Yu-Gi-Oh! DF, Special #3 Begins!!! Second Chapter is Up!!!!!

legendhiro

do you like this fanfic?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. do you like this fanfic?

• yup, you bet i do.
    • no, it sucks and you suck be extension

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here are the next two. chapters will most likely be coming two at a time from now on.

[spoiler=Chapter Five]

Lawrence vs. Tucker, and Sarah vs. Max

Tucker

John beat Karen. I’d expected as much. What was really unexpected was how into it Karen had gotten. She never seemed to care much about dueling anymore. I wasn’t at all surprised that Rocky had beaten Christopher. The last time Rocky and I dueled, he creamed me, and I could tell from the way that he’d been carrying himself that he’d improved a lot. I had no idea which of us was stronger at this point.

Regardless, it was my turn to duel, and against Lawrence no less. I’d considered Lawrence a rival ever since the first time he and I had faced off, and I’d wanted to face him again for awhile. I didn’t know if could win, but I wouldn’t give up.

I left the plush, comfy waiting room and walked out onto the stadium floor. I walked between John and Karen as they made their way back. I could literally feel the sparks flying between them. I turned and looked back at them. They had stepped to one side of the doorway to let Sarah, Max and Lawrence out, in that order. John put his arm around Karen, but only subtly. I smiled and then took up my position at the closer end of the right side duel platform. Sarah and Max stepped up onto the opposite platform, and Lawrence stepped up across from me.

“I’ll try to go easy on you,” Lawrence said, “but I can’t make any promises.”

I smiled, “Funny, I was about to say the same thing to you.”

Sarah

The last and only time that I’d ever dueled Max, it was with John at my side, and while Max was testing us. I had seen very little of his strategy first hand. I knew a lot about his deck though. I knew that he had only been beaten by two Duelists his entire career, and I knew that many of the Duelist that he defeated were beaten so quickly that Max barely broke a sweat. My new Atlantis Deck was powerful, but I had no way of knowing if it would be powerful enough.

Tucker

“I’ll start,” I said.

“Go ahead,” said Lawrence. “It won’t change anything.”

I scowled at his arrogance. “I summon ‘UFO Turtle,” I declared, “in defense mode.” A green tortoise appeared, a flying saucer situated on his back in place of a shell (DEF: 1000). “I also place three cards face-down and end my turn.”

Lawrence seemed unconcerned, “Oh, you’re finished already? Then let’s make this quick. I summon the powerful ‘Kaiser Seahorse’ in attack mode,” a blue-armored fish man appeared holding a deadly spear (ATK: 1700), “place two cards face-down, and attack.” The ‘Seahorse’ swung his spear, slicing my ‘Turtle’ in half from head to tail.

“When my ‘Turtle’ is destroyed,” I declared, “I can summon a Fire monster with fifteen hundred Attack or less from my deck. Also, I activate my continuous Trap ‘Backfire’. Now, every time a Fire monster I control is destroyed, you take five hundred points of damage.”

A pocket of air exploded in Lawrence’s face (8000-500=7500), just as my replacement monster appeared; a dark skinned man adorned with tattoos, with fire surrounding his fists. “I summon,” I explained, “my ‘Flame Ruler’ (ATK: 1500).”

“Another weak monster for me to knock down,” said Lawrence.

“You shouldn’t make assumptions,” I said. “You have no idea what I have planned.”

Lawrence grinned, “Funny, I was about to say the same thing to you.”

“In fact,” I continued, “I think its time that I took the lead. I tribute my ‘Flame Ruler’, activating his effect, treating him as two tributes for the summoning of a Fire monster. That means I can summon my rarest monster, ‘Tyrant Dragon’!” As I spoke, the man disappeared and was replaced by a large bronze dragon with a green crystal in his forehead (ATK: 2900).

“Now I attack your ‘Kaiser Seahorse’,” I commanded, “with Tyrant Burst!” My dragon expelled a fiery wave from his mouth, incinerating Lawrence’s monster (7500+1700-2900=6300).

“I thought that you’d be able to beat my ‘Seahorse’,” said Lawrence, “so I was ready with this. I activate ‘Monster Reborn’ to summon him back from the dead.” A red ankh appeared and flashed. From its light emerged the oceanic warrior.

“I tribute ‘Kaiser Seahorse’,” Lawrence declared, “treating him as two tributes for the summoning of a Light attribute monster.”

Here it comes, I thought, biting my lip nervously, the ‘Blue-Eyes’.

But to my surprise, in ‘Kaiser’’s place appeared a gold and brown dragon with a strong jaw and fierce eyes. “Introducing,” Lawrence said, “my spirit, ‘Felgrand Dragon’!” The dragon roared (ATK: 2800).

I was confused, even more so when Lawrence commanded, “’Felgrand Dragon’, attack his monster!”

“Are you kidding?” I asked. “He can’t beat ‘Tyrant’.”

“He can if I use this,” said Lawrence. “Activate ‘Shrink’, cutting your monster’s Attack in half.” My monster shrunk to half his original size, and his offensive strength decreased accordingly (2900/2=1450).

“In that case,” I countered, “I reveal ‘Ring of Destruction’ to destroy your monster and deal us each damage equal to his Attack.” A ring of live grenades attached to the ‘Felgrand Dragon’’s neck and exploded. Fire from the explosion washed over both of us, but only Lawrence took damage (6300-2800=3500).

“What-?”

“Reveal,” I said, “the Spell card ‘Ring of Defense’.” The fire cleared, revealing a spinning collapsible shield. It had held the fire back from my body, protecting my Life Points.

I smiled, “It looks like you underestimated me.”

Sarah

“I’ll make the first move,” said Max. “I set a card, and I summon ‘Spirit Reaper’ in attack mode.” A puff of smoke appeared, taking the form of a hooded, ghostly grim reaper (ATK: 300).

I scoffed, Well its pretty obvious that his face down card is ‘Spirit Barrier’. He always plays those two cards together. But on the off chance that it’s not, I have to attack. I can’t miss this chance to gain an early lead.

“I start things off,” I said, “with the messenger of the Lost City, ‘Amazon of the Seas’.” A mermaid appeared at my side, carrying a simple blade (ATK: 1300).

“Attack the ‘Sprit Reaper’,” I commanded. My monster obeyed. She struck, but the ‘Reaper’ was unharmed.

“Reveal,” said Max, “my ‘Spirit Barrier’, preventing damage to my Life Points.”

“Then I’ll end my turn,” I said, “with a face-down card.”

Max pulled the top card of his deck, “Draw! I start out by tributing my ‘Spirit Reaper’ to summon ‘Vampire Lord’.” The ‘Reaper’ disappeared, and in his place appeared a suave, pale-skinned man in a cape (ATK: 2000).

“I attack ‘Amazon’,” Max continued. The ‘Vampire Lord’ spread his cape, unleashing a red wave that sliced my ‘Amazon of the Seas’ in half (8000+1300-2000=7300).

“Now my ‘Vampire Lord’’s ability activates,” Max explained, “forcing you to discard a monster from your deck.”

“I chain my ‘Numinous Healer’,” I countered, “restoring one thousand of my Life Points (7300+1000=8300).

I thumbed through my deck, choosing a monster and discarded it.

“I set a card,” said Max, “and I end.”

“The I activate the effect of the ‘Sinister Serpent’ that you sent to my Graveyard,” I declared. “During my Standby Phase ‘Sinister Serpent’ in my Graveyard is returned to my hand. Next I remove ‘Amazon of the Seas’ from play to summon my favorite monster, the ‘Aqua Spirit’!” A pillar of bubble spewed from the ground at my side. The bubbles popped, revealing the blue-skinned water sprite, ‘Aqua Spirit’ (ATK: 1600).

“I activate my field card ‘A Legendary Ocean’,” I said, the scenery changing until Max and I found ourselves deep under water, the glimmering lost city of Atlantis visible behind me. “This lowers the level of my next monster by one, meaning that I can summon it with one sacrifice.” ‘Aqua Spirit’ disappeared, and from the depths arose a silver-scaled sea serpent with blue and pink fins. “Introducing ‘Levia Dragon-Daedalus’!”

The water all around my monster swirled together and then erupted out. “Special ability Aqua Eruption!” I called as the water swallowed up the ‘Vampire Lord’ and disappeared. “Now I attack directly with Tidal Burst,” I declared, and the dragon breathed a blue beam down Max (ATK: 2600/8000-2600=5400).

Now to take care of that pesky ‘Vampire’ when it returns to the field, I thought. “I place a card face-down. Make your move.”

“Draw,” said Max, “and at the start of my Standby Phase I activate ‘Mystical Space Typhoon’ to destroy your face-down card.” A gust of wind lifted my card into the air, reveling it as ‘Bottomless Trap Hole’, and them destroying it. “Now my ‘Vampire Lord’’s effect kicks in, and he returns to the field.” As he spoke, the ‘Vampire’ reappeared at his side.

“I sacrifice and remove my ‘Vampire Lord’ from play,” Max declared, “to summon the most powerful vampire monster, the ‘Vampire Genesis’!” ‘Vampire Lord’ grew larger and more muscular. His skin turned purple, and his face became bat like. His cape opened up, becoming fan like wings. He flexed his muscles and roared (ATK: 3000).

I scowled, This can’t be good.

Tucker

“I finish this,” I said, “with a direct attack, Tyrant Burst!”

“I counter,” Lawrence declared, “with the Trap card ‘Negate Attack’, ending your Battle Phase.” My monster’s attack was swallowed up by an invisible force.

“Then my turn’s done,” I said, and Lawrence smiled wide.

“If that’s the case,” he said, “I activate ‘Trade-In’ discarding the Level Eight ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragon’ to draw two cards.” He drew, but payed very little attention to the new addition to his hand. “Reveal,” Lawrence commanded, “the Trap card ‘Call of the Haunted’, reviving my ‘Felgrand Dragon’!

