Yu-Gi-Oh! DF, Special #3 Begins!!! Second Chapter is Up!!!!!

legendhiro

do you like this fanfic?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. do you like this fanfic?

• yup, you bet i do.
    • no, it sucks and you suck be extension

[spoiler=Yu-Gi-Oh! DFR]

Still taking place in America, this story is the first to follow Kira, a young girl who was raised in a dueling family. It is 2028, a year when Synchro Monsters are not quite new, but not quite used by everyone, and an exiting new type of high speed dueling is just beginning to make its way overseas from japan. When Kira and her friends suddenly find them selves in the midst of a power struggle dating back to three thousand B.C., they must unlock the powers of the mysterious Second Souls, or die.

With the help of a mysterious figure from the past, these six kids form a new team, the Neo Duel Force, in order to combat the forces of the New Order and its mysterious leader. They risk everything to unmask and then defeat him, but his true identity might be more than they can handle!

[spoiler=Characters]

*This covers only the main characters, since minor/minion characters are still uncertain at this time*

[spoiler=Kira]

Deck Type: A Warrior from the Ashes

Shadow Item: Soul of Unity

Favorite Card: Amazoness Paladin

Spirit Monster: Sacred Phoenix of Nephthys

Description: Kira has long sleek brown hair and light brown eyes. She is a serious person who, though athletic, is happy just lounging about with her friends Jack, Samantha and Jenn. Kira was raised in a family of Duelists. Her parents both duel (even though only her father is active in tournaments), her aunt and uncle duel, and her grandmother duels. She loves Duel Monster, but often wishes that it weren't present in every part of her life. When she becomes the barer of the Second Soul of Unity, it becomes clear that Duel Monsters has been such a big part of her life so that she could use it to save the world.

[spoiler=Damien Johnson]

Deck Type: The Last Cyber

Shadow Item: Soul of Force

Favorite Card: Any incarnation of Cyber Dragon

Spirit Monster(s): Light End Dragon, Dark End Dragon and Light and Darkness Dragon

Description: Damien is sixteen, one year older than Kira. He is the son of former regional champion Christopher Johnson, and is the last know student of the illustrious Cyber-Style. Despite these things, he has never advanced far in the world of Duel Monsters. He is troubled by a loss early in life. Damien is unique among my characters. Damien was born a twin, but his twin brother was lost shortly after birth. Every day he feels the pain of separation from the twin he never knew. This has made Damien introverted and harsh, despite the fact that he is a good and trustworthy person at his core.

[spoiler=Thaylaan]

Deck Type: Ancient Wandering Spirits

Shadow Item: Soul of Spirit

Favorite Card: Yata-Garasu

Spirit Monster: Izanagi

Description: Thaylaan in obviously not his real name. This fifteen-year-old outcast is a master of puzzles, with a talent for deciphering ancient codes and languages. He does so as a hobby. "Thaylaan" meant "Spiritualist" in the ancient language said to have been spoken by the lost Atlantians. Even though time as an outcast has hardened him, Thaylaan has a good heart. He is often seen hanging out with Kira's group, and he has a crush on Kira's friend Samantha.

[spoiler=Jack]

Deck Type: Ghostly March (Occult Deck Variant)

Shadow Item: Soul of Life II (Second Soul of Life)

Favorite Card/Spirit Monster: Dark Lucius (Any Level)

Description: Jack has nearly white hair and gray/blue eyes. He is Kira's oldest and best friend, and he obviously has feelings for her. Feelings that she doesn't return. He was once a much darker person, but made a choice to change so that he could get close to Kira. He has a tendency to be reckless, and is very prideful, and very protective of his friends.

[spoiler=Samantha (Goes by "Sam") ]

Deck Type: Dark Ritual

Shadow Item: Soul of Knowledge II (Second Soul of Knowledge)

Favorite Card: Performance of Sword

Spirit Monster: Norsewemko, Beautiful Goddess of Salvation/Garandolph, Devil King of Destruction

Description: Sam is tomboyish with short blond hair and blue eyes. She wears jeans and t-shirts mostly, and doesn't give much thought to her appearance. Sam is an expert at seeing connections, and is known for being very methodical. She has a routine that she never deviates from. She hates Jinzo, and has built her deck to contain only a few traps specifically to avoid his effect. It is a combination of this and her love of routine that has led her to build what is known as the strongest Ritual Monster deck in North America, if not the world.

[spoiler=Jenny (Goes by "Jenn") ]

Deck Type: Forest Overgrowth

Shadow Item: Soul of Growth

Favorite Card: Botanical Lion

Spirit Monster: Queen of Thorns

Description: Jenny is a typical girl in the way she dresses and the way she presents herself. She knows when to go with the crowd, when to stand up for herself, and when to bend. Even so, Jenny can be selfish and self absorbed. She more than anyone else doesn't want to be part of the Neo Duel Force. She believes it to be too dangerous, and doesn't want to risk her life for people that she doesn't even know. Jenny does have potential to change though, as her Soul would suggest.

[spoiler=Michael]

Deck Type: N/A

Shadow Item: Rumored to be a Duelist's Soul of unknown properties

Favorite Card/Spirit Monster: N/A

Description: Michael, the supposed leader of the New Order, is known by name only. He is rumored to have a Duelist's Soul, and one of his powers seems to be image projection. In fact, the first time Kira duels him is in school. Michael projects himself into her mind, taking on the guise of one of her classmates. He tests her power in a duel, using a Dragon-type deck. It is unknown, however, if this is his actual deck, one of his decks, or simply a deck that he came up with for only that duel. It would seem that he uses another deck, as Kira manages to dispense with him fairly easily.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here's the conclusion to John vs. Tucker. hope you all like it.

[spoiler=Chapter Fourteen]

Rival Match; Fiend Megacyber vs. Legendary Flame Lord

My situation sucked. I only had a partial strategy prepared, and I was facing a monster with a full three hundred more attack points than my strongest card. I did have one thing going for me. I have pretty good luck most of the time. For example, even though John’s turn wasn’t over, he didn’t have any other cards to play.

Okay, I thought, preparing to draw, gimme something good!

I pulled the card. It was ‘Gift of the Martyr’.

Huh, I thought, looking from my new card to my hand, and then back again. Yeah, that could work.

I only had one face-down monster in play, but it was all that I would need. “I end my turn,” I declared.

“Then here we go,” John announced. “I begin and end my turn by attacking your face-down monster.”

‘Black Skull Dragon’ struck, and my monster was revealed to be a humanoid shape made of shadows, smoke rolling from it. My monster was burned away in an instant.

“You destroyed ‘The Thing in the Crater’, and as you probably know, when ‘Thing in the Crater’ is destroyed, I get to summon any one Pyro monster from my hand. I summon my favorite monster, ‘Mr. Volcano’!”

A suave man wearing a white button up shirt under a green vest appeared in a burst of flames. He wore a short cape, and his red hair was swept back like one large curl (ATK: 2100).

“Now I summon ‘Royal Firestorm Guard’.” I declared. Beside ‘Mr. Volcano’ there appeared a red dragon, standing upright, covered in armor and wreathed in fire (ATK: 1700).

“I equip ‘Mr. Volcano’ with ‘Burning Spear’,” I declared, and the weapon appeared in my monster’s hand (ATK: 2100+400=2500). “And I’ll follow up with ‘Gift of the Martyr’, tributing my ‘Royal Firestorm Guard’ to add his power to ‘Mr. Volcano’’s.”

‘Royal Firestorm Guard’ became a form of pure fire, melding with the aura that surrounded my ‘Mr. Volcano’. His attack rose (ATK: 2500+1700=4200).

“I attack with ‘Mr. Volcano’,” I commanded. My monster ran at the dragon. ‘Red-Eyes’ fired his attack, but it was deflected. ‘Mr. Volcano’ jumped up and threw the spear at the dragon’s head. It hit and stuck between the dragon’s eyes. As he fell, ‘Mr. Volcano’ snapped his fingers, and a stream of flames burst from his hand and poured into the spear and over the dragon. It was reduced to ash (7000+3200-4200=6000). Mr. Volcano snatched the spear out of the air, landed gracefully on his feet, and jumped backward, landing at my side (4200-1700=2500).

“I end my turn.”

“Activate ‘Pot of Greed’,” John declared, drawing two cards from his deck. He smiled, “I place two cards face-down and activate ‘Card of Sanctity’. We each replenish our hands.”

He drew again, “Perfect. I begin by summoning ‘Chaosrider Gustaph’.” A green-skinned fiend warrior wearing red appeared aback a motorcycle, carrying a pike in his left hand (ATK: 1400). “And I follow up with ‘Double Summon’, tributing ‘Chaosrider Gustaph’ to summon ‘The Fiend Megacyber’!”

The motorcyclist was replaced by John’s signature monster, a warrior wearing overlapping panels of yellow armor decorated with black stripes. His fists were charged with yellow and black static energy (ATK: 2200).

“Reveal,” said John, “the Spell card ‘Fusion Sword Murasame Blade’, rearming my monster.”

The armor over ‘The Fiend Megacyber’’s right lower arm stretched out over his hand, lengthening into a long thin blade (ATK: 2200+800=3000).

“Attack,” John commanded, “with Megacyber Blade.” ‘Fiend Megacyber’ ran strait at my monster, his sword raised. ‘Mr. Volcano’ tried to block with his spear, but the sword passed right through, slashing my monster in half (7700+2500-3000=7200).

