Should we abolish religion?

Willieh

This is a very touchy, very touchy, very touchy, I cant stress it enough, very touchy subject. If you are sensitive to such thoughts PLEASE LEAVE.

Okay, I saw this, and this thread is basically a response to static's thread about genocide. He brought up the subject about making an all atheist world. Now this seems very harsh at first, but think about it. If there are all atheist on the earth, all the conflict between religions would be abolished. Muslims would be gone, meaning no more suicide bombers...But on the other hand...

You're wiping out an entire group of people. World peace is impossible, and this wouldn't result in world peace. It would, at best, stop all the problems going on between religions. Also religion is a very healthy thing to have in life. It gives you something to live for, it gives you something to die for, and it gives you something to explain the world.

So my question is, What do you think?

debate about it peoplez

*I'm going to primarily thank static for bringing up the idea*

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You said it yourself.

Abolishing religion would lead to world turmoil.

Imagine Mel Gibson.

His sh*t fit about it would shake the earths foundations.

It would be better without it, but it would be to unstable.

Right now, the worlds as close to being balanced as its gonna be.

=S.

2sick~

Religion to me has always been a group of "Believers" thinking that there is a Savior that will save them all. Think about it. Religion was first well known due to the Holy Bible and the Bible is a load of Crap I might add as well. A man with a flowing white beard created the world. Get rid of Religion and you get rid of the Churches and other places of Worship that drains the Financial Sector. With out Religion, Buisnesses can grow faster, Technology can make greater leaps, and best of all we would believe in 1 thing rather then a load of Bible-Bashing rubbish.

And there is more to life then a Religion. Why not die for a good cause. Winning the Olympic Games, Becoming one of the worlds greatest Video Game Players. the choices are endless. You don't need a Religion to hold your hand. You can believe in so so much more.

No we shouldnt' date=' it should stay. Its for those who cannot believe in themselves... And thats a good thing...

[/quote']

And who would they believe in? A Six Armed Elephant Headed God? Come on.....

we mussnt upset the natural order

one thing cannot exist without the other (whatever the OTHER thing may be...)

That's kind of what my opinion was, until I fully understood what static and 2sick4u meant by this whole thing. It would probably make the world a better place; if you could find a way to make all of the people believe it.

In some way, any belief you hold can be somewhat religious

Not in the sense of a God necessarily, but still

And getting rid of all religions worldwide wouldn't solve much

Sure, it would end things like suicide bombings, etc.

But something like that could end up destroying the world instead of helping it

~Clariex

Well, I say get rid of them, it would make my world a lot better, BUT, there is a fun alternative.

Don't let religious people raise children, and have alternative people teach them what makes sense, and in such a way that they learn to live logically and accept things for what they are, to MAKE THEM STRONGER INDIVIDUALS, rather than let them be taught faith, and make them WEAKER individuals.

Its about the whole, and as a whole, we divide ourselves in so many different ways that if we ever want to fix such a problem, we must be willing to take drastic action, and fit the pieces back together, the pieces that when separate, allow difference to manifest in conflict.

I will start my post with one of my favourite quotations

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself."

Sir Richard Francis Burton

It is pretty much self-explanatory. The world has no need for religion because humans in all the big religions has always worshiped themselves. The bible does not say to be vegetarian since the animals were created by god. It says that animals were created to fill the human needs, if we are all created by god why are humans and animals equal?

Abolishing religions will bring war and terror but again humans will not stop worshiping themselves therefore, nothing would really change.

Don't let religious people raise children' date=' and have alternative people teach them what makes sense, and in such a way that they learn to live logically and accept things for what they are, to MAKE THEM STRONGER INDIVIDUALS, rather than let them be taught faith, and make them WEAKER individuals.

[/quote']

Well...... that wouldn't do much work no?

First of all: you cannot stop religious people make children it's their right.

Second of all: I was raised in a religious family but now the things I hate the most are ignorance and religions which in a way or two are synonyms for me.

So it doesn't matter the way the child was raised, but matters the type of person whether he/she is strong enough to believe in his/herself and doesn't find the need to believe in any god(s)

In some way' date=' any belief you hold can be somewhat religious

[b']Sure, it would end things like suicide bombings, etc.[/b]

~Clariex

You shrug that off as if it's nothing. That's a big "Sure".

In some way' date=' any belief you hold can be somewhat religious

Sure, it would end things like suicide bombings, etc.

~Clariex[/color']

You know, religion is just killing the world slowly.

But what you were forgetting when you posted that, was how ignorant you are.

In America and Australia, and a certain few other free countries, religions a freedom for any resident.

In other countries, like China, well, Rural China, Christians have to pray in a concrete room five feet underground.

The fact that rural China is executing those with faith, WITHOUT ANARCHY or Rebellion, shows that the world wouldn't infact be thrown into to much sh*t.

However, a simpler option I saw Static post today is a better alternative, without too much Chaos.

Anyone that currently participates in religious practices should get a vasectomy.

Thus meaning, only those without faith, or lifestyles, of a religious way can reproduce.

What that means is the children of the next generation can be educated without religion.

Eventually, religion dies out, and the world shares a balance of opinion.

=/.

2sick~

EDIT: Wow. Just realized Static posted that in this thread. O.o". Ahh well.

I will start my post with one of my favourite quotations

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself."

Sir Richard Francis Burton

It is pretty much self-explanatory. The world has no need for religion because humans in all the big religions has always worshiped themselves. The bible does not say to be vegetarian since the animals were created by god. It says that animals were created to fill the human needs' date=' if we are all created by god why are humans and animals equal?

Abolishing religions will bring war and terror but again humans will not stop worshiping themselves therefore, nothing would really change.

