Repost: Hive Soldier

The Nyx Avatar

A Insect-Type Xyz Monster by Insects, for Insects (because they have almost nothing in terms of Xyz or metagame altogether).

25hjZx9.jpg

LORE: 2 Level 4 Insect-Type monsters
You can only control 1 face-up "Hive Soldier". Insect-Type monsters you control are unaffected by your opponent's Trap effects. If an Insect-Type monster you control would leave the field, you can detach 1 Xyz Materilal from this card instead. If this card attacks or is attacked while it has no Xyz Materials, it is destroyed during the End Phase. Once per turn, you can Special Summon 1 Insect-Type monster that is banished or in your Graveyard; this card cannot declare an attack the turn you activate this effect.

Hive Soldier seems really solid, I must say. Base 2500 to battle off most mid-tier threats, and destruction upon no materials to keep it from erecting total field domination. Insectoid immunity to Traps is something hella overlooked, but it runs into the 'didn't start, can't start' problem of field immunity-most Decks whose defense is light enough for Hive Soldier to breathe microbes through its sexy sexy proboscis (no seriously WTF) probably doesn't have much to stop it to begin with. Traps aren't usually for monsters to stop, they're for Spells to stop. 

Its the Special Summoning of an Insect-Type monster I have a problem with. Since this is a once per turn and not a "one Hive Solder effect use per turn"..his means the Hive Soldier can channel back her deceased copies a la Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner and spin into Utopic Future. And another insect (from the last Hive Soldier).  And since you (rightly so) got on my case for Jubei's allowance of field abuse yesterday, I feel a similar solution presents itself now-that is, what I suggested before of making that effect of Hive Soldier only usable once per turn. Trust me, that distinction makes a difference.

Wait, I'm being hella sullen all of a sudden. Let me wrap this up on a higher note. 

Hive Soldier's manna to the insect race (wait, you should know, you saw my Cocoon!) but i think it may do too much for too little. Still gets an 7.5/10, just for the work you put in to making this undeservedly undervalued Type some top tier s*** again.

Hive Soldier seems really solid, I must say. Base 2500 to battle off most mid-tier threats, and destruction upon no materials to keep it from erecting total field domination. Insectoid immunity to Traps is something hella overlooked, but it runs into the 'didn't start, can't start' problem of field immunity-most Decks whose defense is light enough for Hive Soldier to breathe microbes through its sexy sexy proboscis (no seriously WTF) probably doesn't have much to stop it to begin with. Traps aren't usually for monsters to stop, they're for Spells to stop. 

Yeah; I didn't want this or any Insects for that matter to be affected by Trap Cards, as that's what tends to ruin games for them. Cards such as Torrential Tribute, any of the Normal "Hole" cards, Solemn Notice (the effect negation in this card's scenario, as opposed to negating Summons), and so on.

Its the Special Summoning of an Insect-Type monster I have a problem with. Since this is a once per turn and not a "one Hive Solder effect use per turn"..his means the Hive Soldier can channel back her deceased copies a la Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner and spin into Utopic Future. And another insect (from the last Hive Soldier).  And since you (rightly so) got on my case for Jubei's allowance of field abuse yesterday, I feel a similar solution presents itself now-that is, what I suggested before of making that effect of Hive Soldier only usable once per turn. Trust me, that distinction makes a difference.

Um, no. You can only control 1 face-up "Hive Soldier", and I rather it have that condition than a strict "once per turn" effect.

Hive Soldier's manna to the insect race (wait, you should know, you saw my Cocoon!) but i think it may do too much for too little. Still gets an 7.5/10, just for the work you put in to making this undeservedly undervalued Type some top tier s*** again.

Thanks. One of those Types that doesn't have a foot to stand on in today's game. And the most recent archetype (Digital Bug), was just awful and didn't do a justice.

pretty good, 2 level 4 insects is somewhat hard to pull off (other then inzektors, and who even plays most of the level 4 inzektors?)

its stats or pretty good, able to run over most non-boss monster cards. the only being able to control one of them makes sense, as having multiple of them at once is kind-of over powered. the trap-stopping effects is amazing, (personally, because no one ever plays meta at my LGS) and the protection effect helps, i guess (insects aren't really the things that need to be protected, other than PUGM i guess..... lol perfectly ultimate great moth lol) the dying effect is meh... its like utopia... and i like utopia.... and the re-summon effect is actually pretty good.

pretty good, 2 level 4 insects is somewhat hard to pull off (other then inzektors, and who even plays most of the level 4 inzektors?)