“When ‘Felgrand Dragon’ is summoned from the Graveyard,” Lawrence explained as his dragon reappeared, “he gains Attack equal to two hundred times the Level of the highest Level monster in my Graveyard.” The dragon was wreathed in a menacing aura (ATK: 2800+1600=4400).

“I activate ‘Mystical Space Typhoon’,” Lawrence declared, “to destroy your ‘Backfire’ card, and I attack with Eternal Burst!” ‘Felgrand Dragon’ fired his attack, incinerating my dragon (8000+2900-4400=6500).

Lawrence controls the entire field, I realized. I can still turn this around, but I need one more card. This is it, I thought, determined, waves of heat rolling up my body, I’m putting everything I have into this next card.

Sarah

“My ‘Vampire Genesis’ has a powerful effect,” said Max. “I discard the ‘Despair from the Dark’ to summon a lower Level monster back from my Graveyard. Live again, ‘Spirit Reaper’!” The spectral reaper appeared again at Max’s side (ATK: 300).

“Next I play ‘Card of Demise’,” Max continued.

154661n.jpg He drew five more cards and smiled a wicked smile.

“It’s over,” Max declared. “I play ‘Book of Life’, removing ‘Aqua Spirit’ in your Graveyard from play and summoning back a Zombie from my Graveyard. Return, ‘Despair from the Dark’!” A massive shadow shaped like an elongated torso appeared, flexing its claws (ATK: 2800), “And I summon the undead mistress, ‘Vampire Lady’!” A female vampire appeared, wearing a tight black dress (ATK: 1550).

“I attack with all of my monsters,” Max commanded. ‘Genesis’ summoned up a swarm of bats that ripped my sea dragon to shreds (8300+2600-3000=7900), ‘Spirit Reaper’ slashed with his scythe (7900-300=7600), ‘Vampire Lady’ swiped at me with razor sharp, blood red claws (7600-1550=6050), and ‘Despair from the Dark’ slashed me across the chest (6050-2800=3250).

“I activate ‘Offerings to the Doomed’,” said Max, “destroying ‘Despair from the Dark’ and activate ‘A Deal with Dark Ruler’.” Mummy wrappings reached up out of the ground, crushing the massive shadow. It turned to smoke, which reformed into a skeletal brown dragon with long tufts of white hair coming off of the back of its head (ATK: 3500).

“’Berserk Dragon’,” Max commanded, “Berserk Flame!” The dragon unleashed a wave of fireballs that hit me dead on. I lost, and there was nothing I could have done.

Tucker

I pulled my card, my Soul of Fire glowing faintly. It was the perfect draw.

“It’s time that this duel came to an end,” I said.

“You can’t beat me in this turn,” said Lawrence. “You have no monsters in play, no set cards, and I control a monster with over four thousand Attack!”

“You always underestimate me, Lawrence,” I said. “Even after Jen and I beat you, you thought you were better than us. Well, you’re wrong. You’ll never get stronger until you learn to stop belittling your opponents. I play ‘Monster Reborn’.”

Lawrence scoffed, “There aren’t any monsters in your Graveyard that can help you now.”

“You’re right,” I said, “but there’s one in your Graveyard that just might.”

The red ankh flashed, and from its light emerged a brilliant white dragon with piercing blue eyes. It spread its wings and roared. “I summon, the legendary ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragon’ (ATK: 3000)!

“But you dragon won’t remain for long,” I continued, as the dragon was swallowed up by a growing flame. “I tribute your monster to activate ‘Incandescent Ordeal’!” The flames took the form of a man wearing a jacket made of crimson flames, blue armor, and carrying a staff and a dagger. “Summon forth, ‘Legendary Flame Lord’ (ATK: 2400)!”

“Not that monster,” said Lawrence, his confidence wavering. “I can’t lose to that monster. Not again.”

“I beg to differ,” I said. “I play ‘Pot of Greed’ to draw two cards and place a Spell Counter on my monster.” I drew two cards, and the flames around my monster flared up. I looked at my newest hand. Perfect.

“Next,” I said, “I activate the Spell cards ‘Dark Room of Nightmare’ and ‘Meteor of Destruction’ dealing you thirteen hundred damage!” A fireball fell from the sky, surrounding Lawrence with flames (3500-1300=2200). “Now I remove three Spell Counters from my monster,” I declared, “triggering his ultimate attack, Annihilating Inferno!” A dome of fire erupted out from my monster, incinerating ‘Felgrand Dragon’.

“Now I attack,” I commanded, “with Surge of Fire!” My monster crossed his dagger and his staff, summoning flames which poured down over my opponent, ending the duel (2200-2400=0).

[spoiler=Card of the Day]

FelgrandDragonSDRL-EN-UR-1E.jpg

I had a few good choices for card of the day this time around, but the most important monster this chapter really was Lawrence's 'Felgrand Dragon'. This powerful dragon represents the first change to Lawrence's Power Deck in years, and maybe alludes to a change in his character.

[spoiler=Chapter Six]

Three for One

Jen

I was up next against my sister. Surprisingly, I’d never dueled her before. On top of that, I’d only seem her duel a couple of times, and she’d definitely revamped her deck for the tournament. We stepped up and faced each other. I couldn’t tell if she was looking forward to our duel or not.

“You ready?” I asked.

“Any time.”

“Then I’ll start out with one of my most powerful cards, the ‘Ultimate Insect LV 3’, defense mode.” A worm-like insect the size of a large dog appeared (DEF: 700).

“I’ll protect my monster,” I said, “with two face-down cards, and I end my turn.”

“Get ready, Sis,” said Kristin, “because here I come. I summon the warrior mech ‘Roboyarou’ in attack mode.” A robotic man in blue armor appeared, carrying a double-ended spear (ATK: 900). He raised his spear and lunged at my monster, but moments before his attack would have hit, he floated into the air, unable to move. My ‘Ultimate Insect’ rose into the air a moment later.

“Reveal,” I declared, “the Trap card ‘Zero Gravity’, changing your ‘Robo’ to defense mode (DEF: 450) and changing my ‘Insect’ to attack mode (ATK: 1400).

“Then I end my turn here,” Kristin said.

“I draw, “I declared, “and my ‘Ultimate Insect’ evolves into his ‘LV 5’ form.” The larval insect grew until he was a giant beetle, several feet taller than me, with a silvery armor-like shell and long spear-like upper legs (ATK: 2400).

“When ‘LV 5’ is summoned by the effect of ‘LV 3’,” I explained, “He gains the ability to release powerful corrosive poison spores from glands in the wings hidden under his shell. These poison spores lower the Attack and Defense of all enemy monsters by five hundred points while my insect remains on the field.”

“But my monsters are machines,” Kristin said. “Poison won’t effect them.”

Corrosive poison will,” I countered, pointing at her monster. She looked down at ‘Roboyarou in time to see several patches of rust begin to form on his armor (DEF: 450-500=0).

“But of course,” I said, “my attack won’t hurt you while your monster’s in defense mode. Still, it’s worth it to destroy your monster.” I didn’t even have to declare the attack. With a motion of my hand, the insect that was my Soul brought to life pierced the robot, reducing it to pieces of debris.

Monty

My duel was against Amanda, the great unknown among members of the Duel Force. The only time that I’d ever even been around when Amanda had dueled was when she, Rocky and Kimi had dueled against me, Karen and Lawrence in the park, and I’d had my own duel to worry about back then. I knew Amanda was strong, but that she didn’t spend much time learning the game outside of the cards in her deck.

“I’m going first,” Amanda said. “I place a card face-down and end my turn.”

“Alright,” I said. I have to hit her hard and fast. If I hesitate, I won’t stand a chance! “I activate ‘Spell Economics’ While this card is in play, I don’t pay Life Points to activate the costs of Spell cards. Spell cards like ‘Dark Magic Curtain’, which summons from my deck the 'Dark Magician'.”

A sinister looking archway appeared, closed off by a dark curtain. The curtain parted, and the purple clad sorcerer emerged, brandishing his staff, as the archway faded away (ATK: 2500).

“I attack directly,” I commanded, “and I set two cards face-down to end my turn.” Holograms of two face-down cards appeared below my sorcerer as he raised his staff, summoning up an orb of green and black light, which he flung at my opponent, hitting her square in the chest (8000-2500=5500). She didn’t react in the slightest.

“My turn right?” Amanda asked. I nodded and she said, “Okay, I start out with the Field Spell ‘Harpie’s Hunting Ground’. While I control this card, my Winged-Beasts gain two hundred Attack, and every time I summon a monster named ‘Harpie Lady’ or ‘Harpie Lady Sisters’, I get to destroy one Spell or Trap card on the field. So I summon ‘Harpie Queen’, destroying the face-down card on the right.”

The elegant, emerald-haired, white feathered bird woman ‘Harpie Queen’ appeared, crushing my ‘Magic Cylinder’ with her talons before returning to Amanda’s side (ATK: 1900+200=2100).

“Next,” said Amanda, “I activate ‘Elegant Egotist’, summoning ‘Harpie Lady Sisters’ from my deck.” Three more bird women wearing golden armor appeared, crushing my second card, ‘Magical Hats’, before joining their queen (ATK: 1950+200=2150).

“Finally,” said Amanda, “I discard a second ‘Harpie Queen’ to search my deck for another copy of ‘Harpie’s Hunting Ground’, destroying the current one to play the new one.”

I was confused, but I ignored the strangeness of Amanda’s move, focusing instead on her next one.

“Now I activate ‘Double Summon’,” Amanda continued, and I tribute my two monsters to summon ‘Simorgh, Bird of Ancestry’. When only wind monsters are used as tributes to summon him, I can return two of my opponent’s cards to his hand.” A massive golden-feathered bird appeared, flapping his wings, blowing my ‘Dark Magician’ and ‘Spell Economics’ away. The massive bird squawk-roared (ATK: 2900+200=3100).