“I place a second card face-down,” John declared, “and end my turn.”

Even though my monster had been destroyed, I was smiling. I couldn’t help it. This is it! I thought. ’Card of Sanctity’ gave me everything I needed to win this duel!

“Activate,” I declared, “the Ritual Spell card ‘Incandescent Ordeal’, tributing the Monster card ‘Sacrificial Fire’,

154661f.jpg treating it as the entire tribute for the Ritual Summon, and summoning forth my most powerful monster, ‘Legendary Flame Lord’!”

A hatchling phoenix with bright eyes appeared and was engulfed in flames. The flames flared and from them emerged my monster. He was roughly six feet tall wearing blue armor on his legs, a blue armor crown, and a jacket made of crimson fire. He carried a staff in one hand and a dagger in the other (ATK: 2400). John was trying hard not to look worried, but I could tell that he was.

I smiled, “Next I activate two copies of ‘Hinotama’,” followed up with the Spell card ‘Tremendous Fire’.” Two fireballs fell from the sky, hitting my opponent in the chest (6000-500-500=5000). I snapped my fingers, and flames covered the field (John: 5000-1000=4000/Me: 7200-500=6700). The flames collected, rising up around my monster.

“And now,” I declared, “since three Spell cards have resolved since my monster was summoned, I can activate his special ability, Annihilating Inferno!”

The flames built, and my ‘Flame Lord’ rose into the air. The flames collected into the end of his staff. He swung his staff, flinging the flames at the ground in the center of the field. The flames blossomed out, engulfing John’s monster.

“Attack,” I commanded, and my monster dove through the flames, swinging his blade (4000-2400=1600). The flames fell away, only a few remaining as my monster settled at my side.

“Looks like it’s over,” I said.

“You’re right,” John replied, “it is.” As he spoke, ‘The Fiend Megacyber’ appeared amongst the flames still burning at his feet.

“But how?” I asked

“The Trap card ‘Interdimensional Matter Transporter’. It lets me transport my monster out of play until the end of the turn. Now it’s my turn. I equip ‘The Fiend Megacyber’ with the Spell card ‘Assault Armor’.” A white aura appeared around the warrior, dispersing the remaining flames and boosting his strength. “I’ll release the armor,” John announced, sending the Spell card to the Graveyard, “to allow my monster to attack twice this turn.” The aura flared.

“And to finish it,” John continued, “I activate the Spell card ‘Soul Release’, removing three of the monsters in my Graveyard from play, and combine it with ‘Return from the Different Dimension’, paying half of my Life Points to bring them all back (1600/2=800)!”

Three swirling vortices appeared in the air above us. From them emerged the two motorcyclists ‘Chaosrider Gustaph’ and ‘Diskblade Rider’, followed by the ‘Black Skull Dragon’ (ATK: 1400/1700/3200).

“You almost had me,” John said. “I knew your ‘Flame Lord’ was coming, and I knew how I would win if he did, but my entire plan hinged on my drawing ‘Return from the Different Dimension’. I would have lost this duel if I hadn’t drawn it when I did. You were a tough opponent. One of the toughest I’ve ever faced.”

John nodded, and I nodded back.

“’Black Skull Dragon’,” John commanded, “attack.” The dragon inhaled, unleashing a fireball attack that blew my monster away (6700+2400-3200=5900). “’Chaosrider’, ‘Diskblade Rider’,” John commanded, “you’re next.” The motorcyclists rode past, slashing with their weapons (5900-1700-1400=2800).

“Now I finish it,” John announced “with my ‘Fiend Megacyber’, Double Megacyber Impact!” His monster shot forward, punching me in the face, spinning, and pummeling me in the gut (2800-2200-2200=0). I fell to my knees as the monsters disappeared. Even the diminished impact of the solid vision holograms in such quick succession was enough to hurt.

John stepped forward and helped me to my feet. “You know,” I said, “I’ve wanted to duel you for a long time.”

“I know,” John replied. “I have too. Ever since I saw you duel in the Grand Championship. You’ve gotten good Tuck. Really made something of yourself. You used to be a good Duelist who had trouble thinking things through, because you had trouble thinking your life through. But now you’re a great Duelist. The equal of any other.”

I smiled. In not so many words, John had branded me his equal. That’s all I’d ever really wanted.

[spoiler=Card of the Day]

MrVolcanoPSV-EN-C.jpg

It's a Normal Monster with 2100 ATK that killed a "Black Skull Dragon". I need not say more.

Next Chapter Final Round! Wrath of the Adjudicator

i try not to use the same monster as card of the day more than once, so i made Mr. Volcano card of the day because it's tucker's favorite card (because he thinks that the monster and he are similar), and because he used it to destroy black skull. also, here are the logos for my next few books...

[spoiler=Yu-Gi-Oh! DA]

j9y5c3.png

[spoiler=Yu-Gi-Oh! DE]

vpgumo.png

[spoiler=Yu-Gi-Oh! DFR]

25558a8.png

chapter fifteen is up. the final round begins!

[spoiler=Chapter Fifteen]

Final Round! Wrath of the Adjudicator

John

Finally it was time. I would finally get the chance to fight Hiro, one of the greatest strategic minds that I’d ever known. I was worried. More worried than when I fought Max in the construction zone. More worried than when I fought Marik in the temple. I was worried that I wasn’t as strong as I thought I was. As I thought I’d become. I was worried that the gap between us would be too great, and that I’d fail to defeat him. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if I lost, but I was counting on this tournament to spread my name around. Winning would definitely be a plus.

But on top of everything else, I was worried that I would fail without Hiro around to keep me strong. For awhile now Hiro had been feeling himself fading. He described it as being pulled slowly toward something else, just out of sight. He had been using all of his strength to remain, predicting no more than a month before he would have to give in.

“What’ll happen after you do?” I’d asked.

“I don’t know,” he’d answered. “I’m only a shadow, so there’s a very real chance that I’ll just disappear. But I’d like to think that I’ll rejoin the spirit of the original Forgotten Duelist, wherever it is.”

I still wasn’t sure who Hiro really was. He wasn’t either. He was afraid, I could tell. But despite that, when I got the idea to use the Soul of darkness to throw Hiro out into an artificial body, the same way that Blackheart had, so that he could fight in the tournament, he said okay. Even knowing that such a spell would use up most of the energy he had left, he was willing to do it so that he and I could face off. But once the tournament was over, he’d have to go. In fact, he’d have to give everything he had to hang on that long.

I met Hiro at the center the stadium floor. It opened up, and a third arena nearly twice the size of the others rose up from beneath the ground. We stepped up, and the arena elevated above the ground. Two pedestals rose up out of the arena floor, one at each end. “Please set your Duel Disks on the pedestals,” said the announcer. Hiro and I discreetly returned our Dark Disks to their normal Duel Disk configurations and placed them on the pedestals as we were told. Clamps flipped out, holding our duel disks in place. It was nice to get that weight off of my arm. Hiro and I situated ourselves to the left of our respective pedestals, leaving clear paths for our opponent’s monsters to make direct attacks. As soon as we did, three holographic screens appeared, facing the three seating sections, each one showing an enlarged view of the arena with my Life Points in the top left corner, and Hiro’s in the bottom right.

“I’ll move first,” Hiro said. He drew a card for the start of his turn and said, “Two face-down cards. And I activate ‘Dimensional Fissure’.”

Holograms of two face-down cards appeared in front of my opponent, and a massive vortex opened up in the air behind him, far above his head.

“As long as ‘Fissure’ is on the field, any monster that would go to the Graveyard is removed from play instead, canceling any cards in your deck that affect the Graveyard. And if I remember right, there’re a lot. You can try to use ‘Dimension Fusion’ and ‘Return from the Different Dimension’ to recover your monsters, but remember, you pay the costs even if I negate your effects with my Counter Traps.

“I follow up by summoning ‘Bountiful Artemis’ in defense mode, ending my turn.” A caped mech angel with orange crystals beneath its armor and no legs appeared. He held his arms in a defensive posture, protecting his body (DEF: 1600). It was a good move.

Here goes, I thought.

“I draw,” I declared.

“Reveal,” Hiro cut in, “the Continuous Trap card ‘Synthetic Seraphim’.”

“It won’t help. I summon my ‘Gemini Elf’ in attack mode.” Twin elves appeared, only to disappear in a flash of light.

“Counter Trap ‘Forced Back’, negating your summoning and returning your monster to your hand. Also, because a Counter Trap was activated, ‘Artemis’ activates and I draw a card. Additionally, my ‘Synthetic Seraphim’ cuts in, and a ‘Seraphim Token’ is summoned to the field.” A tiny ceramic angel appeared in defense position (DEF: 300). Hiro drew a card as a result of his monster’s effect.

“In that case,” I said, “all I can do is place two cards of my own face-down, and pass.”

Hiro smiled, “Good.” He drew, “I summon ‘Majestic Mech – Senku’ in attack mode!” The humanoid Majestic Mech appeared, his wings held open wide, his fists raised, ready to strike (ATK: 1000).

“‘Senku’, attack!” Hiro commanded, and the angel monster charged right at me. I could have stopped the attack, but I didn’t want to use a Trap against a monster with only one thousand points. So I let it through (8000-1000=7000).

“After my monster attacks,” Hiro explained, “he’s destroyed, and I get to draw another card.”

