Asking about people that like drawing~

Sleepy

When I was new to the site almost a decade ago, the first part of the community to grab me was a group of members that drew their own Yugioh cards for CC. I think we started off pretty meh in terms of actual game-play and prioritized how much we liked the images xD

If more people that like that sort of thing are around, I'd like to find out.

I also just bumped into a few amusing challenges that look easy and fun to do, about fusing Pokemon or changing a Pokemon's type, and although these days I'm more busy and even have other projects in my head, I thought it'd be worth putting this suggestion out there.

Here's the videos where I found the idea basically:

I never got into splicing, but I've done my share of hand-drawn pixel art in my day. It's not really a hobby I pursue much because it's so much trial and error trying to get the shapes of an image I really like, and I don't really have the time or attention span to just sit down and focus on a piece. With anything artistic, including games like Minecraft or Space Engineers that involve me working creatively, if I can't get something to look the way I want it to, or it just isn't shaping up very quickly, my motivation to keep going just dies immediately.

If I spent more time on pencil/pen drawing, I'm sure I could get practiced up on a good style and get it down-pat, but again, time and attention span. I enjoy a lot of things about art, but the thing about stuff not working out killing my motivation is a big roadblock.

I still draw my cards, working on a set right now, I just tend not to release them. I try to catch Card Contests (usually CC monthly) when I can and draw something there.

I still work on Pokemon Game ideas with sprites and such, just hard to put so much effort(story, sprites, etc) into something like a game when you won't get much out of for your effort, as with anything fanmade.

Making cards tho is fun. Mainly cause it's just a solitary image. The Idea of drawing challenges is also fun.

You just convinced me for some reason that a sketching club would be really cool, like just a bunch of people on here of different skill levels, even completely beginners who like to draw and or doodle uploading random sketches. And of course comment on each others work and help one another to improve.

The issue of course is getting people to be interested in that sort of thing.

Occasionally I draw stuff (either for cards or stuff), but those tend to be far and in between lately. (I think Sleepy got a glimpse of some of said artwork on Discord; well, least with my previous avatar there). To be fair though, current avatar is a vectorized form of something I drew back in May. 

[spoiler=Front leg needs work and definite shading on back rear leg]

Flash_Flyer_-_Hayashi.png

(Yes, it's a reindeer)

I think the red glow filter I put on in Photoshop is too much; original vector technically DOES have a shadow on the back leg. And yes, I did make this for a card.

As much as I'd like to do more, I still have my own limitations on drawing (especially when it's more on the anime/manga style and less Western); that, and obviously engineering coursework doesn't grant me time to draw much. 

===

Tried doing sprites when Night made tutorial; didn't really turn out great (probably blame my crappy Linux Paint equivalent) so I went back to doing tags. 

===

Might be good to draw more, but again, really depends on how much free time I can get (and if my scanner doesn't crap out on me at home). Usually end up coloring it on Photoshop or something (as I do not own a graphics tablet with SAI or whatever else that exists).

I still draw my cards, working on a set right now, I just tend not to release them. I try to catch Card Contests (usually CC monthly) when I can and draw something there.

I still work on Pokemon Game ideas with sprites and such, just hard to put so much effort(story, sprites, etc) into something like a game when you won't get much out of for your effort, as with anything fanmade.

Making cards tho is fun. Mainly cause it's just a solitary image. The Idea of drawing challenges is also fun.

You are the last surviving member of my crew of friends from back then. Fuzzie isn't even active in his YouTube and well, there's Saikano at Tumblr but I wish my ability to upload drawings with frequency outmatched the amount of things I feel tempted to share over there lol.

I also do that, I make my own cards and other stuff but don't really upload them. The card maker is so outdated and even if it was up to date it'd still fall short on helping me do custom mechanics so yeah.....

Drawing challenges would for sure be a fun thing ;D

Occasionally I draw stuff (either for cards or stuff), but those tend to be far and in between lately. (I think Sleepy got a glimpse of some of said artwork on Discord; well, least with my previous avatar there). To be fair though, current avatar is a vectorized form of something I drew back in May. 

[spoiler=Front leg needs work and definite shading on back rear leg]

Flash_Flyer_-_Hayashi.png

(Yes, it's a reindeer)

I think the red glow filter I put on in Photoshop is too much; original vector technically DOES have a shadow on the back leg. And yes, I did make this for a card.

As much as I'd like to do more, I still have my own limitations on drawing (especially when it's more on the anime/manga style and less Western); that, and obviously engineering coursework doesn't grant me time to draw much. 

===

Tried doing sprites when Night made tutorial; didn't really turn out great (probably blame my crappy Linux Paint equivalent) so I went back to doing tags. 

===

Might be good to draw more, but again, really depends on how much free time I can get (and if my scanner doesn't crap out on me at home). Usually end up coloring it on Photoshop or something (as I do not own a graphics tablet with SAI or whatever else that exists).

Anime/manga style is fine and can look pretty gorgeous so I think you'd do well ;D

I've known people that only do anime-looking stuff and are like "but it's my style". I think that's the stance that makes anime iffy to some art teachers xD

We all always have limitations to work on. I'm still working on improving on some of the tips I got at my last drawing's thread (Gungnir) and some of my short-comings I'm just now starting to identify better ^^"

I would like to learn to do more digital and if possible, I need to look into how to make animation. Though time and resources are an issue I'm still struggling with.

You just convinced me for some reason that a sketching club would be really cool, like just a bunch of people on here of different skill levels, even completely beginners who like to draw and or doodle uploading random sketches. And of course comment on each others work and help one another to improve.

The issue of course is getting people to be interested in that sort of thing.

Yeah, it isn't very common, though hearing this post from you makes me want to make a club and see how it goes.

Archived