“To finish it,” Amanda concluded, “I reveal ‘Hysteric Party’, discarding ‘Harpie Lady 1’ to revive every monster named ‘Harpie Lady’ in my Graveyard.” Two ‘Harpie Queens’ and the red-haired ‘Harpy Lady 1’ appeared, “and just for the fun of it, I’ll destroy ‘Harpie’s Hunting Ground’ with its own effect,” ‘Harpie Queen’ crushed the hologram of Amanda’s card, “because ‘Harpie Lady 1’ raises the attack of my monsters by her own effect (ATK: 1900+300=2200 (x2)/1300+300=1600/2900+300=3200). I attack with all of my monsters for the win.”

The army of monsters attacked in a flurry of claws and feathers, leaving me stunned by Amanda’s power.

Jen

“Losing my ‘Roboyarou’ is nothing,” said Kristin, “because during my turn, I reveal ‘Chain Material’. This turn when I conduct a Fusion Summon, I can fuse monsters from my hand, field, deck, or Graveyard, but the resulting monster is destroyed at the End Phase. So I fuse ‘Robolady’ in my deck, with the destroyed ‘Roboyarou’ to summon ‘Super Roboyarou’.” A pink-armored, female robot appeared, and the scattered components of ‘Roboyarou’ rose into the air, merging with her armor. Together the two monsters formed a buffer, darker-skinned ‘Roboyarou’ with pink armor over his shoulders. His armor began to rust (ATK: 1200-500=700).

“I won’t let you keep that monster,” I declared. “I can’t see you going through so much to summon it if it couldn’t hurt me, so I give up my next Draw Phase to activate ‘Offerings to the Doomed’.” The ground opened up and mummy wraps reached up from within the opening, reaching for the machine, but they were dispersed by an energy barrier.

“Reveal,” Kristin countered, “the Trap card ‘Spell Shield Type-8’, negating and destroying your card.

“I activate ‘Dimensionhole’,” Kristin continued, “removing my ‘Super Roboyarou’ from play until my next Standby Phase. I also summon ‘Fusilier Dragon the Dual Mode Beast’ in defense mode.” A red mechanical dragon with tank treads appeared. His neck and tail retracted into his body, forming a tank with the face of a dragon (DEF: 1400-500=900).

“My turn begins,” I said, “and my ‘Insect’ evolves to its final form.” The ‘Ultimate Insect’’s armor gained color, and he opened his shell, spreading his translucent wings. This increased the flow of spores, and their effectiveness increased (1400-700=700). “I attack,” I continued, and the insect crushed the tank like it was nothing.

“I draw,” said Kris, and the air rippled as the ‘Super Roboyarou’ reappeared (ATK: 1200-700=500). “I set two cards, and I end my turn.”

I drew. This duel had been pretty close so far, but it was about to start leaning in my favor. “I summon ‘Petit Moth’, and I activate ‘Double Summon’, tributing my ‘Moth’ for the mighty ‘Grasschopper’!” a green worm appeared, and then disappeared, replaced by a massive green preying mantis with razor sharp sickle-like arms (ATK: 2350).

“’Grasschopper’ attacks ‘Super Roboyarou’,” I commanded, and the mantis swung his arms. But before the blade could hit, the machine disappeared, and the blade hit Kris instead (8000-2350=5650).

“I activate ‘Cybernetic Zone’,” Kristin declared. “My monster returns at the End Phase with double the attack, but it dies during my Standby Phase.”

“Then I attack directly with my ‘Ultimate Insect’,” I declared, and the insect stabbed with its claws (5650-2700=2950). End”

“My monster returns,” Kris said. She drew, and I expected her machine to be destroyed, but instead she activated her face-down card. “I reveal ‘Solomon’s Lawbook’, skipping my Standby Phase, keeping my monster safe from destruction (1200x2=2400-700=1700).

“Now,” Kristin declared, “I attack ‘Ultimate Insect’ with ‘Super Roboyarou’.” Any other Duelist might have been confused at this point, but I knew what was coming. The machine raised his weapon and lunged, activating his effect and raising his Attack by one thousand (2700). “I activate ‘Limiter Removal’,” Kris said, “doubling my monster’s Attack, but destroying him at the end of the turn.” The ‘Roboyarou’’s Attack rose again (2700x2=5400), and he cleaved my monster in half.

“It doesn’t do you any good,” I said. “Your monster dies at the end of the turn, leaving you wide open.”

“Not true,” my sister countered. “I return my ‘Super Roboyarou’ to my Fusion Deck to summon his counterpart, ‘Super Robolady’.” The two monsters separated and reformed into a more powerful female robot with blue shoulders (ATK: 1200). “I equip her with ‘Fusion Weapon’, increasing her Attack by fifteen hundred!” The monster’s free arm extended out, becoming a black and red beam launcher (ATK: 1200+1500=2700). Her monster was now the strongest monster on the field, and stronger than any monster that I would be able to summon any time soon.

I smiled, Everything is going according to plan.

“My turn,” I said. “I’ve been waiting for you to summon a monster stronger than mine so I could activate this, my ‘Hammer Shot.” An invisible force crushed to ‘Super Robolady’ to pieces.”

“No way!” said Kris. “I was sure I had you.”

“Sorry Sis,” I said. “I summon ‘Insect Knight’,” an insect carrying a sword and shield and wearing armor appeared (ATK: 1900), “and I attack. That’s game.”

Kris and I walked together to the waiting room, listening as the announcer spoke the names of the next four Duelists; John’s mom vs. Kimi, and Jenna vs. the mysterious and powerful Hiro. All eyes, even those of Kimi and her mentor, were on Jenna and Hiro as they began their duel. Everyone was eager to see Hiro’s power for themselves.

Jenna

I was aware that all eyes were on me as I stepped up to face my opponent. Everyone wanted to analyze Hiro’s strength. I was the guinea pig. But I didn’t mind. I was still determined to prove myself to John and the others, and I’d gladly take Hiro on a hundred times if it meant that I’d impress them.

“My move first,” I said firmly. “I play ‘Painful Choice’. I choose five cards-.”

“You don’t need to explain,” Hiro said. I nodded and thumbed through my deck. I should pick a variety of cards so I’ll have more options later, I decided, so I took my five cards and placed them on the Duel Disk. Holograms of those cards appeared. They were ‘Necklace of Command’, ‘Hammer Shot’, ‘Dark Cat with White Tail’, ‘Mudora’, and ‘Skelengel’.

“Add the ‘Skelengel’ card to your hand,” Hiro commanded, and I did, discarding the rest.

“Next up I play ‘Graceful Charity’,” I declared, “letting me draw three cards, and then discard ‘Aitsu’ and ‘Koitsu’ from my hand. Next I discard ‘Skelengel’ to activate ‘Monster Reincarnation’, returning ‘Mudora’ in my Graveyard to my hand. I summon it now in attack mode.” An Egyptian man in a golden mask, wearing white garbs under gold dressings and carrying a sword appeared, wreathed in a golden light. “My Fairy monster ‘Mudora gains two hundred extra Attack,” I explained, “for every Fairy in my Graveyard (ATK: 1500+600=2100). I place a card face-down, and pass.”

Hiro drew his card in calm silence and declared, “I activate ‘Pot of Greed’ to draw two cards.” He drew, and continued, “I place two cards of my own face-down and summon ‘Majestic Mech – Ohka’, attack mode.”

A brilliant light appeared, filling Hiro’s field, and from it emerged an angelic beast made of a sort of white crystalline ceramic as hard as steel (ATK: 2400).

“When ‘Ohka’ is summoned without tribute,” Hiro explained, “it’s destroyed at the end of the turn. I attack.”

“Reveal,” I countered, “the Trap card ‘Draining Shield’, blocking your attack and increasing my Life Points.”

“From my hand,” Hiro said, “I activate the Spell card ‘Trap Booster’, discarding a card to activate ‘Seven Tools of the Bandit’, paying one thousand Life Pints to negate and destroy your Trap (8000-1000=7000).”

‘Ohka’’s attack continued through unhindered, destroying my monster (8000+2100-2400=7700), and then its crystalline body shattered.

“My turn,” I said.

“Reveal,” said Hiro, butting in, “the Permanent Trap ‘Synthetic Seraphim’. While I control this card, when a Counter Trap is activated, I get to summon one ‘Seraphim Token’.”

I took a deep breath. Hiro was good for sure, making sure that he could summon more monsters quickly, but I still had a few tricks of my own up my sleeve.

“I summon a second ‘Mudora’ from my hand,” I declared.

“No you don’t,” Hiro countered. “I activate ‘Solemn Judgment’, paying half of my remaining Life Points (7000/2=3500) to negate the summoning of your monster and destroy it.” My ‘Mudora’ faded as quickly as it had appeared.

“Then I activate ‘Monster Reborn’,” I continued, “reviving any monster I choose. And I choose your ‘Ohka’!” A glowing red ankh appeared, but a moment later a spherical ceramic angel lined with green crystals appeared, flying on tiny wings. It shone a green light that washed the ankh away.

“I discard ‘Herald of Green Light’ and a second Fairy monster from my hand,” Hiro explained, “to negate and destroy a spell. And don’t forget that when ‘Judgment activated, I received a ‘Token’.” A small mechanical angel appeared at Hiro’s feet (DEF: 300).

Hiro drew, “I activate ‘Card of Sanctity’. We each draw until we hold six cards.” He drew, selected a card without hesitation, and played it, “I activate ‘Celestial Transformation’, summoning a Fairy from my hand.” A beastly creature with a hole its chest, ringed by orange crystal appeared, and it and the ‘Token’ disappeared, “I tribute my ‘Token’ and my ‘Banisher of the Radiance’ to summon ‘Majestic Mech – Goryu’!” A ceramic and crystal dragon appeared, shining brightly (ATK: 2900).

