpeg

I also have new stuff for Iron Chain that I would like to showcase but I would like feedback on the new direction I'm going with this first so I can make changes. 

• Like 1

Man, Iron Chain.. Definitely one of the worst archetypes in the game, but their focus on burn and mill instead of battle definitely made 'em stick out.

Overall, I'd say the buffs are pretty reasonable for the current game. Banishing instead of milling seems to be necessary for any mill-focused strat.

I'd say that my biggest complaint is that the deck runs too similar to Runick. Both are big banish mill decks and neither care about attacking. Iron Chain doesn't have a field spell either, so there isn't any interference with running both strats together.

On the other hand, I do like how these retrains make Iron Chain a combo mill deck rather than a control mill deck. With a little setup, Iron Chain Dragon into De-Synchro can easily give you 3 Iron Chain Dragons: Milling a quarter of the opponent's deck.

I definitely would like to see more members added to the IC crew to make the combos a bit more consistent! Maybe a Level 2 Tuner so that summoning Iron Chain Dragon is easier within the archetype?

On 8/14/2023 at 3:33 AM, Tinkerer said:

Man, Iron Chain.. Definitely one of the worst archetypes in the game, but their focus on burn and mill instead of battle definitely made 'em stick out.

Overall, I'd say the buffs are pretty reasonable for the current game. Banishing instead of milling seems to be necessary for any mill-focused strat.

I'd say that my biggest complaint is that the deck runs too similar to Runick. Both are big banish mill decks and neither care about attacking. Iron Chain doesn't have a field spell either, so there isn't any interference with running both strats together.

On the other hand, I do like how these retrains make Iron Chain a combo mill deck rather than a control mill deck. With a little setup, Iron Chain Dragon into De-Synchro can easily give you 3 Iron Chain Dragons: Milling a quarter of the opponent's deck.

I definitely would like to see more members added to the IC crew to make the combos a bit more consistent! Maybe a Level 2 Tuner so that summoning Iron Chain Dragon is easier within the archetype?

They may not be effective as an archetype, but IIRC Iron Chain Dragon was good on release for being a generic Level 6 Synchro with whooping 2500 ATK and as a Rare card it was relatively accesible, also decks did not benefit from milling as much back then.

Meanwhile, Repairman + Coil were akin to a 1-card Synchro 7 so they got better over time and could be played as an engine. Heck, I have the vage memory of seeing them splashed in a modern combo deck so they could have some use even today.

Anyway, not a big fan of these changes. The edit on Iron Chain Dragon takes away its most notable trait, which was beating with 2500 ATK on a generic Synchro 6. Instead, it makes it itno a Synchro or Link ladder byreviving Coil and becoming a Synchro 9.

Blaster effect is easier to trigger but dropping a hard OPT is nasty. I get it is for preventing FTKs/OTKs but if Iron Chains want to burn, then IMO they should be good at it.

Binding Chain a a minor upgrade. In makes so he milled cards are harder to be taken advantage from, but remains slow and situational.

The only good one is Repairman simply because now it revives 2 instead of 1, and it was already decent by reviving 1.