Who said that life points matter?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok Atem' date=' I hereby retract any implications I have made about your arrogance. I unfortunately made the mistake of generalizing, and as I look back can recognize no act by you that I would perceive as arrogant.

This does still stand to an extent for Crab. Just to keeps things clear here, I'm going to post a working definition of arrogance. (Merriam-Webster.)

Main Entry:
   ar·ro·gance Listen to the pronunciation of arrogance
Pronunciation:
   \ˈer-ə-gən(t)s, ˈa-rə-\ 
Function:
   noun 
Date:
   14th century

: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

Frankly, I consider Crab to be quite overbearing at times. This is also the only form of arrogance that could possibly be applied to you, though if so, it is negligible.

As Anchor Remix previously stated, Crab Helmet has an unfortunate habit of making one-liners such as *you fail* that, though correct in their essence, do not provide sufficient data to actually prove the failure. In these circumstances, I would assume that Crab Helmet holds such a truth to be self-evident, and is only himself reiterating said truth. In this case, he is making the assumption that such a truth is self-evident, rather than spending the time to prove his view. Taking the time to prove your point not only simply helps the one who failed, by aiding them in avoiding that failure in the future, but also just makes you come across friendlier.

That being said, I have no real problem with Crab Helmet's unsupported (in the post) assertions, because they are rarely, if ever, directed at me. Still, I think he could improve in this area. As could many members of this forum.

I now regret my word choice in my earlier post when I said illusion. I meant to convey that it is not rightness itself which can lead to arrogance, but simply the belief in your rightness. Be it real or illusory, it doesn't really matter. Also, my entire argument was a hypothetical response to your earlier post, with no lines necessarily being drawn between what I stated and this situation, though I did float a bit into the area of justifying the belief in Crab Helmet's arrogance. I believe I outlined that justification reasonably well above, so I will not repeat myself.

While you are correct in stating that arrogance being a mild or strong negative is a subjective point, I will simply say that I am more strongly repelled by a person who comes across to me as arrogant than I am about a person who comes across as blatantly ignorant. I will tell you that I hold knowledge in high esteem, so I dislike arrogance rather strongly. However, it is important to note the difference between ignorance and stupidity. One who does not know can be taught. The same is not true for one who just denies logic. This leads into my other point of there being things much worse than arrogance. I would strongly prefer knowing someone who may be arrogant but is intelligent, than I would someone who is relatively unassuming but outright dumb. Unfortunately, stupidity seems to go hand in hand with with the illusion of correctness. Many stupid people are overbearing and arrogant in addition to their lack of intelligence. A stupid or illogical person who thinks he can't be wrong is just about the worst combination out there.

I was merely stating dominance and superiority as alternate routes to arrogance.

Good for you, you're careful about what you say. I unfortunately tend not to follow that convention, though I try.

[/quote']

>_> No. You fail. <_<

Ok Atem' date=' I hereby retract any implications I have made about your arrogance. I unfortunately made the mistake of generalizing, and as I look back can recognize no act by you that I would perceive as arrogant.

This does still stand to an extent for Crab. Just to keeps things clear here, I'm going to post a working definition of arrogance. (Merriam-Webster.)

Main Entry:
Pronunciation:
   \ˈer-ə-gən(t)s, ˈa-rə-\ 
Function:
   noun 
Date:
   14th century

: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

Frankly, I consider Crab to be quite overbearing at times. This is also the only form of arrogance that could possibly be applied to you, though if so, it is negligible.

As Anchor Remix previously stated, Crab Helmet has an unfortunate habit of making one-liners such as *you fail* that, though correct in their essence, do not provide sufficient data to actually prove the failure. In these circumstances, I would assume that Crab Helmet holds such a truth to be self-evident, and is only himself reiterating said truth. In this case, he is making the assumption that such a truth is self-evident, rather than spending the time to prove his view. Taking the time to prove your point not only simply helps the one who failed, by aiding them in avoiding that failure in the future, but also just makes you come across friendlier.

That being said, I have no real problem with Crab Helmet's unsupported (in the post) assertions, because they are rarely, if ever, directed at me. Still, I think he could improve in this area. As could many members of this forum.

I now regret my word choice in my earlier post when I said illusion. I meant to convey that it is not rightness itself which can lead to arrogance, but simply the belief in your rightness. Be it real or illusory, it doesn't really matter. Also, my entire argument was a hypothetical response to your earlier post, with no lines necessarily being drawn between what I stated and this situation, though I did float a bit into the area of justifying the belief in Crab Helmet's arrogance. I believe I outlined that justification reasonably well above, so I will not repeat myself.

While you are correct in stating that arrogance being a mild or strong negative is a subjective point, I will simply say that I am more strongly repelled by a person who comes across to me as arrogant than I am about a person who comes across as blatantly ignorant. I will tell you that I hold knowledge in high esteem, so I dislike arrogance rather strongly. However, it is important to note the difference between ignorance and stupidity. One who does not know can be taught. The same is not true for one who just denies logic. This leads into my other point of there being things much worse than arrogance. I would strongly prefer knowing someone who may be arrogant but is intelligent, than I would someone who is relatively unassuming but outright dumb. Unfortunately, stupidity seems to go hand in hand with with the illusion of correctness. Many stupid people are overbearing and arrogant in addition to their lack of intelligence. A stupid or illogical person who thinks he can't be wrong is just about the worst combination out there.

I was merely stating dominance and superiority as alternate routes to arrogance.

Good for you, you're careful about what you say. I unfortunately tend not to follow that convention, though I try.

[/quote']

>_> No. You fail. <_<

I lol'd. Might sig this...

Main Entry:
Pronunciation:
   \ˈer-ə-gən(t)s, ˈa-rə-\ 
Function:
   noun 
Date:
   14th century

[/quote']

>_> No. You fail. <_<

I lol'd. Might sig this...

You'll have no space.

Archived