The monster shattered, and Hiro drew again. The shards of ‘Senku’’s body reformed, and ‘Senku’ was pulled into the ‘Dimensional Fissure’ “I set the card I drew, and end my move.”

“Then let’s give this another go,” I said. “I summon ‘Gemini Elf’ in attack mode!”

The elf twins appeared again, moments before a glowing horn with feathered wings appeared across from them.

“Reveal ‘Horn of Heaven’,” Hiro declared, “tributing my ‘Seraphim Token’ to destroy your monster.” The ‘Seraphim Token’ disappeared, and a bright light built in the horn, erupting out and engulfing my monster. When the light faded, the horn and my monster were gone.

“Because another Counter Trap was played,” Hiro announced, “I get to draw another card and summon another token.” He drew, and a ‘Seraphim Token’ appeared to replace the one tributed for the effect of ‘Horn of Heaven’ (DEF: 300).

“Now it’s my turn,” said Hiro. “I draw, and I tribute both of my monsters to summon the strongest Majestic Mech, the ‘Majestic Mech – Goryu’.”

‘Artemis’ and ‘Seraphim Token’ disappeared, and they were replaced by the serpentine ceramic dragon. ‘Goryu’ spread his wings and roared (ATK: 2900).

“’Goryu’,” Hiro commanded, “attack directly!”

“I thought so,” I said. “I was ready for your dragon. Reveal face-down card ‘Blast Held by a Tribute’. I can activate this card when my opponent commands a monster that was tribute summoned to attack!”

‘Goryu’’s torso exploded. The fire from the explosion poured over Hiro (8000-1000=7000), and the pieces of the mighty dragon were pulled into the vortex above their master’s head.

“I didn’t really expect that to work,” said Hiro, “but I figured it was worth a shot. I set two cards and pass.”

I smiled, Just like Hiro to use a monster as important as ‘Majestic Mech – Goryu’ as a decoy. It’s a great strategy, because it’s something that no Duelist would expect.

“I draw,” I declared, looking down at my card. “And I think that ‘Fissure’ has been in play long enough. I activate ‘Mystical Space Typhoon’ to destroy it.”

“I can’t let you do that,” Hiro countered. “I reveal ‘Magic Jammer’, discarding ‘Layard the Liberator’ to negate your Spell, and destroy it.”

The hologram of my ‘Mystical Space Typhoon’ card appeared. A magic ring appeared below it, erasing my card before its effect could go off. ‘Layard the Liberator’, a six-armed, cape-less version of ‘Artemis’, appeared behind Hiro and was pulled into the vortex. He now had four monsters removed from play. I had one, my ‘Gemini Elf’.

“Because a Counter Trap was activated,” Hiro said, “I get to summon another ‘Seraphim Token’ to the field.” Another token appeared (DEF: 300).

“I summon my ‘Diskblade Rider’,” I declared, “and attack and destroy your monster.” The green-skinned, blue-clad motorcyclist appeared, throwing his disk at his target. But the disk hit an invisible wall and bounced back. My monster caught it.

“My ‘Negate Attack’ cancels your attack and ends the Battle Phase,” Hiro announced, “and because a Counter Trap was played, I can tribute my monster to summon the God of Judgment, ‘Voltanis the Adjudicator’!”

Clouds built in the air overhead. A bolt of lightning struck the ‘Seraphim Token’, and it was vaporized. The clouds parted, and from them descended the massive blue mech angel, his wings spread wide and his staff held high.

“My monster’s effect activates,” said Hiro. “I choose a monster on the field and destroy it.” The ‘Adjudicator’ raised his staff. Lightning struck it and jumped from the staff to my monster, vaporizing him.

“Now I draw,” said Hiro, “and activate the Spell card ‘Card of Sanctity’, letting us both draw until we hold six cards.”

Hiro drew five cards from his deck. I drew two.

“Next I activate the Field Spell card ‘Sanctuary in the Sky’.” The ground beneath us took on the guise of clouds. From the clouds, behind Hiro, a large roman temple rose, radiating a bright light. “Now neither player takes damage from battles involving their own Fairy monsters. I summon ‘Harvest Angel of Wisdom’!”

A humanoid mech angel appeared at Hiro’s side. He wore orange armor with white trim. His body underneath was made of green crystal. He had yellow crystals protruding from the back of his head like hair, and wide, mechanical wings attached to his feet (ATK: 1800).

“You can’t win,” Hiro said.

“We’ll see,” I replied. “Bring it on.”

“Fine,” he answered. “’Voltanis the Adjudicator’, ‘Harvest Angel of Wisdom’, attack!”

BountifulArtemisDR04-EN-SR-UE.png

"Bountiful Artemis" was key to Hiro's early game strategy this duel. Its ability to increase draw power can be useful in any number of situations.

Next Chapter Final Round! A Supreme Pair; Tualatin and Van’Dalgyon

the next few chapters should be up soon. only four left!

so, who wants me to post the first chapter of "Yu-Gi-Oh! DA"?

well, i posted part of one of the early chapters of DF as a preview years ago, and that drew in a lot of readers, at least for awhile. i figured, since i plan to post DA and DE in different threads than this one, i could post some previews here to generate more readers later. i think i will. i'll post chapter sixteen in this book today, and if i have time i'll also post chapter one of DA.

here, finally, is chapter sixteen. sorry for the wait. computer issues. thank God for the fact that i'm getting a new one this weekend...

[spoiler=Chapter Sixteen]

Final Round! A Supreme Pair; Tualatin and Van’Dalgyon

‘Voltanis’ raised his staff and called lightning down from the clouds (7000-2800=4200). ‘Harvest Angel of Wisdom’ summoned light into his fist and slammed me in the chest (4200-1800=2400). One more round of attacks like that and I wouldn’t make it. Luckily Hiro wouldn’t get another chance like that one again.

“Your control of the field is about to end,” I declared. “When you control two more monsters than I do, I can Special Summon my favorite card, ‘The Fiend Megacyber’!” The yellow-armored warrior appeared in a burst of yellow and black static, his fists charged (ATK: 2200). “But ‘Fiend Megacyber’ won’t be around for long. I tribute him to summon my Soul, the Demon Lord ‘Great Maju Garzett’!”

The warrior became wisps of black smoke, which reformed into a twenty foot tall brown skeletal demon with hairs protruding from the back of its head and from beneath its massive bulbous shoulders. There was a red crystal sphere embedded in each of the monster’s shoulders, and in his forehead. He flexed his massive arms (ATK 4400), and then crossed them defiantly.

“’Great Maju’,” I commanded, “show the ‘Adjudicator’ your ruling. Vile Energy Blast!”

‘Great Maju Garzett’ aimed his palm at ‘Voltanis’, unleashing a massive wave of black light that engulfed the fairy monster, swallowing him up. Hiro would have taken damage, except for his Field Spell card’s effect.

“I guess I should have seen that coming,” said Hiro.

“Yeah,” I said, “probably.” I crossed my arms confidently, my stance mirroring my monster’s.

“Don’t expect that you’ve won just because you’ve managed to summon one powerful monster,” said Hiro. “I still have plenty of moves in reserve. For starters, I set a card face-down and summon ‘Banisher of the Radiance’.”

Another ceramic angel appeared. This one had a large round body, a small head, and a hole in its chest lined with jagged orange crystals (ATK: 1600).

“Next I activate ‘Magical Stone Excavation’, discarding ‘Angel 07’ and ‘The Light Effigy’ to return ‘Card of Sanctity’ in my Graveyard to my hand. I activate ‘Card of Sanctity’, allowing us both to draw until we hold six cards.”

He drew and paused to survey his hand. I expected him to play more cards, but he simply said, “I end my turn.”

I really should thank him, I thought. Because of ‘Card of Sanctity’ I have a way to cripple his strategy here and now.

“I draw,” I said, “and I activate ‘Heavy Storm’, destroying every Spell and Trap card on the field.”

A powerful wind picked up, carrying the Holograms of every Spell and Trap away. The wind ripped the roman temple that was the Field card ‘Sanctuary in the Sky’ from the “ground” beneath it, pulling it apart, reducing it to rubble. An instant later, the ‘Dimensional Fissure’, no longer supported by magic, closed up and disappeared.

“Next,” I continued, “I activate ‘Soul Absorption’. Now, when a card is removed from play, I gain five hundred Life Points.

“And I’ll make a stand with ‘Chaosrider Gustaph’.” A green-skinned demon warrior wearing red armor padding appeared aback a motorcycle, carrying a pike (ATK: 1400).

“Once per turn, I can remove up to two Spell cards in my Graveyard from play to boost the power of my ‘Chaosrider’ by three hundred each.”

‘Chaosrider’ gained a fiery green aura (1400+600=2000).

“And because two cards were removed,” I announced, “I gain one thousand Life Points (2400+1000=3400). I attack ‘Harvest’.”

‘Gustaph’ revved up his engine and shot forward. He did a wheelie, trying to his ‘Harvest’ with his fast-spinning front wheel. But ‘Harvest’ was too strong. He deflected the wheel with his arm. ‘Chaosrider’ threw his weight, spinning around on his back wheel, and slashed with his pike. ‘Harvest Angel of Wisdom’ was shattered by the impact. The shards of his body were pulled through the hole in ‘Banisher’’s chest, removed from play by his effect (7000+1800-2000=6800).