“Now I play my own ‘Monster Reborn’ to revive ‘Ohka’ from the Graveyard, and I equip my ‘Goryu’ with the Spell card ‘Megamorph’, doubling his size and power. Both of my monsters attack for the win.”

MajesticMech-GoryuSDRL-EN-C-1E.jpg

Not much is known about Hiro's new deck yet, but upon seeing this card, every spectator knew one thing; his deck is powerful.

Next Chapter Battle in Heaven

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Chapter Seven]

Battle in Heaven

Kimi

As I watched, Jenna was slashed by the beast-like ‘Ohka’ only seconds before being hit by a beam of light from the mouth of the super charged ‘Goryu’. She seemed half in shock and half disappointed as her opponent walked away.

“Well,” said Sempai, “That was quite an interesting duel.”

“Jenna couldn’t make a single move,” I replied. “Part of that can be chalked up to nerves, but it doesn’t change the fact that Hiro’s strategy was overwhelming.”

Sempei nodded, turned to me and said, “Well, anyway, we have our own duel to fight.”

“Yes,” I said, “we do.”

Sempei drew her opening hand, “I’ll start out, as usual. I set two cards face-down. Next I activate the effect of a monster in my hand, ‘Hecatrice’. I discard ‘Hecatrice’ to search my deck for one specific and very powerful Spell card, adding it to my hand.” A small golden statue appeared, glowing golden yellow. The statue disappeared as Sempei took the target card from her deck.

“Now,” said Sempei, “I activate the card that was taken from my deck; the sacred temple of ‘Valhalla’. The light of ‘Valhalla’ shines bright, allowing me to Special Summon one Fairy monster each turn, as long as I don’t already control any monsters. That means I can summon ‘Athena’, the Summoner. While ‘Athena’ is on the field I can sacrifice any Fairy to summon another Fairy from my Graveyard, and whenever I summon a Fairy, she attacks for six hundred points of damage.”

The arena beneath us took on the appearance of clouds, and a large golden temple appeared behind Sempei. Light poured from within the temple, carrying with it a vibrant angel in gold and white armor, carrying a sword (ATK: 2600). This was ‘Athena’, one of Sempei’s strongest cards.

“Next,” said Sempei, “I summon the ‘Lucky Pied Piper’.” A small fairy in a brown jacket appeared, carrying a flute in his left hand (ATK: 1500). “And since ‘Pied Piper’ is a Fairy, my ‘Athena’ attacks.” ‘Athena’ fired a pulse of light from her free palm, hitting me in the chest (8000-600=7400).

“Now,” said Sempei, “I play ‘Card of Sanctity’. We each draw until we hold six cards.” I drew one card. Sempai drew six. And she wasn’t finished yet.

“Next,” Sempei continued, “I activate the Spell card ‘Skill of the Summoner’, allowing me to move a Level Seven or higher monster from my deck to my hand. I choose the powerful ‘Wingweaver’. And I combine ‘Wingweaver’ with a second Spell card, ‘Ancient Rules’. This lets me summon ‘Wingweaver’ instantly from my hand.”

A glowing, six-winged angel with violet hair appeared, wearing a long, flowing yellow dress (ATK: 2750). She appeared in a halo of bright light that poured into ‘Athena’’s palm. ‘Athena’ launched it at me, damaging me again (7400-600=6800).

“I place a third card face-down,” said Sempei, “and finally end my turn.”

Three monsters in the first turn, I thought. I guess I didn’t expect anything less. This is why, in all the times that Sempei and I have fought, I’ve never beaten her once.

I drew a seventh card. My hand wasn’t anything too impressive, except for one card.

“Alright Sempei,” I announced, “I’m going to show you what I’ve learned. I call forth my own little corner of Heaven, the ‘Sanctuary in the Sky’!”

Behind me, out of the clouds rose a gleaming Roman-style temple. “Now that ‘Sanctuary in the Sky’ is in play neither of us takes any damage from any battle involving our own Fairy monsters. It also lets me unlock the hidden powers of certain monsters, like the mighty ‘Warrior of Zera’.”

A man in green padded armor appeared carrying a sword. He was pulled through the and into the ‘Sky Sanctuary’ behind me. He was bathed in the ‘Sanctuary’’s light, and re-emerged a gleaming angelic figure standing twelve feet tall, with powerful wings.

“When ‘Warrior of Zera’ comes in contact with the light of the ‘Sanctuary’,” I explained, “he becomes ‘Archlord Zerato’ (ATK: 2800)!”

I summoned my most powerful ‘Agent’ series monster, I thought, but I don’t have the right cards in my hand to activate his effect. Still, he’s plenty powerful enough to take care of ‘Athena’.

I pointed, and ‘Zerato’ followed my gaze as I commanded, “Attack ‘Athena’ with Radiant Blade.”

“I really hope that you didn’t expect that attack to work,” said Sempei. “You should remember this combo. I taught it to you years ago.” ‘Zerato’ swung his sword, releasing a wave of energy in the direction of Sempei’s angel. But at the same instant a goddess appeared at Sempei’s side in spirit form, and ‘Zerato’’s attack was deflected by a wall of light. The wall faded away, ready to spring up again at a moment’s notice.

“I use ‘Aegis of Gaia’,” Sempei explained, “to summon the Spirit of Protection, reinforcing my Life Points by three thousand (8000+3000=11,000). Then I pay eight thousand Life Points to activate ‘Wall of Revealing Light’, creating a wall around myself and my monsters, eight thousand points strong (11,000-8000=3000).

“Finally I reveal ‘Solemn Wishes’. From now on, each time I draw I recover five hundred Life Points. My Life Points with be restored in no time at all.”

I knew this combo well. It was the ultimate defense wall created by Sempei, designed to keep any enemy monster with eight thousand or less Attack from reaching her side of the field, if only for a few turns. Of course, when you’re Sempei, a few turns is all that you need. I had all of the card required to use this combo in my deck as well, but I’d never been able to activate the key card, the ‘Aegis of Gaia’. I’d get it onto the field, but no matter how hard I tried, I could never bring myself to activate it. Sempei had said many times before that it was psychological. That all I had to do was reach a point where I could believe that I’d become as strong as she was or stronger, and I’d be able to activate the card. I would reach that point today. Today, the student would surpass the master.

But not jest yet, “I end my turn.”

“I draw,” Sempei declared (3000+500=3500), “and I begin my turn by tributing ‘Pied Piper’ and ‘Wingweaver’ to summon the ‘Splendid Venus’!”

The two weaker monsters disappeared, and a second female angel appeared in their place, wearing white and gold armor over a long, flowing dress. She carried no weapon. Her weapon was Heaven’s light itself (ATK: 2800). ‘Athena’ hit me with a burst of light (6800-600=6200).

“’Venus’,” Sempei commanded, “attack ‘Zerato’.” ‘Venus’ unleashed a wave of light, and ‘Zerato’ unleashed an energy pulse from his sword. The two attacks passed each other, and each hit its mark. Both monsters were destroyed.

“Now I attack with ‘Athena’,” Sempei declared, and the mighty warrior angel swung her sword (6200-2600=3600).

“I activate ‘Double Summon’,” said Sempei, “summoning the ‘Light Effigy’, tributing it to activate ‘Athena’’s effect.” A jumble of light appeared, disappearing immediately after, and the ‘Splendid Venus’ returned to life. ‘Athena’ attacked me twice (3600-600-600= 2400).

“I may be behind,” I said, “but I’m not out of the duel yet. I summon ‘Agent of Creation – Venus’ and pay one thousand Life Points (2400-1000=1400) to summon two ‘Mystic Shine Balls’ from my deck.” An angel in a long flowing brown dress appeared, two crystal orbs appearing in the air around her head (DEF: 0/500/500).

“I also place three cards face-down. I was hoping to save a few of these cards, but now I guess I’m gonna need them. Turn end.”

“In that case,” Sempei declared, “I draw (3500+500=4000) and activate a second ‘Double Summon’. That means I can summon both ‘Herald of Creation’ and ‘Aquarian Allessa’.” A tall magic user appeared wearing reflective armor over white robes, carrying a staff, alongside a young girl in a blue kimono. “Both of my monsters lose five hundred attack points in the presence of ‘Venus’’ light (ATK: 1800-500=1300/1500-500=1000), but their powerful enough for what I need. ‘Herald’ and ‘Allessa’ attack the ‘Shine Balls’,” Sempei commanded. ‘Herald’ swung his staff, and ‘Allessa’ fired a burst of waves. The two orbs shattered.

“Now ‘Athena’ destroys your ‘Agent’ so that ‘Venus’ can attack directly.” ‘Athena’ swung her sword, but the strike was deflected by a barrier summoned by a trio of priests.

“My ‘Waboku’,” I explained, “protects me and my monsters from damage for the rest of the turn.”

This is it, I realized. I’m finally going to win. “I draw, and I activate the Spell card ‘Pot of Greed’.” I drew two cards, looked them over and smiled.

“I activate the Spell card ‘Monster Reincarnation’, discarding a card from my hand to add a monster from my Graveyard to my hand. Next I reveal ‘Light of Judgment’, discarding that monster to activate its effect, removing your ‘Aegis of Gaia’ from the field.”

In the entrance to the sanctuary appeared the ghostly figure of ‘Archlord Zerato’. He transformed into light that swept Sempei’s field, erasing the Goddess of Protection (4000-3000=1000). But only a moment later the Goddess reappeared, this time standing at my side.

“Reveal ‘Aegis of Gaia’,” I declared, my Life Points climbing (1400+3000=4400). “The Goddess of Protection is one my side now,” I said. Sempei smiled.

