New Rule Regarding DeviantART

Bloodrun

It is now required that the Members of YCM, ask permission from the artist, before using any images from DeviantART.

Due to recent concerns from DA members regarding the distribution of their art illegally, the rule has been implemented.

Members, MUST, ask permission first. Any threads that do not show permission from the artist (from DeviantART) will be deleted.

This must be done, and will not be tolerated, or avoided.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This makes it a bit inconvenient for memebers who like to post card alot, but the artits work hard on their pieces I suppose this is the least we can do.

We also need to follow the law... I would have to agree with this.

....*goes to make DevianART account*....

You must be joking... I'll never make cards on this site again. Ever. Maybe. But seriously come on, what if the artist never replies? And how the h*** are we supposed to find the image again? And you are going to force us to make a deviart account just so that we can make cards? No, come on, seriously...

EDIT: Hey, i've got an idea! Some images it says copyright can't we use the ones where it doesn't say copyright?

i agree with jonas..!! but i supose this site could get in trouble over this and get shut down..!!

quick question what about pics you already have saved to your computer and are goin to use as card pics are we expected to go back to deviant art search for the artist make an account and then ask them to use it..??

@ Jonas Greve: The rules are simple and clear, either you make an account at DA and ask for permission or you look for another picture somewhere else.

As far as I remember, the only exception in that case would be if a picture at DA has a Creative Common Licence.

Creative Commons is a non-profit organization with a mission to expand private rights to create public goods, creative works set free for certain uses.

Offering your work under a Creative Commons license does not mean giving up your copyright. It means offering some of your rights to any member of the public but only on certain conditions.

All of Creative Commons licenses require that you give attribution in the manner specified by the author or licensor.

Attribution: You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your copyrighted work — and derivative works based upon it — but only if they give credit the way you request.

The core licensing suite will also let you mix and match conditions from the list of options below. There are a total of six Creative Commons licenses to choose from the core licensing suite.

Noncommercial: You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your work — and derivative works based upon it — but for noncommercial purposes only

No Derivative Works: You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform only verbatim copies of your work, not derivative works based upon it.

Share Alike: You allow others to distribute derivative works only under a license identical to the license that governs your work.

Note: A license cannot feature both the Share Alike and No Derivative Works options. The Share Alike requirement applies only to derivative works.

Taking a License

When you've made your choices, you'll get the appropriate license expressed in three ways:

1. Commons Deed. A simple, plain-language summary of the license, complete with the relevant icons.

2. Legal Code. The fine print that you need to be sure the license will stand up in court.

3. Digital Code. A machine-readable translation of the license that helps search engines and other applications identify your work by its terms of use.

Using a License

If you chose a Creative Commons license, the small logo and license description will appear next to your deviation. It will link back to the Commons Deed, so that the world can be notified of the license terms. If you find that your license is being violated, you may have grounds to sue under copyright infringement. The machine-readable translation will be embeded in your deviation page.

Additional Resources

* More examples are available on the examples page

* Things to think about before selecting a license

* Detailed explanation of all licenses

* Wikipedia article

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Remember, this counts only for the pictures which have the appropriate logo and licence description. However, those images are rather rare, since most of them are copyrighted. But then again, you must still provide a link to the site of the artist and give credit.

@ Kizzi: So far, it only applies to DA.

[quote='Jonas Greve' pid='1315773' dateline='1225822780']
You must be joking... I'll never make cards on this site again. Ever. Maybe. But seriously come on, what if the artist never replies? And how the h*** are we supposed to find the image again? And you are going to force us to make a deviart account just so that we can make cards? No, come on, seriously...

EDIT: Hey, i've got an idea! Some images it says copyright can't we use the ones where it doesn't say copyright?
[/quote]

Everything is copyright the moment it is created. (http://whatiscopyright.org)

First off, I'm a dA member with a restriction free art account for proxy card makers (http://proxyartist.deviantart.com). Otherwise deviantART has it stated in their FAQ that:

[quote]Can I use the images I find on deviantART?
All original works on deviantART are the legal property of the submitting artist. If you want to use a work you need to ask for permission from the artist, who is free to set whatever terms and conditions they wish. Permission should be obtained regardless of how you plan to use the work but especially if you plan to use it commercially.

To contact a member of deviantART, you can use the contact information available on the deviant's personal page (e-mail, instant messenger,...) or (if you are a member of deviantART yourself) write the artist a note.

DeviantART possesses no ownership claim in any submission and cannot grant you any license or permission for use.

Stock submissions and certain submissions marked with a Creative Commons License already have certain terms and conditions attached and can be used without directly contacting the artist providing that you obey the rules set for each work (which may vary from work to work).[/quote]

You can find that at: http://help.deviantart.com/94/ if you don't believe me. Yes we work hard on our artwork, and we'd like others to respect it. That's why I made the separate account after a similar fiasco over at the Magic The Gathering Salvation forums (registered with same username).

Most artists will probably say yes if you ask em. And accounts are free.

Obvious attempt at dA trying to get more members

...you're joking right?

dA has millions of members.. it hardly needs to go begging for more on card forums. Furthermore your cards aren't even allowed to be uploaded there as far as I know.

Last I heard it was only proxy cards with the submitters own artwork allowed on dA' date=' and then only in scraps. Everything else = violation of the Copyright Policy. And begging for members? We [b']Artists[/b] want our work respected.

Well, it was only a matter of time. I think that iwas one of maybe 5 who was questioning wheter it was legal or not to use these images for cards back when i began posting, but i ignored it and did anyway. Unfortunately for us but good for everyone there(which would include me if i had something like a scanner. I'm an amazing artist, according all my friends and art teachers! :D) is that the art is freakin' amazing, way better than google, and is one of our only resources for art even close to what is expected of a card.

This, of course, doesn't apply to n00bs, since all they do is make blurry TDI cards anyway.

And, does this apply to pics we use as appearances we use for RP characters? If it does, i'm screwed all together...:(

@ selizabeth: Did yu join simply for this reason? You don't sound like someone who'd be on this forum, to me at least.

Well' date=' it was only a matter of time. I think that iwas one of maybe 5 who was questioning wheter it was legal or not to use these images for cards back when i began posting, but i ignored it and did anyway. Unfortunately for us but good for everyone there(which would include me if i had something like a scanner. I'm an amazing artist, according all my friends and art teachers! :D) is that the art is freakin' amazing, way better than google, and is one of our only resources for art even close to what is expected of a card.

This, of course, doesn't apply to n00bs, since all they do is make blurry TDI cards anyway.

And, does this apply to pics we use as appearances we use for RP characters? If it does, i'm screwed all together...:(

@ selizabeth: Did yu join simply for this reason? You don't sound like someone who'd be on this forum, to me at least.

[/quote']

Yes, I was pointed here in a thread on dA and made an account to bring up my concerns over the mass art theft going on.

Well' date=' it was only a matter of time. I think that iwas one of maybe 5 who was questioning wheter it was legal or not to use these images for cards back when i began posting, but i ignored it and did anyway. Unfortunately for us but good for everyone there(which would include me if i had something like a scanner. I'm an amazing artist, according all my friends and art teachers! :D) is that the art is freakin' amazing, way better than google, and is one of our only resources for art even close to what is expected of a card.

[/quote']

Yes, I was pointed here in a thread on dA and made an account to bring up my concerns over the mass art theft going on.

I figured. The way you said "sucha card forum" in the forst post's quote made me think so. not that it matters; just wondering.

Archived