Do your parents like the music you listen to?

Dismal Euphony

I share my interest with Country music with my parents (most especially my dad, he's the one I got the interest from to begin with. ;) )

My mom likes my acoustic stuff (Jack Johnson, Sublime) and classical, and my dad likes a lot of old rock (Boston, Kansas, Styx) and so shares that with me and by extension a lot of Power Metal. (basically the modern extension of that style of music.)

They can appreciate any of my Symphonic stuff, but don't really like it unless it's really mellow. (Nightwish, After Forever on non-growling and less heavy songs, etc.) Needless to say they're far from enthusiastic about Nu-Metal, Industrial, or Metalcore.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They go with the flow. Jive with whatever's makin' the rounds at the moment.

Which usually results to heated discussions about my "socially disturbing" music.

(Which, by the way, meant everythin' from Elvis Presley to Eminem. No matter if it isn't actually offensive - my parents want me to swallow sheet.)

[align=center]Country - They don't really mind me listening to country. They aren't big fans of country, but they like some of the stuff I listen to (like Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, and even George Strait). We're kinda 50/50 on country.

Rock/Metal - My parents are the ones that got me into rock/metal. On Rock Band 2 they know half of the songs on there. They love bands like Grateful Dead, Rage Against The Machine (mostly my dad really), etc. and I listen to alot of those bands as well. So we have the same taste in rock/metal.

So, my parents really don't mind what I listen to. They also don't care if it has swearing in it as long as I don't go around my gradparents and stuff saying it. Speaking of my older family members, they hate evertything that isn't country. They don't think it's satanic or anything, they just think it's to loud. I usually just play country around them unless I have headphones.[/align]

• 2 weeks later...

Definetely not. My mum doesn't seem to listen to much music at all even though she is an excellent classical singer. My dad listens to classical. My step-dad listens to all kinds of stuff really, but not my kind of music. I like Emo/Punk rock really, stuff like MCR/Fall Out Boy/The Academy Is.../Thrice/Hawthorne Heights/Funeral for a Friend etc.

Archived