Should we abolish religion?

Willieh

Determinism is a part of atheism. If you believe in free will and you're an atheist' date=' you're a retard. Hate to put it bluntly, but any way to think about anything that makes sense should be promoted, unless something else that it would contradict makes more sense.

[/quote']

They are related, but there are still some slight nuances. I agree with the other parts, though.

@ Bloodrun: This thread is supposed to be about whether it would be benefiiciary if religion was abolished or not and not about the existence of a god or any other higher force.

I intended to post a developed statement on my view on that matter, but I guess I won't have enough time today, so all I'm going to tell for now is that I am a deist, so that should already explain a part of my mentality.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Determinism is a part of atheism. If you believe in free will and you're an atheist' date=' you're a retard. Hate to put it bluntly, but any way to think about anything that makes sense should be promoted, unless something else that it would contradict makes more sense.

[/quote']

They are related, but there are still some slight nuances. I agree with the other parts, though.

@ Bloodrun: This thread is supposed to be about whether it would be benefiiciary if religion was abolished or not and not about the existence of a god or any other higher force.

I intended to post a developed statement on my view on that matter, but I guess I won't have enough time today, so all I'm going to tell for now is that I am a deist, so that should already explain a part of my mentality.

No, if you're an atheist, there is no excuse. Free will is just like religion, an excuse to hide in because you can't accept that the Holocaust was inevitable.

Guys would you please read everything I post?

Determinism is a part of atheism.
-->They are related' date=' but there are still some slight nuances.

If you believe in free will and you're an atheist, you're a retard.

Hate to put it bluntly, but any way to think about anything that makes sense should be promoted, unless something else that it would contradict makes more sense.

-->I agree with the other parts, though.

Alright? I'm sorry if I didn't express myself clearly enough then-___-

Give it a couple decades buddy. You will know my name before your life ends.

Wait... that doesn't work. You know my name. >.<

Unless i find out your a dictator, such as high as Hitler, kill at least 3/4 of the worlds population, you will find it hard to destroy religion. Even then, if people do hail your work... thats also called a religion, so you will have to kill your colleges and stuff

Sort of impossible to do but the rate of religious people is slowly decreasing. Probably by at least the year 2500, there will only be a few religious groups alive

But then again, killing religion is like killing tobacco smokers, let it slowly die out. It cannot be stopped in an instant

I believe that different people have different opinions & beliefs & the system should allow religion as long it does not threaten global safety.

That sounded so American.

Freedom of Religion is a mistake. People should not be allowed to be wrongfully deceived. It is their right to know the truth' date=' and for their children to know the truth, and for their children to be raised to think intelligently, based on logic and reason, and not on outdated emotions like hope and faith. Mental Weakness [u']shall be... Eliminated[/u]

but every single drive is based on one's emotions.Therefore,religion is allowed as long as someone believes in it.

Is it? Is it really? Do you ever do things simply for spite? Do you think about killing people? Do you think its wrong to kill people? Would you kill yourself? Like now? Please? PLEASE? OR, can you try to use some level of Grammar when you address me? No? Fine.

HUMAN BEINGS ARE WORTHLESS, THEIR DRIVES MEAN NOTHING TO WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE TO BELIEVE. THEY ARE SELFISH MONSTERS THAT SHOULD BE SLAVES TO THE SOCIETY THAT OWNS THEM, AND NO OTHER HUMAN HAS THE RIGHT TO BENEFIT FROM ANOTHER. THEY SHOULD ONLY BENEFIT EACH OTHER, AS EQUALS, AS WORTHLESSNESS THAT EXIST A MENIAL EXISTENCE BECAUSE IN THE END, THATS WHAT IT IS ANYWAY.

You want the truth. I know you do. Well sir, you got it. Nihilistic Drama Queen, putting down his fellow man equally.

@ Raven.

If anything I typed seemed... rude, per say. I'm in a rather bad mood, don't take a distasteful reply the wrong way.

@ Azuh.

Forget Hitler. He failed and tried to kill Jews before Muslims.

[/quote']

@ Static: Thank you, as i am now, going to try and top that.

@ Raven:

did you not read my statement?

it was totally for getting rid of such crap as religion

as, trying to invade peoples minds with this useless crap, is what is killing america.

why do we go to war?

"becuase the constituion, says, that a free land is one that god roams free, is one that god prooves useful"

i mean what the hell, what kind of government, bases there rules on something thats so full of crap, i mean seriously.

dont do that, thats wrong, jesus said lets love one another, and a people, like happy happy fairy land.

wrongo, biznit.

thats not how our world works

thats not how it will ever work.

god said, love your neighbor as you would like to be treated,

my arse, come on now. you have people dis owning gays what the hell is that sheet?

god said, that every man is equal, but, hes gonna turn around and say that, gays are evil and horrible?

how can you worship crap like that?

