[Leaderboard] Excalibur vs Striker (Striker Wins)

Excalibur the Divine

Haven't done a leaderboard in over a year, let's try one

Rules:

-All Leaderboard rules apply.
First to 3 votes or most votes by the deadline wins.
All voters must elaborate on their votes.

Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.

-Written cards are allowed. (Must be in written format, cards with blank pictures are not acceptable)

-Cards must be PM'd to me.
-Remove any evidence of the card being made by you to ensure anonymity.
-In case a downtime happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Rewards:

-The winner gets a rep from the loser.
-All voters get a rep for voting.

Deadlines:

-Cards must be finished 48 hours after this post.

-Voting deadline 3 days after cards are posted.

Requirement:

Create a Level 4 or lower Pendulum monster

Card A: 

6oCniNg.png?1

PE: During your Main Phase: You can target 1 Level 4 or lower monster you control; shuffle it into your Deck, then Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with the same Level and Attribute as the target. You can only use this effect of "Guardian of the Magical Arts" once per turn.
ME: If an opponent's Spell Card, Trap Card, or monster effect is activated that would target 1 other Level 4 or lower monster you control: You can change this card to Defense Position; negate that activation, and if you, destroy that card. If this card is destroyed (by battle or by an opponent's card effect): You can add 1 Level 4 or lower LIGHT monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Guardian of the Magical Arts" once per turn

Card B:

QYtPBkK.png?1

PE: You can send all Pendulum Summoned monsters you control (min.1) to the Graveyard to Special Summon this card in face-up Defense Positon.

ME: When this card is Special Summoned by its own effect: You can target up to 3 Pendulum monsters in your Graveyard, shuffle them into the Deck, then draw 2 cards. You can only control one face-up "Eye of the Savior".

I see Card B changed names during development...alright then.

If I'm reading it right, Card B doesn't work with Pendulum monsters, because although it TRIES to send to the Graveyard, it sends them to the Extra Deck because mechanics, not allowing the summon to be complete. Yes, it works with other kinds of monsters, but most Pendulum Summoning will be with Pendulum monsters.

If I am wrong, I'll revote. Card A for the moment.

I see Card B changed names during development...alright then.

If I'm reading it right, Card B doesn't work with Pendulum monsters, because although it TRIES to send to the Graveyard, it sends them to the Extra Deck because mechanics, not allowing the summon to be complete. Yes, it works with other kinds of monsters, but most Pendulum Summoning will be with Pendulum monsters.

If I am wrong, I'll revote. Card A for the moment.

"When a Pendulum Monster (even if it is face-down) would be sent from the field to the Graveyard, either as a Monster Card or Spell Card, it is placed face-up in the Extra Deck Zone instead."

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Pendulum_Monster

Yes, it will be Summoned. The only it wouldn't be summoned is if has an "if you do" clause

Actually false. Chimeratech Fortress Dragon cannot be Summoned using Pendulums, because you cannot send them to the Graveyard to fulfill its Summon condition.

Card B gets my vote, due to the versility in Pendulum Decks, and the fact that it somewhat limits itself by having nothing besides the draw effect, which is limited to hard OPT. I find it a nice chance to make Pendulum decks run differently, and would really like to see this IRL.

Card B gets my vote, due to the versility in Pendulum Decks, and the fact that it somewhat limits itself by having nothing besides the draw effect, which is limited to hard OPT. I find it a nice chance to make Pendulum decks run differently, and would really like to see this IRL.

Eh, I'm going to object to this vote for the time being until we get a clear ruling. Sound fair?

As far as Pendulum mechanics go, they will go back to the Extra Deck if killed by battle/card effect, Tributed for an effect/summon or used as Fusion or Synchro Material; assuming that a card like Dark Law or whatever banishes is not present on the field.

Otherwise, if they are detached from an Xyz Monster as material or sent from the hand/Deck [or have their summons negated], they will go to the Graveyard as normal.

In this case, if the user of card B tries to activate its P-effect and sends Pendulum Monsters, they will go back to the Extra Deck and the conditions can't be fulfilled. Yes, it works with non-Pendulums (and we don't have any ruling issues there), but Pot of Riches already does this card's job better (and can recover stuff from the ED when needed). At the very least, it is not a one-time thing.