I was thinking Aztekipede, but sure.

its stats or pretty good, able to run over most non-boss monster cards. the only being able to control one of them makes sense, as having multiple of them at once is kind-of over powered.

You can only control 1.

(insects aren't really the things that need to be protected, other than PUGM i guess..... lol perfectly ultimate great moth lol)

You have no idea how often they die to Trap Cards.

dying effect is meh... its like utopia... and i like utopia.... and the re-summon effect is actually pretty good.

I wanted to tie it in like a real bee; like without it's stinger it dies, this dies without it's Xyz Material.

Btw Ladybug plays you don't need the level 4s (sometimes Hopper is good). Besides that point this would be a must have for anything that can manage to bring this out. Inzektors would have a decent foothold in being tier 2.

It presents a strong floating/boss monster to survive the meta. Being able to safe guard from a lot of cards even battle is good. But this cards detach effect doesn't work to mass board wiping effect (that aren't traps). And the once per turn summon is key to adding consistency to an Insect decks field presence problems.

Btw Ladybug plays you don't need the level 4s (sometimes Hopper is good). Besides that point this would be a must have for anything that can manage to bring this out. Inzektors would have a decent foothold in being tier 2.

It presents a strong floating/boss monster to survive the meta. Being able to safe guard from a lot of cards even battle is good. But this cards detach effect doesn't work to mass board wiping effect (that aren't traps). And the once per turn summon is key to adding consistency to an Insect decks field presence problems.

That's fine; I can't make this card a complete blanket, either.

excuse me, inzektor, check your privilege,

I like that it makes everything unaffected by traps, but that really doesn't stop all that much. You can't really stop Warning or Strike, which are basically the best traps in the game right now. Also, this may just be a pet peeve, but "leave the field" is a bothersome phrase for me, because it stops too much. The reason we have different removal is because we need to get over some hurdles. It could be used as a synchro, fusion, or Xyz material, Tributed for a Tribute or Ritual summon, amongst other means, so you'd basically be using an Xyz material as a synchro material.

...don't steal that idea from me.

The next effect is a balancer..? I personally don't think this is OP enough to require a self-destruction effect, considering it has an average 2500 ATK. Also, it happens during the End Phase, so players may not even make it a big deal, since they can make Utopic Future and it wouldn't have even mattered. 

The last effect is definitely helpful, since you can just summon back your materials. I believe resonance insect does something with banishing, so you could bring it back and make another one, which could be another reason for its self-destruction, but Utopic Future is probably a better option.

I like that it makes everything unaffected by traps, but that really doesn't stop all that much. You can't really stop Warning or Strike, which are basically the best traps in the game right now. Also, this may just be a pet peeve, but "leave the field" is a bothersome phrase for me, because it stops too much. The reason we have different removal is because we need to get over some hurdles. It could be used as a synchro, fusion, or Xyz material, Tributed for a Tribute or Ritual summon, amongst other means, so you'd basically be using an Xyz material as a synchro material.

...don't steal that idea from me.

The next effect is a balancer..? I personally don't think this is OP enough to require a self-destruction effect, considering it has an average 2500 ATK. Also, it happens during the End Phase, so players may not even make it a big deal, since they can make Utopic Future and it wouldn't have even mattered. 

The last effect is definitely helpful, since you can just summon back your materials. I believe resonance insect does something with banishing, so you could bring it back and make another one, which could be another reason for its self-destruction, but Utopic Future is probably a better option.

Thank you!

excuse me, inzektor, check your privilege,

What do you mean?

Hmm... the card is strong, but I cannot but find it a bit... bland or lazy, I guess.

I mean, 2 protection effects seem redundant, an OPT revival, that as bonus can pick banished monsters as well, feels generic, and also comes with a solid ATK value of 2500. In other words, it can continuously Summon insects under the safety of its own protection effects, and that feels a bit too convenient to me.

In a way it looks like it does too much for a type-specific Rank4, even if one could say insects deserve it because of their lack of presence in the metagame and Xyz pools.

By the way, this is an OCG nitpick but the second protection effect being able to substitute an insect leaving the field, including by card mechanics, may be problematic; I suggest to bind it to field removal by battle or effects, otherwise, you could try to shark it by, let's say, detaching a material from this card instead of using an insect monster as Tribute/Synchro Summon material.

Archived