Guys would you please read everything I post?

Determinism is a part of atheism.
-->They are related' date=' but there are still some slight nuances.

If you believe in free will and you're an atheist, you're a retard.

Hate to put it bluntly, but any way to think about anything that makes sense should be promoted, unless something else that it would contradict makes more sense.

-->I agree with the other parts, though.

Alright? I'm sorry if I didn't express myself clearly enough then-___-

How does Religion make sense? You make it sound like that's the only thing stopping the world going into Anarchy. But then again you take away Religion and there will always be Cults who believe in the greater good. You can't just take it away.

I Dont Remember Saying that Eli...

YOUR FAKE QUOTE IS A LIE

:P

EDIT

@ Azuh.

Im not talking about Hitler in general

Im talking about as "well known" as him, as a dictator

I Dont Remember Saying that Eli...

YOUR FAKE QUOTE IS A LIE

:P

EDIT

@ Azuh.

Im not talking about Hitler in general

Im talking about as "well known" as him' date=' as a dictator

[/quote']

Meh, once America FIXES IT SYSTEM, and gives the President more power, perhaps something will get done. Who knows, maybe I'll be the one to do it :)

how can you worship crap like that?

Did I ever say I would worship crap like that?

god said' date=' that every man is equal, but, hes gonna turn around and say that, gays are evil and horrible?[/quote']

God never "said" anything, the humans made those things up.

How does Religion make sense? You make it sound like that's the only thing stopping the world going into Anarchy

Oh really, where did I say that?

For myself, I wasn't talking about the main religions, but I'm more inclined to philosophical thoughts.

Anyways... back on topic...

I go to a catholic school' date=' and this pic tells the right story

[img']

Now Discuss

Azuh

as much as i agree with the Epicness of that pic

this is a rather young persons forum

and that is really um, how you say, detailed?

Ok

for all those people who are for religion

God isn't real' date=' he has and never will be

don't go and try and tell me that has existed and he will back to save us, blah blah blah

cuz it aint happened no matter what the hell you do.

"God" is fake, a made up story

to help people like you, who could not normally go on with normal everyday lives, so you could use him as an excuse.

as a way to think that your pathetic live if worth living for.[/quote']

You cannot point this out as an undeniable truth, because there is no proof. This is your belief against those of religious people. If the non-existance of God had already been proven, there would be no religion. As it stands, however, you cannot prove that God exists, and you cannot prove otherwise either.

Your opinion is not a fact, so you shouldn't pass it off as such. ;)

Anyways... back on topic...

I go to a catholic school' date=' and this pic tells the right story

[img']http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa143/ReverendRedScar/ReligionMotivationalPoster.jpg[/img]

Now Discuss

That pic is LOLZ.

Ok

don't go and try and tell me that has existed and he will back to save us, blah blah blah

to help people like you, who could not normally go on with normal everyday lives, so you could use him as an excuse.

as a way to think that your pathetic live if worth living for.

[/quote']

NUFF SAID.

Ok

You cannot point this out as an undeniable truth, because there is no proof. This is your belief against those of religious people. If the non-existance of God had already been proven, there would be no religion. As it stands, however, you cannot prove that God exists, and you cannot prove otherwise either.

my opinion is fact

the story of god has been proven insufficient and lies

watch the history channel

the story of god was created, by a town, that was helped by a rich king, across the sea

where he had come to save them with a ship, when there river over floaded

oh, and life?

its been proven, that your god sucks at creating life, and that god didnt create life -.-"

Dude. Without the Debates section, YCM would be never complete :P

You know what I believe? I think Earth has been visites by aliens numerous times. Or maybe, just once.

Also I believe that religion did a good job for world's develompent. Ie, without the crusades, would the world be better? I don't think so.

Religion is a guideline for some people to live with. A form of belief. There are so many other things that share this with religion, so we should abandon them all?

Also, if someone is feeling like nuking me, PM me for the adress :)

Ok

Wrong. THe reason people have not accepted that god does not exist is because they are too ignorant to do so. Our leaders, and our society rather, has kept ignorance to be a part of human life, a part of us, and for most people, this ignorance stems from childhood comforts such as religion and Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches. The difference between Religion and these delicious sandwiches is that PBJ does a lot less harm to society than religion does, but yet provides the same comfort to the holder/consumer of said comfort as the other would.

It is obvious that god does not exist. It has been proven, people are just too blind to accept it.

When something DOES NOT MAKE SENSE, YOU ARE OBLIGATED TO IGNORE FAITH AND BE SMART, and choose to not believe in it. Otherwise is ignorant and proves you are a weak sheltered individual.

@ Oldmaster, lucky that bit about Islam is sarcastic, and I like you, or else you'd look like what I would do to a Palestinian child if they threw a rock at someone I knew.