I moved the ‘Agent of Creation’ card to my Graveyard, and my monster disappeared. “I tribute ‘Agent of Creation – Venus’ to summon ‘Agent of Judgment – Saturn’! Special attack, Light of Burning Judgment!”

From the ‘Sanctuary in the Sky’ there descended a male angel with deep blue skin and vibrant wings. His light overwhelmed even ‘Venus’’. The light expanded outward, engulfing all four of Sempei’s monsters. The light grew brighter until it was almost blinding, and when it finally faded the field was empty, and Sempei’s Life Points were at zero.

My teacher nodded respectfully and walked back to the waiting room in silence.

AegisofGaiaSTON-EN-ScR-1E.jpg

'Aegis of Gaia' is an important card to both duelists that battled in this chapter. It represents their bond, and the passing of the torch from one to the other.

[spoiler=Chapter Eight]

Master of Fear and the Fiery Spirit

Tucker

As I’d watched the duels so far, I’d made note of their outcomes. John had beaten Karen, but it had been close. Karen had really seemed to be enjoying herself. Rocky had beaten Christopher, something that I honestly hadn’t expected. I, of course, beat Lawrence, and Max beat Sarah. Jen won against her sister. They’re both good, but I’d put my money on Jen any day. Amanda won against Monty, another surprise, but then again, not really. And finally Hiro had defeated Jenna hands down, and Kimi had fought and won against her old teacher. Now it was time for the first duel of round two. It was me against Max, one of the strongest Duelists I’d ever seen. But he was set in his ways, utilizing only a few combos. Even though his combos were powerful, if I kept them in mind, being sure to expect each of them, I had a chance of winning. And I had to win. Just like in the Grand Championship, I wanted to duel John.

Max and I stepped up onto the platform and it rose into the air.

“You might as well surrender now,” said Max. “You know as well as anyone that whoever faces me in a duel is my enemy, and I never let my enemy win.”

“I can’t surrender,” I said. “There’s someone that I have to fight.”

“Then prepare, because here it comes. I start out with one face-down monster and two face-down cards.”

I scoffed, “Your scare tactics may work on other Duelists, but they won’t work on me. I set one of my own cards face-down, and I summon ‘Darkfire Soldier #1’.” A bare-chested man appeared, carrying a sword (ATK: 1700).

“I’ll have ‘Darkfire Soldier #1’ attack your face-down monster.” Flames rose up around the swordsman and he swung his sword, flinging the flames at the hidden creature. The monster was revealed as the deadly ‘Rigorous Reever’.

“When ‘Rigorous Reever’ is flipped,” Max explained, “we must each discard a card.” Max discarded his ‘Spirit Reaper’, and I discarded my ‘Tyrant Dragon’.

“Additionally,” said Max, “my monster drains yours of five hundred Attack points.” An aura appeared around my ‘Soldier’, and a portion of his power fell away (1700-500=1200).

“I end my turn,” I said.

“Then I activate ‘Call of the Haunted’,” said Max, bringing ‘Rigorous Reever’ back from the Graveyard.” The wooden reaper appeared, holding his scythe at the ready (ATK: 1600).

“Now I activate ‘Card of Safe Return’,” said Max, “and combine it with ‘Monster Reborn’. I revive my ‘Spirit Reaper’ and draw a card.” A cloud of smoke took on the shape of the cloaked ‘Spirit Reaper’ (ATK: 300).

“Finally,” said Max, “I summon ‘Emissary of the Afterlife’,” a third reaper appeared, carrying a decorated scythe (ATK: 1600), “and activate ‘Robbin’ Goblin’. While ‘Robbin’ Goblin’ remains on the field, you have to discard a card from your hand at random every time I deal damage to your Life Points through battle.

“I attack with all three of my monsters,” the reapers slashed me one after another and I was forced to discard every card left in my hand. This was more or less the same combo that he’d used to defeat Karen at the Championship It was a near perfect combination.

I drew one card. It wasn’t much, but it was all I had.

“I summon ‘Darkfire Soldier #2’,” I declared. A skull-headed samurai appeared, wielding two burning katanas (ATK: 1700). “Attack ‘Emissary of the Afterlife’!”

The samurai slashed, and ‘Emissary’ was shredded into three pieces (Max: 8000+1600-1700=7900).

“Because ‘Emissary of the Afterlife’ was destroyed by battle,” Max declared, “we each get to search our decks for a normal monster.” Max and I fanned out our decks. I chose ‘Hinotama Soul’, and Max chose the psychic wizard, ‘Ancient Brain’.

“I activate ‘Polymerization’,” said Max, “fusing ‘Ancient Brain’ with the fusion substitute monster ‘The Dark – Hex-Sealed Fusion’, forming ‘Skull Knight’.” A knight in skeletal armor appeared, wearing a skull mask and carrying a skull shield and bone sword (ATK: 2650). “I’ll also summon ‘Fear from the Dark’ in attack mode.” A man-sized fiendish shadow appeared at Max’s side (ATK: 1700).

“’Skull Knight’ destroys your ‘Darkfire Soldier’,” Max commanded, as the skeletal swordsman slashed my warrior to pieces with his sword (5700+1700-2650=4750), “and my remaining monsters attack, leaving you a stone’s throw away from defeat.”

The two reapers and the shadow sprung forward, only to be repelled by a wall of flames.

“Reveal ‘Firewall’,” I said with a smile on my face. “I remove my two ‘Darkfire Soldiers’ and my ‘Hinotama Soul’ from play to repel three direct attacks against my Life Points. Now I draw, and I activate the Spell card ‘Card of Sanctity’!” Max’s eyes grew wide, surprised by how easily I’d begun to turn things around. “I knew I’d draw this card eventually,” I said. “I just had to hold out until I did.”

I drew six cards, “Activate ‘Pot of Greed’, drawing two more cards from my deck.” I drew again.

“Now I summon ‘Flame Ruler’, combining him with the Spell card ‘Tribute Doll’.” A tattooed man with flames in his hands appeared alongside a lifeless figurine pegged to a tombstone. “I tribute ‘Flame Ruler’ and the ‘Tribute Doll’ to summon ‘Ryu-Ran’!”

A massive egg appeared. Its shell shattered, and a red dragon with short, stubby wings emerged (ATK: 2200).

“But my dragon won’t remain for long,” I said. “I activate ‘Monster Reborn’, tributing the Dragon-type ‘Ryu-Ran’ to summon the monster sent to the graveyard by ‘Reever’’s effect.”

“No,” said Max, “I had you!”

I smiled, “The key word here is ‘had’.

“Now,” I declared as ‘Ryu-Ran’ disappeared, “return to life, ‘Tyrant Dragon’!”

‘Ryu-Ran’ disappeared, and in its place, out of a vortex of fire appeared the mighty bronze dragon with the crystal in its forehead. ‘Tyrant Dragon’ spread his wings and roared (ATK: 2900).

“I activate ‘Molten Destruction’,” I declared, and a mountain appeared behind me. The peak exploded and lava ran down its sides. “This increases the Attack power of every Fire monster on the field by five hundred (‘Tyrant Dragon’’s ATK: 2900+500=3400/’Rigorous Reever’’s ATK: 1600+500=2100).

“Attack ‘Fear from the Dark’ and ‘Spirit Reaper’,” I commanded, “with Tyrant Burst!”

Flames poured over the deadly shadow and the immortal reaper. Out of the two, only ‘Spirit Reaper’ survived (7900+1700+300-(3400x2)=3100).

“I place one card face-down,” I concluded, “and end my turn.”

“You might have managed to turn things around for the moment,” said Max, “but I’m still going to win. I tribute ‘Rigorous Reever’ and ‘Skull Knight’ to summon the bringer of fear, ‘Despair from the Dark’!”

The wooden reaper and the skeletal knight turned to smoke and reformed into a massive shadow that towered over the entire field (ATK: 2800).

“My ‘Despair from the Dark’ attacks ‘Tyrant Dragon’,” Max commanded. I smiled, I thought so. That means he has that card in his hand.

‘Despair from the Dark’ brandished his claws, reaching strait for the bronze dragon’s head. ‘Tyrant Dragon’ bit down on the shadow’s hand, reducing it to smoke, and then opened his mouth wide, breathing fire that incinerated the shadow in seconds (3100+2800-3400=2500).

“From my hand,” said Max, “I activate ‘Deal with Dark Ruler’, summoning from my deck a monster that destroys all that it sees and leaves only death in its wake!” The ashes of the shadow monster took on a new form, becoming a brown skeletal dragon with tattered wings, with tufts of hair coming off of the back of its head. “That dragon is your last hope, Tucker,” said Max. “Watch in horror as it falls to my ‘Berserk Dragon’ (ATK: 3500)! Attack with ‘Berserk Flame’!”

The ‘Berserk Dragon’ inhaled, but its attack was never completed. As my opponent watched helpless, my ‘Tyrant Dragon’ shed its skin, leaving only its pure, fiery spirit behind. “I finish this duel,” I declared as my dragon rose up toward the sky, “with ‘Spiritual Fire Art – Kurenai!”

My dragon exploded out like a tornado of flames, engulfing the entire field, burning Max’s monster away. The dragon took for again, sweeping over Max himself, dealing him a fatal blow (2500-2900=0)

Max looked shocked. He’d never been very expressive, but I could tell that, weather or not he was shocked, his current silence was something different.

“My strategy was perfect,” said Max. “I should have won easily. How did you defeat me so easily?”

“It wasn’t easy,” I said. “In fact it was one of the hardest things ever! But I knew I’d win. In this game combinations aren’t everything. An even bigger part of a Duelist’s strength is the strength of his spirit.”

“But you didn’t even use your Soul,” said Max.