“Because another card was removed from play,” I said, “I recover another five hundred Life (3400+500=3900). And I’ll attack ‘Banisher of the Radiance’ with ‘Great Maju Garzett’ and clinch this thing, Vile Energy!”

‘Great Maju Garzett’ fired his attack again, and ‘Banisher of the Radiance’ melted away (6800+1600-4400=4000). Hiro was, as usual, unconcerned. He selected a card from his hand and placed it on the platform made by his Duel Disk.

“Because you destroyed all of my two or more monsters in one Battle Phase,” said Hiro, “I can Special Summon ‘Tualatin’ to the field.” The silvery armored angel descended from the clouds overhead, its entire body radiating a bright light (ATK: 2800).

“At this point,” said Hiro, “I declare a monster Attribute, and every monster with that attribute on the field is destroyed.”

The light haloing ‘Tualatin’ expanded out, and ‘Great Maju Garzett’ disappeared, as if he were erased.

“Additionally,” Hiro continued, “while I control ‘Tualatin’, no monster of the declared Attribute can be summoned to the field.”

“It doesn’t change anything,” I said. “All I can do is set a card. It’s your move.”

Come on Hiro, attack me!

“I draw,” Hiro declared, “and I attack, Erasing Light!”

Light poured from ‘Tualatin’’s body. But I was ready.

“Reveal Trap card, ‘Mirror Force’, turning your attack back on your monster.” A reflective barrier appeared around my body, bouncing the light back at ‘Tualatin’, destroying it instead. I expected Hiro to finally look worried, but he still seemed utterly un-phased.

“I place a monster face-down in defense mode,” he said, “and pass.”

What are you planning? I wondered. Are you just trying to psych me out, bluff me, or do you really still have something up your sleeve? Either way, I can’t give you even one turn to recover. Even though you’ll be expecting it, I’ve got to come at you with everything I’ve got!

“I summon ‘D.D. Warrior Lady’ in attack mode,” I declared, “and attack your face-down monster.” A young blond woman in a silver jumpsuit, a glowing energy katana in hand appeared (ATK: 1500). She charged, sword raised, and slashed, revealing the face-down monster as the six-armed ‘Layard the Liberator’ (DEF: 1600). He caught my warrior’s blade, holding her in place (3900+1500-1600=3800).

“Then I activate my monster’s effect,” I said. “You should know what it does, but just in case I’ll tell you; I remove ‘D.D. Warrior Lady’ from play to remove your monster from play as well.”

A dimensional vortex began to spread from my monster’s sword, but before it could have its intended affect, ‘D.D. Warrior Lady’ was struck by lightning and disappeared.

“Reveal ‘Divine Wrath’,” Hiro declared, “discarding a card from my hand to negate your monster’s effect and destroy your monster. Now, because I negated an effect using a Counter Trap, I can summon a new monster from my hand. Behold my ‘Van’Dalgyon the Dark King Dragon’!”

Thunder clouds rolled in, and lightning struck the ground around the arena, and from them emerged a huge black dragon, at least ‘Tualatin’’s size, if not larger, with glowing red eyes and a crystal embedded in its forehead (ATK: 2800).

“Next,” said Hiro, “I can activate one of my monster’s effects based on the type of card that I negated. Because I negated the effect of a monster, I can summon back any monster from the Graveyard. Be revived, ‘Tualatin’!”

The massive glowing angel descended from the still-dark clouds (ATK: 2800). I could feel myself shudder. I could feel the immense pressure of the combined power of Hiro’s cards.

These last few turns have all been part of one big setup, I realized. Hiro was forcing me to use up my best cards so that when he summoned out his two monsters, I wouldn’t have a way to destroy them. He knew that, even if ‘Tualatin’ was defeated, he could summon ‘Van’Dalgyon’’s effect to revive it again. It was a setup, and I fell for it! How the hell am I gonna get out of this? Can I get out of this?

I looked over my hand.

If I can’t beat his monsters, I’ll have to do my best to buy myself some time.

“Activate,” I said, “the Spell card ’Swords of Revealing Light’.” Swords made of light itself rained down from the sky, surrounding Hiro’s monsters. “While these swords remain in play, none of the monsters on your side of the field can attack.”

You may command powerful forces my friend, I thought, But I’m pretty powerful too. I won’t make any more mistakes, and I promise that, from now on, this be a duel to that even you will have to work at!

I nodded to Hiro, and he nodded back. The real struggle was about to begin.

Van%27DalgyontheDarkDragonLordJUMP-EN-UR-LE.png

With three possible effects, and a relatively easily summon method for a twenty-eight hundred Attack monster, "Van'Dalgion" is definitely deserving of this slot. But as powerful as he is, Hiro needs both him and his counterpart 'Tualatin' to put John on the ropes!

Next Chapter Final Round! Hiro’s Last Stand; The Big Saturn

the duel between John and Hiro reaches its climax!

here it is, the conclusion! almost!

[spoiler=Chapter Seventeen]

Final Round! Hiro’s Last Stand; The Big Saturn

“It’s my turn now,” said Hiro, “and if you don’t mind, I’m going to take a page from your book. I pay two thousand of my Life Points (4000-2000=2000), to activate the Spell card ‘Dimension Fusion’!”

Oh no!

The sky opened up above our heads.

“Return to me,” Hiro commanded, “Majestic Mech – Goryu’ and ‘Voltanis the Adjudicator’!”

The lengthy and large synthetic dragon descended from the hole in space alongside the heavenly judge (ATK: 2900/ATK: 2800).

I steeled myself up. I wouldn’t let Hiro get the best of me so easily.

“I can return monsters to the field as well,” I declared. “I return ‘The Fiend Megacyber’, ‘Diskblade Rider’, and ‘Gemini Elf’.” The yellow-armored warrior emerged as well, alongside the motorcycle riding, disk wielding fiend and the beautiful elf twins (ATK: 2200/ATK: 1700/ATK: 1900).

“Thanks to your ‘Swords of Revealing Light’,” Hiro said, “I can’t attack with my monsters yet. So I end my turn.”

I drew. I got one of my most powerful cards. Using it now would be very risky. I smiled, I guess I’ll just have to take that risk!

“I’ll use what time I have,” I said, “to increase my presence on the field. I place a monster in defense mode, and attack ‘Layard the Liberator’ with Megacyber Impact!”

My yellow warrior charged forward and punched the six-armed angel in the chest. It shattered and disappeared.

“Draw,” said Hiro, “and I place one card face-down. End turn.”

He’s confident, I thought. He thinks that he’s safe because it’s impossible for my monsters to break through his front line. I smiled, But there’s more than one way to destroy a monster.

I closed my eyes and drew. No Soul, no magic, just me.

This is it!

I opened my eyes, looked at my hand, and smiled.

“Activate,” I declared, “the Spell card ‘Fusion Sword Murasame Blade’!”

The armor on ‘The Fiend Megacyber’’s right forearm stretched over his hand and lengthened into a thin, sharp longsword. His attack points rose (ATK: 2200+800=3000).

“Now go,” I commanded, “and attack the ‘Majestic Mech – Goryu’, Megacyber Slash!”

Energy poured into ‘Megacyber’’s blade. He jumped up and raised his sword, and slammed into an invisible wall. He was thrown back to the ground, where he landed at my side.

“You fell prey to my ‘Negate Attack’,” said Hiro.

“I figured that something like that would happen,” I replied, “but I also figured that it would be better to get the Traps out of the way. The fact that my attack was blocked doesn’t change the fact that I have the edge now. You only have one card left on hand, and none of your monsters can match my monster’s strength.

“True,” said Hiro, “but if I play this right, they won’t have to.”

He drew a card, “I activate ‘Heavy Storm’!” Wind tore through the holograms of every Spell and Trap in play, destroying the ‘Swords of Revealing Light’, but leaving my ‘Fiend Megacyber’’s blade in tact.

“Sorry, Hiro,” I said, “but my ‘Fusion Sword’ becomes part of my monster’s armor. It can’t be destroyed.”

I don’t care about your ‘Fusion Sword’,” said Hiro, the massive monsters that towered above him flexing their arms to loosen stiff joints. “’Goryu’, destroy ‘Diskblade Rider’!”

‘Goryu’ breathed light down on my motorcyclist, reducing him to dust (3900+1700-2900=2700).

“’Van’Dalgyon’, destroy the ‘Gemini Elf’ with Erasing Darkness.”

Dark light poured from the massive dragon’s mouth, pouring over the elves. When the attack ended and the darkness faded, the elves were gone (2700+1900-2800=1800).

“And finally,” Hiro said, “’Tualatin’ attacks your face-down ‘Cyber Jar’.”

I smiled, “So, you did know that it was ‘Cyber Jar’.”

“Of course,” said Hiro. “I know all of your strategies. What other monster have you ever placed face-down? I am a little bit surprised that you chose to play it now.”

“I figured that, even if I could raise the attack of one of my monsters to surpass yours, the only way I’d actually win would be to clean the slate. For something like that, no monster is better than ‘Cyber Jar’.”

As we were talking, ‘Tualatin’ summoned his Erasing Light, directing it at my monster. It was revealed as a mechanical jar with a lens where an opening should have been. It was covered in circuits and other mechanical parts.

“’Cyber Jar’,” I said, “activate your Special Effect.” My monster’s lens began to glow, and from it swept a beam that passed over the entire field. Every single monster in play exploded.