Sorta like this

th_kid.jpg

my opinion is fact

the story of god has been proven insufficient and lies

watch the history channel

the story of god was created' date=' by a town, that was helped by a rich king, across the sea

where he had come to save them with a ship, when there river over floaded

oh, and life?

its been proven, that your god sucks at creating life, and that god didnt create life -.-"

[/quote']

The existance of God is insufficient because you cannot prove He exists. For the exact same reason, so is trying to prove that he doesn't. Lack of arguments on both sides. Lies have been explained, as have contradictions: the book by which the story of God is told, the Bible, was written thousands of years ago. I do not believe people back then would understand Darwinism - neither the writer nor the readers. Most of the Old Testament, miracles described, Adam and Eve, the Ark, are well known to have never happened. However, it was a way of explaining things people didn't understand.

The problem with most atheists is that... they bash religion when they should be pointing their finger at the religious institutions. I'm a Catholic because I believe in the fundamental messages of the religion I chose. I don't have to agree with the Vatican's opinions, most of them I disagree with. I also despise such entities as the Inquisition and other misguided fools and fundamentalists. Standing against the use of condom, the active role of the woman in the Church and other perfectly acceptable situations are also subjects in which I disagree with the religious authorities. But I'm still a Christian because of the principles I believe in.

I don't believe in Hell... In my opinion, Heaven and Hell are another example of time-bound metaphors that hold no validity on light of today's knowledge. But to say that religion must be killed strikes me as... misdirected bitterness.

Are you mad at religious people because they believe in free will, they believe in the word of a man that died over 2000 years ago and they believe people should be kind and understanding toward one another? Or are you mad because the people in charge are traditionalist morons who are too afraid of the fires of Hell to try and adapt religion to modern reality? Believers nowadays aren't necessary blind, oblivious dreamers who should be slapped out of their stupor and wake up to reality... most are perfectly aware of reality, and only follow a specific set of values and beliefs that does not hinder the society - if only, they're aiming to be better people, and I see no reason why someone should be against that. The ones who do believe in the Bible word by word are either the aforementioned fundamentalists, by which no religion should be generally judged, or the elderly, who do not contribute to the society anyway so whatever they believe in is inconsequential.

@ Static: "When something DOES NOT MAKE SENSE, YOU ARE OBLIGATED TO IGNORE FAITH AND BE SMART" - agreed. What I don't agree is that you hold all christians to be ignorant and weak sheltered individuals. Catholic Schools are ridiculous, borderline criminal and serve the exact opposite purpose of the one they were created for. The mentality of the Vatican is old-fashioned and inadequate in today's society. But that cannot be applied to every single believer of today's society because, like I said, many are realistic enough to adapt their beliefs to our reality.

(side note: debating pushes my english knowledge to the extreme in terms of vocabulary, and seeing as it's not my native tongue, you'll have to excuse some misplaced expressions and words. Thanks. ;))

Willie Adler, you are the heck of a debated.Always bringing THE topics......

Well, yes, I think it should be made.I agreee with Clariex, that would solve lots of fight problems, but at the same time, I agree with Raviel Priest WHYE, it can be allowed, as long as it doesn't affect the other people.

What a hard question, man!!XD

(side note: debating pushes my english knowledge to the extreme in terms of vocabulary' date=' and seeing as it's not my native tongue, you'll have to excuse some misplaced expressions and words. Thanks. ;))

[/quote']

I also love how you have better grammar than most of the Native English speakers on this site anyway. Good Show! :)

(side note: debating pushes my english knowledge to the extreme in terms of vocabulary' date=' and seeing as it's not my native tongue, you'll have to excuse some misplaced expressions and words. Thanks. ;))

[/quote']

I also love how you have better grammar than most of the Native English speakers on this site anyway. Good Show! :)

I second this.

To be honest I don't care about religion. Even if we unite, there will be always heretics and new religions will be formed.

So, it's a loop IMO.

Crap i've missed a lot.

Oldmaster, you can never tell that the world could have been worse if the crusades were never there or that religion helped in the past. We may never know what would have happened if religion wasn't in the early times, in fact i believe that if religion didn't exist then people wouldn't have been divided between Christians, Muslims and Hindus in the first place which would have meant less stupid religious genes and also no discrimination between people that exist now because there was no reason for them to hate each other in the first place. Also the last part about Islam wasn't funny.

As for the rest i'll respond later ;)

Religion in my opinion, is the basic believes of persons that want to believe in something and have the right too. No one should try to actually "stop" them from believing, as that is inhuman. People naturally want to believe in something, its in our nature for us to hope for something and believe in it. Though religions may be taken to far, most people are just trying to find stuff that they can trust that will make them happy. Religion is not always that bible and Jesus stuff, religion can also be a skateboarding religion perhaps, something you enjoy doing and put all of your effort into.

Archived