“I didn’t have to,” I replied. “I knew that I could win, because I new that my connection to my cards was strong enough. I think that that’s all our Souls ever did in a duel. They just helped strengthen a connection that was already there. And now we’ve come far enough to see those connections for ourselves.”

That’s when something truly unexpected happened. Max, still stoic and unexpressive, stepped forward and shook my hand. “Thank you,” he said. “I would have left after our last team meeting, back at the mall, but I was holding out for the chance to fight one last truly exciting duel. You gave me that, and I’ll become all the stronger for it.”

Then without another word to me, Max turned toward one of the many cameras, addressing the others who were watching on the big screen inside and said, “Hey guys! I’m going now. Next time we see each other, let me know who won this thing! And thanks for all the great duels!”

Max’s Soul glowed, as the others, having heard his speech, stepped out of the waiting room and ran out onto the stadium floor. By the time they had all reached the suspended arena, all that was left of Max was a puff of smoke.

SpiritualFireArt-KurenaiDR04-EN-C-UE.png

When it comes to dueling, Tucker's victories have always come from his strength of spirit, so what better card is there for his deck than a card that makes a weapon of a monster's spirit itself?

Next Chapter The Forest vs. The Wind

• 2 weeks later...

I can't complain about your updating.

My update's been a while too. Have you been reading my fanfic?

when i can. i'm just starting to recover my free time.

Awesome stuff! I see you take your work seriously

too bad YCM has a minor Fainfic fan base

but keep it up! I'll be reading!

thanks, i'm always glad to have readers. stick around. the story's far from over.

hey guys. i'm away from home until tomorrow night, or else the new chapter would be up. sorry. it'll happen soon.

...by the way...is there another book after this one?

yes and no...

there will be other books' date=' but they won't focus on the duel force.[hr']

sorry for not being active' date=' your duels are good

[/quote']

thanks.

here it is, finally...

[spoiler=Chapter Nine]

The Forest vs. The Wind

John

I stepped out of the waiting room and onto the stadium floor just in time to see Max turn onto smoke and shoot into the air. I was a little shocked by Max’s recklessness. Not everyone in the audience would think that this latest display was yet another special effect. Some of them would know enough about shadow magic to understand at least some of what was going on. I could only hope that none of them would give us any trouble. The rest of them would, of course, have no idea what was happening. But I did. I knew that had gone to pursue his chosen future. He had gone to fight the darkness that was still threatening the world, and to ultimately find his lost friend, Randy.

I nodded in the direction of his departure, Good luck.

“Well that was weird,” said Sarah. “Too bad. I was hoping for a rematch against him.”

“You’ll get it someday,” I said. “He never said it, but Max respected all of us and considered us all to be worthy opponents. I think he even considered us to be his friends”

“Alright!” said the announcer, excitement in his voice, “after another amazing display of visual effects, no doubt courtesy of our host, Kaiba Corporation, it’s time for our next match, Jen vs. Amanda. Both Duelists, please take your positions.”

“Here we go,” said Jen. She walked briskly toward the closer end of the platform, Amanda close behind.

Jen

I stepped onto the duel platform across from Amanda. To be honest, as a Duelist Amanda scares me. She doesn’t know too much about the cards in the game as a whole, but her deck is expertly designed to neutralize her opponent’s every combo. In other words, she didn’t have to know much about any other cards that her own. Every Duelist she’d ever faced had been crushed in less than five turns.

I won’t let her be so reckless, I thought. I’ll force her to go slow, and then I’ll attack once she doesn’t have any defenses left.

“I’m getting kinda bored, so I’m gonna start,” said Amanda. “I summon ‘Whirlwind Prodigy’ and place three cards face-down.” A boy in brown rags appeared, riding the wind itself (ATK: 1500).

Interesting. I think I might know what she’s planning.

“I draw,” I said, “and summon ‘Chainsaw Insect’.” A large beetle with massive chainsaw pinchers appeared (ATK: 2400). “I’ll also place one card face-down and I attack ‘Whirlwind Prodigy’.”

‘Chainsaw Insect’ prodigy in half with ease (8000+1500-2400=7100). “Whenever ‘Chainsaw Insect’ battles,” I explained, “my opponent draws one card.” Amanda drew her card. Then she drew a second card, beginning her turn.

“I reveal ‘Call of the Haunted’,” my opponent declared, “reviving the ‘Whirlwind Prodigy’ that you destroyed. And by using ‘Whirlwind Prodigy’’s effect, treating it as two tributes for the summon of a level seven or higher Wind monster, I tribute ‘Whirlwind Prodigy’ for the powerful ‘Simorgh, Bird of Divinity’.” ‘Prodigy’ disappeared in a burst of emerald wind, and was replaced by a huge green bird with gleaming emerald wings, decorated with tassels and jewels (ATK: 2700). Also, because the monster that was revived with ‘Call of the Haunted’ was tributed, not destroyed, my ‘Call of the Haunted’ card remains of the field. Now I reveal ‘Double Summon’, letting me summon ‘Sonic Shooter’,” A bird man with purple feathers appeared (ATK: 1300), “and finally I activate ‘Giant Trunade’, returning all Spell and Trap cards on the field to our hands, including my inactive ‘Call of the Haunted’.”

As a mighty wind storm picked up, lifting the holograms of mine and Amanda’s cards into the air, I couldn’t help but marvel at how easily she’d gained the upper hand. I felt lucky that Amanda didn’t have a better understanding of the game than she did.

“Now I attack ‘Chainsaw Insect’ with ‘Simorgh’,” Amanda commanded. ‘Simorgh’ flapped his wings, crating a blade made of wind that curved through the air, cutting my insect in half long ways (8000+2400-2700=7700). Amanda got to draw another card. “Now,” she said, “I attack directly with ‘Sonic Shooter’.” The bird man shot past me at the speed of sound, tearing at me with the slipstream that followed behind him (7700-1300=6400).

“Finally,” said Amanda, “I set two cards, and I end my turn. This allows ‘Simorgh’ to activate its effect. He attacks both players for one thousand damage, but each player is protected from a portion of the damage based on how many spell and trap cards they control.” ‘Simorgh’ flapped his wings, summoning up a whirlwind. The holograms of Amanda’s two face-down cards rose up, completely shielding her from harm. I, however, was hit for the full one thousand damage (6400-1000=5400).

Alright, I can recover from this. I’m behind on monsters and Life Points, but I have my ultimate weapon sleeping right here in my hand. I still have a chance, and a good one at that.

“I place a card face-down,” I said.

“Reveal,” Amanda declared, “the Spell card ‘Mystical Space Typhoon’.” A burst of concentrated wind tore the hologram of my newest card to shreds.

“I thought so,” I said. “Now that you’ve used up that card, I summon ‘Larva Moth’, and I treat ‘Cocoon of Evolution’ in my hand as a Spell card, equipping it to my monster, beginning his evolutionary process.” A green worm-like creature appeared, surrounding himself in webbing (DEF: 2000).

“Now I equip ‘Heart of Clear Water’.” I declared. A protective bubble appeared around the cocoon. It had the power to protect the cocoon from battle damage, and from Spell card effects.

“Finally I set one card, and I end my turn.”

‘Simorgh’ attacked again, but this time I was protected, and Amanda, with only one card, was hit (7100-500=6600).

“I draw,” said Amanda, “and I activate ‘Rising Air Current’, increasing the attack of every Wind monster in play by five hundred, and lowering the defense of every Wind monster by four hundred (‘Simorgh’’s ATK: 3200). I change ‘Sonic Shooter’ to defense mode (DEF: 200).

“My turn,” I said. “In my Standby Phase I activate ‘Pyro Clock of Destiny’, speeding up time on the field for the equivalent of one turn.”

“I have no clue what that means,” Amanda said casually.

“You will,” I replied, looking over my hand. “Next I activate ‘Pot of Greed’ to draw two cards, and I activate one of the cards I just drew, ‘Card of Sanctity’, letting us both draw until we hold six cards.” Even though I’d just drawn two cards, I took a second to draw again.

“Now I set three cards and end my turn.”

“I remove ‘Whirlwind Prodigy’ in my Graveyard from play,” declared Amanda, “to Special Summon ‘Silpheed’.” A green-haired man appeared, wearing a silvery white suite and carrying a staff (ATK: 1700). “Next I sacrifice ‘Silpheed’ and ‘Sonic Shooter’ for ‘Storm Shooter’.” A bird man largely identical to ‘Sonic Shooter’, except that it had mostly yellow feathers replaced the weaker monster (ATK: 2300+500=2800). “Once per turn I can either move ‘Storm Shooter’ over one monster zone, or I can return a card directly in front of him to my opponent’s hand. A card like ‘Heart of Clear Water’. I activate my monster’s effect, Air Burst!”

“Then I’ll counter with the Trap card ‘Divine Wrath’,” I countered, “discarding ‘Great Moth’ to negate your monster’s effect and then destroy it.” A lightning bolt struck the bird man, vaporizing it.

“Then I set a card,” said Amanda.

“Then its time for the final move,” I said. “I draw and activate a second ‘Pyro Clock of Destiny’.”

“I chain,” said Amanda, “my ‘Call of the Haunted’ to revive ‘Storm Shooter’ from the Graveyard.” I smiled as the bird man reappeared. Like I thought, she didn’t realize the power of my ‘Pyro Clock’ and she underestimated my strategy. But that slip-up will mean my victory!

“Since ‘Larva Moth’ was already two turns into its evolution when I equipped it with my ‘Cocoon’, two turns have passed, and I’ve moved the turn count forward another two with my ‘Pyro Clocks’, I can tribute ‘Larva Moth’ and ‘Cocoon of Evolution’ to summon my most powerful monster, the ‘Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth’!”

The ‘Cocoon’, which had been growing since it formed, split open, revealing a huge moth with brilliant blue and orange wings that unrolled as the moth emerged (ATK: 3500).

