[Leaderboard] Dragon Sage vs Dova

Northern Sage

Rules:

-All Leaderboard rules apply.
First to 3 votes or most votes by the deadline wins.
All voters must elaborate on their votes.

Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.

-Written cards are allowed. (Must be in written format, cards with blank pictures are not acceptable)

-Cards must be PM'd to me.
-Remove any evidence of the card being made by you to ensure anonymity.
-In case a downtime happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Rewards:

-The winner gets a rep from the loser.
-All voters get a rep for voting.

Deadlines:
-The deadline for entries is February 5, 11:59 P.M. GMT+1.

-The contest ends on February 8, 11:59 P.M. GMT+1.

Requirement:

Challenger's choice.

A monster which can perform a "Generic Xyz Evolution", except it Ranks Down.

Card A:

xt7UHJF.jpg

2 Level 3 Insect-type monsters

You can also Xyz Summon this card using a Rank 5 or higher Insect-type Xyz Monster you control (Xyz Materials attached to that monster become Xyz Materials on this card). You can only Special Summon 1 "Blossomed Atlas" per turn this way. This card gains 100 ATK for each Xyz Material attached to it. Once per turn: You can attach 1 Insect-type monster in your Graveyard to a face-up Xyz Monster you control as an Xyz Material, but you cannot detach Xyz Materials from that monster for the rest of the turn.

Card B:

A4Vbjq4.png

3 Level 3 Beast-Warrior-type monsters
You can also Xyz Summon "Eldros, the Cursed Drakon" by using a Rank 4 Dragon-type Xyz monster you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz material from this card; Add 1 Level 4 or lower monster from your Graveyard to your hand. It cannot activate its effects this turn. If a Dragon-type monster you control battles while this card has Xyz Material(s), your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.

Vote for Card B.

Card A:

It simply looks so underwhelming. It exchanges a Rank 5+ Insect monster for a monster whose effect doesn't provide any immediate advantage and a lackluster ATK, starting with 1800 and can gain an average of 200~300 ATK, or a bit more if you didn't detach anything from the previous Rank 5+ monster and/or Summoned one that requires more than 3 materials. And it still wouldn't be a remarkable ATK value. You may as well Xyz evolve into Gaia Dragon, the Thunder Charger instead.

Card B:

2500 ATK is a good number and the Dragon-Type requirements and support are strange considering this is Beast-Warrior monster, but useful anyway. Moreover, it offers you card advantage with the recovery effect, although personally this feels like a slippery slope and prone to abuse by, let's say, Summoning multiple Rank 4 Dragon monsters, overlay a copy of this over all of them, and activate their effects that same turn for essentially a +3; for that reason, this effect deserves a hard OPT clause in my opinion or alternatively a hard OPT Summon like Cyber Dragon Infinity's. Regardless, the card offers more than Card A.

Card A's summon conditions essentially restrict its usage to Digital Bugs (which are pretty bad for the most part at present) and Inzektors (which haven't seen a lot of play in a while). Granted, the attach effect is nice but I don't see much use of it as-is. Like Voltex mentioned, you're better off making Gaia Charger off of that Rank 5 as opposed to going into this, taking into consideration the available candidates in the first place.

Card B's flavor is awkward, but given DRXD is commonly used, you at least have a usable avenue into this (as well as 82 / Ouroboros in terms of usable options nowadays; maybe Laggia/Dolkka if Evols are still usable nowadays). The recycling effect is nice, though there are other R4 decks that spam like crazy + could make multiple DRXD or something, but I don't think they'd want to over their other options (not sure on how often Dragons themselves R4 into the aforementioned monsters nowadays, but I don't think they can do it consistently).

----

So in a way, B gets my vote for being more usable.

A really doesn't do too much aside from helping with detaches, and lack of viable candidates to "evolve down" from further exacerbates its usability issues.

Voting for B not because I'm a particular fan of it but because A is genuinely just terrible. ATK gain is a redundant type of effect unless its either a large amount (100 per material truly is not) or blanket (this only gives itself the meager increase). It works with Digital Bugs but I'm honestly not bothered looking into them more after seeing that the boosts they give as materials only applies to monsters summoned by using them and they're really a shitey deck anyway.

As for B, it can be brought out onto a DRXD and recycles things for you. It's perfectly fair and decent, not what I'd call good but a solid thing considering how its basically just an extra effect on top of that which it overlays unto. Almost wins by default really, but it is comfortably better. Stats are very good also, above the usual mark for 3s but Dante is basically 2500 so this is broaching the same territory which I like.

Archived