Charizard or Blaziken?

Dad

Who would win in a battle between:  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who would win in a battle between:

1, Charizard is far from one the best Fire types.

The best are Heatran, Infernape, and Ho-oh.

2, The move sets I've seen aren't that good.

A good move set for Charizard is

~ Belly Drum

~ Fire Punch

~ Earthquake

~ Substitute

3, Charizard wins because it is faster and has access to moves that can hit Blazikan with super effective hits.

Actually Blaziken is faster. And he can use Stone Edge, which is 4x effective against Charizard's Fire/Flying combo. Combine that with Blaziken's attack power, compared against Charizard's defense power, and you've got yourself a winner.

Also:

=Flame Dragon]

Heatren is not that great - his type combination is too easy to kill, especially since Earthquake can be learned by so many. Infernape is basically Blaziken with a different statistical spread, and yes, Ho-Oh is very good.

But unless you're playing an uber fight, you'll look like a noob for using Ho-Oh.

Actually Blaziken is faster. And he can use Stone Edge' date=' which is 4x effective against Charizard's Fire/Flying combo. Combine that with Blaziken's attack power, compared against Charizard's defense power, and you've got yourself a winner.

[b']Since when did a pokemon with a base speed of 80, out run one with a base speed of 100.[/b]

Also:

=Flame Dragon]

Heatren is not that great - his type combination is too easy to kill, especially since Earthquake can be learned by so many. Infernape is basically Blaziken with a different statistical spread, and yes, Ho-Oh is very good.

Charizard is 4x weak to rock, which is important since Stealth Rock is almost always set up in competitive play. Besides Heatran's typeing gives him a bunch of resistances, and since the only real way to kill it is Earthquake you can just switch to a Flying pokemon, or one with levitate. Infernape beats Blaziken because it is alot faster and has a better move pool.

But unless you're playing an uber fight, you'll look like a noob for using Ho-Oh.

True, but I had to bring him up as well.

True, Charizard has higher base speed, but in competitive play, many people give Charizard a nature that works for his power rather than speed, where many Blaziken users like to give Blaziken speed-boosting Natures and EVs. I know, it sounds like a stupid move in theory, but it's what I see all the time - Charizard being shamelessly outrun by Pokemon that SHOULD be slower.

As for Heatren, while it is true that Stealth Rock is active a lot, I still cannot agree with taht type match-up. Too many pokemon can use EQ for him to perform safely, and yes, while you can switch to a flyer or a levitater, that just puts you in danger from your opponent's stealth rocks, since they're just as likely to be using it as you are.

Now don't get me wrong - I didn't say Blaziken was BETTER than Infernape. I'm just saying that Infernape essentially IS Blaziken, but the stat spread switched around. As you said, he's faster for one thing. And yes, he does have a better move pool.

True' date=' Charizard has higher base speed, but in competitive play, many people give Charizard a nature that works for his power rather than speed, where many Blaziken users like to give Blaziken speed-boosting Natures and EVs. I know, it sounds like a stupid move in theory, but it's what I see all the time - Charizard being shamelessly outrun by Pokemon that SHOULD be slower.

[b']Actually, most EV spreads I've seen for Charizard are speed boosting. Nature wise most will increase Speed or attack, but never lower speed. I do agree with you that it is possible for Blaziken to out run Charizard since before I found out about EVs, my Blaziken was just a hair slower than my Charizard[/b]

As for Heatren, while it is true that Stealth Rock is active a lot, I still cannot agree with taht type match-up. Too many pokemon can use EQ for him to perform safely, and yes, while you can switch to a flyer or a levitater, that just puts you in danger from your opponent's stealth rocks, since they're just as likely to be using it as you are.

Very true, but he still makes a great counter to most Choice item holder. Also, don't forget that some of the key pokemon that can do well in standard play have 4x weaknesses as well.

Now don't get me wrong - I didn't say Blaziken was BETTER than Infernape. I'm just saying that Infernape essentially IS Blaziken, but the stat spread switched around. As you said, he's faster for one thing. And yes, he does have a better move pool.

I agree 100%. Guess I misinterpreted what you said.

Archived