“As I’m sure you know,” I explained, “when ‘Cyber Jar’ flipped face-up, after our monsters have been destroyed, we each pick up five cards, summon any Level Four or lower monsters among those cards, and then add the remaining cards to our hands.”

Hiro and I picked up our cards.

“I summon,” I said, “‘W – Winged Catapult’ and ‘Y – Dragon Head’ in defense mode.” ‘W’, a boxy, blue, winged machine monster with missile pods on the top appeared alongside ‘Y’, a metallic red dragon (DEF: 1500/DEF: 1600).

“I summon,” said Hiro, “’Herald of Purple Light’, ‘Herald of Green Light’, and ‘The Dark Effigy’.” The two spheroid synthetic angels (DEF: 300 (each)) appeared alongside a large black cube (ATK: 1500). But it was too much to ask for that to be all. Hiro still had more up his sleeve.

“During my Main Phase Two,” Hiro continued, “I tribute ‘The Dark Effigy’ to summon a monster like no other. This monster is my last stand, and it will ensure my victory. Arise, ‘Big Saturn’!”

The cube-shaped ‘Dark Effigy’ split into several smaller cubes, and them reformed into two cubes half the size of the original. The two cubes disappeared, and a massive metal sphere appeared in their place. It was black with silver trim and a red sphere in the center. There was a disk-like apparatus attached to the bottom, two domes on its back, and two cylinders attacked to its sides. The domes angled down, becoming hover jets, and the cylinders detached, hands emerging from the lower ends, becoming free-floating arms. A head slid up out of the top, and a glowing halo appeared, circling its body (ATK 2800).

“Impressive,” I said, “but I’m not finished yet. I summon ‘X – Head Cannon’!” A blue and yellow floating robotic torso with cannons on its shoulders appeared (ATK: 1800).

“Next I play ‘Double Summon’ to summon a second monster. I summon ‘Z – Metal Tank’.” A yellow robotic tank with a stalk eye and a cannon above each tread appeared as well (ATK: 1500).

“’X’, ‘Y’, and ‘Z’, combine into ‘XYZ – Dragon Cannon’!”

The monsters stacked one atop the other, forming my deadly magnet monster, one of my strongest monsters (ATK: 2800).

“The Attack power of our monsters may be equal,” I said, “but my monster has an effect. I can discard one card to destroy one card on my opponent’s side of the field!”

“I wouldn’t,” said Hiro. “My monster has an effect too. The attacks that I made against your other monsters before attacking ‘Cyber Jar’ served an important purpose. They reduced your Life Points to less than twenty-eight hundred. See, when ‘Big Saturn’ is destroyed by my opponent’s card effect, we both take damage equal to ‘Saturn’’s Attack. Without ‘Soul Absorption’ to restore your Life Points, If you use your ‘Dragon Cannon’’s ability to destroy my monster, you’ll lose. It all comes down to who has the stronger monster, and right now, we’re even.”

I scowled, I know. Otherwise your monster would already be dead.

“I can still destroy your other monsters,” I said. “I discard two cards to destroy the ‘Heralds’.”

‘XYZ’ fired his cannons twice, and the two tiny angels were destroyed.

“I set a card, and I end my turn.”

“If that’s all you have,” said Hiro, “then this duel is over. I activate ‘Pot of Greed’. Then I’ll activate ‘Megamorph’, equipping it to my monster.”

“What good will that do?” I asked. “My Life Points are lower than yours.”

“For now,” said Hiro, “but my monster has another ability. I discard a card and pay one thousand Life Points (2000-1000=1000) to increase the attack of ‘Big Saturn’ by one thousand (ATK: 2800+1000=3800). This also brings my Life Points down below yours, activating ‘Megamorph’’s effect.”

A glowing magic circle appeared below Hiro’s monster, and it doubled in size and strength (3800+2800=6600). His fists began to glow.

“’Big Saturn’,” Hiro commanded, “attack! The End of Cosmos!”

‘Saturn’ raised his fist, ready to strike my monster down and take me with it. I couldn’t help but smile. The monster started to throw its fist, but it stopped at the same moment that a mysterious black cord connected to its chest. A giant game controller appeared, attached to the cord, floating in the air ahead me.

“I press Up, Down, Up, B, and C,” I declared, “to activate my ‘Enemy Controller’, changing your monster to defense mode!” ‘Saturn’ pulled back his fist and crossed his arm across his chest (DEF: 2200).

“I won’t let you get rid of ‘Saturn’ that easily,” said Hiro. “I set a card and activate ‘Dimensionhole’, removing my monster from play until my next turn.”

‘Saturn’ was pulled through a hole in space.

“Then I draw,” I said, “and I attack directly with ‘XYZ’, Cannon Firestorm!”

“Reveal,” said Hiro, “the Spell card ‘Celestial Transformation’, summoning ‘Royal Knight’ to the field in defense mode.”

The mech angel knight appeared, absorbing my monster’s attack.

I was breathing heavy, almost panting. Hiro was as well. We had been pouring everything we had into this duel, and we were both worn out. The duel was reaching a turning point. There would be a winner soon.

“I draw,” said Hiro, “and my ‘Saturn’ returns.” The whole in space re-opened, and the mighty mech returned (ATK: 2800).

“Next I activate ‘Offerings to the Doomed’ to destroy your ‘Cannon’…”

No!

“…and I attack your ‘W – Winged Catapult’.”

Bandages reached out for my ‘Dragon Cannon’, crushing it, and ‘W – Winged Catapult’ was crushed under the weight of ‘Saturn’’s fist.

It all comes down to this, I realized. His next attack will finish me, and the only card left in my hand won’t do anything here. No Soul. No magic. Just me. Win or lose, I fought this entire duel under my own power, with my own strength, pushing it forward with my own will. Even if I lose, I’ve still won.

I took a deep breath. “This is it,” I said. “The deciding moment. One of us is going down!”

I closed my eyes, and I drew my last card.

BigSaturnVJMP-JP-UR.jpg

The card of the day is, once again, one of Hiro's cards. Anyone else sensing a pattern?

Next Chapter The Victor and the Proposal

Who will win; John or Hiro?

chapter eighteen has arrived. sadly, there is only one more to go.

[spoiler=Chapter Eighteen]

The Victor and the Proposal

I looked down at my card, and I smiled. “It looks like this duel could be over,” I said. “I activate the Spell card ‘Card of Sanctity’. We each draw until we have six cards in our hands.

I drew five cards, and tried to hide my excitement. It was hard. I was practically shaking.

“Next up,” I said, “I activate ‘Soul Release’, removing five cards in my Graveyard from play.”

I pulled five Spell and Trap cards out of my Graveyard and placed them in the deck box at my waist, giving me ten removed from play cards.

Not enough, I thought. Not yet.

“Now I activate the magic duplication card ‘Double Spell’. I discard ‘Dimension Fusion’ and choose a Spell to activate from your Graveyard. A Spell like ‘Magical Stone Excavation’.

“I discard ‘Summoned Skull’ and ‘Polymerization’,” I declared, “to return a Spell card in my Graveyard to my hand. Now I activate that card. ‘Soul Release’ will remove five of the monsters in my Graveyard from play.”

I chose five cards from my Graveyard, placing them in my deck box as well. Transparent shadowy forms of ‘Summoned Skull’, ‘Chaosrider Gustaph’, ‘Great Maju Garzett’, ‘Gemini Elf’, and ‘The Fiend Megacyber’ appeared at my side before fading away.

“What are your doing?” Hiro asked.

“You should know,” I answered. “You and I came up with this move together, back in our duel against Marik.”

Hiro smiled, “I thought so.”

I smiled back, looking down at the deck box at my waist. Fifteen cards. It’s time.

“This entire duel, you made moves that would cripple my strategies. You removed our monsters from play, knowing that my strongest combos involved either removing my own monsters from play, or summoning every removed from play monster and hoping that my monsters would outnumber my opponent’s. You destroyed my ‘Soul Absorption’, knowing that I relied on it to restore my lost Life Points. Then you summoned a monster that is nearly impossible for me to destroy. But there was one move that not even you could overcome. I summon, ‘Gren Maju Da Eiza’!”

I saw fear flash across my opponent’s eyes. Behind me, a burst of heat and flames erupted from the ground, and a massive beast emerged. It was red in color, with a torso much like that of my ‘Great Maju Garzett’, massive claws, and a lower body that resembled the body of a snake or centipede. It had broad purple wings, attached just behind its shoulders.

“As you know,” I explained, “my monster’s Attack is always equal to the number of monsters that I have removed from play times four hundred. I have fifteen cards removed form play. Fifteen times four hundred is six thousand!

“One attack,” I said, “and its over.”

Hiro looked me right in the eye and said, “Then attack. It’s about time this duel ended anyway.”

I nodded. Hiro nodded back. “Attack,” I commanded, “with Vile Claw!”

‘Gren Maju’’s right claws were wreathed in swirling black energy. He thrust them forward, piercing the sphere in ‘Saturn’’s chest, and tearing right through the monster’s spheroid body and out the back.

Smoke poured from the wound, and the once mighty machine, and its armor plating shuttered. The machine monster exploded from the inside out (1000+2800-6000=0).

My monster disappeared. The holographic screens all around us began to flash my name and final Life Points.

Hiro walked up to stand right in front of me. “So you did it,” he said. “You won. You can take care of the Soul yourself now. There’s nothing left for me to do.”