(I'll PM evilfusion about this afterwards, but pretty sure that it won't work if you send Pendulum Monsters.)

---

Card A offers targeting protection to other Level 4 and under monsters and searches something when she goes, which is nice. Usability-wise, not really sure what Decks can find a use for that P-effect; definitely something that runs consistent Attributes and has space for this card if they can. I'd probably say 'specters could find some use for it (if only because they can just recur whatever they return back to the Deck via their Field Spell, but most of the time, it's limited to 4s (and their support doesn't work with her). I guess one could use this card to search Ariadne/Eccentric if they wanted to, among other things.

If this were a Scale 5 or something, I'd probably say that Bujins could use this to complement Hiruko (but since this isn't, can't really do it). There are other Decks that could've used this, if certain summon restrictions weren't around. (They probably can, but that requires going through hoops to do so)

Even if its P-effect doesn't have a lot of viable places, its monster effect is decent enough to offer some protection and search stuff.

Voting card A because I feel it is better utilized overall, especially given its protection/search effects.

(When I get my query back from evilfusion regarding card B, I'll let you know. I usually get a response quickly.)

---

EDIT: Unless card B's controller has no Pendulum Monsters on the field that were P-Summoned, its self-summon effect will NOT work; hence it cannot trigger its monster effect to return stuff.

EDIT: Unless card B's controller has no Pendulum Monsters on the field that were P-Summoned, its self-summon effect will NOT work; hence it cannot trigger its monster effect to return stuff.

And with that, vote for Card A. Card B is not so useful with only non Pendulum Pendulum Summoned monsters.

Because Striker asked me to post the results of the query, here you go:

I'm not sure you can even send Pendulum Monsters as part of the Summon procedure, because Pendulums can't go to the Graveyard from the Field. Unless you only control non-Pendulums that were Pendulum Summoned, I'm pretty sure you can't even fulfill the Summon procedure.

The issue isn't the Trigger, it's the Summon procedure itself.

So yeah, card B can still work with non-Pendulums (and ONLY them).

Vote is still on A though.

Card A:

The Pendulum effect is really cute as a sort of equal-Level Transmodify, but for Level 4 or lower monsters, and looks like a fun card to toy with for searching and summoning monsters with effects that activate when Special Summoned, such as Tellarknights, Shadow Mist, and more underused cards like Sacred Crane.

Scale 2 looks fine, since at least it doesn't interfere with the Pendulum Summon of Level 4 monsters.

On the monster effect, the protection effect doesn't look as great because Level 4 or lower monsters are relatively easy to run over and generally not worth spending disruption or removal effects on them, but is a cute bonus regardless. The floating effect is nice, though, and it's good to see it cannot be activated through your own destruction effects like Plushfire and Ariadne do.

Card B:

It's awkward in my opinion. The Monster effect requires Pendulum monsters in the Graveyard, who don't reach the grave as easily because of their mechanics, while the self-Summoning Pendulum effect won't help with fulfilling said condition. Level and Scale 3 means it cannot Pendulum Summon copies of itself if you have it in a Pendulum Zone, for whatever that would be worth. Also, unless it is Special Summoned by its own effect, it is practically a vanilla.

The way I see it, this is more of a mid-to-late game advantage recovery Pot of Avarice of sorts for Pendulum decks after they have performed a couple of Xyz Summons; it's not unlike Pot of Riches actually, although there are notable differences between them: while Riches is more live with its ability of shuffling face-up Pendulums in the Extra Deck as well but comes with a summoning restriction, this requires you to sent to the grave all of your Pendulum Summoned monsters but remains on the field to be used for other purposes or at the very least as a 2000-DEF wall, plus it benefits from Pendulum Monster support (e.g. searchable by Wavering Eyes). I suppose running either this or Pot of Riches is up to the player's preferences and/or the deck's playstyle, but pseudo-nuking your own field from Pendulum Summoned monsters for accessing that Pot-of-Riches effect sounds undesirable and with high backfire potential, and thus Pot of Riches should generally be a safer choice.

Hmm... voting for Card A for this one. Card A looks fun by encouraging deck experimentation, while potentially supporting handful of established decks. Whereas Card B seems like a more impractical version of Pot of Riches.

Archived