Cussing... Immature or Cool...

Careless Whisper

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all depends on context. Filling sentence gaps with swear words proves that one is unintelligent due to the inability to express themselves in any other way. However, I see nothing wrong with swearing if used rationally- sometimes it can help get a point across when other words just don't have the same oomph.

Just a question I came to during Bible Study the other night...

Yeah' date=' do you view cussing as cool? Or are you like me, and say it's very immature and unintelligent?

[/quote']

I thought you were agnostic.

Anyway, I think that, when used appropriately, cursing should be viewed as acceptable. What I mean is, if the need arises to use those words, it should be deamened appropriate, although cursing randomly and in abundance is immature.

Cussing generally leads to highly unimaginative exchanges that are essentially a more adult version of "NO U!", "NO U!", "NO U!". I don't find the words themselves offensive, but I have far more respect for those with the imagination and wit to get their point across without being forced to fall back upon generic swears. That is why you never see me using any swears harsher than "bloody"; I'm frank to the point of rudeness, but I do have my standards, and have no intention of degrading the quality of my posts to a series of contests over who can cuss the most. (The one major exception, of course, is the Wilford Brimley rants, for comedic purposes.)

"Curse" words have a meaning just like any other word. F*ck means "to have sex with", sh*t means feces, etc. etc.

The fact that they have acquired this social "taboo" (I put taboo in parenthesis because most people do swear, it's not like incest or homosexuality where it's actually an unusual thing) is completely nonsensical. Not to mention, the words were originally used as insults because of the nature of their meaning. Calling someone a b*tch was like equating them to a dog (specifically of the female variety) and that was considered insulting. Eventually, they picked up the "taboo" and aren't supposed to be said anymore. Yet you will noticed that dog is not considered a curse anymore, when it was originally equally insulting to the receiving end. Sh*t is bad to say to someone, but poop is not. @$$ but not butt, etc. etc.

Therefore, the creation of swear words is completely arbitrary.

Also, even if you ignore the actual definitions of the words and look at the context in which they are used today, they are simply a way of expressing exclamation (especially anger). If you're not aloud to say "F*ck that hurt!" anymore, than a new phrase just pops up in it's place. Darn is a replacement of Damn, as is dang. Same use, so why should one be considered profane?

When it comes down to it, there is no reasonable moral objection to the use of profanity. Now that we've established that, there is a reason why you should avoid making it a habit. Since swear words have their own inherent taboo, they are an instant medium through which to express displeasure, etc. You can simply default to "sh*t!" without having to bother actually trying to articulate your feelings. This causes less creativity, development of vocabulary, etc.

And of course, the people who manage to fit more profanity into a sentence than normal speech. That's a problem too. For example, there's a guy at my locals who literally talks like this: "And what the f*ck, that f*cking little f*ckbugger f*cking climbed the f*ck up the f*cking pole. F*ck, it f*cking was so f*cking hilarious."

I mean, really. In addition to being annoying as all get out, it adds nothing to the meaning of his speech, does not fit the context, and wastes our time by making us have to sort through the wave of F-bombs coming at us to figure out what he's saying. This guy probably think it makes him look "cool" or like a "rebel" etc. etc. but all it does is make him look like a bumbling idiot.

Swearing IS a sin' date=' but everyone Sins.

I suppose it's Cool, but after a while, it gets wierd.

[/quote']

Sadly, it's too easy to sin...

It is only immature if someone uses it as a substitute for every second word in a sentence' date=' but other wise it depends on how you as an individual percieves it (i.e wether you think it's good or bad is up to you)

i have no problem with swearing but that is only due to my upbringing.

[/quote']

It all depends on context. Filling sentence gaps with swear words proves that one is unintelligent due to the inability to express themselves in any other way. However' date=' I see nothing wrong with swearing if used rationally- sometimes it can help get a point across when other words just don't have the same oomph.

[/quote']

Previous 2 posts are true.

Cursing is only bad if people use it every other word. I got brought up with it as being wrong to swear....but my dad uses it alot.

These posts are true.

Archived