“So that’s it?” I asked. “You’re out of time?”

“Yeah,” he said, “but don’t worry. Thanks to you, I got to leave that tomb in Egypt and have a life. I made friends, and dueled against strong opponents. I got to live again. That’s more than I ever expected. Thank you.”

Without another word, Hiro disappeared, leaving behind wisps of black smoke that dispersed in the air.

My friends ran out to meet me as the elevated arena lowered back to the ground and the holographic displays faded. I took the cards left in my deck and combined them with the cards in my Graveyard and deck box, put them away, replaced my Duel Disk on my arm, and deactivated it.

I looked around. The platform had finished lowering. I stepped down from it, and it lowered back down into the stadium floor.

People were cheering. Anyone with even a basic understanding of Duel Monsters could have picked up on just how serious those last few turns were. They knew what my chances were, and they saw me defy the odds and come out on top. This was my big brake. Soon news of the Duel Force Tournament as well as videos of the duels would be flooding the internet. If I was lucky, I’d get a call from someone wanting to sign me as a pro. It was all I wanted.

Almost.

Karen was talking to me, but I didn’t hear her. I couldn’t pull myself away from her eyes, her smile. Every gesture was magic. I had opened my mouth to speak, when a man in a black suit stepped up to my side and said, “Excuse me sir, but CEO Seto Kaiba has just arrived, and would like to see you. If you’ll follow me please.”

I looked to Karen, not knowing if I should stay or go.

“What are you waiting for?” she asked. “Go find out what’s going on.”

I smiled and nodded, and the man led me toward the waiting room door, and my future.

The suited man led me through the waiting room, back to the interior of Kaibaland Tower through which we had entered. We reached an elevator near the front door, and the man said, “Mr. Kaiba wants to meet with you in private, so he’s asked me to remain here. Take the elevator to the office floor. Security has been told to let you through. Walk to the end of the hall. Mr. Kaiba’s office will be strait ahead.”

“Thanks,” I said. I pressed the button on the elevator panel, and the doors opened right up. I stepped inside. The topmost button was labeled “OFC”. Out of habit I thought, Guess that means office, right pal? It was a few moments before I remembered that Hiro wasn’t there. I felt alone.

I took a deep breath as the elevator sped upward. It wasn’t long before the doors slid open to a circular entry way with three corridors branching off of it. There was a semi-circular desk ahead and of me and to the right, just next to the corridor strait ahead. There was a man at the desk. He ignored me.

I walked strait, down the corridor and to the door at the end. I knocked, and I heard a harsh-sounding voice call, “Come in.”

I opened the door and found myself in a huge office. Its entire back wall was a huge window overlooking the city. There were bookshelves lined with books against each wall, and potted plans in each corner, but the room seemed impersonal. Seto Kaiba was obviously not someone who got caught up in his personal life. He was strictly business.

Seto Kaiba was sitting at his deck in a high-backed chair. His desk was wide, made of some kind of obviously expensive dark wood. But even as I took in all of these details, I noticed one more important detail; Kaiba wasn’t alone.

I walked up to the desk and shook Kaiba’s hand, trying not to sound star struck. “Mr. Kaiba,” I said, “it’s an honor.”

“The honor is all mine,” Kaiba replied. He gestured to the other figure in the room, “I’d like you to meet my, uh, associate Maxamillion Pegasus.”

Pegasus shook my hand and said to Kaiba, “We’ve actually met.”

Kaiba leaned back in his chain, interlaced his fingers and said, “I don’t believe in small talk, so I’ll get right to the point. Mr. Pegasus and I, in a joint effort, have set in motion a project that will further the dueling community all over the world. I recently acquired a small island off of Japan, on which we have constructed a school dedicated to teaching all things Duel Monsters. This Duel Academy will offer courses in everything from professional dueling to card design. You have become well known in the United States. You have become something of an icon. If you were to attend the Academy, it would no doubt inspire other American Duelists to attend, following your example.”

“As my colleague has already mentioned,” said Pegasus, “dueling itself is not the only focus of Duel Academy. My role in this project will be to provide criteria for programs in card design and conception. My hope is that the graduates of this academy will be the next generation of my staff at Industrial Illusions.”

“We want you to enroll,” said Kaiba. “You will be guaranteed a place in the school’s largest dorm, and a career in the International Professional Dueling Circuit upon graduation.”

I couldn’t believe it. It was more than I could have hoped for. It was almost perfect.

I thought for a second, and then I said, “I’ll do it, but only under one condition. I want to be able to bring someone else along.”

I made my way back down to the sitting room where my friends were waiting, minus Max of course.

“What’s up?” asked Tucker. “What did Kaiba want?”

“Not just Kaiba,” I said. “Pegasus was there too! He and Kaiba are building a Duelist’s school on some island that Kaiba bought, and they want me to attend. They think of me as some kind of celebrity!”

“Really?” Sarah asked.

“You gonna do it?” Tucker asked.

“Yeah,” I said. “I mean, they’ve got this whole thing set up where if you graduate, you get a chance to go strait to the pro circuit! It’s some high-school-slash-prep-school thing, so what, four years? No problem! I’ll get to learn something, and think of all the strong opponents that I’ll get to face!”

Everyone was excited. Everyone except for Karen. I saw her walk, sulking, out the door into the tower lobby.

“Guys,” I said, “wait here.” I followed Karen, leaving the others to wait and wonder.

“Karen, wait up!”

She stopped and turned, glaring at me and demanded, “What?!”

“What’s your problem?” I asked.

“What’s my problem? It’s you, John. You’re my problem!”

“But this isn’t just about me -.”

“You’re two seconds from saying that you -.”

“Will you just listen?!”

She crossed her arms and stood waiting, “Fine, talk.”

“This isn’t just about me,” I said. “This is about both of us. I want you to attend Duel Academy with me!”

She scowled, “How many times do I have to tell you. I don’t want to be a Duelist. I want to -.”

“You want to design cards, I know! But that’s the thing. A whole division of the school staff is devoted to teaching game design. You can come with me, and if you do well, you’ll get a chance to join Pegasus’ creative staff!”

I watched as all of the anger melted from her expression. “Really?” she asked. “And Kaiba wants me?”

“Not Kaiba,” I said, “Pegasus himself. And I told Kaiba that he didn’t get me without you. No me, and no publicity for his new school. So of course he said yes.”

She was speechless. Her eyes began to tear up.

“Oh come on,” I said, “don’t cry. I don’t know what to do when my girlfriend cries.”

Karen let out a sarcastic sort of chuckle and said, “I’m not your girlfriend yet. If this Duel Academy thing works out, then we'll see.”

GrenMajuDaEizaSDDE-EN-C-1E.png

This card is one of the most versatile cards in John's deck, as well as one of the most powerful. It may not be as fast as "Great Maju Garzett", but can be a much more powerful finisher in the late game.

Next Chapter The Parting of the Ways

and finally, here's the conclusion to Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Force...

[spoiler=Chapter Nineteen]

The Parting of the Ways

Rocky

I put my hands in my pockets and walked through the door out onto the stadium floor. The sky was nearly dark, and I could just make out the earliest stars peeking through the twilight. I walked a few yards out and just stood there for a few minutes in silence.

“Robert Stone?”

I didn’t jump. I wasn’t startled. I’d known that he was there in the shadows since I stepped through the door. I turned to face the man. He was tall, wearing a white t-shirt under a long white coat, like a lab coat. He wore tattered jeans, and thick, square-rimmed glasses.

“Yeah,” I answered. “What can I do for you?” My posture seemed relaxed, but I was prepared to defend myself at a moment’s notice.

“They call me the Card Professor,” he replied, “or ‘Prof’ for short. I’m a member of the Duelists Elite. I heard you were looking for us.”

“I am,” I said. “How did you find out?”

The man smiled, “We have our methods. If you really want to join us, then be at the Cincinnati Airport, tomorrow at eight A.M. Gate nineteen. A plane will be waiting to take you to a testing sight. You’ll be tested, and if you pass, you’re in. If you fail, you’ll never get another chance.”

“What if I don’t make the plane?” I asked.

“Then you’ll be too late in more ways than one. This is your only shot. Make it count.”

I nodded, “In that case, I’ll be there.”

“Good,” the man said, looking up at the sky. “From what I saw today, I can tell that you’re exactly the Duelist that we need.”

The man smiled an arrogant smile, and a pendant beneath his shirt glowed brightly. It was so bright that I had to look away. When I looked back, all that was left of the man was a few wisps of smoke.

“Well that’s creepy.”

I looked up at the stars. There were already more of them.

Well, this could be it. I’ve been looking for years for a way to help people using something that I’m good at, and now I’ve found it. It’ll be rough, and it’ll be dangerous, but it’ll be worth it.

Sarah

I waited with the others until it was time to leave. When we finally made our way outside, I stood with Jenna, Amanda and Kris as we waited for the bus.

“Well it looks like John still wants to disband the team, so as of now, we’re the Duel Force.”

Jen

I was waiting for the bus with the others when Christopher walked over and asked me a question.

“Can we talk?” he asked.

I was surprised and more than a little confused, but I said, “Sure.”

We stepped over to the side, and Christopher said, “I’m not one to avoid a subject, so I’ll just say it. I want you to join my team, Team Beatdown.”

Now I was even more confused, “Why?”