“Now,” I said, “I replace ‘Rising Air Current’ with the Field Spell card ‘Gaia Power’.” The wind died down, and a huge tree grew behind me, reaching a height of at least eighty feet, gleaming in the sun (‘Simorgh’: 2700/’Storm Shooter’: 2300/’Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth’: 3500+500=4000).

“I equip ‘Great Moth’,” I continued, “with ‘Megamorph’ and ‘Insect Armor with Laser Cannon’, increasing its power further.” A ring of light appeared below my ‘Moth’, and it doubled in size (ATK: 7500), and a cannon appeared to either side of its head (ATK: 7500+700=8200).”

“Finally,” I concluded, “I reveal my Trap card, ‘Shadow Spell’.” The ‘Storm Shooter’’s shadow took form, becoming chains that bound the monster, sapping its strength (2300-700=1600). “’Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth’, attack ‘Storm Shooter’, Great Hurricane!”

“’Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth’ flapped its wings, summoning up a tornado that tore the bird man apart. The tornado carried through, hitting Amanda so hard that, hologram or not, the force was enough to knock her off of her feet (6600+1600-8200=0).

“You did great,” I told Amanda as I helped her to her feet, our monsters fading away, “but because you didn’t know the power of my cards, particularly ‘Pyro Clock of Destiny’, you were caught off guard. You summoned ‘Storm Shooter’ back from the Graveyard during my turn, where if you’d waited to summon him during your turn, you’d have survived my attack, and you would have been able to render my monster powerless by returning it to my hand. You need to learn a little more about the cards in the game, and then you’ll be great.”

“It’s okay,” said Amanda. “I had fun either way.” She jumped down from the still-lowering stadium and made her way back to the waiting room to watch the rest of the tournament.

“And that concludes another spectacular duel!” said the announcer. “Now get ready for the next one, the Duel Force leader John vs. stone cold Duelist Rocky!”

That one’s gonna be good, I thought.

I stepped down from the platform and walked back to the waiting room, passing Hiro on the way. He was leaning against the outside wall, looking out at the stadium floor. I glanced into his eyes, and I knew that I would have to face him today.

Alright then, I thought, when you and I fight, I’ll use all of my power. Be careful Hiro, because I’m coming for you!

StormShooterCDIP-EN-SR-1E.jpg

'Storm Shooter' is the most important card of this duel for the simple reason that if it had been revived from the Graveyard one turn later, the duel could have gone in a completely different direction.

Next Chapter Deck of Stone, and the Ultimate Angels

...Will Kaiba appear in this book again?

yes, but he won't appear until the end, and he won't duel. the next chapter will be special. hiro duels again, and we see more of his strategy. john also has a revelation about his own deck. i figured that, as entertaining as the last few chapters were, it was about time something happened to advance the story.

as for the final countdown deck, it won't be until the next book at least but it will happen.

and here's chapter ten!

[spoiler=Chapter Ten]

Deck of Stone, and the Ultimate Angels

John

Next up was me and Rocky. I’d dueled Rocky once before, but I’d felt that he could have done better that last time, weather he realized it or not. But he’d recently shown that his deck had undergone a drastic series of modifications, and that his real power was beginning to shine through. I was looking forward to fighting him again, and maybe seeing a bit of his full power; the power that he used to defeat my rival, Christopher.

I looked over at rocky and asked, “You ready?” He nodded, and we stepped out onto the stadium floor, making our way toward the platform. As it lifted up into the air I looked Rocky in the eyes and said, “No holding back.”

Rocky smiled, “Don’t worry. I’m looking forward to this duel too much to restrain myself.”

Rocky activated his Duel Disk. Mine, being the non-transforming Dark Disk, was already online. “I’ll start things off,” Rocky declared. He took a deep breath and said, “I begin with ‘Painful Choice’, which lets me choose five cards from my deck and reveal them. Then you choose one for me to keep, and I discard the rest.”

He chose five cards and placed them on his Duel Disk. Holograms of the five cards appeared in the air above Rocky’s head, revealing the chosen cards as the magnet warriors, ‘Alpha’, ‘Beta’, and ‘Gamma’, and two copies of the “magnet monster” ‘Valkyrion the Magna Warrior’.

“Add ‘Alpha the Magnet Warrior’ to your hand,” I said. Rocky told me once that he only has two copies of ‘Valkyrion’, and that he would only use two even if he had more. That’s not something that’s likely to change. So if this is some strategy designed to summon ‘Valkyrion’, why would he give me the chance to send both copies to the Graveyard? What is he planning?

“In that case,” said Rocky, “I activate ‘Monster Reincarnation’, discarding ‘Stone Dragon’ to return ‘Valkyrion’ in my Graveyard to my hand. Next I activate ‘Dark Factory of Mass Production’, returning the other two ‘Magnet Warriors’ to my hand as well.”

“So it didn’t matter which of the five cards I chose,” I said, wearing an impressed smirk.

“Exactly,” said Rocky, beaming with confidence. “Now,” he continued, “I discard ‘Alpha the Magnet Warrior’, ‘Beta the Magnet Warrior’, and ‘Gamma the Magnet Warrior’ to summon ‘Valkyrion the Magna Warrior’!” The three magnet monsters appeared, separating into their many components, and then combining into the mighty ‘Valkyrion’ (ATK: 3500).

“Now finally,” said Rocky, “I play ‘Soul Absorption’. That way if you try to use your ‘Dimension Tactics’ I’ll reap the benefits.”

“That only means that you’ll lose more slowly,” I said. “I draw, and I activate my own ‘Painful Choice’, selecting my own ‘Magnet Monsters’, ‘V – Tiger Jet’, ‘W – Winged Catapult’, ‘X – Head Cannon’, ‘Y – Dragon Head’, and ‘Z – Metal Tank’.”

I placed the five cards on my Dark Disk, and holograms of them appeared above me. Rocky looked them over and then commanded, “Add ‘W’ to your hand.”

Just like I thought.

“I activate ‘Soul Release’,” I declared, “removing ‘V’, ‘X’, ‘Y’, and ‘Z’ in my Graveyard from play-.”

“And triggering ‘Soul Absorption’,” Rocky cut in (8000+2000=10,000).

“Also,” I continued, “I activate ‘Dimension Fusion’, paying two-thousand Life Points to summon every monster that I have removed from play (8000-2000=6000).” A swirling vortex opened above me, bridging the gap between our dimension and the Different Dimension, and four robots descended from it. ‘X’ was a torso sitting atop a spiked orb with cannons on his shoulders (ATK: 1800), ‘Y’ was a small red metallic dragon (ATK: 1500), ‘Z’ was a small robotic tank with a stalk eye and cannons above its treads (ATK: 1500), and ‘V’ was a green and yellow robotic jet with the head and legs of a tiger (ATK: 1600).

“Next I summon ‘W – Winged Catapult’.” A boxy platform with short wings and equipped with missile launchers appeared as well (ATK: 1300).

“I can remove my monster from play to create many variable combinations, so I remove ‘X’, ‘Y’, and ‘Z’ from play to combine them into ‘XYZ – Dragon Cannon’.” A panel on ‘Y’’s back opened, and ‘X’’s base settled into it. Then ‘Y’’s wings fell away, and it settled onto the back of the ‘Z –Metal Tank’ (ATK: 2800/Rocky’s Life Points: 10,000+1500=11,500).

“Now I activate ‘Pot of Greed’,” I announced, “to draw two cards.” I pulled the top two cards from my deck and examined them, smiling, These are just what I needed.

“I discard ‘Red-Eyes Black Dragon’ and ‘Summoned Skull’ to activate ‘XYZ – Dragon Cannon’’s effect, destroying two cards on the field.” ‘XYZ’ fired his cannons twice, hitting and destroying ‘Soul Absorption’ and ‘Valkyrion’. I could tell from Rocky’s expression as well as from his silence that his former confidence was beginning to waver.

“Next,” I continued, “I combine ‘V’ and ‘W’ into ‘VW – Tiger Catapult’.” ‘V’ connected to the back of the ‘Winged Catapult’ (ATK: 2000), “and then I combine them together into the most powerful machine monster ever made.” The five monsters separated and them recombined into a tall, powerful-looking winged mech brimming with weapons. “Behold, ‘VWXYZ – Dragon Catapult Cannon’ (ATK: 3000)!”

“I attack directly with my monster,” I declared, “Cannon Firestorm!” The mech took aim and fired, scoring a direct hit (11,500-3000=8500).

“Activate,” I continued, “the Spell card ‘Dimension Explosion’, returning ‘VWXYZ – Dragon Catapult Cannon’ to the Fusion Deck,” the monster split apart again, “and summoning back to the field my ‘VW –Tiger Catapult’ and ‘XYZ – Dragon Cannon’,” the parts combined once again into the two monsters (ATK: 2800/ATK: 2000).

“Cannon Firestorm!” I called, and ‘XYZ’ fired its cannons. “Missile Barrage!” I commanded, and ‘VW’ released a barrage of missiles from the launchers on his back (8500-2800-2000=3700).

“Finally,” I said, “I end my turn by removing my monsters from play, combining them together once again.” The two machines separated into five and then combined once again into one (ATK: 3000).

“Good,” said Rocky, “but not good enough. I remove two ‘Valkyrions’, ‘Stone Dragon’, and all three ‘Magnet Warriors’ in my Graveyard from play to summon ‘Megarock Dragon’.” The stony rubble of the six monsters appeared and rose into the air, merging into a massive form of living stone that closely resembled a dragon without wings. “My ‘Megarock’ has attack points equal to seven hundred times the number of monsters that I removed from play.” The dragon roared (ATK: 700x6=4200). It roared again, bellowing deeply, and chomped the mech, crushing its head and torso between the dragons stony teeth (6000+3000-4200=4800).