Don't let religious people raise children, and have alternative people teach them what makes sense, and in such a way that they learn to live logically and accept things for what they are, to MAKE THEM STRONGER INDIVIDUALS, rather than let them be taught faith, and make them WEAKER individuals.

Well...... that wouldn't do much work no?

First of all: you cannot stop religious people make children it's their right.

Second of all: I was raised in a religious family but now the things I hate the most are ignorance and religions which in a way or two are synonyms for me.

So it doesn't matter the way the child was raised, but matters the type of person whether he/she is strong enough to believe in his/herself and doesn't find the need to believe in any god(s)

First off.

"Obviously our first step must be immediately to establish and advertise drastic policies designed to bring our own population size under control."

"...The first task is population control at home. How do we go about it? Many of my colleagues feel that some sort of compulsory birth regulation would be necessary to achieve such control. One plan often mentioned involves the addition of temporary sterilants to water supplies or staple food. Doses of the antidote would be carefully rationed by the government to produce the desired population size."

- Paul Ehrlich

That. May. Happen.

Second, its better when everyone around you believes what you believe, it strengthens belief, and in our cause, it strengthens truth.

Only two religions, or pathways should exist in my opinion. Atheism, due to obvious reasons and also Agnosticism. Both of these are very related and even though people may believe in god, goddess, or what they like. I myself am a believer in the theory's of Agnostic Atheism, the believe that gods may exist but due to lack of proof it isn't something we should believe in. Plain and simple old religions like Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and such may have been useful at the times they were created but they were created for those times. It's stupid now to follow these religions when the times now are so different it's hard to relate stuff, every know and then people of religion come and say something is a sin or evil when there is no real proof in the books they follow. Religions have been an important and useful when their job was to unite people and achieve peace but those were different times.

So yes, religion should be abolished and replaced by two theory's, Athesim and Agnosticism.

This doesn't solve anything man kind will always fight over something, its the way we're designed so abolish religion does nothing. I can't really see what good abolishing religion would do, I mean it goes back a hell of a lot of years the whole worshipping a god or gods.

Only two religions' date=' or pathways should exist in my opinion. Atheism, due to obvious reasons and also Agnosticism. Both of these are very related and even though people may believe in god, goddess, or what they like. I myself am a believer in the theory's of Agnostic Atheism, the believe that gods may exist but due to lack of proof it isn't something we should believe in. Plain and simple old religions like Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and such may have been useful at the times they were created but they were created for those times. It's stupid now to follow these religions when the times now are so different it's hard to relate stuff, every know and then people of religion come and say something is a sin or evil when there is no real proof in the books they follow. Religions have been an important and useful when their job was to unite people and achieve peace but those were different times.

So yes, religion should be abolished and replaced by two theory's, Athesim and Agnosticism.[/quote']

*sigh*You apparently don't know very much about other forms of beliefs which go more into the philosophical direction.

I see your point and you're thinking about the more critical forms of theological thoughts. However, there are not only atheism annd agnosticism, but what about deism, theosophy, acosmism, determinism, monism and so on?

Actually I noticed that quite a lot of people here have certain difficulties with seeing the difference between extremists and the "modern" religious people.

Determinism is a part of atheism. If you believe in free will and you're an atheist, you're a retard. Hate to put it bluntly, but any way to think about anything that makes sense should be promoted, unless something else that it would contradict makes more sense.

I believe that different people have different opinions & beliefs & the system should allow religion as long it does not threaten global safety.

That sounded so American.

Freedom of Religion is a mistake. People should not be allowed to be wrongfully deceived. It is their right to know the truth' date=' and for their children to know the truth, and for their children to be raised to think intelligently, based on logic and reason, and not on outdated emotions like hope and faith. Mental Weakness [u']shall be... Eliminated[/u]

Ok

for all those people who are for religion

God isn't real, he has and never will be

don't go and try and tell me that has existed and he will back to save us, blah blah blah

cuz it aint happened no matter what the hell you do.

"God" is fake, a made up story

to help people like you, who could not normally go on with normal everyday lives, so you could use him as an excuse.

as a way to think that your pathetic live if worth living for.

if anyone says nay to this,

please, explain,

please, tell me why

please, i dare you.

Bloodrun with that response, my respect for you has just Soared ;) There is no God. Look every Sunday and you will see people going to Church to pray. And for what? Nothing. Sure people can believe in something to make them feel better but can't it at least be real?

Right i'm not Racist but another reason I have decided to post for a second time here is due to the amount of Mosques being built in the UK. It feels like a new one pops up every week. Also if believing in a Man with a flowing beard is strange what about the people who believe in Gods like Ganesh? (Hindu God with 6 arms and a Elephant head I think) Seriously you think that thing is going to come and save you? We save ourselves, the feeling of Union is what gets us along in life. You don't need something else to help that you need each other.

@ Jspamax. I feel so bad for you, that disease seems to spread rapidly. I hear carpet cleaner applied to the turban can be lethal.

@ Bloodrun. +1 from the heart. Srsly. Thats the best +1 I can give, and I don't give higher than +1's lest you do something.... Absolutely Amazing. Like the only person over the internet to ever get more than a +1 from the heart from me was Dendrophillian on youtube, who gets +2 for spreading the truth AND for owning Jezuzfreek regularly.

I believe that different people have different opinions & beliefs & the system should allow religion as long it does not threaten global safety.

That sounded so American.

Freedom of Religion is a mistake. People should not be allowed to be wrongfully deceived. It is their right to know the truth' date=' and for their children to know the truth, and for their children to be raised to think intelligently, based on logic and reason, and not on outdated emotions like hope and faith. Mental Weakness [u']shall be... Eliminated[/u]

but every single drive is based on one's emotions.Therefore,religion is allowed as long as someone believes in it.

Archived