“You’re one of the best Duelists I’ve seen,” he answered, “and you’re probably the greatest strategist I’ve met in years. My team mates on Team Beatdown are strong, but none of them are what you would call strategic geniuses. The entire team could benefit from your help. I need your answer by tomorrow. We leave next week for a five month tournament tour along the west coast.”

“What about travel expenses? And School?”

“We’re fully funded through sponsors. Every expense payed. And we’re internet schooled. It’s easy, flexible, and it’s some of the best education available to the world.”

I was speechless. I was also very tempted. My parents wouldn’t have a problem with it. Not after I told them what Christopher had just told me. But still, I wasn’t sure. It’s not every day that some guy you barely know asks you to drop everything.

“I-I’ll have to get back to you.”

“Alright,” said Chris. “Your cousin knows how to get a hold of me. But remember; tomorrow.”

John

“So, Tuck,” I asked, “why not college?”

“I dunno,” he answered, leaning back against the Kaibaland Columbus building’s outer wall, hands in his pockets, “I just don’t wanna go yet.”

“Oh come on, you’ve wanted to go to college since you were five, and I know you’ve been saving up. What’s up?”

“Nothin’ okay?” he snapped. “Now drop it!”

I wasn’t messing around anymore. In fact, I was really getting worried.

“Seriously Bro, what’s wrong?”

He glared at me, but he finally leaned in closer to me and said, quietly, “Fine! My dead beat dad found my savings account number cheat sheet. He emptied my college fund and used it to go gambling.”

“You’re kidding.”

“Nope. And since he had the code, he didn’t technically do anything wrong. He took everything I have, and there’s nothing I can do about it.”

“So what are you gonna go?” I asked.

“Nothin’. I have no money, and God knows I won’t get a scholarship.”

I sighed, “You don’t need to worry about it. I’ll think of something.”

“See,” Tucker said, “this is why I didn’t want to tell you. I wouldn’t feel right if you gave me the money or somethin’. It wouldn’t be fair.”

“Your dad taking your money wasn’t fair either,” I said. “You’re like my brother. Leave everything to me.”

The bus ride home was uneventful. Everyone else fell asleep. But I couldn’t. I was too excited. I was on my way, and Karen and I were finally (more or less) on the same page about our relationship. I couldn’t think of anything better than that. The only thing missing was Hiro. I looked out the window at the stars.

I really wish you could have stuck around longer pal, I thought. You know what though? I’ve got something better than one permanent friend. I’ve got Karen, and my best friend Tucker, plus all of my friends in the Duel Force. Even though we’re all going our separate ways, we’ll never really be apart.

I looked out the window and saw a familiar figure standing atop a building a good ways away, off the side of the highway. Max stayed in view long enough to nod, and then he disappeared again into thin air. His final goodbye. I glanced around the bus at my friends, leaned my head against the bus window, and drifted off to sleep.

Jen

The next day, I called John, asking him for Christopher’s number. I had to give Christopher an answer today, one way or another. I laid back on my bed and stared at the ceiling for hours, thinking. Finally I decided to call and hope the answer would came to me.

I dialed.

“Hello?”

“Christopher?” I said. “It’s Jen”

“Hey,” said Christopher. “You got an answer for us?”

“Yeah,” I replied, still unsure of what I was going to say. “The answer’s yes.”

Tucker

It was about three months later. John and Karen had already left for Duel Academy. I woke up one morning, and I saw an envelope stuck under the pane of my window. I opened it. Inside was the rest of John’s Grand Championship prize, plus some extra. It would be enough for me to get by at college. John had been right. He’d taken care of everything.

End turn.

• 2 weeks later...

here's the alternate ending. it's not too different. in fact, nineteen isn't different at all. i just put it there to round the whole thing out.

[spoiler=Alternate Ending]

[spoiler=Chapter Eighteen]

The Victor and the Proposal

I looked down at my card, and I smiled. “It looks like this duel could be over,” I said. “I activate the Spell card ‘Card of Sanctity’. We each draw until we have six cards in our hands.

I drew five cards, and tried to hide my mild disappointment. I was right, the duel was over, but it wasn't going to end the way I wanted it to.

“Next up,” I said, “I activate ‘Soul Release’, removing five cards in my Graveyard from play.”

I pulled five cards out of my Graveyard and placed them in the deck box at my waist, but only one was a monster. It was the only monster that even had a chance.

I didn't draw any monsters that could help me, I thought. This combo is all I have left.

“Now I activate the Spell card 'D.D.R. - Different Dimension Revival'. I discard ‘Summoned Skull’ to revive a monster that's been removed from play. A monster like 'XYZ - Dragon Cannon'!”

The mechanical compound monster appeared at my side.

“I might not be able to win this,” I said, “but I can take you with me when I go.”

Hiro looked me right in the eye and said, “Then finish it. It’s about time this duel ended anyway.”

I nodded. Hiro nodded back. “I discard 'Polymerization',” I declared, “to destroy the 'Big Saturn'!”

Energy built in 'X''s cannons, 'Y''s mouth, and 'Z''s cannons. The five blasted fired as one, punching right through the massive machine's chest.

Smoke poured from the wound, and the once mighty machine, and its armor plating shuttered. The machine monster exploded from the inside out. Smoke poured over the entire field (Me: 800-2800=0/Hiro: 1000-2800=0).

My monster disappeared, and the life displays on the holographic screens all around us went blank, the screens themselves flashing the word “Draw”.

Hiro walked up to stand right in front of me. “So you did it,” he said. “You didn't win, but you fought me to a standstill. You can take care of the Soul yourself now. There’s nothing left for me to do.”

“So that’s it?” I asked. “You’re out of time?”

“Yeah,” he said, “but don’t worry. Thanks to you, I got to leave that tomb in Egypt and have a life. I made friends, and dueled against strong opponents. I got to live again. That’s more than I ever expected. Thank you.”

Without another word, Hiro disappeared, leaving behind wisps of black smoke that dispersed in the air.

My friends ran out to meet me as the elevated arena lowered back to the ground and the holographic displays faded. I took the cards left in my deck and combined them with the cards in my Graveyard and deck box, put them away, replaced my Duel Disk on my arm, and deactivated it.

I looked around. The platform had finished lowering. I stepped down from it, and it lowered back down into the stadium floor.

People were cheering. Anyone with even a basic understanding of Duel Monsters could have picked up on just how serious those last few turns were. They knew what my chances were, and they saw me defy the odds and end the duel on my terms. As far as many of them were concerned, I'd won. This was my big brake. Soon news of the Duel Force Tournament as well as videos of the duels would be flooding the internet. If I was lucky, I’d get a call from someone wanting to sign me as a pro. It was all I wanted.

Almost.

Karen was talking to me, but I didn’t hear her. I couldn’t pull myself away from her eyes, her smile. Every gesture was magic. I had opened my mouth to speak, when a man in a black suit stepped up to my side and said, “Excuse me sir, but CEO Seto Kaiba has just arrived, and would like to see you. If you’ll follow me please.”

I looked to Karen, not knowing if I should stay or go.

“What are you waiting for?” she asked. “Go find out what’s going on.”

I smiled and nodded, and the man led me toward the waiting room door, and my future.

The suited man led me through the waiting room, back to the interior of Kaibaland Tower through which we had entered. We reached an elevator near the front door, and the man said, “Mr. Kaiba wants to meet with you in private, so he’s asked me to remain here. Take the elevator to the office floor. Security has been told to let you through. Walk to the end of the hall. Mr. Kaiba’s office will be strait ahead.”

“Thanks,” I said. I pressed the button on the elevator panel, and the doors opened right up. I stepped inside. The topmost button was labeled “OFC”. Out of habit I thought, Guess that means office, right pal? It was a few moments before I remembered that Hiro wasn’t there. I felt alone.

I took a deep breath as the elevator sped upward. It wasn’t long before the doors slid open to a circular entry way with three corridors branching off of it. There was a semi-circular desk ahead and of me and to the right, just next to the corridor strait ahead. There was a man at the desk. He ignored me.

I walked strait, down the corridor and to the door at the end. I knocked, and I heard a harsh-sounding voice call, “Come in.”

I opened the door and found myself in a huge office. Its entire back wall was a huge window overlooking the city. There were bookshelves lined with books against each wall, and potted plans in each corner, but the room seemed impersonal. Seto Kaiba was obviously not someone who got caught up in his personal life. He was strictly business.

Seto Kaiba was sitting at his deck in a high-backed chair. His desk was wide, made of some kind of obviously expensive dark wood. But even as I took in all of these details, I noticed one more important detail; Kaiba wasn’t alone.

I walked up to the desk and shook Kaiba’s hand, trying not to sound star struck. “Mr. Kaiba,” I said, “it’s an honor.”

“The honor is all mine,” Kaiba replied. He gestured to the other figure in the room, “I’d like you to meet my, uh, associate Maxamillion Pegasus.”

Pegasus shook my hand and said to Kaiba, “We’ve actually met.”

Kaiba leaned back in his chain, interlaced his fingers and said, “I don’t believe in small talk, so I’ll get right to the point. Mr. Pegasus and I, in a joint effort, have set in motion a project that will further the dueling community all over the world. I recently acquired a small island off of Japan, on which we have constructed a school dedicated to teaching all things Duel Monsters. This Duel Academy will offer courses in everything from professional dueling to card design. You have become well known in the United States. You have become something of an icon. If you were to attend the Academy, it would no doubt inspire other American Duelists to attend, following your example.”