“Too little too late,” I said. “’Monster Reborn’ restores my machine monster to its undamaged form,” the mech reappeared, as good as new, illuminated by the light of my Spell. “I can use my monster’s ability to remove your monster from play,” ‘VWXYZ’ summoned energy into his hands and released it. It expanded around the much larger dragon, pulling it out of play.

“I tribute ‘VWXYZ’ to summon my favorite monster,” I declared, “’The Fiend Megacyber’!” the mech disappeared, replaced by the yellow warrior (ATK: 2200). “I also equip my monster with my final card, the Spell card ‘Assault Armor’ (ATK: 2200+300=2500). As my monster was surrounded by a gleaming aura, I could see in Rocky’s eyes that he knew as well as I did that the duel was over.

“I send ‘Assault Armor’ to the Graveyard,” I said, “to give my monster the power to attack twice this turn.” The aura around my monster flared up, and he rose up above the ground. “Finish it,” I said. “Megacyber Impact!”

‘Fiend Megacyber’ launched forward, punching Rocky in the gut, hanging in the air. His aura shattered like glass, causing him to spin mid air. He spun around and kicked rocky in the side (3800-2200-2200=0). Before my monster even touched the ground, he faded away.

I let out a deep breath and said, “That was intense! Honestly I didn’t expect you to do so well.” I looked into Rocky’s eyes, “You really weren’t holding back, were you?” Rocky only smiled.

Kimi

My duel was up next. It was me against Hiro. I knew that my chances of winning this one were slim, and I wanted to get it over with. My opponent must have felt the same way, because neither of us wasted any time. Without even waiting for the announcer to speak, we made our way out onto the floor and up onto the platform. I heard the announcer introduce us, but I didn’t pay attention. I wanted to focus completely on the task at hand. The platform rose into the air, and it was time.

“I’ll move first,” I said. “I’ve been wanting to see which of us has the better Light deck, and I’m too anxious to wait.”

“Fine by me,” said Hiro. “I have patience enough for both of us.”

I scowled at the light insult, chose a card from my hand, and placed it on my Duel Disk. “I summon ‘Agent of Creation – Venus’.” A female angel with long, flowing hair wearing a long brown dress appeared (ATK: 1600). “I also play a Field Spell card, ‘Sanctuary in the Sky’. While ‘Sanctuary’ is on the field neither of us takes damage from battle involving our own Fairy monsters.” The ground around us was disguised as clouds, and the ‘Sanctuary’ appeared behind me.

“Next I pay fifteen hundred Life Points (8000-1500=6500) to activate my ‘Venus’’ effect, summoning forth three ‘Mystic Shine Ball’ monsters from my deck.” Three shining glass orbs appeared, floating in a circle around the angel (ATK: 500 (each)).

“I set two cards face-down, and that’s all for now.

Hiro ran his fingers casually through his hair before drawing his last card. He looked over his hand for at least a minute before finally choosing a card, declaring, “I summon my ‘Royal Knight’.” A ceramic-bodied angelic knight appeared. His joints were made of a gray-blue crystal (ATK: 1300). “I place three cards face-down, and I end my turn.”

I smiled. It looks like he’s using the same strategy as before. This shouldn’t be a problem. “Here goes,” I said. “I draw-.”

“During the Standby Phase,” Hiro cut in, “I activate the Continuous Trap card ‘Synthetic Seraphim’. Now, whenever a Counter Trap is activated, I summon a ‘Seraphim Token’ to the field.”

“I chain,” I declared, “the Trap card ‘Solar Ray’. Each of my monsters attacks you for six hundred points of damage.”

“Then I counter with ‘Solemn Judgment’,” Hiro countered, “paying half of my Life Points to negate your Trap and destroy it (8000/2=4000)," the hologram of my Trap shattered like glass. “This also allows me to summon a ‘Seraphim Token’,” Hiro continued as a small mechanical-looking ceramic angel appeared (ATK: 300).

I smiled, Now I’ve got you.

“Reveal,” I declared, “my key card, the ‘Aegis of Gaia’! While this card is face-up on my field, my Life Points are reinforced by three thousand (6500+3000=9500). Next I tribute ‘Mystic Shine Ball’ to summon ‘Agent of Judgment – Saturn’! Because my Life Points are more than double yours, and because ‘Sanctuary’ is on the field, all I have to do is tribute this monster to erase you with his Light of Burning Judgment.” As I spoke the blue-skinned warrior angel appeared behind me, wreathed in light. The light began to grown brighter. Beside me stood the ghostly Spirit of Protection.

“Do you really think that you can pass judgment on me?” Hiro asked, sounding amused, a slight smile playing across his lips.

“Yes,” I said, “I do.”

“Well,” said Hiro, “You’re wrong. Reveal, the Counter Trap card ‘Forced Back’, returning your monster to your hand.” As he spoke, my monster turned into an orb of light and disappeared, and another ‘Token’ appeared instead. “Because a Counter Trap resolved,” Hiro continued, “I can tribute all of my monsters to summon the true agent of judgment, ‘Voltanis the Adjudicator’.”

‘Royal Knight’ and the two ‘Seraphim Tokens’ disappeared in bursts of lightning that poured into the clouds above, turning them dark. Lightning struck the ground three times in three different nearby places before Hiro’s creature was finally revealed. It descended from the cloud above like a god from the heavens. It was an impressively large violet ceramic angel, its lower body and its many joints made of glassy blue crystal. It had no legs, and long, broad wings that floated independent from its body, and it carried a wicked-looking staff (ATK: 2800).

“When ‘Voltanis’ is Special Summoned by his own effect,” Hiro explained, “he summons lightning from the heavens to pass judgment on as many monsters as I used as a tribute in his summoning.” ‘Voltanis’ raised his staff to the sky, and a bolt of lightning struck His staff. It split into three, hitting my monsters, vaporizing them.

“Now I play ‘Pot of Greed’,” Hiro declared. He was obviously looking to draw either one or two specific cards, but he seemed unconcerned. I noticed his Soul flash just before he drew. When he saw his newest cards he smiled, if only slightly.

“I activate ‘Mystical Space Typhoon’,” he said, “to remove the rather annoying Spirit of Protection.” A burst of wind swept by me, sweeping the Spirit away, reducing my Life Points to what they were before she had appeared (9500-3000=6500). “Finally I summon ‘Majestic Mech – Senku,” A white ceramic angel with broad wings appeared (ATK: 1000), “and I equip ‘Voltanis’ with the Spell card ‘Megamorph’, doubling his size and strength.” The already intimidating angel grew even larger, his power rising (ATK: 2800x2=5600).

“‘Senku’ attacks,” said Hiro, as the ceramic angel summoned a burst of light into his fist, throwing it at me, hitting me in the chest (6500-1000=5500), “and ‘Voltanis’ finishes it.” The massive judge raised his staff, summoning a bolt of lightning that hit me, bringing me to my knees (5500-5600=0).

John

I couldn’t help but marvel at Hiro’s power. Ever since I’d used the power of the Soul to cast him out the same way that Blackheart had a year ago, sending him to find a power all his own and then return as my greatest opponent, I’d wondered how powerful he would become. I’d seen his new deck a couple times now, and I was sure of one thing: his deck was more powerful than mine.

I promised myself that I wouldn’t use Destiny Draw anymore, I thought, but Hiro didn’t. I have a weaker deck, and I won’t use my powers. If I even make it in the tournament long enough to face Hiro, it’s going to be an intense one. If I make it. There are two rounds left. I might have to duel either Jen or Tucker in the next round, and to be honest, either one of them could beat me easily with a little luck.

Hiro and Kimi reached the doorway back into the waiting room. I was outside, standing against the wall where Hiro had been earlier. Hiro stepped up beside me and leaned back against the wall, his arms crossed.

“Well played,” I said, trying to hide the fact that I was impressed while still paying a compliment.

“Yeah,” Hiro replied, less than enthusiastically.

“What’s wrong?”

He hesitated, and then he finally said, “I was put into a difficult situation in that duel. I was worried that if Kimi made it another turn, I’d lose, so I used Destiny Draw to make sure I wouldn’t, and it felt wrong. I don’t think it’s right to use a power like Destiny Draw in everyday situations.”

“Then don’t use Destiny Draw again this tournament,” I told him frankly, a bit relieved that Hiro felt the same way I did.

“But I’m not sure I can win without Destiny Draw,” he said, “especially against Duelists as powerful as you, Jen and Tucker.”

I couldn’t help but laugh at that one, “I was just thinking the same thing about me,” I said. “I was wondering if I could beat you without Destiny Draw.” We both laughed at the coincidence.

“Well, regardless of the opponent or the situation,” Hiro said, “I’ve used Destiny Draw for the last time in this tournament.”

He walked around the corner, stepping through the doorway. “See you in the finals,” he said, just as he stepped out of sight.

VWXYZ-DragonCatapultCannonDR04-EN-R.png

Does this one really need a reason? I mean, look at it. It's awesome! But for those of you who want to know why this card was chosen, here's my reason. Very simply I wanted to show how quickly John is able to summon powerful monsters at this point in the story, without showing his more conventional tactics all over again, and the mighty but hard to summon "Dragon Catapult Cannon" is the perfect monster for this. Besides, it's awesome!

Next Chapter The Forest vs. the Heavens

to emphasize the transition from the old Soul of Darkness to the new Soul of Chaos that appeared in the third book (since chaos is a balanced combination of darkness and light). his old deck used only dark monsters, but it's clear that now he uses nearly as much light to act as a balance. the true ratio is about three fifths dark and two fifths light, most of the light being the v-z monsters and general support cards, where the dark monsters are the powerhouses. his arguably most powerful monsters, the seldom used envoys, are of course a combination of the two.

Archived