[Leaderboard] Striker vs XOXO

Nathanael D. Striker

Rules:

All Leaderboard rules apply.

Cards must be submitted through PM by 1:30pm PST on 2/5
First to 3 votes or most votes by 9pm PST on 2/6 wins.
If there are no votes after the deadline, next vote wins.
All voters must elaborate on their votes.
The contestants and I have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why we don't accept it.
Contestants have 12 hours after the last vote is cast to refuse any vote within reason.
Written cards are allowed. (Must be in written format, cards with blank pictures are not acceptable)

Create a stat (Level, ATK, DEF, Attribute, Type) modifying Quick-Play Spell.

Rewards:
The winner gets a rep from the loser.
All voters get a rep for voting.

Card A

Soul Transfer
Quick-Play Spell
When a monster is sent to your Graveyard, you can target 1 monster you control. It gains ATK and DEF equal to half that monster's ATK and DEF and gains it's effects your next End Phase.

Card B

Coordinated Attack

Quick-Play Spell

Target 2 Level 4 or lower monsters; increase the first target's ATK by the ATK of the second target until the end of the turn, and if you do, the second target cannot declare an attack this turn.

Card A is missing an "until" for the end phase effect, also a colon and semicolon. Just notifying you to make it look nicer, cuz written.

Card A and B both rely on a monster, and both effects are useful in the same way, but A is more powerful, because of the lack of the level restriction and effect giver. Is it overpowered? I really don't know, but as far as I think it would have to be no, considering it's a -1 to play it, but it also go in the damage step. I can't see any deck which would run that card over one of their own. Gem-Knights, maybe? Chimera in Fluffals?

I'm going with A unless someone can show me it is overpowered.

Card A allows some monster of your choice to gain the power of any monster that goes to your Graveyard. Flavor-wise, the effect works (though I will assume that whoever made this card knows about its interactions with Xyz Monsters that require materials to detach, if you choose to trigger this card upon sending stuff + having a monster of choice gain its effects). But otherwise, it is usable in the long run + isn't bound by restrictions.

Card B is pretty much a Level 4 limited version of Union Attack, if you remember what that card does. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing, though (and you still can attack with other monsters that weren't targeted via its effect), but nowadays most Level 4 heavy Decks would've gone into their Xyz. Might have some usage, but given the pool at present, not really.

------

So yeah, vote for A.

Card B is a bit underpowered, I don't see a deck where I would run this, (Competitors can suggest something). I also recall a spell card with a similar effect, letting you combine all monsters attacks into one. Card A seems ok, not overpowered because you have to activate when a monster is destroyed. This could be used in some decks, where you can use that with the destruction effect of a monster.

Vote to Card A

Okay, I'm slightly more inclined to Card B now, because feel like a free "prevent attacking" and an ATK boost for your monster works. However, I am more interested in Card A still, due to the effect thing, considering it opens up the doors to many possibilities.

Okay, I'm slightly more inclined to Card B now, because feel like a free "prevent attacking" and an ATK boost for your monster works. However, I am more interested in Card A still, due to the effect thing, considering it opens up the doors to many possibilities.

So, changing vote or keeping it the same?

Well, with that in mind, card B does have better usage (though it still depends on whether or not the opponent has a suitable Level 4 and under you can steal power from) and yeah, cuts off their attack for the turn.

Still prefer A for more consistency (and the effect gaining); it's restricted to your own board, but at least you can build off of any monster as opposed to Level 4 and under (and yeah, not reliant on the opponent's plays if you wanted to go that path). B is better after the clarification (I could've sworn that it just said Level 4 monsters at the time of voting, but meh), but I'd prefer taking the halved stats and effects for a longer period of time, as opposed to a one-shot boost.

Vote for Card A all the way.

Card B seems kinda pointless when monster #1 gains the ATK of monster #2, but monster #2 cannot attack in exchange, plus it only applies on level 4 or lower monsters and you must control at least 2 of them to activate it. It should be useful for getting over big monsters, but that's a quite underwhelming application when you could be teching other less dependent cards for that purpose.

On the other hand, Card A offers much more to the player. Although it requires a monster to be sent to the Graveyard to become live, this condition can be easily fulfilled through Fusion, Tribute and Synchro Summon, as well as detaching Xyz material monsters, in addition to any discard, mill and/or destruction play the deck may inherently have. Then, not only it grants a monster an ATK bonus, also it grants it the effect of the monster in the graveyard, which can lead to amusing or even strong plays, such as combo extensions, or simply copying strong removal and/or protection effects.

Oh, it can target opponent's monster as well.

Still, it requires 2 or more Level 4 or lower monsters being on the field to be activated, which makes the card unreliable. Even if you play it defensively during the opponent's turn, generally you would only be stopping that opponent's monster from attacking, and that's if he/she doesn't use that monster for a Fusion/Synchro/Xyz/etc. Summon before entering the Battle Phase.

Archived