“As my colleague has already mentioned,” said Pegasus, “dueling itself is not the only focus of Duel Academy. My role in this project will be to provide criteria for programs in card design and conception. My hope is that the graduates of this academy will be the next generation of my staff at Industrial Illusions.”

“We want you to enroll,” said Kaiba. “You will be guaranteed a place in the school’s largest dorm, and a career in the International Professional Dueling Circuit upon graduation.”

I couldn’t believe it. It was more than I could have hoped for. It was almost perfect.

I thought for a second, and then I said, “I’ll do it, but only under one condition. I want to be able to bring someone else along.”

I made my way back down to the sitting room where my friends were waiting, minus Max of course.

“What’s up?” asked Tucker. “What did Kaiba want?”

“Not just Kaiba,” I said. “Pegasus was there too! He and Kaiba are building a Duelist’s school on some island that Kaiba bought, and they want me to attend. They think of me as some kind of celebrity!”

“Really?” Sarah asked.

“You gonna do it?” Tucker asked.

“Yeah,” I said. “I mean, they’ve got this whole thing set up where if you graduate, you get a chance to go strait to the pro circuit! It’s some high-school-slash-prep-school thing, so what, four years? No problem! I’ll get to learn something, and think of all the strong opponents that I’ll get to face!”

Everyone was excited. Everyone except for Karen. I saw her walk, sulking, out the door into the tower lobby.

“Guys,” I said, “wait here.” I followed Karen, leaving the others to wait and wonder.

“Karen, wait up!”

She stopped and turned, glaring at me and demanded, “What?!”

“What’s your problem?” I asked.

“What’s my problem? It’s you, John. You’re my problem!”

“But this isn’t just about me -.”

“You’re two seconds from saying that you -.”

“Will you just listen?!”

She crossed her arms and stood waiting, “Fine, talk.”

“This isn’t just about me,” I said. “This is about both of us. I want you to attend Duel Academy with me!”

She scowled, “How many times do I have to tell you. I don’t want to be a Duelist. I want to -.”

“You want to design cards, I know! But that’s the thing. A whole division of the school staff is devoted to teaching game design. You can come with me, and if you do well, you’ll get a chance to join Pegasus’ creative staff!”

I watched as all of the anger melted from her expression. “Really?” she asked. “And Kaiba wants me?”

“Not Kaiba,” I said, “Pegasus himself. And I told Kaiba that he didn’t get me without you. No me, and no publicity for his new school. So of course he said yes.”

She was speechless. Her eyes began to tear up.

“Oh come on,” I said, “don’t cry. I don’t know what to do when my girlfriend cries.”

Karen let out a sarcastic sort of chuckle and said, “I’m not your girlfriend yet. If this Duel Academy thing works out, then we'll see.”

[spoiler=Chapter Nineteen]

The Parting of the Ways

Rocky

I put my hands in my pockets and walked through the door out onto the stadium floor. The sky was nearly dark, and I could just make out the earliest stars peeking through the twilight. I walked a few yards out and just stood there for a few minutes in silence.

“Robert Stone?”

I didn’t jump. I wasn’t startled. I’d known that he was there in the shadows since I stepped through the door. I turned to face the man. He was tall, wearing a white t-shirt under a long white coat, like a lab coat. He wore tattered jeans, and thick, square-rimmed glasses.

“Yeah,” I answered. “What can I do for you?” My posture seemed relaxed, but I was prepared to defend myself at a moment’s notice.

“They call me the Card Professor,” he replied, “or ‘Prof’ for short. I’m a member of the Duelists Elite. I heard you were looking for us.”

“I am,” I said. “How did you find out?”

The man smiled, “We have our methods. If you really want to join us, then be at the Cincinnati Airport, tomorrow at eight A.M. Gate nineteen. A plane will be waiting to take you to a testing sight. You’ll be tested, and if you pass, you’re in. If you fail, you’ll never get another chance.”

“What if I don’t make the plane,” I asked.

“Then you’ll be too late in more ways than one. This is your only shot. Make it count.”

I nodded, “In that case, I’ll be there.”

“Good,” the man said, looking up at the sky. “From what I saw today, I can tell that you’re exactly the Duelist that we need.”

The man smiled an arrogant smile, and a pendant beneath his shirt glowed brightly. It was so bright that I had to look away. When I looked back, all that was left of the man was a few wisps of smoke.

“Well that’s creepy.”

I looked up at the stars. There were already more of them.

Well, this could be it. I’ve been looking for years for a way to help people using something that I’m good at, and now I’ve found it. It’ll be rough, and it’ll be dangerous, but it’ll be worth it.

Sarah

I waited with the others until it was time to leave. When we finally made our way outside, I stood with Jenna, Amanda and Kris as we waited for the bus.

“Well it looks like John still wants to disband the team, so as of now, we’re the Duel Force.”

Jen

I was waiting for the bus with the others when Christopher walked over and asked me a question.

“Can we talk?” he asked.

I was surprised and more than a little confused, but I said, “Sure.”

We stepped over to the side, and Christopher said, “I’m not one to avoid a subject, so I’ll just say it. I want you to join my team, Team Beatdown.”

Now I was even more confused, “Why?”

“You’re one of the best Duelists I’ve seen,” he answered, “and you’re probably the greatest strategist I’ve met in years. My team mates on Team Beatdown are strong, but none of them are what you would call strategic geniuses. The entire team could benefit from your help. I need your answer by tomorrow. We leave next week for a five month tournament tour along the west coast.”

“What about travel expenses? And School?”

“We’re fully funded through sponsors. Every expense payed. And we’re internet schooled. It’s easy, flexible, and it’s some of the best education available to the world.”

I was speechless. I was also very tempted. My parents wouldn’t have a problem with it. Not after I told them what Christopher had just told me. But still, I wasn’t sure. It’s not every day that some guy you barely know asks you to drop everything.

“I-I’ll have to get back to you.”

“Alright,” said Chris. “Your cousin knows how to get a hold of me. But remember; tomorrow.”

John

“So, Tuck,” I asked, “why not college?”

“I dunno,” he answered, leaning back against the Kaibaland Columbus building’s outer wall, hands in his pockets, “I just don’t wanna go yet.”

“Oh come on, you’ve wanted to go to college since you were five, and I know you’ve been saving up. What’s up?”

“Nothin’ okay?” he snapped. “Now drop it!”

I wasn’t messing around anymore. In fact, I was really getting worried.

“Seriously Bro, what’s wrong?”

He glared at me, but he finally leaned in closer to me and said, quietly, “Fine! My dead beat dad found my savings account number cheat sheet. He emptied my college fund and used it to go gambling.”

“You’re kidding.”

“Nope. And since he had the code, he didn’t technically do anything wrong. He took everything I have, and there’s nothing I can do about it.”

“So what are you gonna go?” I asked.

“Nothin’. I have no money, and God knows I won’t get a scholarship.”

I sighed, “You don’t need to worry about it. I’ll think of something.”

“See,” Tucker said, “this is why I didn’t want to tell you. I wouldn’t feel right if you gave me the money or somethin’. It wouldn’t be fair.”

“Your dad taking your money wasn’t fair either,” I said. “You’re like my brother. Leave everything to me.”

The bus ride home was uneventful. Everyone else fell asleep. But I couldn’t. I was too excited. I was on my way, and Karen and I were finally (more or less) on the same page about our relationship. I couldn’t think of anything better than that. The only thing missing was Hiro. I looked out the window at the stars.

I really wish you could have stuck around longer pal, I thought. You know what though? I’ve got something better than one permanent friend. I’ve got Karen, and my best friend Tucker, plus all of my friends in the Duel Force. Even though we’re all going our separate ways, we’ll never really be apart.

I looked out the window and saw a familiar figure standing atop a building a good ways away, off the side of the highway. Max stayed in view long enough to nod, and then he disappeared again into thin air. His final goodbye. I glanced around the bus at my friends, leaned my head against the bus window, and drifted off to sleep.

Jen

The next day, I called John, asking him for Christopher’s number. I had to give Christopher an answer today, one way or another. I laid back on my bed and stared at the ceiling for hours, thinking. Finally I decided to call and hope the answer would came to me.

I dialed.

“Hello?”

“Christopher?” I said. “It’s Jen”

“Hey,” said Christopher. “You got an answer for us?”

“Yeah,” I replied, still unsure of what I was going to say. “The answer’s yes.”

Tucker

It was about three months later. John and Karen had already left for Duel Academy. I woke up one morning, and I saw an envelope stuck under the pane of my window. I opened it. Inside was the rest of John’s Grand Championship prize, plus some extra. It would be enough for me to get by at college. John had been right; He’d taken care of everything.

The Alternate ending is just the different Duel outcome or what?

yeah' date=' pretty much. like i said; there were two different endings to the duel. i had originally planned to use this ending, but then i decided to write Yugioh DA, and a major plot point for DA will be that john is overconfident. if he only tied the duel, he wouldn't be as likely to be overconfident, so i changed it.

Aw man! This is awesome! Can you give me guidelines to make my own? Please?

PM me a list of things you'd like to know/like advise on, and i'll answer them. i can also act as a resource if you start a fic and need help down the line.

mostly, make sure to keep your duels fairly straightforward when the characters are dueling, keep the description detailed always, plan out your plot, and be sure to read and understand the fan fic forum rules before you begin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived